Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you invest in a better PC for a next gen sims game?

Comments

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    Most definitely yes. And I’d rather spend my money on a decent computer plus a fleshed out basegame, than on a lousy basegame and DLC that’ll cost me hundreds of euros (especially when the DLC can’t save that basegame).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    Yes
    Eliharb wrote: »
    Would you be interested in a sims game with very high graphics, open world, much like other next-generation games like GTA, tomb raider, etc?
    The worlds would be alot richer and bigger, the streets more populated, but it would require you to upgrade to a gaming PC?
    Take TS3 as a reference but think about way better optimization and stability and much higher graphics settings, better lighting and textures. And the sims would be more detailed, realistic and customizable.

Key question: would you invest in a much better machine for a much better sims game?

EDIT: This is directed to those not playing TS4 on the highest settings. Those that have PCs that run TS4 on the highest settings easily should vote Yes because they already fit the criteria as TS4 isn't exactly heavy on gaming rigs.

Yes I would.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    I always do - right now I would be hard pressed to get a much better gaming desktop than I presently have - so good thing Sims 4 still has a long ways to go. LOL. Also Sims is not the only game I play and besides that My hubby is a pc technician and one of my son has his own PC store - so it's not a big deal for me to have a new built for me.

EA is always known to announce when a new series is coming about 15 months before it comes out - so generally I start planning then and decide what I want - etc. (Keep in mind my computer is my world - I am pretty much housebound so it is not like I spend money on much else - so it is probably much easier on me to do that than most people who have a life besides what they do on a computer. It is basically my whole world for the most part.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    alexspoom13alexspoom13 Posts: 7,439 Member
    Yes
    Yes, although I just dropped £1000 on a new one for Sims 4 which should at least run any next iteration. :D
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    I will invest in a better PC in 2019 but not for The Sims.

Actually Quantum Break isn't compatible with Core 2 Duo and Daz Studio is quicker when there are 4 graphic cards.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Yes
    Part of being a gamer is updating the computer to fit the new games coming out. But yeah, especially Sims has always needed a bit of a computer juice to play nicely and to best enjoy the game you need a computer in the upper levels of quality.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    No
    Even though the one I just got handles things on max, I still answered. I said no. I would never spend money on a pc just for a game. I got a new pc because my old one blew up and I need it for programming. Games are fun, but they are meant to be occasional distractions. The average game is 60 bucks. The average computer is around 1000.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    lolabeelolabee Posts: 25 Member
    I'm a Mac user and I have considered upgrading at some point so I can play on the higher graphics settings (so far it's taking all the DLC well though but on lower graphics settings-nothing on high!) they're just so expensive though and I'm not sure I can go back to PC easily ;)
  • Options
    EliharbEliharb Posts: 476 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    Metaphasic wrote: »
    Even though the one I just got handles things on max, I still answered. I said no. I would never spend money on a pc just for a game. I got a new pc because my old one blew up and I need it for programming. Games are fun, but they are meant to be occasional distractions. The average game is 60 bucks. The average computer is around 1000.

I see how you may have understood that. Yeah, I wouldn't upgrade either just for one game. I meant to ask those who are playing on laptops or older PCs if they would upgrade to play more resource-demanding games, including a future Sims title with way better graphics/open world etc. Is this a large number of players or are most people serious about gaming and investing more into it?
    Playing on Intel Core i7-5960X 16 core CPU - 32 GB DDR4 Ram - GTX 980 Ti
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    No
    No, it would be too expensive. If I had the money then, yes. But, I think that’s unlikely, sadly.
  • Options
    jcp011c2jcp011c2 Posts: 10,861 Member
    No
    Nope. I spent good money on a new rig for Sims 3 in 2012 and again for Civilization VI end of 2016. I think I'm set for a while. Have no problems playing Sims 4. I'm pretty sure my rig could handle a moderately higher grade of game -open neighborhoods and some control over colorization. But maybe not a fully open world and the entire CAST system. On the other hand I usually end up getting a new computer ever 4ish years or so anyways, so by the time the Sims 5 comes out assuming it's 2020/2021 I would be due for a new one.
    It's kind of sad that I have to point out that anything I say is only just my opinion and may be a different one from someone else.
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    No
    No, I'm in university and will continue to be for the forseeable future, so I can't afford buying a massive gaming laptop just for a new Sims game. I love TS4 because it doesn't have open world and doesn't shred my laptop whenever I play.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely. I've been doing this since Sims 2, and I think it's been a positive experience for me. I learned how to buy the right kind of components to upgrade and how to install them myself. That's pretty cool for an old bird like me. ;) I've also learned what to look for in a PC to help keep me playing for as long as possible without needing to upgrade or buy another. My current computer is 4 years old and still going strong, it plays everything from Sims 2-4 to Planet Coaster & City Skylines. Lately I've been trying to decide if I want to get a new video card or put that toward a new desktop.
  • Options
    No, it would be too expensive. If I had the money then, yes. But, I think that’s unlikely, sadly.

It reminds me if all the packs are purchased the money spent is the value of a new computer.
  • Options
    LoftyyLoftyy Posts: 101 Member
    No
    Always play Sims on console. So if/ when there is a Sims 5 I'd hope they would bring it to the next Xbox. I was heartbroken when I thought it would never come to the One when it previously came for 360.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    No
    I don't need to because Sims game specs are below the kind of games I really enjoy.
    When I build a computer to handle the kind of games I like to play, it's not The Sims that I am building for.
    I doubt that will ever change.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    Yes
    In a heartbeat. I’ve already did it once to play TS3.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
  • Options
    gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely, yes. Considering that I'm currently playing The Sims 4 on an almost 8-year-old laptop, I definitely need a new PC for the next generation of The Sims, whenever it may be. I would enjoy the game a lot more and the graphics would be superior. I can't wait!
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    No
    I want a new PC for the sims 4. I have one in mind but I just can't afford it. It's a really affordable one but I haven't got too much money.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited August 2018
    No
    No, I have two very good gamng computers already. If I updated from those, I would just be doing it for me.

I agree though. It would be nice to see a Sims game that was designed around and catered to a high-end computer.

• Options
    Ona_SimmerOna_Simmer Posts: 60 Member
    Yes
    I'm saving up for a $600 desktop anyways.
    Origin Name : Ona_Simmer

HC9IknO.png

• Options
    JaiSeaJaiSea Posts: 909 Member
    Yes
    I already do buy a new PC every time the next generation comes out. I was unable to do so when Sims 4 was released though, but just got it 2 months ago finally. I only use my PC for sims so any new PC is because of the sims.
    Check out my latest Multiplayer Let's Play! The Off the Grid challenge - single family addition.
    MPOTGthumbnail.jpg
  • Options
    hkdsasshkdsass Posts: 29 Member
    i have bought a new computer for each new sims platform, yes i'm addicted
  • Options
    TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 2018
    No
    Like I have the money to do that. :lol:
    Aine wrote: »
    Part of being a gamer is updating the computer to fit the new games coming out. But yeah, especially Sims has always needed a bit of a computer juice to play nicely and to best enjoy the game you need a computer in the upper levels of quality.

* gamer with lots of disposable funds
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I doubt a "beautiful" game which is full of bugs, with not smart Sim AI and half-baked could be more "fun".

Pay an expensive computer in order to run a game which can't work properly wouldn't be a good investment for me.