Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game Freezing Persists

I checked through a few pages back and could not find a thread similar to my issue, so forgive me if I am being repetitive.

I have had several problems with the game since I installed it from the DVD. At first I could not download any content from the store or exchange, and after installing and reinstalling many times the problem persisted. While the latest patch fixed this issue for me, a much bigger one remains.

I still cannot manage to play my game for more than 15 to 30 minutes at a time. I have noticed that as long as I am not playing in the new content (France, Egypt, China) the longer I may play, but inevitably the game still freezes. It always freezes for the smallest of things as well. Taking photographs, selecting an action or selecting something in order to perform an action, sleeping, talking, et cetera.

I have checked and double checked the specs of my computer to ensure that it complies with the system requirements. I have read and tested rumors of why the game will freeze, such as when Time Machine backs up, which I proved to be incorrect. I installed the game onto my laptop to check and see if Snow Leopard was the problem (I still have not updated my laptop to 10.6.) and the same thing happened on there.

I have been trying to talk to customer service people for two weeks now and have gone through three representatives, two of which gave me the exact same instructions and neglected to pay attention to the fact that I stated again and again. I use a Mac. Telling me how to do something on a Windows computer does me no good at all, especially when the representative immediately before you suggested the same thing. Even better is that all of the logs exist in a file for them to peruse before making assumptions.

I digress. I recall reading that there were people with similar problems. Is that still true? And does anyone know of a way to fix this? Or is this something I have to wait even longer for EA to fix? Makes me wish I had never bought this game. It's a pity, because I have been so excited to play.

Comments

• SimGuruCollinSimGuruCollin Posts: 173
    edited December 2009
    Hey Tempestrin,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Please post a system profile and which version of the game you are running. The version number is the number in the bottom left corner of the launcher.
  • TempestrinTempestrin Posts: 10
    edited December 2009
    Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
    Model Identifier: iMac8,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 6 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.30f1

Game Version: 2.2.9.002001
  • SimGuruCollinSimGuruCollin Posts: 173
    edited December 2009
    Can you please post the full system profile, including graphics card and operating system?
    edited December 2009
    I am using Mac OS X 10.6.2.

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0609
    Revision ID: 0x00a2
    ROM Revision: 3234
    Displays:
    iMac:
    Resolution: 1920 x 1200
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

Was this what you were asking for?
  • AlexRoz9AlexRoz9 Posts: 309 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I'm having almost the exact same problem on a Mac Pro, so it's not just you Tempestrin. Although my basement tool now seems to function, at least on blank lots, my game either freezes and requires me to attempt to force quit it, or crashes to the desktop abruptly and randomly. I haven't had any of my Sims travel yet, but roughly every 15-45 minutes, my game randomly crashes. Like you, it does so performing simple tasks such as eating, sleeping, and using the bathroom.

In case SimGuruColin is interested, my specs are below:

System Specs:
    - Model Name: Mac Pro
    - Model Identifier: Mac Pro 3,1
    - Processor Name: Dual-Intel Xeon Quad Core "Harpertown" Processors
    - Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz
    - Number Of Processors: 2
    - Total Number Of Cores: 8
    - Memory: 16 GB
    - Operating System: Mac OS X Version 10.6.2
    - Graphics Card: Nvidia Quadro FX 5600
    - Game Version: 2.2.9.002001 (DVD release)

I know for a fact that my graphics card far exceeds the capabilities of what EA "requires" for this game to run, so that shouldn't be the problem. Oh and Tempestrin, I've had the same problem when calling EA. Back in June I couldn't redeem my promotional cars or Simpoints, they kept offering me PC solutions even though I told them at the beginning of a call, and reminded them throughout, that I was "using a Mac," and "did not have access to a PC." They all offered the same solutions, and all involved IE, which Mac users don't have access to as you probably already know. EA, please accept this point of constructive criticism: When your consumers call your tech support line, and specifically state that they're using a Mac, please do not provide the aforementioned customers with PC-Only solutions. This is very infuriating for us, especially when we tell your techs in advance that we're using a Mac, and when you have a log file of previous calls about a particular incident.

SimGuruColin, if you need anymore info about my Mac Pro (Early 2008,) please just let me know. I'm posting this from my Mac Mini though, which is why I didn't just copy & paste the System Profiler info. I tried to include anything and everything of relevance from the System Profiler though.
  • AvieAvie Posts: 360 New Member
    edited December 2009
    I also have a MacPro with the exact same problem. Calling tech support is like whistling in the wind (and that is the polite version)

Thanks to MATY I have WA up and running. The freezes don't occur in normal gameplay but EVERY time I load a new location the puter inevitably freezes and has to be force quitted.

This really is beyond poor.

• nasty2880nasty2880 Posts: 1
    edited December 2009
    i'm having the same problem, i am saving my game every 5 minutes because if i play more than 30 minutes it either crashes completely or freezes so i have to force quit... its really annoying. My game starts getting a few glitches too before it freezes, thats usually how i know when to save the game if i dont want to lose anything. Im really considering stopping game play all together but that will make me sad bc i love playing the sims
    edited December 2009
    Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am glad that I am not the only one with this problem, but sad that you all cannot enjoy the game.

I am even more frustrated lately. I haven't gotten a response from EA support in over a week and a half. I really wish I had never bought the game now and wish I could have a refund. Real currency would certainly be the best, but I would settle for SimPoints.

I am really beyond angry in the matter.
  • SkateSimSkateSim Posts: 55 New Member
    edited December 2009
    My game also use to freeze. I soon realized it's because it overheats, desperate to find a way to play non stop i took out our floor fan. I let it blow on the back of the computer (its a desktop), and it works. Hope this helps.