Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All these danged calls about new friends... Oh gawd please make them stop

WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 367 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Why oh why oh why did they code this into the game? For what unearthly purpose do these repeated calls that zap me out of super-fast mode serve???? I haven't yet found a current mod to end the madness. Developers, what were you thinking??? * end of rant * :D
Post edited by Wndblwz on

Comments

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I agree. The whole I see you became good friends with so and so is a bit ridiculous.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I think it's kind of weird that your sims' friends know that you made a new friend shortly after it happens. Feels like they're constantly keeping tabs on my sims' lives. I like the congratulations on relationship/new baby texts, though. That's more realistically the type of news that would spread quickly through friends and family groups.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    The absolutely worst part about this feature is when someone texts to your sim to say "I heard you became good friends with your child / parent, he/she is really cool!". Stalker much? Stop watching my family pls :joy:

This and the fact that when you ask sim parents about their kids or familiy members through the "ask about other sim" option and get "he / she is really cool" (as if they were some people they met at a bar) are honestly two features I'd scrap / completely change in an instant if it were up to me :D

I mean, how hard is it to code in an answer specific for family members? "X is my child / mother / grandfather ... they are [insert text based on current / parenthood relationship with sim]"?? But yes, back to the feature in the OP: these messages are indeed entirely ridiculous. And I wouldn't miss them one bit if they were gone :D
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    It almost sounds as if the game was programmed at a time when Sims weren't expected to have children, spouses, and extended family members. As if, perhaps, this function was a holdover from the TS4 online days.

However, why on earth would an online game require such a function when there should have been a world of real people, sending real in-game texts to the player? It's just really odd.

The only other assumption that I can make (and, unfortunately, the most likely) is that the game was too rushed to bother with the fine details and nuance of different types of relationships.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    I took my sim out of the last save she was in and started another one, just so she could have NO FRIENDS that would call her and ruin my gameplay.

But I did get Seasons, and silly me, I forgot all about Father Winter coming over on holidays. Now he keeps calling and knocking me back to slow speed over and over and OVER again. He wants to go party on the bluffs, hit up ghost night at the bar, go shopping at the Flea Market, go hang out at the opera....the guy is so needy, it's like he never sleeps thinking up excuses to call me and sabotage my peaceful relaxed flow again. Just when I think it over, he's calling to congratulate me on that promotion......

My game has become such an awful grind, and it takes forever to get anywhere when you're trying to do something, because I spend a so much time clicking this stuff off of my screen, and speeding it back to where it's supposed to be again. Ugh, just ugh.

I'm at the point that I actually want to kill him and make it stop, but that won't solve anything, because there will be another one. And no matter what you do, one way or another, this game just seems to find ways to get you no matter what with these stupid phone calls. On the last sim I played, it was the HERMIT doing all of this stuff!

I don't understand what kind of logic would have driven this to ever get programmed into the game in the first place. If this was somehow supposed to make everything somehow more fun, it's very much having the opposite effect. Getting annoyed to death when I'm trying to play a goal-oriented session is very much the opposite of fun, and I'm seriously at my wits' end over it. It should be a simple thing to log on the the game, and be able to just PLAY. Why it there so much stuff like this that makes it so hard?
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    Deenab wrote: »
    Why oh why oh why did they code this into the game? For what unearthly purpose do these repeated calls that zap me out of super-fast mode serve???? I haven't yet found a current mod to end the madness. Developers, what were you thinking??? * end of rant * :D

Use this: http://modthesims.info/d/605441

With it, you won't receive ANY phone calls from sims you have not first exchanged numbers with. It's amazing.

• Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hint/Tip: There is something you can do without using a mod to stop calls from kicking your game out of the fastest speed mode. If you 'silence' your Sims phones, when they get a call while they're sleeping in speed 3 mode, any calls they recieve will NOT kick them into speed 1. If I remember correctly it was @Cupid who provided this wonderful tip in another thread quite awhile ago. :) My apologies for tagging you Cupid if it wasn't you.

