Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which cheats and why?

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Cheating is neccessary to how I play.
    I've become a 'wanton woman'. I use cheats a lot. I play larger households and use full autonomy, which helps. But, I'm finding that the child on up Sims are almost always run down. I have the MCCC mod, so I can readily click on Make Happy to fill all needs when necessary. I rarely ever use such a cheat on my toddlers, however. They have to be in really bad shape before I'll fix their situation. That is only occasionally, happily.

I also use testhingcheats true/ freerealestate on when I move my Sims to a new location. I find I have little to no aversion to using said mod to skill my Sims up, since I have a tendency to start an entire family in CAS. Makes no sense that parents of teens, and/or child Sims would have no skills whatsoever. Would that EA would make this an option in CAS. That way people could choose to have unskilled adults in their game, if desired, or to give said adult Sims a nice leg-up. I also confess, I use money cheats when the need arises.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I use some cheats occasionally to often in my gaming style
    I use Motherlode a lot because I get most of my apartments/houses from the gallery and I need my families to actually be able to move into them immediately. :D I give them their money boost so they can afford the house I want for them.

Since I play with large families a lot, in order to be able to do special events without having to worry about them, I'll disable their needs so I can get through the event and do everything I want to do and not have to keep track of everyone's needs and worry about someone starving or whatnot.

Similarly, I often spam toddlers through the ball pit to get their movement to level 4 in one sim day. As such, I use Make Happy to constantly fill their needs over and over so they don't get exhausted or hungry and need to stop.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The main cheat I use is freerealestate to move in Sims who I'm not going to actively play but to give my Sims neighbors to visit, especially if I find a good family on the Gallery or a particular game-generated Sim catches my attention after a makeover. I also use mods that might be considered a bit "cheaty" like UI Cheats Extension to help create my own townies -- I'll create them in CAS, place them in the game then give them a few skill points and some of the reward traits and the Character Traits from Parenthood to givn e them a bit more flavor, like an Argumentative Sim with Uncontrolled Emotions, or an Irresponsible Sim with Good Manners. Then I set them loose in the world for my Sims to encounter.

For my own Sims, I mostly just use the Make All Happy cheat on the mailbox (testingcheats true) when I first return to a household after rotating away to take care of all the bad moodlets that seem to occur while I'm busy with another family in my rotation, especially if it's a work/school day and everyone is hungry and needs to pee but only have an hour before leaving for their daily tasks. :o
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    Cheats arenโ€™t a necessity for the way I play but I do use specific ones quite often. They would be the move objects cheat, testing cheats, free real estate, and the full edit mode for CAS. I have a mod that permanently unlocks all reward items in buy mode so that would be considered cheating too I guess.

I use that too but mainly just for building, especially for venues like museums and art centers to add the highest quality easels, or if I want some extra decor pieces for a venue, or if I'm remodeling a restaurant and want to use the counters from the Culinary career because they go the best with the chef's station. Very rarely if the Sims have the money I'll buy one of the career-specific computers or desks for the Sims' home office because it looks cool, or the career related items like the Seat of Health from the Doctor career work better in my decor scheme.
  • Options
    I was wondering: In your general gaming style, not counting challenges and so on, which cheats do you find essential to you for playing, and why?

(And on a side note, can someone PLEASE tell me how to use the testingcheatsenabled and freerealestate cheats now??? I'm not sure if I'm remembering how to utilize them wrong now (for some obscure reason)...Or if one of the recent patches has somehow messed such up in my game? Help! :'(

Some good resources for game cheats:

