Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Preteens, boarding school, and university in future expansions?

124...Next

Comments

• AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I really don’t think we’re getting preteens, nor do we need them. I think there are enough life stages to manage already.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• creedlescreedles Posts: 60 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    A kid doesn't jump from kid to a teen
    Yes they do!

My friends kid was a cute 6-8-10-12 year old Suddenly BAM!! nearly 14 and towering over everyone. A massive growth spurt in 18 months, went from talking non stop, to only grunted replies to direct questions.
    creedles wrote: »
    preteens would have the options to have boyfriends/girlfriends, kiss, play spin the bottle,
    that is creepily inappropriate!
    There's some seriously bad parenting happening if anyone is allowing anyone under 15 to engage in such activities.

When I was in middle school, people did play spin the bottle, people dared each other to kiss, middle school is usually the age people experience their first kiss alot of the time. It sounds like you didn't go to middle school or you are just extremely politically correct.
    > It'd be really nice if the upstairs were flats for sim students.

Really like this idea, where they pay rent weekly to live out of a dorm. It feels realistic, and being able to live above a commercial lot could give bonus things, a pizza joint sends over pizza that didn’t sell once in a while cause you live there, or a cafe gives you a discount on coffee. There could be negatives too, like annoyed by noise, or hungry more often cause they smell the bakery down stairs lol!

As mentioned many many times before the option to live at home and commute should be an option too, as long as you still get the option to take part in campus clubs and events

Another suggestion that might be able to be launched/implemented in a uni EP would the idea of credit and debt. Like maybe you can sign up for a credit card to help get started or replace a stove when you have no mechanical skill. Uni could cost money each term, with the option to take a loan for it and pay back when working. Just a thought. I know there are cheats, but wouldn’t it be fun to cry it out cause your swimming in debt, then be able to feel so accomplished (confidence or pride if that’s a mood) once you’ve paid it off?

I like that idea too, plenty of people live aove restaurants and shops.

I wonder how commuting will be enabled into the game, there are plenty of cars passing by, hopefully the game can make cars come back somehow for sims to use.

There should be more little side jobs and the jobs teens can get should be available to all ages.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I just uploaded La Salle Boarding School to the gallery. You can use it to tell your stories or, maybe when we get an Education pack, use it for a school. You can read more about it in the Sims 4 Lots section or check it out on the gallery at my I.D. #dannydanbo

29938624098_2a0cf00283_h.jpg

It looks very nice, that is how I pictured what the school would look like.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    creedles wrote: »
    When I was in middle school, people did play spin the bottle, people dared each other to kiss, middle school is usually the age people experience their first kiss alot of the time. It sounds like you didn't go to middle school or you are just extremely politically correct.

Middle school does not exist here.
    We have primary school, and secondary school. There is no room for anything in the middle.

When I was at school, no one was engaging in that sort of thing until their teens.
    And even now, anyone allowing that sort of thing to happen before the teenage years is a bad parent.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • AxeEclipticaAxeEcliptica Posts: 370 Member
    > It'd be really nice if the upstairs were flats for sim students.

Really like this idea, where they pay rent weekly to live out of a dorm. It feels realistic, and being able to live above a commercial lot could give bonus things, a pizza joint sends over pizza that didn’t sell once in a while cause you live there, or a cafe gives you a discount on coffee. There could be negatives too, like annoyed by noise, or hungry more often cause they smell the bakery down stairs lol!

As mentioned many many times before the option to live at home and commute should be an option too, as long as you still get the option to take part in campus clubs and events

Another suggestion that might be able to be launched/implemented in a uni EP would the idea of credit and debt. Like maybe you can sign up for a credit card to help get started or replace a stove when you have no mechanical skill. Uni could cost money each term, with the option to take a loan for it and pay back when working. Just a thought. I know there are cheats, but wouldn’t it be fun to cry it out cause your swimming in debt, then be able to feel so accomplished (confidence or pride if that’s a mood) once you’ve paid it off?

As an added thought to that - I was SO disappointed when I found out my sims couldn't live upstairs from their businesses in the Get To Work expansion. So seeing it somewhere else would be really nice.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    The only reason I'd support preteens is because I dislike that the current teens look so old. They look 16+, but I'd personally rather a 13-14 year old for teens. But it doesn't matter since I doubt we'll get preteens in any form regardless. :/

Boarding school does sound like it could be interesting and fun if it wasn't a rabbit hole and was actually a place we could follow the kids to. I'm not really part of the University hype, but if they had boarding school as well, I'd quite enjoy that. :)
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Boarding school would be great so long as it's an active lot like University.
    mika wrote: »

That is exactly what my idea was is that the boarding school is an active lot with many features.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    mika wrote: »

As one who went to boarding school and University it is not remotely alike. If anything could be compared to boarding school - it would be a library. It is like having classrooms in a library, and after all classes are over, going back to your room and studying some more, writing letters to your family, or reading a book until they turn the lights off at 9 o'clock. We couldn't have a radio, or tv, or anyone else in our rooms. There was a tv room but we could only use it on friday and Saturday nights and they picked what you got to watch. There was horseback riding, field hockey, art classes, pottery classes, music class, theater/drama classes, swim class, first aide classes and home economics you could choose to do on week-ends as well. But believe me Boarding school was all about constant academics - nothing else.