EDIT: Credit for Tip to @Chazzzy
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Hint/Tip: There is something you can do without using a mod to stop calls from kicking your game out of the fastest speed mode. If you 'silence' your Sims phones, when they get a call while they're sleeping in speed 3 mode, any calls they recieve will NOT kick them into speed 1. If I remember correctly it was @Cupid who provided this wonderful tip in another thread quite awhile ago. :) My apologies for tagging you Cupid if it wasn't you.

Lol, that's a nice tip but I can't take credit for it! I don't think it came from me :D
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    This has been driving me bonkers as well! The tip about silencing the phone is a good one. I did so when on vacation in Granite Falls, and my camping trip has never been so peaceful! If you don't mind using mods, MCCC also has a setting that lets SOME texts/calls pass through, like if you still want to be invited to festivals. Its brilliant and removes a big annoyance I have with the game :)

How anyone would think this is a fun feature, is beyond me.
  • WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 367 Member

(Since I cheat ALL the time)... :wink: my Sims don't sleep. I think I tried to silence the phones and it didn't work except for under circumstances I can't remember. I'll give it another try. Thanks.
  • WndblwzWndblwz Posts: 367 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    Deenab wrote: »

Use this: http://modthesims.info/d/605441

With it, you won't receive ANY phone calls from sims you have not first exchanged numbers with. It's amazing.

Yes! Thanks!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Cupid wrote: »

Lol, that's a nice tip but I can't take credit for it! I don't think it came from me :D

Nope, it actually came from @Chazzzy I looked it up. He (She?) actually just reminded me about the 'silence' phone option and I discovered on my own doing so would allow my Sims to continue sleeping in super fast mode.
  • SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    The absolutely worst part about this feature is when someone texts to your sim to say "I heard you became good friends with your child / parent, he/she is really cool!". Stalker much? Stop watching my family pls :joy:

It's even creepier when the person who texts that to you is a ghost.

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member

So true :/
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Do not socialize outside the family in sims 4, you're doomed if you do.
    SiliClone wrote: »
    Do not socialize outside the family in sims 4, you're doomed if you do.

I feel like Homer Simpson when I say, "It's funny because it's true."

What's sad is, in all previous Sims games, you would be in trouble if you just stayed at home and socialized with the family -- your Sims wanted to go out, meet people, do things with others, socialize, etc, unless they were loners. But in Sims 4, the game almost punishes you for doing the things that were necessary in prior games.

Don't go meet a stranger... if you never see them again, you will get a call some weeks from now saying this mysterious person you've only seen once is dead, and you'll be as sad as when your own mother dies. Etc.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I hate this. It’s ridiculous when it’s some random stranger your sim met once three seasons ago calling to congratulate you on becoming good friends with your toddler. Or worse, if your sim cheats on their spouse or gets involved with a sim with a spouse, more often than not they will get a text from either their spouse or their new boyfriend/girlfriends spouse congratulating them on getting with them.

Because of course that’s a normal reaction right? You have just found out your husband is cheating with your friend:

“I know, Let’s send him a message hoping they will be very happy together!”

Seems a reasonable response right?! Right?!

Said no one ever.
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    edited August 2018

It also ruins immersion. I was really attached to some Sims who then died and I was a bit upset because they were my favorites. But then they kept calling the whole family all the time. Promotion? Phone call. New baby? Phone call. New friend? Phone call. At some point I really lost all that attachment I had to that ghost Sim and just wanted them to be gone forever like they're supposed to because they annoyed the hell out of me.

I'm also still baffled the "Silence phone" option just deactivates sound. The first times I thought my game was bugged because I was sure this option was supposed to turn off any notifications. But nope, it just deactivates sound.

