Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Toddler Frustrations

I don't know what person on the Sims team dealt with the Toddlers but my God at this point in time I don't even want to deal with them. Hard to even spend time with them if you work. Takes for ever for them to pee. I got to get them up and ready before I leave for work or they'll be miserable all day at the daycare. It's a daycare! Have their needs taken care of when I pick them up. That's the whole purpose of a daycare. My babies are hungry but every time I put her in the high chair the little brat calls for me so I pick her back up and take her back out (even though I just told my mother sim to grab a serving of food for the child she ignores it). So now they're eating on the floor like savages. I don't know what lucky person got to run their parent when they were little but when my mother said it was time to eat we ate. So if I put my toddler in the chair it'd be nice to feed her before I have to stand there and watch her throw a tantrum cause she is hungry even though I've been trying to feed her for the last five minutes. That whole thing where it ignores what we say because the toddler is calling needs to be taken out. That's just absurd.

Origin ID: cherrylush
srLMvZf.gif

Comments

• Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    @Suffice123 I was just coming on to see if anyone is having issues with this whole "toddler thing" . I just recently started a Family, and had a child... oh boy...absolutely ridiculous. The standing around issue that has been evident in the game for a long time, is a true stumbling block when it comes to adding a toddler in the mix. You tell someone to do something, to feed a child, and the time they just stand there, you are getting a notification that your child is hungry and you better feed them, I have been trying to feed them for the last 4 sims hours and some.

I would think well maybe it's just something up with my computer, but no-- I have watched a person that is a gamer, get completely overwhelmed with the standing around, the toddlers, and how chaotic this game can be because something is just not right in the game. Very frustrating to play.
  • Options
    Suffice123Suffice123 Posts: 214 Member
    edited August 2018
    @brenleedee I have that issue too. They stand around so long and do nothing. Sometimes until the action goes away. I'm not saying it should be easy to take care of toddlers but I mean it would be nice to spend some quality time with them while also getting all of their needs to level 3 or higher so they have a head start on skills as kids. It's literally all day trying to take care of your needs and theirs. Right now I'm just pretty much sitting their food out now and then have them grab a serving so they can eat. I just wish it was a bit more enjoyable.

srLMvZf.gif

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    edited August 2018
    The toddler high chair issue you describe drives me crazy! To add to to that; why if a toddler is standing in the same room as their parent and they ask a parent to help them with the potty, the parent in response to that will put the kid in the high chair only to remove them when you ask again. I’ve noticed parents randomly putting toddlers in high chairs when toddlers ask them for help and it’s not food related.

Bugs are unacceptable at this point.
  • Options
    @MidnightAura Yes! I noticed that. It's ridiculous to put a child in a high chair just to have a conversation or ask the child is they want to take a bath. I don't care what my toddler wants! I have to take care of his or her needs. I get it if they throw tantrums but when its a hinder to the parents to take care of the toddler then it needs to be taken out. I'm tired of trying to feed them and she keeps taking them out the high chair.

srLMvZf.gif

• Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I totally agree about the last part, it's absurd that is the toddler ruling about the high chair.
  • Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    Get rid of the high chair!!! Put a little kid chair - the little bear chair - next to the table (not facing the table, as they won't be able to sit in them), and put a plate or serving dish on a counter, and have the toddler grab the food. They'll sit in their little chair while the rest of the family eats at the table. And they won't throw the food, either.

Seriously - getting rid of the high chair eliminates so much trouble, you'll have plenty of time to teach them and play with them and keep their needs in the green.

When they coded it, I think they gave it too many options. IIRC, with Sims 3, you could click on the high chair to either give the child a bottle or give the child food, and the only food was a bowl of mush. It was all one interaction. Now, putting the child in the chair is separate from the 'give food' interaction, so the toddler can queue up a 'let me out' interaction in between, or another adult can queue up a 'take toddler out' or 'give food' interaction in between putting the child in the chair and giving the food.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    None of my kitchen or dining rooms have high chairs anymore because I appreciate my time and my mental state :D
    All my kitchens and dining rooms come with armchairs and/or sofas so they can sit and eat there while the rest of the family eats nearby.

The "read to sleep" is also really bugged and most of the times the parents would do the sign of "can't go there" for no apparent reason and cancel the action.

As for when parents are away, I always hire a babysitter instead of sending them to daycare. With the babysitter you can still play with the toddlers and have them work on their skills and ask the sitter for whatever they need.

Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    None of my kitchen or dining rooms have high chairs anymore because I appreciate my time and my mental state :D
    All my kitchens and dining rooms come with armchairs and/or sofas so they can sit and eat there while the rest of the family eats nearby.

