Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Old Book Club Thread - Check out the New One!

Comments

• Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    CT, thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into Book Club! I had fun with it and I'm looking forward to having the same amount of fun with Cog as the coordinator. :)
    Thanks for all the work you've done over the years with this thread CT, I know I don't frequent here but I pop in from time to time and am always happy to see it trucking along. Will look forward to doing the same with Cog's thread and maybe participating when a story I read pops up! :D

Thanks, Munter and Simslover! It's been really fun to have gotten this started--so many great stories, huh? Now I'm looking forward to being more of a participant! I'm sure I'll still be available as back-up, too for those times when Cog gets busy! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    Hi, everyone! Slight change of plans--it will be a little while (a week or two?) before the new thread is set up, so let's take this time to do some reflection and see what changes (if any) we want to make to the format of Book Club!

A few questions:

1) How did the format we just used work for you?

(Reminder: we had a two-week feature followed by a Tasty Read. During the two-week feature, we read during the first week and informally conversed about the reading, and during the second week, the Coffee Hour host led the conversation on the reading.)

2) Shall we keep the Tasty Read?

3) Shall we keep the two-week feature?

4) Shall we keep coffee-hour conversations?

5) Would you like to see readings arranged thematically?

6) Any other suggestions or changes you'd like to see?

Please share your ideas and suggestions, and if you're welcome to PM me your suggestions if you don't want to make them in the public forum.

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! Slight change of plans--it will be a little while (a week or two?) before the new thread is set up, so let's take this time to do some reflection and see what changes (if any) we want to make to the format of Book Club!

A few questions:

(Reminder: we had a two-week feature followed by a Tasty Read. During the two-week feature, we read during the first week and informally conversed about the reading, and during the second week, the Coffee Hour host led the conversation on the reading.)

Please share your ideas and suggestions, and if you're welcome to PM me your suggestions if you don't want to make them in the public forum.

question thematically means like we did before wheretheir was a drama theme?
  • Options

A few questions:

Yup--like where we'd cluster stories featuring pets together; stories about divorce together; runaway stories together, and so on...

• Options

A few questions:

Yup--like where we'd cluster stories featuring pets together; stories about divorce together; runaway stories together, and so on...

A few questions:

oh i have 2 of those. 1 divorce and rylan is technically a runaway. but alanas as stubborn as lauren so he didn't get to far.
  • Options

A few questions:

A few questions:

oh i have 2 of those. 1 divorce and rylan is technically a runaway. but alanas as stubborn as lauren so he didn't get to far.

It would be fun to have "stubborn protagonist" as a theme! :)

• Options
    BlackUndecimberBlackUndecimber Posts: 1,116 Member
    Thank you, Cathy, for making this thread and managing it. I had a great time participating in discussions!

Here are just my thoughts on the format:

I liked it! I like how each story got enough time for me to pop in every now and then and join the conversation.

I enjoyed Tasty Reads very much. It didn’t take a lot of time to read samples of a story, and a week was a good amount of time to discuss the story with some density to the conversation. I do hope it stays!

The two-week feature, to me, was less approachable than the Tasty Read as it covered much more material. But if I was already following the story, it was a good time to discuss it in depth. I did find that in the first week not much happened. I guess this is when people submitted questions and binge read the story, but it would have been nice to see more conversation during this time.

Definitely! I loved the ask-about-anything discussions.

This would be very interesting to see, especially if they’re compared/contrasted :o I’m not sure if it’d work well, but I think an attempt would be worth it.

Not at the moment :)
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    This would be very interesting to see, especially if they’re compared/contrasted :o I’m not sure if it’d work well, but I think an attempt would be worth it.

@BlackUndecimber I agree with this. It would be so cool to try out. :smiley:
  • Options
    Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited August 2018

A few questions:

I think it worked quite well.

Definitely. Tasty Read feature is good for people who want to join the discussion, but don't have much time for Two week feature.

This depends on how many stories are nominated. If there are many, it should be cut down to one week so more stories get their spotlight. With less stories nominated, it makes sense to give them more time. We saw that in some cases even two weeks were not enough.

Coffee hour is a tradition. I say keep those.

I definitely liked it when it was done in the past. It made everything look more organized.

Maybe once in a month a little feature about authors and stories that are no longer active but we remember them with love and a tear in our eye?
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • Options
    Definitely. Tasty Read feature is good for people who want to join the discussion, but don't have much time for Two week feature.

this is what i was thinking. but my schedule had me up since Friday so i was too tired to form thoughts. so i'm stealing mals.
  • Options

A few questions:

A few questions:

rats now i have to look protaganist up. i can't remember what it means. i've been up since friday. it was my birthday and i didn't even get to sleep in isn't that mean?

sorry sis didn't mean to disrupt the happy thread vibe thing you got here. just needed to whine a little.
  • Options

A few questions:

A few questions:

rats now i have to look protaganist up. i can't remember what it means. i've been up since friday. it was my birthday and i didn't even get to sleep in isn't that mean?

sorry sis didn't mean to disrupt the happy thread vibe thing you got here. just needed to whine a little.
    @friendsfan367 the protagonist means the main character of a story. :)
  • Options
    [

A few questions:

A few questions:

i love you cog. well you know what i mean.
  • Options
    [

A few questions:

A few questions:

You're awesome too @friendsfan367 <3
  • Options
    [

A few questions:

