Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tips to stop Mods and CC from ruining your game and computer

I was playing with a couple of mods and CC for awhile there. Then my game started to crash and lag. Then my computer started to crash and struggle until eventually it wouldn't start all together. I reformatted and reinstalled a vanilla version of the game with no mods or CC (MCCC being the exception).

I kind of want to try a little bit of CC again and see if I have any trouble. But I'm kind of terrified to go through all that again.

Does anyone have any tips for building a small CC/Mod collection without having their poor computer combust and losing everything?
My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

Comments

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    As long as you're being proactive about monitoring and maintaining the performance of your game, things like that shouldn't happen (provided your computer can actually handle the added content. If not, that would make it another story). It's probably obvious in hindsight but you shouldn't allow performance issues to progress that far. Figure out what the problem is as soon as an issue arises and handle it.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    5000birds5000birds Posts: 10 New Member
    This is based on my (kinda limited) knowledge!

There's a big difference between script mods and CC. Script mods are mods that change the script (code) of the game, and doesn't add any content. For example, MC command is a script mod, liberated stuff are script mods, and most small gameplay changes are script mods. Script mods are usually safer to install since they only change the existing code, meaning if the game updates, the mods should change as well.

With CC it's different, for example if you've downloaded a chair that didn't exist in the game to begin with, that chair won't work with new actions that are added later on. Like how a lot of furniture got unplayable with Cats and Dogs, since that EP added the option for pets to destroy furniture.

So my recommendation is to only install script mods. Script mods are mostly about gameplay, but there are some "stuff" script mods as well. These are usually called "liberated [stuff]". They are things that are in the game but are not available in buy mode, not even with cheats. For example, I have installed plasticbox's "liberated rocks" and "liberated garden stuff". These are items that are coded for by Maxi, but weren't included in the gameplay for some reason.

Another good thing about script mods is that since they don't add any new content to the game, they don't really affect the loading time.

I'm fairly new to modding so take this with a grain of salt! This is based on my personal experience.
  • Options
    Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,778 Member
    edited April 2018
    This thread has awesome tips for maintaining your Mods folder:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/925775/organizing-your-cc#latest

Don't let the last poster scare you away from CC. Yes, there were problems with a few items after the Cats & Dogs patch but, there was a simple to use batch fix available from Sims 4 Studio within 24 hours that cured the problem for all the affected CC. It's also not fair to say the script Mods never break. MC Command Center needed to be updated and re-installed after the Cats & Dog's patch. If you ever have problems with CC/Mods just ask for help here on the forum. We are a pretty supportive group! It is also good to monitor the Mods Bugs and Game Issues master thread. If something breaks after a patch, there will be information there on what is broken and how to fix it.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited April 2018
    If you have issues with any mods the best advice is to remove the mods and reinstall them. Sometimes removing the hole mods folder and starting from scratch helps but if in doubt batch fixes help a lot too.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    kemiszkemisz Posts: 602 Member
    Thank you all for your help! @Bananas_45 I will read that thread, I appreciate you linking it.

Just to provide clarification - I always kept my mods and CC up to date and I was in the middle of trying the 50/50 split thing Deaderpool suggests to track down the CC or Mod that was breaking my game - It just all happened very quickly before I could find the culprit!

My EA ID is TranquilloSims - where I upload starter homes, family homes and some more ambitious creations.

• Options
    lillibattenberglillibattenberg Posts: 1,280 Member
    Variation on the 50/50 split if you're like me and:
    a) have recently downloaded something that's plumming up your game and
    b) can't be plummed to go through six and a half gigs of CC:
    Sort your mods folder by date modified and chuck out your latest batch of CC (e.g. your last six folders, which is what I ended up doing). Then, add it slowly back in as per usual. It took me 20 minutes to find the CC that was stopping my game from launching instead of 2 hours doing that! (P.S. I think it was TS3 CC instead of TS4, since they're .package files and that's happened before).
    Jacob_Banner.png
  • Options
    NaomiSImblrNaomiSImblr Posts: 158 Member
    Ignore all downloads where it links to adfly high risk of virus
  • Options
    Lara7020Lara7020 Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a problem. So i have cc for TS4 and an issue started to happen me recently, when ever I try to make my sims go into a house they wont go they wave their hand and have a footstep thought bubble. I have tried a new house, a square block, new doors, archways, lots, everything and I know this is the cc because firstly i got objects cc and thats when it started i only had cas cc before and that never caused any issues so i managed to find all of my objects cc, i had to get a notebook, go in the game, find the name write it, down search it in my folder and remove it but that didnt get rid of my little issue. So then i removed my mods folder from TS4 and it worked but I love cc and couldn't live without it! another issue is when i press play sometimes it keeps going back to the map and i can't go anywhere. But i added a skin detail just ONE cc file and it worked so then i thought it must be a certain file so i removed all the stuff out of the mods folder and got new stuff but guess what? it didnt work. Does anyone know what this is i need help :neutral:
  • Options
    Lara7020 wrote: »
    I have a problem. So i have cc for TS4 and an issue started to happen me recently, when ever I try to make my sims go into a house they wont go they wave their hand and have a footstep thought bubble. I have tried a new house, a square block, new doors, archways, lots, everything and I know this is the cc because firstly i got objects cc and thats when it started i only had cas cc before and that never caused any issues so i managed to find all of my objects cc, i had to get a notebook, go in the game, find the name write it, down search it in my folder and remove it but that didnt get rid of my little issue. So then i removed my mods folder from TS4 and it worked but I love cc and couldn't live without it! another issue is when i press play sometimes it keeps going back to the map and i can't go anywhere. But i added a skin detail just ONE cc file and it worked so then i thought it must be a certain file so i removed all the stuff out of the mods folder and got new stuff but guess what? it didnt work. Does anyone know what this is i need help :neutral:

If you are having problems with CC Furniture you may want to try running one of the batch fixes at Sims 4 Studio. Sims 4 Studio is the program used to make all CC and is safe to download. Membership is required to access the program but, membership is free. http://sims4studio.com/ Once you have installed Sims 4 Studio, open the program and from the menu on the top of the main page choose "Content Management"; "Objects"; "Batch Fixes"; "Fix Objects For Cats & Dogs Patch"; run

The batch fix will only apply to objects currently in your Mods folder. If you add more furniture later, you may need to run the batch fix again. If you should need to undo the batch fix, you can find the original files in Documents>Sims 4 Studio>Batch Fixes where they are sorted by type of fix applied and date. Simply cut and paste the files to your Mods folder and allow them to overwrite the fixed version.

If running the batch fix does not solve your problem, you may want to use the 50/50 method to find the CC that is causing your issue. This post explains how to do that: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16486228/#Comment_16486228
  • Options
    thewardenthewarden Posts: 2 New Member
    I really want to download MCCC, but I keep getting a warning from my antivirus software that the files are corrupt. I have tried both the MCCC web page and the Tumblr page.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is this a known issue or are the files actually risky to download?
  • Options
    thewardenthewarden Posts: 2 New Member
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > @thewarden this might help.
    >

Thanks! I got some more info and was able to download it safely from the Patreon site!
  • Options
    thewarden wrote: »
    I really want to download MCCC, but I keep getting a warning from my antivirus software that the files are corrupt. I have tried both the MCCC web page and the Tumblr page.

Anyone know why this is happening? Is this a known issue or are the files actually risky to download?

I know Norton flags MCCC and Sims 4 Studio everytime they update because only a few people have downloaded the new program, so they're not verified as trusted.