The "read to sleep" is also really bugged and most of the times the parents would do the sign of "can't go there" for no apparent reason and cancel the action.

As for when parents are away, I always hire a babysitter instead of sending them to daycare. With the babysitter you can still play with the toddlers and have them work on their skills and ask the sitter for whatever they need.

I kept moving the bed thinking they couldn't get there
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    horror_obsessedhorror_obsessed Posts: 21 Member
    I used to be happy when my sims would give birth to twins or triplets... but now I flip out! Dealing with ONE toddler is madness. Anything more is pure insanity.
  • Options
    I used to be happy when my sims would give birth to twins or triplets... but now I flip out! Dealing with ONE toddler is madness. Anything more is pure insanity.

Now, I am different than you XD. I want triplets in my game really bad, but I can't seem to get them not matter what I do. I think the toddlers are so adorable yet challenging which I love so much in sims 4. They were never challenging before. In one of my save files, I have a adult that looks after 5 toddlers by herself with Patchy.
    Top Tips for looking after Toddlers:
    Don't use the high chair- I let the toddlers grab food and let them eat on the couch.
    Get their thinking skills up with the tablet- helps the toddlers to have less nightmares and a good night sleep.
    Leave the toddlers on the potty- they will do it themselves.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I have one household with 4 toddlers and one with 2 toddlers and 2 babies.

Toddlers are a handful, and I really really want a kids table and chairs that they will eat at, I'm so tired of them going to the bedroom or the couch to eat.
    The highchair seems to get stuck when someone else had the kid in their queue, if I find out who and x it out it seems to help, but is frustrating having to do that.
    I think this game has the best toddlers so far and I play them in every household with aging off until I'm ready to age them up.
    You can discipline them for tantrums, or give them a talking to and that seems to help. Letting them go to bed before they are very tired also helps, and you can build their relationship by having them interact with each other, it is fun to see them just take off with it and keep it going themselves.
    They do take too long to potty and I hate it when the parents just stand there, but I think it can be fixed and had to do with other sims wanting to do things with them at the same time.
  • Options
    brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    Thank you everyone, I will remove the high chair. Was just playing and it was smooth sailing for a while, even one dinner in the high chair....then it progressively got worse. I will take the recommendation of a childs chair!
  • Options

I kept moving the bed thinking they couldn't get there

It won't work if the bed is against a wall, or if there is something next to the bed blocking the space. I rarely have problems with 'read to sleep' - click on the bed to select it, and the parent will just scoop up the toddler and put him or her to bed. The one issue I've had has been with thunderstorms. The toddler tries to 'run inside', and after that, 'read to sleep' just won't work.
  • Options
    megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    I'm experiencing the same issues, and what I usually do is move one parent and the child to another home while he or she's in this life stage because if not, man, I would go crazy :D
  • Options
    simplyzoe wrote: »

Toddlers are a handful, and I really really want a kids table and chairs that they will eat at, I'm so tired of them going to the bedroom or the couch to eat.
    The highchair seems to get stuck when someone else had the kid in their queue, if I find out who and x it out it seems to help, but is frustrating having to do that.
    I think this game has the best toddlers so far and I play them in every household with aging off until I'm ready to age them up.
    You can discipline them for tantrums, or give them a talking to and that seems to help. Letting them go to bed before they are very tired also helps, and you can build their relationship by having them interact with each other, it is fun to see them just take off with it and keep it going themselves.
    They do take too long to potty and I hate it when the parents just stand there, but I think it can be fixed and had to do with other sims wanting to do things with them at the same time.

You can always put them on the potty and cancel the action because they will do it themselves.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    Toddlers are cute and can be quite fun but they are also riddled with frustrating bugs. I really wish they would fix some of these, especially the high-chair bug -- holy moley!

It also drives me up the wall that a toddler will take a serving of food and walk outside to eat it in the rain or cold, instead of going to the couch that is RIGHT THERE to eat it.
  • Options
    Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    edited August 2018

I thought the overlapping with toddler interactions had stopped with the last patch. It stopped in my game. If one parent is doing something with the toddler the other is no longer constantly interrupting causing glitchy actions that get stuck. At least that was my understanding on what was fixed with toddlers in the last patch. I may be wrong here, but I just haven’t had the bolded issue since last weeks patch. My poor toddlers have some peace now. Are you still currently having this issue with the high chair?