Really makes me miss the old Sims games where you had to actually go to the landline phone and answer it or check your mail instead of being spammed with notifications against your will.
    If one of my Sims actually had a real automatic interaction to congratulate another family member on a promotion then it would be kind of cute. Remember how Sims 2 had children running to their parents when they got a good grade? It was adorable and so much better than annoying pop-ups with the same repetitive message.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    So, my Sims had a big sad over Jana dying, even the grandchild who had never met her grandmother. However, it did make sense for Jana's daughter to be upset, even if they lived in different households, so I'm fine with this. Except that grandma isn't really gone - her ghost keeps calling and sending texts to her daughter. Be dead, okay?
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    The idea of these text isn't so bad in general, just the execution is rather poor. I find it also weird that these texts are usually send by Sims that my Sim doesn't know very well. So... what's your point? You're suggesting that you want to be my friend too or what?
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited August 2018
    There's a mod that overhauls the invitations since long:
    http://www.deichschafblog.de/s4/sonstige-mods/ (extendedinvitationsoverhaul)
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
    The idea of these text isn't so bad in general, just the execution is rather poor. I find it also weird that these texts are usually send by Sims that my Sim doesn't know very well. So... what's your point? You're suggesting that you want to be my friend too or what?

The problem is that, like death calls, whoever implemented them did an incredibly sloppy or lazy job of it. With death calls, it seems like all the game does is load the database list of all Sims met by the dying Sim ever, and executes the "death call()" function. The programmer of this little nugget does not seem to have bothered to include some sort of if/else checking routine to check on the relationship status of the recipient of the call. Heck it was done so sloppily/carelessly that even toddlers get death calls, despite the fact that they don't have a phone. The phone "rings" and when you try to answer it, the game gives you a nasty message telling you toddlers don't have phones, as if you should have known better, and then the toddler who has only ever met this stranger once, gets a 2-day Very Sad moodlet.

The same seems to be happening with these "new friend" calls. Obviously I can't say how it is programmed but from the viewpoint of a player observing the outcome, the game appears, upon you making a new friend with a Sim, to load up the list all other Sims your character has ever met, and then randomly choose one to send you the text. Relationship status is not checked. Even if they are ALIVE is not checked.

Again this is a super lazy, or sloppy, way to implement this. Surely the "friendship_call()" function could include some code to throw out all dead Sims before choosing one of the other random ones. I mean, I can understand how cross-referencing all the possible relationships might be hard -- so although they should NOT have John's wife tell you how happy she is that you and John are now a couple, I can see how coding this might take some effort. But coding an "if alive()" check should be trivially easy. (If it's not, they have much bigger problems with this game.)
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    ive got my fingers crossed this is being worked on. in my new game, my sim got a 2 day sad buff as she got a death text however there was no name. i have no idea which sim died but my sim was devastated for 2 days. that is not cool.

i dont mind the congrats messages for job promotions, weddings or baby births but everything else is too much, too often, and too annoying.

id like to go back to the sims 2 days where if you wanted a mobile phone for your sim, you went down to the store and bought one. if the current sims 'need' to be connected to a device, change it to a tablet. tablets can do all of the things the mobile can without the calls and sms. sure, it could have social media notifications but we could silence them too.

bring back the fixed phone on the wall/end table so it needs to be answered before news is spread. it could even have a messagebank feature where the annoying messages could build up and much like our 200 wall notification it could have a max where things are either deleted when a new message comes in or rejected coz its full. hopefully it could be silenced so no more calls are ever heard again then its all happy days!
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I agree. The whole I see you became good friends with so and so is a bit ridiculous.

I hate it too. It is one of the more annoying things that sims do.

Or when your sim stars dating somebody. It's only hilarious when it's someone your sim is already dating saying I heard you started dating so and so congrats. Shouldn't they be jealous or something? I think the only time this should happen is if your sim has completed Serial Romantic aspiration and earned the Player trait otherwise the sim your sim is dating should be furious and call your sim a lying cheating and threaten to break up with them.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]