General (base game) cheats
    Vampire cheats
    Parenthood cheats

These are good for when creating your own townies, especially vampire for background purposes; been looking for good vampire houses for the two unoccupied lots in Forgotten Hollow, though if I give my created vamps the Sun Resistance power I could move them into other worlds.
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    I only very rarely use cheats. And then only for something one-time specific.
    I occaisionally use FreeRealestate when breaking up my big families to give the adult kids their own homes.
  • Options
    mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Use ALL the cheats!
    I cheat up skills all the time so my sims don't have to waste time waiting for a promotion. Like in the chef career, I always cheat up the mixology skill before the career branches because I don't want to buy a bar (and often don't have anywhere to put one). For example.
    ๐ŸŒปI'm not a cat.๐ŸŒป
  • Options
    JojoMOMSTERJojoMOMSTER Posts: 1,966 Member
    I have no patience for vampires but like to use all build items so I run TwistedMexi vampire toggle at all times. If am building or making SIMs for a purpose I use as many cheats as I need to tell the story.
    If I am actually playing then I will follow challenge rules and for the most part not use cheats in my current household.
  • Options
    irishfinoirishfino Posts: 73 Member
    Use ALL the cheats!
    a little freerealestate here, little motherlode there... no harm, no foul, lol.
  • Options
    dopaminedroiddopaminedroid Posts: 169 Member
    I mostly use cheats to set up my game before the actual gameplay starts, e.g. taking away money from a homeless sim, moving a sim into a home that's not a starter house because my story is going to be about something else than gaining money, setting up skills because it's unrealistic that the adults of my families would have acquired no skills whatsoever in their lives, setting up parenthood character values for a teen that's supposed to a troubled teenager instead of all created children/teens having neutral character values to begin with. Using cheats in those kinds of ways actually feels less cheaty to me than using earned aspiration rewards during gameplay. Other than that I use BB cheats, and reset.sim of course. But it can all depend on what kind of story/challenge I'm playing.
    -OneGrilledCheese @ the gallery-
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I never use the more complex cheats that require sim ID, but cheating skills and needs up is essential to my play style.
    Proud black simmer ๐Ÿ–ค
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Options
    dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Use ALL the cheats!
    My best friend can type motherload in her sleep, because of the times I put her to work spamming it into my cheat box when I'm too lazy.

I concentrate more on sims relationships, interactions and story-line. Not so much the nitty-gritty of getting money, earning promotions, and becoming a stable human being.
  • Options
    Holy_CowHoly_Cow Posts: 47 Member
    Use ALL the cheats!
    Sometimes my computer glitches and the sims can't do anything even with the reset sims cheat, so I fill their needs so they don't die. After for a while the game fixes itself. I use pretty much all of the cheats in different challenges, legacies, and stories.
    Holy cow! I completed the Grilled Cheese Aspiration! :P
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited August 2018
    Use ALL the cheats!
    There are enough rules in real life, I can't obey to the game rules in the sims life.

Play with life ? Nope. Cheat with life !

Top 10
    1. traits.equip_trait
    2. stats.set_skill_level
    3. careers.add_career
    4. sims.get_sim_id_by_name
    5. sims.summon_sim_to_zone
    6. cas.fulleditmode
    7. bb.moveobjects
    8. bb.showhiddenobjects
    9. bb.enablefreebuild
    10. headlineeffects off
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Somewhere between 3 & 4. I use the free real estate cheat (It's freerealestate on btw in case someone hasn't told you yet), when placing legacy founding households into the game, mainly because I use old households I'd saved to library which always resets their funds, but also to get them into a variety of neighborhoods & lots appropriate to family size, instead of crowding them all into starter neighborhoods. Subsequent generations, however, must buy what they can afford.

I use the needs cheat quite a bit-early in the morning, so they're not all fighting over the bathroom(s) and scrambling to get breakfast before work & school. I also cheat up the needs on stray & non-active pets that are looking pretty haggard out there, and toddlers if I'm sending other household members out on the town, or when they're exploring the jungle.