Edit: “Two Sims can no longer try to pick up/wrangle a toddler at the same time” this was what was in the patch notes last week so it is my understanding your sims should not be trying to interact with the toddler at the same time anymore even in the high chair which is a glitchy item to begin with.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Akl500P wrote: »

I thought the overlapping with toddler interactions had stopped with the last patch. It stopped in my game. If one parent is doing something with the toddler the other is no longer constantly interrupting causing glitchy actions that get stuck. At least that was my understanding on what was fixed with toddlers in the last patch. I may be wrong here, but I just haven’t had the bolded issue since last weeks patch. My poor toddlers have some peace now. Are you still currently having this issue with the high chair?

Edit: “Two Sims can no longer try to pick up/wrangle a toddler at the same time” this was what was in the patch notes last week so it is my understanding your sims should not be trying to interact with the toddler at the same time anymore even in the high chair which is a glitchy item to begin with.

That's how it works in my game as well since the new patch. All fixed for me as well.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Toddlers are cute and can be quite fun but they are also riddled with frustrating bugs. I really wish they would fix some of these, especially the high-chair bug -- holy moley!

It also drives me up the wall that a toddler will take a serving of food and walk outside to eat it in the rain or cold, instead of going to the couch that is RIGHT THERE to eat it.

I haven't really noticed the high chair bug since the latest patch so it may have been fixed for me.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    @invisiblgirl I kept it but i quit trying to feed them in it once they get to a certain level of hungriness. You can click on the highchair and click food first to make them eat but i don't always like to feed them that quick junk. I want them to have a real hot meal. I quit stressing myself with it though and just put the plate out and called to meal and made sure they got a serving. Cause man it was driving me crazy.

@AlbaWaterhouse I used to have that problem a lot. Either something is in the way or most of the time it works fine for me but I have to pick the child up first then click at the top of the bed near the pillow and it'll do it then. Otherwise it'll give me the can't go there bubble.

@horror_obsessed Yes! They were a lot easier to tend to and teach in Sims 3. Now it's an all day thing. I quit trying to max out they're skill and just make sure they're all to level 3 before their birthdays come around. If I have the money I'll keep the nanny around the house on my days off from work to help me with giving baths and meals. I give the baths every other day. She can also help with their kills on the Nesting blocks. She as in Nanny Coleman. She's my favorite. Very attentive and cleans up.

@xxnearlyperfectx Yes after they reach level 2 potty I let them go to the restroom themselves unless they continue to make a mess when they use the bathroom then I teach them a few more times. My Sim got pregnant in the San Myushino apartment that is on a ley line so when I gave birth I gave birth to twin girls. I don't remember having triplets yet. My Sim now has 4 girls. I sent the youngest to live with her father cause we had no more room. They live in willow creek.

srLMvZf.gif

• Options
    @simplyzoe Whoo girl! You have your hands full. And yes a nice childrens table would be fun. Yes. The only thing with that is I still want my other sims to be aging. But once you turn it off it turns off for every. I guess I could do it manually and just count down days for the others. Thats a good idea.

@megaluci00 Lmao. Its come to that cause man I got really frustrated the day I posted this. I was at my wits end.

@SimChessack Lmao ikr. One of my toddlers (who is now a young adult) would take her Tablet outside and sit beside the house. I'd have to cancel it out and make her sit in the chair first then click on the tablet and choose an option otherwise she'd go outside in any weather. I hate when they don't use the dining table to eat. Or when they grab a serving during breakfast (when I'm getting whole house ready for the day) and they stand in front of the fridge blocking everyone else from eating.

@Writin_Reg @Akl500P @stilljustme2 Lucky!!

srLMvZf.gif

• Options
    PastelMermaidPastelMermaid Posts: 1,298 Member

Or they un-tuck themselves and get up when the book is finished...
    tumblr_nvqukkenkr1udwsc5o7_250.gif

"wahoo" - aquaman
  • Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member

Or they un-tuck themselves and get up when the book is finished...

Yes :D
    That cracks me up though!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    Suffice123 wrote: »
    @invisiblgirl I kept it but i quit trying to feed them in it once they get to a certain level of hungriness. You can click on the highchair and click food first to make them eat but i don't always like to feed them that quick junk. I want them to have a real hot meal. I quit stressing myself with it though and just put the plate out and called to meal and made sure they got a serving. Cause man it was driving me crazy.

(Snipped for brevity.) I think it does work better if you click on the 'give food' from the high chair, but after my Sim decided that apple pie was an appropriate choice of food for the toddler, I realised that Sims can't be trusted to feed their own kids properly. :smile: My adult Sims get a plate of salad in the morning and evening, and my toddlers do just fine on the same. (Especially if you have home-grown tomatoes or pomegranates for the salad, giving them the 'fresh veggies & fruit' buff.)
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    And there was a time when the lack of toddlers was the biggest complaint for two and a half years! :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg