Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please make sims visible underwater

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So, I built a pool. Then, I built a basement next to it and put glass windows along the wall between the pool and the basement so from the basement you can see under the surface of the pool.

I thought that if someone was swimming in the pool, you would be able to see it from the basement. But you can’t. You can’t even see it if someone jumps/dives into the pool, although they should be at the same level as the basement. It’s as though sims become invisible when underwater or something! I’m disappointed.

Comments

• Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    I haven't actually checked this, but that's disappointing! Does it work if you are on the level of the pool and you use free camera mode to go into the basement? I think that the game doesn't show things when they're not on the same level as the camera. I'd also love if we could use free camera mode to go underwater and see our sims swimming.
  • the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
    edited August 2018
    I’m guessing the sims count as being on the floor above, and I don’t think the game renders sims that aren’t on the same floor as you for performance reasons - this is just a guess though, I don’t know if it’s true.

Or perhaps the game doesn’t render anything that’s not in the basement when you’re in the basement (also for performance reasons), hence why you can’t see the sky from the basement once you’ve removed the ceiling
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    @Jordyn78988 sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you switch on free camera mode? I didn’t even know that was a thing!

I have tried right clicking on the cat while he is in the basement so the camera is in the basement and I still can’t see sims in the pool then.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Yes that is really disappointing. I'm quite sure you saw the swimming Sims in TS3.
    edited August 2018
    It's weird. I can see through to the basement and even see sims inside the basement, as you can see here, by looking at the top of the pool...
    LZv3mH7.png

And I can see into the pool from the basement...
    zo5TYUL.png

And yet sims in the pool are not visible from the basement, even if they jump or dive in
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes that is really disappointing. I'm quite sure you saw the swimming Sims in TS3.
    Yes, you do.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited August 2018
    @the_greenplumbob that’s an interesting theory, but from ground level looking down at the surface of the pool you can see sims standing next to the glass pool wall in the basement. In this pic, you can see my male sim standing in swimming shorts.
    LZv3mH7.png
  • Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    @Jordyn78988 sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do you switch on free camera mode? I didn’t even know that was a thing!

I have tried right clicking on the cat while he is in the basement so the camera is in the basement and I still can’t see sims in the pool then.

Clicking tab switches it on. You can move around using w,a,s,d and you can move up with e and down with q. Hope this helps! :)
    I’m guessing the sims count as being on the floor above, and I don’t think the game renders sims that aren’t on the same floor as you for performance reasons - this is just a guess though, I don’t know if it’s true.

Or perhaps the game doesn’t render anything that’s not in the basement when you’re in the basement (also for performance reasons), hence why you can’t see the sky from the basement once you’ve removed the ceiling

Yep, that's exactly what I think.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Perhaps this is just an oversight on the devs' part? It seems to be a silly enough detail to be so. Yes, there are many such "oversights"...

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    you can definitely see the swimmers if you use TAB mode, though I really wish we'd see them at all times.
    @DreamaDove that’s really odd. I can’t see the swimmers even when I use TAB mode. Are you looking through the side of the pool underwater in the basement?
  • DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    @DreamaDove that’s really odd. I can’t see the swimmers even when I use TAB mode. Are you looking through the side of the pool underwater in the basement?

It's been a while since I've tried it, but I've looked at swimmers from the bottom level though a window when the pool is placed a room above so the pool is in the 2nd story and I'm looking from the first floor.

Now that I think about it, I have not tried that with basements so maybe they're just bugged or it's a sideeffect since the way they connect to other levels seems different (since basements exist in a dark void, apparently.

I'll try both scenarios again next time I launch the game.
    DreamaDove wrote: »

It's been a while since I've tried it, but I've looked at swimmers from the bottom level though a window when the pool is placed a room above so the pool is in the 2nd story and I'm looking from the first floor.

Now that I think about it, I have not tried that with basements so maybe they're just bugged or it's a sideeffect since the way they connect to other levels seems different (since basements exist in a dark void, apparently.

I'll try both scenarios again next time I launch the game.

@DreamaDove interesting! It may just be the basements which it doesn’t work for, then. I’ll have to see if it works in my game with a pool above ground level.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    DreamaDove wrote: »
    you can definitely see the swimmers if you use TAB mode, though I really wish we'd see them at all times.
    That would be nice if you could play the game in tab mode, but I don’t think you can? Question mark because tab does have more options in Sims 4 than it has in 3 (like disabling and enabling walls).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I was hoping I could see them in the pool when I made a new club, but all you see is a wall.