I use the aspirations cheat once they've met the necessary skill level, because I've already met most of those challenges several times over. I use the show hidden objects cheat to give them all the magic beans when they first move in because that adds 5000 simoleons to their household, but for some reason I refuse to ever use the other money cheats. I use other cheats, like reset sim, when absolutely necessary, but those are the main ones I use regularly.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    Sonata13SingerSonata13Singer Posts: 183 Member
    I do use the moveobjects cheat and resetsim cheat if something goes wrong. I very rarely use cheats with the command center mod to change relationships.
    3ZWheQM.gif
    Origin ID: Sonata13Singer

I also create music and art (search up Sona13Singer on google... but I haven't been uploading a lot recently)
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I can't play without MC Commander. It doesn't make sense to me, if you make an adult sim, that they don't know how to cook or do things that any adult would know.
  • Options
    BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,966 Member
    I would love to vote for "I don't play with cheats at all" but that's not true.

But the only cheats I ever use are:

cas.fulleditmode & bb.moveobjects
    Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories ๐Ÿฆ‡ and an ongoing ghost story ๐Ÿ‘ป.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi๐Ÿคชts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! ๐Ÿ‘‹
  • Options
    aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    I use the freerealestate, testingchests, MOO, CAS.fulleditmode and skill cheats mostly. Oh and the cheat that unlock objects in buy mode.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• Options
    meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    I don't see a lot of the cheats in this game as cheats. For example, I always use move objects when building. I use testingscheats to go into CAS faster, and add freckles etc on children since they don't appear naturally. But changing appearance further doesn't count as cheating to me either, since it doesn't affect gameplay.

Now, cheating for real would be giving your family more money, raise their skills or career, or raise relationships immediately. That makes gameplay easier since they get the thing you're "supposed" to work for in game.

So even if I open up the cheat menu every time I play, I don't think of most of the cheats I use as cheating. But it's not that deep, either lol. Cheating gets a bad rep in other games, obviously, but I don't think it deserves that in The Sims.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    edited August 2018
    I use build cheats a lot (so bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement, bb.showhiddenobjects, bb.enablefreebuild and of course bb.moveobjects)

I'm not a consistent builder, but I have a lot more fun making houses when I'm not limited to the grid.

I use cas.fulleditmode for my freshly spawned townies so I could have sims that don't look so similar to one another with the generic "townie" face templates and all that. I've been playing the same save since launch, so I know all my townies by name and by their face, and I wanna keep it that way.

When I play, I use sims.fill_all_commodities on my packed households sometimes, because whenever I enter a household everyone wants to pee or something. I use money cheats to take away money since I always end up making too much too.

For screenshots I use headlineeffects off to rid the plumbob off my sims.

I think those are just the ones I use. That aside I play ts4 like normal I guess.

My mods have their own use as well, but they're mostly to fix things like the overpowering "happy" buff or weird vampire wannabe/weird rain attire walkbys.
  • Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I very rarely use money cheats (only when I'm building houses for NPC's in live mode)
    I have testingcheats and cas.fulleditmode always on just in case.
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    I use cheats to reset sims and buy people that I don't play but care about decent sized houses.

I also use money cheats but to reduce money as I have a lot of stipulations but for added realism like taxes week or bi-weekly or scouts fees and funds.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited August 2018
    I use "cheats" regularly as part of setting up new households. It's important to my gameplay that new Sims seem like they've actually become who they are now, not just popped into the world. I want them to have some skills, some people they know (I use clubs for this, then cheat relationship levels), be farther up a career if they're older, have an amount of money that I feel like makes sense to them, have relationships that are weaker or stronger than 50% with family members, etc.

I think of "cheats" and mods that increase the availability of "cheats" as just alternative ways of accessing game tools, which is why I put the word in quote marks. I don't think it's an appropriate word for what these are in the context of Sims. There's nothing to cheat -- there are no rules, and there's no winning.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER โ€” Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    I use money cheats like Freerealestate on, motherlode and money to remove money as a significant factor and reducing the number of vacant houses.

Even when the game moves sims into vacant houses or apartments, I use motherlode and money to turn the house into a decent or great home for the sims moved into the house. I consider it public grants or subsidies. Other cheats are only used when my mistakes makes the sims into troubles.