Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Helitorian wrote: »
    The only thing that'd make me move on is if Sims 5 was a combination of all the best things from 3 and 4. I enjoy the open world of 3 and the looks of the sims and houses in 4. The lack of an open world in 4 is the only reason I haven't moved to it.

In an ideal world any future iteration could bring together the best features of previous packs. The problem might well be deciding what features should be included and excluded. Obviously the ultimate decision would rest with the company but they are going to be bombarded with ideas from two distinct communities neither of which, I suspect, would be prepared to compromise. For example I would not be prepared to compromise over the aesthetic of the game. I am not particularly keen on the cartoon look of the sims or the neighbourhoods they inhabit in TS4. I would be looking for more realistic sims. I know the technology is out there because I have seen very realistic avatars in other games.

The good news we still have TS3 which continues to provide a lot of players with a great deal of entertainment. While we have that there is no need to move on unless we want to. Whatever happens in the future whether it is an upgrade for TS3, an UC or a new game it will need to be something very special to tempt many of us away from the game we are enjoying now.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    The only thing that'd make me move on is if Sims 5 was a combination of all the best things from 3 and 4. I enjoy the open world of 3 and the looks of the sims and houses in 4. The lack of an open world in 4 is the only reason I haven't moved to it.

In an ideal world any future iteration could bring together the best features of previous packs. The problem might well be deciding what features should be included and excluded. Obviously the ultimate decision would rest with the company but they are going to be bombarded with ideas from two distinct communities neither of which, I suspect, would be prepared to compromise. For example I would not be prepared to compromise over the aesthetic of the game. I am not particularly keen on the cartoon look of the sims or the neighbourhoods they inhabit in TS4. I would be looking for more realistic sims. I know the technology is out there because I have seen very realistic avatars in other games.

The good news we still have TS3 which continues to provide a lot of players with a great deal of entertainment. While we have that there is no need to move on unless we want to. Whatever happens in the future whether it is an upgrade for TS3, an UC or a new game it will need to be something very special to tempt many of us away from the game we are enjoying now.

A true successor should NEVER exclude features.
    sikasika18 wrote: »

I started out agreeing with your statement and then thought about the transition from TS2 to 3. You could argue that TS3 was a natural progression from TS2 but then again you could also argue that TS3 did not follow on because loading screens were abandoned and the use of open worlds was introduced. The problem we have now though is you have two groups of simmers, one which expects any future iteration to go back and build on what was introduced in TS3 and the other group who expects the features of TS4 to be used. A bit of a dilemma for the company methinks :) However for the moment it remains academic as the life of TS4 has been extended. I remain interested to see how it all pans out in the longer term though.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    edited August 2018
    sikasika18 wrote: »

I started out agreeing with your statement and then thought about the transition from TS2 to 3. You could argue that TS3 was a natural progression from TS2 but then again you could also argue that TS3 did not follow on because loading screens were abandoned and the use of open worlds was introduced. The problem we have now though is you have two groups of simmers, one which expects any future iteration to go back and build on what was introduced in TS3 and the other group who expects the features of TS4 to be used. A bit of a dilemma for the company methinks :) However for the moment it remains academic as the life of TS4 has been extended. I remain interested to see how it all pans out in the longer term though.

I was pretty angry when I discovered that the sims 3 excluded some things from 2 but that is nothing compared to the stripping down of the sims 4 and just how much they took away. The sims 3 still felt like a successor in many ways but the sims 4 feels more like a spinoff. If they took the sims 2 just the way it was and just added an open world on top and the cast tool it would be better than what the sims 3 was and then imagine of they made all of that with the sims 4 graphics. It would be amazing and nobody would complain i think. Also, loading screens isn't a feature but a technical sacrifice/workaround and the transition to open world was natural. Going BACKWARDS to loading screens is not progression in any way.
    @sikasika18 I was very unhappy seeing loading screens return for TS4. Open worlds really sold TS3 to me even though I had great fun with TS2 despite the loading screens and the wretched yellow taxi. Up to and including TS3 brought new features to the game. It is hard to remember but the launch of TS2 was revolutionary in that it gave us the game in 3D. I want the next iteration to be just as revolutionary and to achieve that I strongly believe a total redesign might be necessary. To keep rehashing old material even if it is in a new skin isn't going to be enough to keep this series going. It needs a radical overhaul.

