Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

game needs restart to run properly.

theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
I am having an issue, in which when I try to run the game off the Mansion and Garden stuff disk, the game falsely runs as apartment life, and then crashes when I try to load a family. when I restart my computer, the issue is fixed. any solutions other than restarting my PC each time?
MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's been awhile since I played my discs copies, however, I recall when BV was released then H&M things changed. You had to start the game with the most recent stuff pack instead of the last EP. Which for years it wasn't that way. I think I recall they might have switched it back where you start the game with the AL disc instead of M&G, and it may depend on what patches and or what versions. Such as the store editions of TS2 are different than the code in the original discs. I hope someone else can help you, because my discs were all original and not released at later dates, so it might get too confusing.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • theFellatheFella Posts: 297 Member
    right. I will try the Apartment Life disk next time I play and see what happens.
    MeanBrilliantArrowworm-size_restricted.gif
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Have you tried going to the game files and starting with that M&G .exe? Maybe the shortcut is messing up? :smile:

Good luck!
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's been awhile since I played my discs copies, however, I recall when BV was released then H&M things changed. You had to start the game with the most recent stuff pack instead of the last EP. Which for years it wasn't that way. I think I recall they might have switched it back where you start the game with the AL disc instead of M&G, and it may depend on what patches and or what versions. Such as the store editions of TS2 are different than the code in the original discs. I hope someone else can help you, because my discs were all original and not released at later dates, so it might get too confusing.

Per the Wiki it's usually off of the most recent EP UNLESS the SP uses a newer engine. If you have everything, none of the true SP's have a newer engine.

M&G is the only exception since it is technically an EP since they added an interaction.

Unless you have a collection pack in which case you would use that pack's disc.

Source:

https://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Game_guide:Which_disc_is_used_to_start?
    SecuROM changed things with H&M, and why we started the game with H&M from then on instead of the latest EP. However, as I said I think it got changed back to latest EP and no longer stuff pack when they reworked the vesion of Securom into the code. Because BV and H&M Securom code is totally different than the Securom DRM version in M&G. And may no longer cause a problem as it did with BV or H&M. But it also depends on whether you added the all the patches, since one of Maxis patches fixed Securom from being too big of a problem though it is still there.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    SecuROM changed things with H&M, and why we started the game with H&M from then on instead of the latest EP. However, as I said I think it got changed back to latest EP and no longer stuff pack when they reworked the vesion of Securom into the code. Because BV and H&M Securom code is totally different than the Securom DRM version in M&G. And may no longer cause a problem as it did with BV or H&M. But it also depends on whether you added the all the patches, since one of Maxis patches fixed Securom from being too big of a problem though it is still there.

Very few people used the H&M disc to run Sims 2. I know I didn't and I bought the EP and SP's at their release time. I remember because I had minor issues with Securom that only showed up once I installed Bon Voyage. I never launched from the H&M disc. Ever.
    It didn't matter if they used H&M when Maxis added the launcher they also changed which disc you had to use, but as I said they changed it back later to use the EPs and not the SPs.
    It didn't matter if they used H&M when Maxis added the launcher they also changed which disc you had to use, but as I said they changed it back later to use the EPs and not the SPs.

Sims 2 got a launcher with Bon Voyage. H&M was released before Bon Voyage so the switch to latest EP used happened prior to Bon Voyage and Securom. The whole Securom issue blew up when Bon Voyage was released so it was very likely that most people never launched from H&M's disc and therefore never ran into an issue with Securom until they installed Bon Voyage as it was the first EP to have Securom bundled with it. Based on the link I posted above, it was probably Seasons as they stopped using the most recent EP as the engine for the Stuff packs. The stuff packs released between Pets and AL were all based on the Pets engine. So I think it's always been the EP or SP with the most recently released EP engine, it's just they changed what engine they used for SP's after Seasons was released. Got to love EA for changing course midway (they did it with Sims 3 and custom content and mods.)

The link I posted above however, does give the proper disc to use if you don't own everything. Which for the OP should be M&G since that is technically considered an EP. Though based on previous SP's may not have mattered either way as it is based off of the AL engine and not the Pets like IKEA Stuff. Which appears to not be working for some reason.