Of course that was a different era when I went to private school than probably what it is like now - at least I sure hope so.

University on the other hand was freedom - living life, making life long friendships - being your own boss unlike I had never experienced before - it was choosing things for myself - going to bed when I choose or engaging in activities I actually enjoyed and finally able to just be me. They were worlds apart - I detested Boarding school - I loved University.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I've always wanted tweens since the sims 2. I've always felt that a gap between kids and teens is needed. I mean we have young adult and adult which have all the same clothes and hairstyles and nothing separate about each life stage. at least with tweens, there would be a difference in clothes, hair, and height and they could have different things for them to do especially since teens are essentially adults in this game.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I really don’t think we’re getting preteens, nor do we need them. I think there are enough life stages to manage already.

I'd like to see more done with current age stages, particularly Adult and Elder. I really liked the Midlife Crises in Sims 3 Generations -- they added a new dimension to the YA/Adult transition, and if you didn't want to deal with it you could just pay for therapy. And I'd like to see more love for elders, while giving them age-appropriate activities. Being close to elder age myself, I don't go out to the nightclubs; I'm more likely to hit a lounge for a comedy show or some good live music, but I've been going to comedy clubs since the 1980s.

Kids seem to have a lot more to do now especially with Seasons adding the Scouts -- I'm hoping that we'll get more afterschool/weekend activities in the future, including activities to help with earning skill points (a child's Art Club could grant a random Creativity point, for example, or a teen Gardening club could help with Gardening or Flower Arranging skill). I know we can form clubs with GT, but I like the rabbit hole aspect so I can clear out some of my large family for a few Sim hours to focus on one or two still at home. Teens could still use some work, though Parenthood helped flesh them out a lot -- I've been coping with a lot more teen mood swings that throw a wrench in my plans.

The game does still seem to be overly focused on the YA stage though, which is why I'd like to see some attention paid to other ages.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    Midlife crisis is very old school you know - more of a 50's kind of thing - as people now a days do not set the strict standards on how people should be at what age like they did back in those days. I could see how aged that was - like watching an old I love Lucy episode on tv - as it was obvious in those old tv shows a person was going through that kind of thing and trying to recapture their youth - now - a -days no one would even notices at least not in the USA anyway as society is more relaxed in that aspect and besides we don't excuse that kind of behavior now a days. We send them to therapy for everything at the first shift in a personality change - never mind make a standing joke out of such behavior. Spouses now - a days are not forgiving or open to any excuse either - they won't tolerate it. They'll walk out on a drop of a dime in many cases.

The world is not the same place when things like that were forgivable or understood. We simply have to keep our acts together or half the planet will tell us to go act our age. Besides with the ease of almost any kind of plastic surgery out there there's nothing left to recapture.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• KatieSimKatieSim Posts: 71 Member
    edited August 2018
    I love the idea of pre/early teens! Right now they jump from an innocent 7 year old straight to a ‘messing around’ 17 year old.
    Not only the crazy height difference but there’s no awkward crushes, first sleep overs, friendship bracelets- just the whole awkward growing up phase. :p
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    It has been fascinating to read about how different schooling is in other countries. Whatever type of education pack eventually arrives, I hope that EA will take that into consideration and provide different options. In particular, it would be nice to finally have higher education where the students can still live at home while attending school.

Adult and senior students wouldn't necessarily want to live away from their families while pursuing their education. They may need to juggle their academic, family, and work lives. Meanwhile, younger students may be chomping at the bit to experience the independence of dorm life or off-campus student accommodations. Does it always need to be such a cut and dried choice between one or the other? Why not both? It would be wonderful if the two options could co-exist within the same game.

For example, there could be a separate university world. However, it could be residential, where entire families can live, not only students. In the preexisting worlds, there could be rabbit hole courses -- similar to going to work each day. Except, there would be assignments to complete in order to advance. The courses could be part-time or full-time, night time or weekends, depending on the Sim's needs. In the end, no matter which form of schooling a Sim decided to take, there would be a graduation celebration.

Edited to add: Online courses would be amazing!

As for boarding school, I'm not a fan. My heart aches to read the bad experiences that some of you have had there. Still, for storytelling purposes and game variety, I hope that it remains an option in the game.

A variety of experiences leads to a variety of Sims, good, bad, or somewhere in between. Maybe, boarding schools could provide a list of optional traits that will have an affect on the Sim for the remainder of their lives. They could be positive or negative. It's up to the player to decide how school affected the student and the relationships with the family that was left behind.

Last of all, as much as I wish that there were something to fill the awkward visual gap between the children and the so-called 'teens' in the game, I don't think that it will happen. The time for that was when the game was first created. A life stage like that would require so much work to feel integrated and complete (much more than the work that was required for toddlers, I'm sure). I'm afraid that a patch wouldn't be able to do it justice. Not to mention, the amount of bugs that such a patch could introduce would be epic. :/
    I3Ml5Om.jpg