Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartments everywhere?

M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
In Sims city living, there are so many different apartments ranging from tiny and cheap to massive and expensive but is it only me that wishes that there could be apartments every and you can make your own apartment building. I thought of this when I had a teen sims who I wanted to get really successful, just for fun. But I really wanted a tiny apartment to make it more realistic. I also wanted her to live with her parents in Windenburg but a house was too expensive.

What do guys think about this? and if there is a cheat to edit apartments, please let me know because I haven't looked that hard :sweat_smile:
hope you all are smiling x

Comments

• GageaGagea Posts: 1,275 Member
  • EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Moved this one over from Forum Feedback.

Carry on :smiley:
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    The problem with City Living is that there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid the noise coming from other apartments and I don't like random people walking into my sims' apartments. I've tried evicting neighbours, but even empty apartments generate noises?! The next best thing I found was having my two families live in the same lot. They lived in a townhouse, and by locking doors I was able to keep one family in one half and the other family in the other. I haven't found many, but there are some decent builds in the gallery. I'm also currently trying to convert the salt house into an apartment loft with two apartments and some communal areas.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I loved building apartments in the sims 2, but I hate sims 4 apartments with a passion. Not just for the noise but also for the visitors 24/7 at the door asking to get in to eat of spend time and randomly walking in for no reason without being invited. it's far better to build a dummy apartment on a regular lot.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I do not like the city living apartments at all. You can’t edit them, and there is no way to create your own buildings anywhere. Apartments are one of the most poorly executed features this game has ever gotten, and I doubt they will ever develop this feature correctly in the Sims 4.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sims 2 Apt. Life is the only Sims game that did apartments right and build-able anywhere and easily done. Both Sims 3 and 4 totally failed at apartment living and building. I never play apts in Sims 4 and just use CL for the festivals and friendships. I did try it and quickly did not like it as I do not like neighbor annoyances - never mind unable to have apts in other towns or build them myself. Makes no sense to me why a 2004 Sims game had no problem doing it right - but Sims 3 and Sims 4 both do it all wrong. Sims 4 is the worse when it comes to apts. Even though I like the game - things like apartments, small neighborhoods, no real roads, no real zoom in maps, and large family control are badly done in my view. So the best bet for me is just avoid apartments and avoid large families, then I can enjoy the game. I have my sims limited to 1 or 2 kids at most - the majority are lucky if they get 1. (That way I can play my beloved toddlers at least.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• horror_obsessedhorror_obsessed Posts: 21 Member
    I very rarely live in apartments. I prefer my sims being able to sleep rather than being awakened by intense woohooing. If it happened once every season I could handle it, but daily is waaay too often. I wish they had an option to turn off rowdy neighbors.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I do not like the city living apartments at all. You can’t edit them, and there is no way to create your own buildings anywhere. Apartments are one of the most poorly executed features this game has ever gotten, and I doubt they will ever develop this feature correctly in the Sims 4.

I know that you cannot edit the buildings' exteriors but I tear down all the walls of my Sims' apartments and rebuild and decorate the insides to my liking all the time. It comes from living in an apartment myself I suppose.

Apartment building, if we get it, will probably be one of the last features to be added I expect. I hope I am wrong as I did enjoy building them.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I actually love playing in the apartments but do agree that the neighbors can be extremely annoying in some (not all) apartments and I sometimes wish I could remove the needs TLC trait from some apartments. But, I almost feel like currently, these interruptions seem to be happening a tiny bit less frequently. I may be imagining this. I honestly wish we could just add that one trait from the arts district that makes neighbors quiet to you and you to them everywhere & some fixed traits could be removed. Because I'd love to live in the smaller apartments without them sometimes.
  • suzanna13suzanna13 Posts: 1,426 Member
    I would like to build the type of apartments my friends and I rented when we first left home. They were either houses converted into 2 or 3 apartments or flats above businesses. Which brings my to another problem that is why sims can't live above their own business without the hassle of having a second empty lot. I don't mind the spice district apartments other than for the annoying neighbours and in sims 2 the neighbors were also noisy.
  • M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    The problem with City Living is that there doesn't seem to be any way to avoid the noise coming from other apartments and I don't like random people walking into my sims' apartments. I've tried evicting neighbours, but even empty apartments generate noises?! The next best thing I found was having my two families live in the same lot. They lived in a townhouse, and by locking doors I was able to keep one family in one half and the other family in the other. I haven't found many, but there are some decent builds in the gallery. I'm also currently trying to convert the salt house into an apartment loft with two apartments and some communal areas.

I think there is a lot trait for apartments that it called quiet or silent. It basically means no noise will come from it
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    edited August 2018
    I acutally like the apartment visitors and the noise. I'ts realistic and it makes me feel like I'm more connected to the environment. Sims usually exist in a bubble, so the deeper integration in apartments is a welcome addition by me.

However, I'd love to be able to build my own apartments. Also, since apartments are stacked in reality, I don't understand why we have such few apartments per building available to use. We should have instead of 2-3 per building something like 8-12 and to view them you just click the up and down arrow like you do to see different floors. They could all be identical, which is realistic too, and we can decorate them, anyway.

Also, for those who want quiet, does the game still put people in neighboring apartments if you untick 'fill empty houses' in the game settings?
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sims 2 Apt. Life is the only Sims game that did apartments right and build-able anywhere and easily done. Both Sims 3 and 4 totally failed at apartment living and building. I never play apts in Sims 4 and just use CL for the festivals and friendships. I did try it and quickly did not like it as I do not like neighbor annoyances - never mind unable to have apts in other towns or build them myself. Makes no sense to me why a 2004 Sims game had no problem doing it right - but Sims 3 and Sims 4 both do it all wrong. Sims 4 is the worse when it comes to apts. Even though I like the game - things like apartments, small neighborhoods, no real roads, no real zoom in maps, and large family control are badly done in my view. So the best bet for me is just avoid apartments and avoid large families, then I can enjoy the game. I have my sims limited to 1 or 2 kids at most - the majority are lucky if they get 1. (That way I can play my beloved toddlers at least.)