I suspect but can't prove that is one of the reasons a lot of us are remaining with TS3. Even if we don't acknowledge it to ourselves it is there on a subconscious level. So we are waiting it out to see what comes next. There is nothing wrong with that because as humans we do look for new ways to be amused and entertained. Nor does it detract from the fact this community is incredibly loyal to the game we have at the moment and is just as keen to see improvements to it in the form of an upgrade.

All that said there needs to be balance. To throw the baby out with the bath water isn't right either. The community was fractured with the release of TS4 and has developed into two distinct groups. For any future iteration to work successfully and sell well the company must find a way of satisfying what may well prove to be conflicting requirements. So that whatever is selected for inclusion can be built on, not only for the life of the game but further iterations. To my mind that is not so far from what you are suggesting although I do question the TS4 graphics bit. If you mean the technical improvements then fine but it you are talking about the art style then count me out. I really do prefer the art style of TS3 to that of TS2 and 4. Better still would be an art style which is little short of photographic. Personal preference :)

It is nearly 1 am here so I'm off to get some sleep :)

Sim enim est vita
    edited August 2018
    @sikasika18 I was very unhappy seeing loading screens return for TS4. Open worlds really sold TS3 to me even though I had great fun with TS2 despite the loading screens and the wretched yellow taxi. Up to and including TS3 brought new features to the game. It is hard to remember but the launch of TS2 was revolutionary in that it gave us the game in 3D. I want the next iteration to be just as revolutionary and to achieve that I strongly believe a total redesign might be necessary. To keep rehashing old material even if it is in a new skin isn't going to be enough to keep this series going. It needs a radical overhaul.

I suspect but can't prove that is one of the reasons a lot of us are remaining with TS3. Even if we don't acknowledge it to ourselves it is there on a subconscious level. So we are waiting it out to see what comes next. There is nothing wrong with that because as humans we do look for new ways to be amused and entertained. Nor does it detract from the fact this community is incredibly loyal to the game we have at the moment and is just as keen to see improvements to it in the form of an upgrade.

All that said there needs to be balance. To throw the baby out with the bath water isn't right either. The community was fractured with the release of TS4 and has developed into two distinct groups. For any future iteration to work successfully and sell well the company must find a way of satisfying what may well prove to be conflicting requirements. So that whatever is selected for inclusion can be built on, not only for the life of the game but further iterations. To my mind that is not so far from what you are suggesting although I do question the TS4 graphics bit. If you mean the technical improvements then fine but it you are talking about the art style then count me out. I really do prefer the art style of TS3 to that of TS2 and 4. Better still would be an art style which is little short of photographic. Personal preference :)

It is nearly 1 am here so I'm off to get some sleep :)

I am not talking about rehashing, but the huge problem of omitting core aspects of a life simulation game. Was it neccesary to remove the smart AI from the sims 2 and the memory system, or the attraction system? No it wasn't because it made the games after it a bit less advanced/good. I agree that rehashing expansions and stuff is just boring because so many of them should be in the next base game.
    We, as passionate fans should not accept the bahviour of EA or the sims studio and make it clear that the sims needs to move forward for real, with innovation but also bringing back the systems that made the sims 2 so advanced as it was and still is. Rehashing has always been cancer in this industry, i don't need another EP around rain and snow when such a simple feature should be i the base game i mean even stardew valley has it and it didn't cost extra. We deserve better because WE made the franchise what it is today and without us there will be no more sims so they should start listen instead of making excuses that lounge chairs are difficult to make or that they need to research stair types for a year before making them.

Also I actually agree with the graphics part. I like it somewhat but the plants and flora in 4 looks hideous. Oh and this is not meant to come off as me being aggresive or mad at you. It is just me being VERY passionate about the sims because it means A LOT to me for very personal reasons so please don't feel like this is aimed at you. I am talking about fans that throw money on EA despite being dissapointed.
  • dandeesimdandeesim Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi I'm new to the sims forum and thought this looked like a great place to jump in. I have taken a long break from playing our beloved game. Life circumstances have changed recently and I have more time to be able to get back into it. After checking out the latest offering from the sims universe I've decided to stick with 3 and install that again instead of moving on to 4. When I started playing 3 many years ago, I thought it couldn't get much better than that. I was right lol. I love everything about the sims 3 and I'm with those people who will wait to see what the next installment is like before I consider moving on.
    dandeesim wrote: »
    Hi I'm new to the sims forum and thought this looked like a great place to jump in. I have taken a long break from playing our beloved game. Life circumstances have changed recently and I have more time to be able to get back into it. After checking out the latest offering from the sims universe I've decided to stick with 3 and install that again instead of moving on to 4. When I started playing 3 many years ago, I thought it couldn't get much better than that. I was right lol. I love everything about the sims 3 and I'm with those people who will wait to see what the next installment is like before I consider moving on.

Good choice ;)
    @sikasika18 forgive the delay in replying but they decided to take the forum down for a while. Thank you for making it clear that your post was not directed at me. For a while I wondered what I had said that was so upsetting :) It is very clear that you are both angry and passionate about the direction the series has taken and I do not disagree with you. Nor do I disagree with you over the game providing more to the players than entertainment. I am counting on TS3 CAW as a major distraction next month after I have major surgery. Enough said.

Bearing in mind this is a thread about TS3 players and why they have not moved on I would like to draw your attention to something @JoAnne65 said about things being excluded not because there wasn't time to include but because these things were never part of the original development plan for the game. If I remember correctly the launch of TS3 coincided with the ownership of Maxis passing to EA whose pervading culture at the time was not one of consultation with the players. What the old Maxis under Will Wright would have thought reasonable to include such as the memory system or attraction system might well have been deemed too expensive or difficult to programme by the new Maxis. It doesn't make it right what happened any more than it makes it right CASt, CAW and open worlds etc being junked for TS4.

I am more hopeful now that the company is willing to engage more with us. I think the initial backlash from the community following the launch of TS4 was something of a wake up call for the company especially coming hard on the heels of Sim City. You and I might not appreciate it but we are incredibly lucky that the plug wasn't pulled on the series as it was for Sim City. I remain wary of any future offerings though, whatever the level of consultation beforehand because I pretty much know what kind of game might make me move on from TS3. I am not prepared to settle for less.

What others choose to do is entirely a personal choice. I suspect that each time a new pack is released some are taken in by the hype or continue to have the expectation that this might be the pack which makes TS4. They are no different from the rest of us in wanting the best for this game franchise. Then there are the new generation of players who were not born when TS 2 was released and who have known nothing but TS4. Their expectations and standards are likely to be different from ours. It's a merry mix and the company may well have difficulty in satisfying all our requirements. However you are right, we are the paying customer and we are the informed customer. So let's hope there is a consultation with the player base whether it is for an upgrade to TS3 or a new iteration and that most of us get what we really want to go on simming happily.

Sim enim est vita
    dandeesim wrote: »

Welcome back :) I hope you have great fun rediscovering all the good things TS3 has to offer.