@theFella If you're not opposed to using Origin, you could contact EA and say that you are having issues getting the game to work properly and with a little luck and some patience as you try with multiple reps possibly be given the Sims 2 UC. In which case, I would uninstall Sims 2. If you don't have any other games that came bundled with Securom, I would look up how to remove Securom (no sense leaving it installed as it doesn't get uninstalled when you uninstall the game that put it on in the first place), and then get the UC installed. UC no longer installs Securom, however you would be tied to using Origin to play the game.
    edited August 2018
    @Seera1024, I'm not most people and I did use the H&M cd so I think I know what saying. This topic has gone way off topic trying to help the OP fix their start issues, @thefella, I apologise for that. Origin comes with it's own problems if you ask EA to give you the TS2UC digital store version.

ETA: I just thought of something the launcher was infamous for causing game to crash. Have you tried to bypass the launcher.exe? That may be part of the problem. I've bypassed it for so many years when I played my discs I forgot I had a cheat to bypass it when I did play discs. That's my last idea. :#
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    @Seera1024, I'm not most people and I did use the H&M cd so I think I know what saying. This topic has gone way off topic trying to help the OP fix their start issues, @thefella, I apologise for that. Origin comes with it's own problems if you ask EA to give you the TS2UC digital store version.

ETA: I just thought of something the launcher was infamous for causing game to crash. Have you tried to bypass the launcher.exe? That may be part of the problem. I've bypassed it for so many years when I played my discs I forgot I had a cheat to bypass it when I did play discs. That's my last idea. :#

Nothing is all good or all bad. Discs can have install issues and it takes forever and a day to do it if you own everything. Not to mention then you've got to patch everything. TS2:UC through Origin now requires online access to play it.

I wouldn't think the launcher would cause a crash when trying to load a house. I would think launcher would cause problems for loading the game and not once you're in game.

I'd suggest doing what Rflong posted and going to the .exe and not using the shortcut in case the shortcut is bad or directing to the wrong .exe.
    edited August 2018
    What Rflong posted is how to bypass the launcher by using the other .exe The short cut on desktop should normally be the launcher.exe.

ETA: Why we started by passing the launcher @Seera1024, is because in TS2 it made the game think an EP wasn't installed. This would or could cause a game to crash if you load a lot and the game thinks a SP or EP is not installed. Number one rule never play lots that don't have the SP installed. They will load but they will crash eventually. The launcher is just one of the OP's possible problems. But if I had my Seasons' disc I would dump TS2UC in a heart beat and go back to my discs. The TS2UC is a buggy mess in my opinion on many levels and is not compatible with many mods due to the combo packs it uses. ETA: OP, again I'm sorry this thread has gone off topic, I hope your game is running right. And by passing the launcher may solve some of the wrong EP playing when you load the game.
    What Rflong posted is how to bypass the launcher by using the other .exe The short cut on desktop should normally be the launcher.exe.

ETA: Why we started by passing the launcher @Seera1024, is because in TS2 it made the game think an EP wasn't installed. This would or could cause a game to crash if you load a lot and the game thinks a SP or EP is not installed. Number one rule never play lots that don't have the SP installed. They will load but they will crash eventually. The launcher is just one of the OP's possible problems. But if I had my Seasons' disc I would dump TS2UC in a heart beat and go back to my discs. The TS2UC is a buggy mess in my opinion on many levels and is not compatible with many mods due to the combo packs it uses. ETA: OP, again I'm sorry this thread has gone off topic, I hope your game is running right. And by passing the launcher may solve some of the wrong EP playing when you load the game.

I have not had a single problem with the tons of mods I have and I use the UC. So how about not spreading false information. Unless you can give me a source from one of the big Sims 2 modders: TwoJeffs, Pescado, and/or IngeJones that explains that, I'm not going to call that comment anything but a scare tactic to keep others from using the UC. I have too many mods for all of them to have no problems if there were problems with mods and the UC outside of the rare mod.

And as I've played Sims 2 since it launched, I'm fully aware of why people bypassed the launcher.

Taking had also mentioned that it might be a shortcut issue with it pointing to the wrong game, she didn't link to anything for that. Changing to the game's .exe or making sure the correct launcher is being pointed to would be the first step in seeing if that is the OP's issue.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    So, How's the game? :)
    edited August 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Sims 2 got a launcher with Bon Voyage. H&M was released before Bon Voyage so the switch to latest EP used happened prior to Bon Voyage and Securom. The whole Securom issue blew up when Bon Voyage was released so it was very likely that most people never launched from H&M's disc and therefore never ran into an issue with Securom until they installed Bon Voyage as it was the first EP to have Securom bundled with it. Based on the link I posted above, it was probably Seasons as they stopped using the most recent EP as the engine for the Stuff packs. The stuff packs released between Pets and AL were all based on the Pets engine. So I think it's always been the EP or SP with the most recently released EP engine, it's just they changed what engine they used for SP's after Seasons was released. Got to love EA for changing course midway (they did it with Sims 3 and custom content and mods.)

