Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What era/century does your sim(s) live in?

Comments

• Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I just play present day - like others have said, it's immersion breaking to play otherwise. I'll just leave that stuff to Sims 2 lol.
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Most of mine I have not fixed the whole world since I had not been able to have more than maybe 2 families on the saved families screen, but if I am playing a family they live as older times including not having any real lamps on lighting by candles and fireplaces. My families wont have a television either and only the gramophone type music player too. I do this more so if playing a vampire family but most of mine usually end up being a vampire family, thanks to Vatore always stalking my sims lol.
  • Options
    bombtoribombtori Posts: 30 Member
    Rorosims wrote: »
    I have a few different saved games. Most of them live in the contemporary era. But two of my saves where my main Sims are vampires are set in the Middle Ages. I don't really enjoy the idea of playing with "modern vampires" for some reason, and plus I like to create my own "origin stories" of the vampire culture, which means my vampires are usually among the "original vampires" of my Sim world. :blush: That basically determines that the story needs to be set in an earlier time if I want to play them as young vampires and let them grow into older and more powerful beings. But yes because Sims 4 doesn't let us customize the worlds, and that the worlds are all contemporary, you would need to seriously suspend your disbelief. Nowadays I mostly just avoid going to Willow Creek, and pretend not to see it when my Sims compulsively take out their phones to snap a selfie. But you should definitely try it! It's pretty fun if you can get into it.

I do the same thing with my vampires! I don't like the idea of having powerful and knowledgeable vampires who haven't seen the passage of time haha!
  • Options
    bombtoribombtori Posts: 30 Member
    I was playing a historical legacy family for a little bit. I started in the late 19th century and kept track of what "year" it was based on what year I determined each person was born based on the storyline. I tried to change the hairstyles and clothing subtly as time went by. I have no CC, so it got really hard by the 1920s since the silhouette is a certain way. I thought it was going to be really fun, but I got frustrated because the look wasn't right. I got seasons right as the 20s were ending, so they had one last New Years bash before the Stock Market crashed. They were a rich family living in a Victorian Mansion but lost all their money. The way I originally started the family was with two sisters. One sister got turned into a vampire. I intended for her to take back the family home because she "inherited it" (aka after the family lost the house, she secretly bought it) and then live through the decades paralleling her sisters descendants.

I also tried to play it like world events were happening. Like during the late 1910s, the oldest son "went to war" and a couple of the family members died from the Spanish Flu.

Anyways, I stopped playing a couple months ago but now I want to play that family again!
  • Options
    FeisbukaiteFeisbukaite Posts: 703 Member
    All of my (more or less 90) sims live in current time. I would like to play older era, but there is no available pack and clothing for that.
    I even can't play 80's 90's to simulate my life in my country, because there is no possibility to play apartment buildings.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited August 2018
    My sims currently live in a slightly futuristic time place for my story save. Holograms and other futuristic tech is out there for the government and very rich, but not easily accessed by the public.

Many of my sims have been around since before electricity and are still alive. Few are still alive from the rennessaince days, and a couple are still alive from the medieval days.

My story has its own time periods that do not necessarily reflect ours. Technology is discovered at a much slower rate. Medeival days are the first recorded days of men, but there is time before that.

Only two central characters still alive from the medieval days in my story are the first Vampire and the first Genie.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    WooldropWooldrop Posts: 89 Member
    Present day for me. There are just not enough options for previous periods without a load of cc.
    Gallery ID: WoolDrop

My Creations Thread is HERE

Follow me on Twitter: @DropWool
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Mid-century on up. Really though it's timeless sort of Sim time. If cell phones weren't attached and we didn't have roads with cars or walkbys I'd probably try to set up more past era or fantasy type worlds.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    valexxtinavalexxtina Posts: 66 Member
    I play in present day, however I have a save file which I'm playing the decades challenge, so I'm trying different centuries.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    Before my game cacked itself, I had a 19th Century save where I half rebuilt Sutton Scarsdale Hall:
    205739_f56fe51e.jpg
    I used old floor plans, old photo's that are kept in the church next door (IRL) my own photos and actually visiting the place to recreate it back to its former glory.

It took months I started in March then stopped once Seasons came out and I have only just finished the ground floor.
    I built it once in The Sims 3 too.

I love history xD
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I usually play an aesthetic rather than an era - I suppose it's set in modern times. If my Sims are more techie or business-focused, they generally get more trendy clothes and an ultra-modern house. If they're more creative, I tend to build more retro houses and dress them in comfortable clothes.

