The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

MAKE SIMS 4 HOUSEHOLDS BIGGER!!!

Comments

• MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited August 2018
    No, I'm fine with it.
    The limit has always been 8. It's a reasonable limit.

If you don't like the limit, just get a mod.

Although yes, pets should not take up entire slots when you can't even control them. Didn't Sims 2 have a separate row for the pets? Why can't Sims 4 have that?

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • KingoKingo Posts: 30 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    I'm fine with it. My pc can't handle more than 6 sims in one household, so I can't even get to the max of 8 sims. :D
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Yes, It's so annoying! (Comment below)
    It doesn't mean people would have to put more sims in a house if they didn't want to. People would just like the option.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    edited August 2018
    No, I'm fine with it.
    Ok with the human Sims limit but...
    It's easier to control 8 Sims in Sims 4 as I had great difficulty doing this in the previous games but I would like to be able to add a couple of pets if possible without having to move a couple of Sims out.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I never understand why other players care so much about options. If you don't want more than eight sims don't make more than eight sims but why should other people not have the option to have more than eight if they want it? I see this a lot in this community and it boggles my mind. If you don't want it great but why rain on someone else's parade? Having more than eight sims won't change the way you play the game it will just give other players the option to have more than eight.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    I never understand why other players care so much about options. If you don't want more than eight sims don't make more than eight sims but why should other people not have the option to have more than eight if they want it? I see this a lot in this community and it boggles my mind. If you don't want it great but why rain on someone else's parade? Having more than eight sims won't change the way you play the game it will just give other players the option to have more than eight.

I think we all agree an that. But the question here is what you personally would like.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    It's easier to control 8 Sims in Sims 4 as I had great difficulty doing this in the previous games but I would like to be able to add a couple of pets if possible without having to move a couple of Sims out.

So, as I read what you wrote, it occurs to me you're really not 'fine' with it. Eight slots is eight slots, and the pity is those slots can be taken up by Sim animals we CANNOT control. In Sims3 the taking of those slots did make sense, as you could control the animals, which I didn't give a hoot about, but there you have it. We simply do need more than eight slots, especially since the non-controllable pets take up the valuable, premium slots.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    No, I'm fine with it.

I expect EA/Maxis wanted to limit the complaints that come when Simmers computers start failing because the game has too much micro-management of 10 or more Sims, various cats and dogs and all the house items, lots etc., etc. that come with that.

If your computer can handle that there are various mods that can give you more Sims per household but having had a computer that was burnt out by Sims 3, losing all my hard disk contents, I tend to play safe these days.

Ask one of the Gurus why there are still only eight Sims per household and if they can up the limit. Good luck.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited August 2018
    Gatochweg wrote: »

I think we all agree an that. But the question here is what you personally would like.

I know. I was just saying that it's something I've noticed. I actually like that people have different opinions and I love everyone's creative ideas even if they are not for me. I just wish that some people could understand just because you don't like it doesn't mean others won't enjoy it.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • wrenstaleswrenstales Posts: 777 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    Their use to be mods in previous versions of The Sims. I'm sure someone has or will make a mod for adding more sims to household.
    I'm fine playing with four Sims, if I want more I send my SIM to work or to the bar, park and improve their social skills.
  • GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    There are mods for everything, but mods break easily and you don't know what hidden effects they have.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member

So, as I read what you wrote, it occurs to me you're really not 'fine' with it. Eight slots is eight slots, and the pity is those slots can be taken up by Sim animals we CANNOT control. In Sims3 the taking of those slots did make sense, as you could control the animals, which I didn't give a hoot about, but there you have it. We simply do need more than eight slots, especially since the non-controllable pets take up the valuable, premium slots.

@GalacticGal the way i remember Sims 3 Pets is the pets didn't take up one of the 8 member household slots
    6adMCGP.gif
    No, I'm fine with it.

We didn't get a choice of "if the game can handle it" but the addition of pets was an afterthought on my part after reading more of the comments.
    I cannot handle more than 8 myself, Sims with or without pets and remember that older Sims games only put as many extra Sims in as one's PC could handle. I remember being envious of those in the original games with powerful computers getting many more Sims into their venues than my weaker PC would allow then. For Sims4 I was given a limit of 80 Sims on my previous laptop and now I could go over 200 with the newest one.

I suppose increasing house limits could be in Options as Total Sim limits are, if Simmers thought their PCs/Macs could handle a lot more.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,467 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

@GalacticGal the way i remember Sims 3 Pets is the pets didn't take up one of the 8 member household slots

Then we must agree to disagree. I recall having my Sim give up his horse to make room for the next child they desired to have. I could be wrong, I haven't played Sims 3 in quite awhile. Oh, well.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    In Sims 3 you are allowed 10 slots and only up to 6 of the slots can be pets - the other 4 have to be humanoid Sims. But pets did add an additional 2 slots.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.

Keep in mind that when EA makes changes to the game, it can affect gameplay for everyone. Adding more slots means adding the programming to do so and can potentially cause games to run slowly. Also, for people who don't want this, it's pointless for them to have the sims team work spending time adding a feature that people don't want (if the community doesn't want it) when they can be working on other things that those who don't want more than 8-sim households want to see, like fixes to current bugs, adding more content, etc etc.

Since changes to the game take so long to make (The gurus said that one little change to the gallery takes like 6 months to go live) people don't really want time wasted, especially considering TS4 is 4 years old now. It's not like adding these options comes without consequences.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Then we must agree to disagree. I recall having my Sim give up his horse to make room for the next child they desired to have. I could be wrong, I haven't played Sims 3 in quite awhile. Oh, well.

