Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Polls should have their own forum category

The Speculation and Rumors section have been awash with junk, repetitive polls for a while now. Most of these polls have nothing to do with speculation or rumors but rather, are “what would you like to see next?” type polls. Please make a separate category, so the Speculation and Rumors section can be fun again

Comments

• EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Thank you for the feedback!

In all honesty I think polls are fine as a part of a forum environment as they are still discussions. If you feel a thread is a duplicate of another one, please don't hesitate to report it and the moderation team will review.

But I am open to a discussion :)
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I did notice the repeating polls. I don’t think they should be their own section though. I just think people should stop making polls asking the same questions over and over again.
  • agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    edited August 2018
    EA_Mage wrote: »

In all honesty I think polls are fine as a part of a forum environment as they are still discussions. If you feel a thread is a duplicate of another one, please don't hesitate to report it and the moderation team will review.

The problem is the nature of the polls means that it will always be repetitive. What will you like to see next is always a relevant question when a new cycle of patch or DLC comes out, so the same question will be repeated again and again. Everytime new content comes out, variations of the same poll will repeat and cover the front page but they will technically be a "fresh" poll. I notice that the same people are spamming slightly different variations of poll questions sometimes...maybe limit posters to one poll per week?
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    agent_bev wrote: »
    EA_Mage wrote: »

The problem is the nature of the polls means that it will always be repetitive. What will you like to see next is always a relevant question when a new cycle of patch or DLC comes out, so the same question will be repeated again and again. Everytime new content comes out, variations of the same poll will repeat and cover the front page but they will technically be a "fresh" poll. I notice that the same people are spamming slightly different variations of poll questions sometimes...maybe limit posters to one poll per week?

I can think of a couple people who will make a poll changing a few words different from a poll someone has already made.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Not sure if just me, but if a poll has a similar discussion topic to that of an older poll covering essentially the same thing (i.e. favorite pack polls) then it should all be shoved into that one poll. A new poll about that discussion topic would only need to be created should the old poll of a similar topic had been closed down for some reason. Answering the same exact questions, albeit sometimes worded differently, in polls is getting quite boring.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I disagree. Since I was the first person here to ever complain because of lack of polls and no polls at all on The Sims site, I'm happy to see people delve into polling and find out things maybe (if possible) the devs could maybe look at sometime, one day, or at least give a sense of community to the community for thinking alike or even differently from each other. I just looked at the front page. None of the polls on the first page look like they are the same subject to me. And those are the ones that are being answered and keeping them on the front page. Every subject asked in those polls are different.

And some of our members do some things the community has come to expect. Like speculation about the monthly patch. That's a repeat subject every month, is it not? But we all love the person who contributes his thoughts to the site so specualting about what free content or bug fix may come out every month has become part of the fabric of Speculaion. I would hate to see a thread like that also get removed for being a repetition of something in speculation done every month.

Repeats on a monthly basis also happen in every area of the TS4 forums. Such as repeating the news threads about EPs done by a particular player. Gathering all the news, quotes and tweats and information shared. If we are going to request things be deleted or given their own sections then we must look at the forum as a whole in my opinion. Most of us look forward to that sort of thread which is done every time a new EP or GP/SP is announced. We wouldn't want such a thing to end just because it was repeated.

If you want to be fair then I'm all for them looking at every section that has repeat topics...but just because something has a normal repetition doesn't mean it should be taken down or moved to it's on section.

And besides Speculation isn't much fun right now anyway with nothing to speculate about. o:) But you can be assured once a EP or something is known, there will be repeated polls to ask if you like it or not. But I have a fondness for polls since I was the only person complaining for the lack of them when this site was opened and until they implemented them. Poll away! :)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Eoinie27Eoinie27 Posts: 3 New Member
    I agree. It would be much easier to access polls, also giving oppurtunites for people to vote on other polls. Polls are key to getting research in a lot of circumstances. Also, people know that there isn't going to be annoying polls to scroll through if they are entering another topic
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    I can see both sides. I agree that polls should be apart of forum discussions, however, if there are always "repeating" polls for example "What Bugs should be fixed immediately?" and "What do you think the monthly patch will bring?", why not create a separate place for them as well. Just my $0.02 worth. :)
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    If the forum was getting absolutely flooded with polls, I would agree it should have its own category. But it's really not. I do think that polls that have been repeated in a short period of time should be combined or have the repeat poll closed, though.
    hyrulerose wrote: »
    If the forum was getting absolutely flooded with polls, I would agree it should have its own category. But it's really not. I do think that polls that have been repeated in a short period of time should be combined or have the repeat poll closed, though.

Yes, that's also a better idea as well. I've especially seen 'favorite pack' polls being repeated only a month and even less than a month after the last one. Just because it's been bumped off the first page doesn't exactly mean they are no longer relevant. Only timestamps can determine that. I just have a quip about favorite pack polls honestly.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    I like Polls.
    I wouldn't like similar ones to be gathered up in one thread. I change my mind from time to time, depending on new Packs and Patches and might give a different answer on a later one than an earlier one and on the way the Poll is worded or extra options listed.
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    I would comment my opinion but seeing as though I am the poll queen I shall hush up :D:D
    2llotup.jpg
    The Best of Hunni's Builds
    Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I think we need to have a poll asking if people want a separate poll section...

*Slinks out door before people start throwing things*
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    edited August 2018
    Movotti wrote: »
    I think we need to have a poll asking if people want a separate poll section...

*Slinks out door before people start throwing things*

latest?cb=20121226055936