Sim enim est vita
    I hope your surgery goes well and that you will recover quickly. I appreciate your replies and understood the forums was closed in some regions :) I agree with everything you said but I also know that there are those that openly states that the old games were better and then continue to buy new packs just to return to the forums to complain and declare their dissapointment. These people needs to understand that you have to vote with your wallet and that it is for the best of the franchise to stay strong and not give in. I know there are different groups and I would never critisize the people who DO enjoy the more streamlined and cut back version of the sims because everyone enjoys different aspects of a game but the ones who are dissapointed really should stop buying the packs.
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Unlikely. Because it's painfully clear EA's business model will NEVER change. The 3:56+ min explains where it all went wrong for not just the Sims/Spore franchises, but other former indie software devs EA assimilated. Like Bioware etc. Why it's highly unlikely TS5 will ever surpass TS3 let alone TS2. The diabetes EP & SP are living cybernetic proof of that.....

The assimilation of Maxis begins at 7:20 :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSBC3OIzjIc
  • Jdog054Jdog054 Posts: 43 Member
    I would like to try it but I just feel like given the fact that the sims 3 base game had more content that appealed to me compared to the sims 4 and how to me personally all of the packs they are giving come off as Ea trying to get as much money as they can, It just doesn't interest me. I still like how in depth the create a sim is and the build mode seems cool but the fact that it took years to add some content that already came with previous games and the basic sounding game packs just kinda turns me away from the sims 4.
    @yoshi_dragur2012 it is late here and I am very tired. I am somewhat confused by your post probably because I am tired. All I would ask for now is there is nothing further added to encourage the mods to see this as speculation or rumour with the result the thread is closed or moved. The theme of the thread is to find out what might tempt people away from playing TS3. That way I can get some sleep and have a discussion with you tomorrow :)

Thanks.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Jdog054 wrote: »
    I would like to try it but I just feel like given the fact that the sims 3 base game had more content that appealed to me compared to the sims 4 and how to me personally all of the packs they are giving come off as Ea trying to get as much money as they can, It just doesn't interest me. I still like how in depth the create a sim is and the build mode seems cool but the fact that it took years to add some content that already came with previous games and the basic sounding game packs just kinda turns me away from the sims 4.

There is a 48 hour free trial of TS4 which might help you decide whether or not the game is worth investing in. I would also recommend watching a few YouTube videos if you have not done so already. That has always helped me make up my mind about buying EPs and store content in the past for TS3. Reading through this thread there are others in the same position as you and I really think it is better to know one way or the other how you feel about TS4. Better than having a lingering doubt that you might have missed something you might have otherwise enjoyed.

On the other hand if you are completely happy with TS3 why not just continue playing. As you say there is so much content to explore. Some of us are still finding new things even after 9 years of playing :)

I really hope you find what suits you best and it is happy simming after that.

Now I must go get some sleep.

Sim enim est vita
  • Starglitters9909Starglitters9909 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Yes I have to agree with Bettyboop55 and Helitorian. When I play the sims 3 I still notice things in the game that I had not noticed before. A sim may do something I had never seen them do and I think, gosh, I never seen them do that before. The lack of an open world is why I too have not moved on to the sims 4. I like the way they look but that's just not enough for me to switch.
    6cca377d-2512-4319-9ce5-8f4c646cf7f8_zpsa768ec53.jpg
    Yes I have to agree with Bettyboop55 and Helitorian. When I play the sims 3 I still notice things in the game that I had not noticed before. A sim may do something I had never seen them do and I think, gosh, I never seen them do that before. The lack of an open world is why I too have not moved on to the sims 4. I like the way they look but that's just not enough for me to switch.

I think we all have our own deal breakers and know what might make us move on. The good thing is the level of content TS3 has and the way the sims interact with it. For most of us that means there is plenty to keep us entertained until we find something new that we really want to try.