I used to build so many awesome lots in Sims 2 using the apartment cheats. Cannot do that in the newest version I am stuck with a handful of (IMO) poorly designed units that don’t reflect my own apartment experience. One of the biggest mistakes they made aside from the whole design of apartments was locking the interesting gameplay into like 2 of them. No leaky pipes, sparking utility boxes, mice, roaches or anything in any residence beyond those two apartments.
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member

I think there is a lot trait for apartments that it called quiet or silent. It basically means no noise will come from it

I did not know that, thanks, I'll make sure to check next time!
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I personally love apartments, but I do wish there were more of them. The only one I truly enjoy is Alto Apartments; the rest are too big or too small for my tastes. I'd like the option of being able to make our own, that would be cool.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    In Sims city living, there are so many different apartments ranging from tiny and cheap to massive and expensive but is it only me that wishes that there could be apartments every and you can make your own apartment building. I thought of this when I had a teen sims who I wanted to get really successful, just for fun. But I really wanted a tiny apartment to make it more realistic. I also wanted her to live with her parents in Windenburg but a house was too expensive.

What do guys think about this? and if there is a cheat to edit apartments, please let me know because I haven't looked that hard :sweat_smile:

I would love to build Apts and also edit them but EA/Maxis had denied the players that option. CL right now is on my unpopular list for that reason. I wish I can build outside of the city that came with CL an forced playground of an city but I can't do that. For there are not an lot of editing tools in building that allows the player to alter thier lot or neighborhood for that matter. I have not seen any cheats that allow the user to edit thier apt and if there are it is only within the confines of your apt and not the common areas, no true building of Apts from scratch. :(
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited August 2018

I've been annoyed with the way noisy neighbors are implemented in this game. In sims 2, you would only have noise disrupting a room if your wall is adjacent to a neighboring apartment. Other rooms would be unaffected. Then you got to watch the funny animation of your sim angerly banging on the wall. I would like to see something more like sims 2. The sims 4 way is too much.

I've tried the townhouse thing, but I found my sims spent their whole time trying to get into the other family's space. That was a very short lived experience for me. There should be a way to designate living space like they had in sims 2. I think if they brought back many aspects of sims 2 apartments, we all would be happy. The sims 2 system was rock solid.

Sims 2 was pretty advanced for its time.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member

I've been annoyed with the way noisy neighbors are implemented in this game. In sims 2, you would only have noise disrupting a room if your wall is adjacent to a neighboring apartment. Other rooms would be unaffected. Then you got to watch the funny animation of your sim angerly banging on the wall. I would like to see something more like sims 2. The sims 4 way is too much.

I've tried the townhouse thing, but I found my sims spent their whole time trying to get into the other family's space. That was a very short lived experience for me. There should be a way to designate living space like they had in sims 2. I think if they brought back many aspects of sims 2 apartments, we all would be happy. The sims 2 system was rock solid.

Sims 2 was pretty advanced for its time.

Totally agree.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Sims 2 Apt. Life is the only Sims game that did apartments right <snip>

I'd have to agree with that, the way they did it in TS2 was brilliant, I particularly liked the San Fransico type lots they had. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I had the misfortune of renting out an apartment with the lively neighbors trait. One particular neighbor is loud every night. I moved my sim out of there and am looking to put someone in there who works a late evening job, so that won't be much of an issue.
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I think everyone wants this, tbh.

Hopefully when Maxis inevitably releases University, they'll learn from their mistakes and make dorms 100% buildable. Not much difference between a dorm and an apartment building (functionally speaking), so even if Maxis doesn't release buildable apartments, I have faith that a modder will be able to repurpose the code to add apartments as a new building type.
    wJbomAo.png
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited August 2018
    I very rarely live in apartments. I prefer my sims being able to sleep rather than being awakened by intense woohooing. If it happened once every season I could handle it, but daily is waaay too often. I wish they had an option to turn off rowdy neighbors.

Daily? You're lucky... It was 5 times a day for me.

Ps: The "quiet" trait is a locked trait specific of some apt and it's not usable by the player unless you unlock it with a mod, like the need TLC one. And even then, you have to add it to every apt in the building to make it works.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited August 2018
    SiliClone wrote: »

Daily? You're lucky... It was 5 times a day for me.

Ps: The "quiet" trait is a locked trait specific of some apt and it's not usable by the player unless you unlock it with a mod, like the need TLC one. And even then, you have to add it to every apt in the building to make it works.

Also, the Quiet lot trait is not as it is intended; if you live in an appt that has the trait, your neighbors won't make noise but any loud noise you make, THEY can hear. If you live in an appt that neighbors one with the trait instead, you will continue to hear noises from their "Quiet" appt. I've had very personal experiences with this when I was playing in that appt. I'm not even sure if it's even by design or a bug.

Update: I posted a query about the Quiet lot trait here.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • HavenHaven Posts: 37 Member
    The ideas in this thread are really interesting, sadly I didn't play the sims 2 a lot. Maybe I will.... anyways, being able to build apartments in sims 4 would be like a dream come true to be honest. Hopefully they'll incorporate it somehow, someway in the future. I guess right now we can only hope.
    w7ctvt.png
  • M_Valentine22M_Valentine22 Posts: 203 Member
    edited August 2018
    I wish I could create an apartment building
    Post edited by M_Valentine22 on