A few questions:

one work story then i'll stop derailing the the thread.

one of of the last things that happened was this girl fake yelled at me scastically. so just as sacastically i said well i'm sorry we have almost as weird a relationship as i have with jes so she then said aplogy accepted.

but i should add that this morning i asked this same girl if i was actually good at kidcheck or if they just put me up there because they need to fill the space. she said its because i'm good at it. i asked her because i knew she would be honest.
  • Options
    [

A few questions:

A few questions:

one of of the last things that happened was this girl fake yelled at me scastically. so just as sacastically i said well i'm sorry we have almost as weird a relationship as i have with jes so she then said aplogy accepted.

but i should add that this morning i asked this same girl if i was actually good at kidcheck or if they just put me up there because they need to fill the space. she said its because i'm good at it. i asked her because i knew she would be honest.

Oh wow. Congrats! :smiley:
  • Options
    [

A few questions:

A few questions:

Oh wow. Congrats! :smiley:

shes a regular employee like me but sometimes brutally honest. bad cog you made me derail the thread again after i said i would stop. :)
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member

It worked-I should have read some more of it then I did.

Didn't really read any of them.. but it nice to take a break after the longer stuff

yeah
    Yes.
    It might work that there are themes of sorts for each month or whatever

Not really
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Simslover163Simslover163 Posts: 2,833 Member
    Loved it! Two weeks is plenty of time for a work to be featured.

Definitely. It's great to take a break from the long works.

Definitely.

Definitely.

That would be a great idea.

Not really.
    sEgXZ52.jpg
    Sims 3 Blog | Tales from Veronica L. Hopkins High | Camellia Treasures (Coming Soon)
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Seems like we're all in agreement about keeping Tasty Reads, that we like the idea of the nominations being arranged/scheduled by theme, and that we enjoy Coffee Hour.

I also love @Maladi 's idea of "Loved and Remembered": authors and stories that are no longer active! This is a nice way to pay tribute to those writers and stories we love and miss! :) (Also, even if a work has not been finished, it still has great merit and can bring joy to readers! This lets us enjoy those works! )

Let's talk about the Coffee Hour featured reading: one suggestion and comment was that two weeks might be a bit long, especially since it limits how many stories we include. Our thinking was that longer works needed two weeks to give those readers who aren't already following the work a chance to catch up. But here's a thought: What if for Coffee Hour we used a shorter selection, like we do for Tasty Read?

For example, for Coffee Hour, maybe we have a two-four chapter selection, possibly one that presents an arc or provides a good intro to the story. If we did that, then it would only require a week, rather than two, and more people might want to join in, since they wouldn't have to read long works.

If we did that, what would be the distinction between Coffee Hour and Tasty Read, since both are selections? In my mind, Tasty Read is shorter--one chapter, rather than a selection of two-four, and Tasty Read is centered on the writer: the conversation is led by the writer, the Q&A's are writer-centered, and the focus tends to be on the craft.

Coffee Hour would be more centered on the reader's experience. The conversation is led by the Coffee Hour host, and tends to explore reader response and reaction, with a few questions for the writer, too.

What do you think?

If you like that idea, here's a sample cycle for a month:

Week one: Coffee Hour (a two-four chapter selection of a longer work)

Week two: Tasty Read (a one-chapter/post selection that showcases a writer's craft)

Week three: Coffee Hour

Week four: Loved and Remembered (a writer or story that's no longer active but much loved and missed!)

---

Do you like this option?

We can also keep the format the same or work in a few other variations. What would you like? :)

• Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Although I haven't been around a lot to answer most of the questions, so I'll abstain from doing so.

I will, however, make a suggestion that perhaps if themed selections are chosen, it's not every single month, as some stories may not fit well in themes unless you have a theme called "Mixed Bag" or "Strange Bedfellows" to lump together works that aren't actually themed with the other works.

Also, if the Coffee hour is just going to be potentially just 2-4 chapters long, could we open it up to two feature stories per coffee hour? But keep the Tasty Read as one story.
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    msbeckycatmsbeckycat Posts: 3,445 Member
    Hi been following this thread some. Haven't been answering because was not sure how and if I should. I have been working on my blog.
  • Options

A few questions:

1) How did the format we just used work for you? it worked well

2) Shall we keep the Tasty Read? yes

3) Shall we keep the two-week feature? yes

4) Shall we keep coffee-hour conversations? yes i like them

5) Would you like to see readings arranged thematically? we could try it . but maybe add more catogorys some stories don't fit jut one

6) Any other suggestions or changes you'd like to see? maybe have a feature where new or little known writers have a turn. not sure if thatsgood i'm not you.

• Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    I'm not sure limiting Coffee Hour to a particular selection is a good idea. Wouldn't everyone only read the one part? If that's true, what would be the point of having two weeks to read? Coffee Hour is led by the readers (by the questions we submit), so doing it this way limits the questions we're allowed to ask. I don't see that being a good experience.
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr
  • Options
    Jes2GJes2G Posts: 13,032 Member
    And, Coffee Hour is the best part of book club. What would be the point of having everyone read the same thing if there is no discussion? It would be like peanut butter with no jelly. Get those crazy thoughts out of your head! :smiley:
    forum_final.png

Read Delicious Dishes & Dreams and more Stories By Jes2G!
    Origin ID: Jes2G | Forum Thread | Twitter | Tumblr