Sim enim est vita
  • Saga-MinxSaga-Minx Posts: 580 Member
    I always think when I pack I really like, like seasons, comes out for sims 4 I will stop playing sims 3.
    Like I need that little bit of magic to make it great and better, but it never comes.
    After playing a weak of the new pack in sims 4 I get bored, and start irritating because of all the restrictions.
    Sims 4 just doesn't have the magic sims 3 had for me.
    I remember I always thought it would be so great if we didn't have loading screens and a open world, with sims 2.
    And then sims 3 was released and I finally got my wish, nothing topped that feeling until this day.
    I think the only way I would move on if sims 5 was a combination of the best parts of sims 3 and 4.
    @Dutchysim thank goodness for TS3 :) As TS3 players we have been spoilt with lots of good content and Seasons is a prime example of that. There is so much content and added gameplay to keep almost all of us happy for a very long time. With a base game with a good level of content and packs such as Seasons there really is no incentive to move on. For the future I think the company is going to have real difficulty in picking the TS3 and 4 features to combine into a new game because of the two separate sim communities which now exist. It will be interesting to see how the company tackles this.

Sim enim est vita
    Dear All,

I am away from the forum for a while. I will have my tablet with me but I may not be in a position to post much, if at all. What a relief for everyone :D:D

People are welcome to go on posting.

I wish you all Happy Simming whatever game you are playing :)

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • UnseenHorizonUnseenHorizon Posts: 212 Member
    The Sims 4 was a knock to my confidence in buying a base game for The Sims to be honest and is the one of the reasons why I never moved on.

To move on from The Sims 3, I'd have to be convinced that the base game content being offered is substantial enough to meed my needs. A base game that neglects gameplay and lacks features is a red flag for me, I understand that the base game will never offer as much as a TS3 game with EPs and SPs (and by extension mods) but it has to feel engaging and offer enough to actually do without it getting boring after an hour.

I remember when I first played The Sims 3 for example, I manually used 'Go Here' to run across the roads to visit other houses or venture into town because I loved how open it felt, like there was a lot of places to explore things to do and people to meet in this big open world. Of course I found the map view feature later but this was a great experience for me, and I could not put the game down for hours.

For me, a new game would have to recreate this feeling somehow while retaining and improving the features I use.
    "Hosting indoor firework shows since '00"
    Currently trying to pick up The Sims 3 again :)

You can find me lurking around The Sims 3 board, feel free to say hi!
    @UnseenHorizon I have never thought of it as a knock to confidence but you are right. Most of us were hoping for a game which updated and improved TS3 but were somewhat shocked and disappointed when TS4 was launched. Not moving on as a result of that experience is perfectly understandable. The good thing is TS3 still has a lot to offer even after 9 years :D

On the subject of open worlds I still send my sims off to explore. Even now I am finding pretty bits of Sunset Valley I never knew existed. The devs who made these worlds did a good job and their skill continues to provide scenic delights even after all this time.

I must go get some sleep.

Sim enim est vita
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2018
    I love the sims 3 much more anything but sometimes I feel stuffed as a Christmas turkey so I need to play other sims games or because I need to play other sims games for my story or for changing my mind. I hate routine. I am an ESTP person.
    Currently I am a bit off because I had to make some deletions from duplicates package/sims3pack version of the same files. It took me time, I probably not finished yet and I am quite lost with one conflict of it. Because ot them, I got severe graphics problems that the whole town turned black when I edit the town.
    I understand pretty well the Dashboard so I could guess what's wrong with my game.
    I also had to focus on hunting back my sims 2 cc that took me time to get back a lot of pretty stuffs I need. So I am off.

I am also want to start an other plan for writing with my sims and I need to change the town.

voilà but I love the game and I never ever stop definitively to play it. I just fplumbing... can't.

and as people speaks of the sims 4 : I start to like it ! But it never stop to play the sims 3 never ever !
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • VermilionSphereVermilionSphere Posts: 114 Member
    Sims 4 is so flawed that no efforts to repair it through Expansion packs, Game packs, and Stuff packs will ever succeed . Sims 4 is basically an updated version of Sims 2 , with none of the charm which Sims 2 possesses . Sims Mobile is simply Sims 4 translated to Mobile Devices , and involves exorbitantly high costs to fully enjoy . Sims Freeplay is a full on effort at extracting astronomical amounts of cash from users .

I luv Sims 3 !
  • AnkieACAnkieAC Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2023
    deleted
    Post edited by AnkieAC on