The link I posted above however, does give the proper disc to use if you don't own everything. Which for the OP should be M&G since that is technically considered an EP. Though based on previous SP's may not have mattered either way as it is based off of the AL engine and not the Pets like IKEA Stuff. Which appears to not be working for some reason.

@theFella If you're not opposed to using Origin, you could contact EA and say that you are having issues getting the game to work properly and with a little luck and some patience as you try with multiple reps possibly be given the Sims 2 UC. In which case, I would uninstall Sims 2. If you don't have any other games that came bundled with Securom, I would look up how to remove Securom (no sense leaving it installed as it doesn't get uninstalled when you uninstall the game that put it on in the first place), and then get the UC installed. UC no longer installs Securom, however you would be tied to using Origin to play the game.

Many mods that work with M&G will not work if you don't have AL installed that's from Inge's own mouth from statements over on MTS years ago. Did you even read another thread we both were on where Cyjon (also very famous) has stated on their own site, they can't see any proof TS2UC combo packs code is even related to the EPs/Sps they are supposed to contain...meaning they can't swear any of their mods would ever work with TS2UC. I'm sorry, OP, I hope your game gets going. Talking about mods and modders has nothing to do with this but I have to set the record straight when I am excused of spreading false information.

I keep grabbing the wrong quotes, but since the OP had a problem installing thier games in the first place, maybe a clean reinstall in order and then patch after each EP is necessary. I wouldn't advise anyone to ever install Origin. Period. Most of us OP are playing without Origin. I never installed the last patch that will tie my game to Origin so no thank you. I uninstalled Origin but kept the TS2UC and it plays fine, but then Origin issued a patch where people can't do that anymore. So, I'm not playing with Origin installed which isn't the OPs problem anyway since they are using discs and I don't know what all they installed. Or didn't get installed.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Many mods that work with M&G will not work if you don't have AL installed that's from Inge's own mouth from statements over on MTS years ago. Did you even read another thread we both were on where Cyjon (also very famous) has stated on their own site, they can't see any proof TS2UC combo packs code is even related to the EPs/Sps they are supposed to contain...meaning they can't swear any of their mods would ever work with TS2UC. I'm sorry, OP, I hope your game gets going. Talking about mods and modders has nothing to do with this but I have to set the record straight when I am excused of spreading false information.

I keep grabbing the wrong quotes, but since the OP had a problem installing thier games in the first place, maybe a clean reinstall in order and then patch after each EP is necessary. I wouldn't advise anyone to ever install Origin. Period. Most of us OP are playing without Origin. I never installed the last patch that will tie my game to Origin so no thank you. I uninstalled Origin but kept the TS2UC and it plays fine, but then Origin issued a patch where people can't do that anymore. So, I'm not playing with Origin installed which isn't the OPs problem anyway since they are using discs and I don't know what all they installed. Or didn't get installed.

Saying they can't say it will work is different from actual reports of mods working. While they may not be able to see the code, there would be tons of reports that the mods don't work if there were actual issues. Seeing as how that I have a lot of mods installed and have played on the UC for ages, that it would likely only be the rare mod that had issues. But if you do have problems with mods, it should probably be mentioned if you are using the UC or discs. You were claiming that most mods have problems, which is false. Mods with Sims 2 only ever had issues if the code changed. EA would not have done any major code changing to release Sims 2 for free.

Mod problems with M&G but no AL is unique only to players without the UC installed. Not sure how that has anything to do with modders not being able to verify the code with the UC in order to say if their mods would work or not. Which is also different from stating that mods have problems with UC.

As for Origin, it's why I prefaced my UC suggestion with if you aren't opposed to Origin. Some people, like myself, aren't. But I fully get and understand why some people don't like Origin. I only switched to the UC because I was too lazy to install from the discs when I got a new computer. As my last time installing on a new computer I had to jump through hoops to install (including installing some patches in Safe Mode).
    As I said modders have stated the combo packs TS2UC uses do not coincide sometimes with the individual EPs they contain. I hope the OP does have their game working as this is my last post on this thread, out of respect for the OP and the two of us taking their thread way off topic.