If I have a particular story in mind, however, I can suspend disbelief, ignore the cell phones and build a non-modern house (as best I can, given the choices in furnishings), and dress my Sims (as much as possible) in a style appropriate to their time or the story. I just ignore the townies and the modern houses in the neighbourhood, but that's not really so difficult when I'm focused on one family that rarely interacts with other Sims.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • Options
    TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    I don't really play any storylines in my game, just families going about their business so my sims and lots tend to be quite eclectic. Still, if I do ocassionally build a specific style it tends to be a futuristic lot for astronaut sims. :smile:
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    bombtori wrote: »
    I was playing a historical legacy family for a little bit. I started in the late 19th century and kept track of what "year" it was based on what year I determined each person was born based on the storyline. I tried to change the hairstyles and clothing subtly as time went by. I have no CC, so it got really hard by the 1920s since the silhouette is a certain way. I thought it was going to be really fun, but I got frustrated because the look wasn't right. I got seasons right as the 20s were ending, so they had one last New Years bash before the Stock Market crashed. They were a rich family living in a Victorian Mansion but lost all their money. The way I originally started the family was with two sisters. One sister got turned into a vampire. I intended for her to take back the family home because she "inherited it" (aka after the family lost the house, she secretly bought it) and then live through the decades paralleling her sisters descendants.

I also tried to play it like world events were happening. Like during the late 1910s, the oldest son "went to war" and a couple of the family members died from the Spanish Flu.

Anyways, I stopped playing a couple months ago but now I want to play that family again!

That is what happened to the hall in my post, in 1919 they sold all of the interior of the house, some of it is in the Philladelphia Museum of Art https://www.philamuseum.org/collections/results.html?searchTxt=sutton+scarsdale&keySearch=+Search+&searchNameID=&searchClassID=&searchOrigin=&searchDeptID=&accessionID=&page=1 and there is some in a library in California.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/sutton-scarsdale-hall/history/

It is so interesting :smiley:

2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Present day or future.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Today more or less.

Little bit difficult to hid the darn phone - so I just go with the flow.

In past games I did play all sorts of eras though - but with Sims 4 I stick with today, but a gentler, kinder today.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JKaorinJKaorin Posts: 30 Member
    I agree with most posters that the cell phone really destroys whatever atavistic inclinations you might have. I made a house for one of my sim's grandmother's and I didn't put a computer in the house and instead used the cheap tv and the gramaphone for entertainment to make it look sort of like 1950s-ish?? But the whole experience got ruined once the grandmother got sick (the only way to buy medicine being through the computer iirc) and getting texts from her grandchildren. >_<
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    My sims live in our time, constantly using their phones etc would make it hard to send them a couple centuries back, no?

In TS3 I did play 18th (or was that 17th?) century, building a big town from scratch, playing the families and developing the community through a period of 300 years! It was great fun, and actually a spontaneous project.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    How fun would it have been if we could play legacies and actually see the neighborhood change with the generations. I wish that the devs had skipped all the fake backgrounds completely so we had control over our own neighborhoods and world. I used to play different time periods on Windenberg Island but it recently became invaded with random visiting sims wondering through. A person can only delete so many sims before just giving up. Maybe I will be able to play my way again if they ever release Sims 5.
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The way the game is geared, it forces current era. The sims are too connected to technology. This is a problem by design and I wish the devs would change this. I would love to be able to play the game in the eras of the 18th and early 19th centuries.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I was playing a Victorian save on Windenburg island, but seasons ruined it because now there are constant walkbys on the island. I can't play that save anymore because it's too immersion breaking to see sims walking by the house wearing modern clothes. Even if I edited everyone's clothing to be more appropriate, I have a lot of sims walking by in the scout uniform which I can't edit.
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    the present in all games.
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    xD I tired making my vampires look from the 18th for their dark look but kinda hard keep unmodern. and forgotten hallow good start but rest world not so much. ts3 would be easy for me.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    Present day, but my current household are vampires so they decorate very dated as well as have an ancient crypt below their house which in my story is thousands of years old. I guess it's just hard for them to kick the habit and they can't really adapt to living in a "modern" way.

I think it'd be cool to try and live in a modern vampire household though, I might try it one day.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • Options
    Emo-usagi2187Emo-usagi2187 Posts: 600 Member
    Shinzen wrote: »
    Present day, but my current household are vampires so they decorate very dated as well as have an ancient crypt below their house which in my story is thousands of years old. I guess it's just hard for them to kick the habit and they can't really adapt to living in a "modern" way.

I think it'd be cool to try and live in a modern vampire household though, I might try it one day.

I know what you want you mean is hard keep playing era.
    [img][/img]48163509141_6d283a2fcb.jpg06-30-19_1-14-16 AM by Jeannita Szalai, on Flickr
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    Mine is 2010s. This is especially true for the architecture, which I build modern houses. I never considered retro... I just may try it.