N3dH4ct.jpg

6adMCGP.gif
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    I keep hearing about how difficult 8 sim households are, but the game is a breeze anyway. Most my households have 8 sims, and they run just fine--they're just crowded so I use CC bunkbeds. Sometimes I play them all as one family, sometimes I merge two families and make two homes on the same lot. It's a lot of fun. But yes, I'd really like to have more than 8 sims. I also do a lot of 'roomates' arrangements with all YA, and I have a dorm with just teenagers.

You can up the limit with mods, but CAS does not support more than 8 sims so if you take your 8+ household to CAS then the extra sims are deleted.

For those who wouldn't use the extra feature, it really shouldn't take a lot of sources to develop and the devs already use up their time doing kinda pointless things like the gallery (a feature that not everyone cared about, just like it would be with 8+ households) and now with the livestreams.

Really, they just need to increase the amount of sims allowed in CAS. I really don't see why it'd be all that hard for them to do. The 8 sim limit is just tradition--nothing more. And it means nothing if the game is trying to branch out from its predecessors.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    The only time I'd ever need households with more than 8 sims is when I'm shoving random townies into them with no intention of ever playing them; I simply need them shoved into a household to either be able to be housed (so I can visit them) or for them to simply exist in the background of my games.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    Oh my...I couldn't imagine dealing with more than 8 sims. I have had households at eight and it was a nightmare. Some of the sims would go out to dinner or to the park just so I could have a break and only deal with one or two sims LOL
  • CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    I want to have more than 8 Sims, too. I love playing big families. For the first generation, everything is fine. But then I have to move all my children out, only one can stay to build the next generation. If I want my oldest child to stay, it often has to wait with marriage until the youngest is out... noit so cool.

Of course this will be a problem if you have a slow computer. But if it's like that, just stick to the old 8 Sims, don't put in 10 or 12...
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    Curola wrote: »
    I want to have more than 8 Sims, too. I love playing big families. For the first generation, everything is fine. But then I have to move all my children out, only one can stay to build the next generation. If I want my oldest child to stay, it often has to wait with marriage until the youngest is out... noit so cool.

Of course this will be a problem if you have a slow computer. But if it's like that, just stick to the old 8 Sims, don't put in 10 or 12...

Agreed.

The last sentence is key. It should be up to each player to determine what their computer is capable of dealing with and to adhere to it. The game shouldn't be the one that gets to decide for you.

I wish that households could have been like the new system that EA implemented for total Sim population. The developers provided a choice of tiers and then there was the "nuclear" option -- unlimited. They gave due warning that unlimited could cause problems and then, EA left it up to the players to decide if they wanted to make use of the option or not.

A similar system would have been wonderful to have for households. Give options. Four Sims max, six Sims, eight Sims, or "As many Sims as you can stuff in until your game chugs to a halt."

I can't think of any other modern game that intentionally hobbles their player base to such an extent. Please give us credit for not being total nincompoops.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited August 2018
    Cynna wrote: »
    Curola wrote: »

Agreed.

The last sentence is key. It should be up to each player to determine what their computer is capable of dealing with and to adhere to it. The game shouldn't be the one that gets to decide for you.

I wish that households could have been like the new system that EA implemented for total Sim population. The developers provided a choice of tiers and then there was the "nuclear" option -- unlimited. They gave due warning that unlimited could cause problems and then, EA left it up to the players to decide if they wanted to make use of the option or not.

A similar system would have been wonderful to have for households. Give options. Four Sims max, six Sims, eight Sims, or "As many Sims as you can stuff in until your game chugs to a halt."

I can't think of any other modern game that intentionally hobbles their player base to such an extent. Please give us credit for not being total nincompoops.

I agree as well and the reason why Sims 4 is where it is now because EA/Maxis does not allow the program to scale up to what each and every system can do. If you have an system that is capable it should be able to do more and if not it only can do what is within it power to do. I do not see why it is fair that my system should be on the same level as a system that is limited because it lacks the resources to have all the bells and whistles and that is the situation here. This method does not make an program look powerful or fun for I know what my system can do. Sooner or later EA/Maxis will keep that in mind and may do Sims 5 differently. If your system can only handle eight than that is what it is and if an system is built to handle 10 that that is what it is and therefore those with powerful systems should not share the same fate as those with systems that are weaker and should scale up to the specs inside the system. Increasing the sims capacity should be an option and however there is an limit on capacity not based on resources but on an chaos level meaning how can one keep tabs on 24 sims? that I can understand on why there is an limit.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CurolaCurola Posts: 86 Member
    Yes. I'm sure people with slow computers will notice that they already have problems with 8 (or even with 6) Sims in the household. They can either stick to the less number of Sims or save money to buy a better computer. Especially if you buy a desktop PC instead of a laptop you gan get a lot of performance for pretty less money. EA don't has to punish players with a good computer for the fact that many of us simmers either don't have a good PC as well as they would buy crap anyway (because they don't know whats good and save too much money (no dedicated graphics in notebooks and so).

Noone has to use a feature that makes his computer slow or he doesn't like. If you ask me we could cut out half of the game features. But who am I to tell what is needed in the game and wat is not? I kust stick to "my" features and let the others hav fun with the others.

Plus, it wouldn't be much work for maxis to allow more than 8 Sims in a household. You just have to add some extra bars. The limit itself are just a couple of lines of code (if they have good code they only have to change the value of one single variable... shouldn't take more than 5 minutes, including searching the correct line). This should be doable within a weak with some testing (maybe two with good testing, but surely not more than a month).
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    No, I'm fine with it.
    8 sims is much too much for me, so I never even use the full number I am allowed in a household.