Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

RIP my game

I finally decided to jump on the CC bandwagon yesterday. My CC folder contains over half a gigabyte of stuff already, and I’m still on the hunt for more. I haven’t tested any of it in my game except for the couple pieces I’ve had since forever ago.

Who wants to bet some of it is outdated/broken and I’ll have to spend hours frustratingly trying to figure out what has to be removed next time I start up my game?
Origin ID: foxx-fennec

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It would definitely be a good idea to stop and check. A lot of creators slack on quality these days. You can't just download something and expect it to work anymore.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    So now you've learned why it is important to add things one piece at a time.
  • GalacticGalaxiesGalacticGalaxies Posts: 5 New Member
    i either have too much cc or something is messing up my game :< i can do CAS, but I cant play the game.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited August 2018
    Rmemeber to organize everything you download. I used to just chuck everything in there, it was horrible trying to find problem files.
    Check the dates of what you download too.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    I just got through testing out all the CAS content (just in CAS for now). So far, so good. Hopefully nothing will cause problems in actual gameplay.
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    Im the total opposite. I just started playing vanilla. Just because i hate having to check for mod updates every time we get a new patch. We'll see how long it takes before im ready to pull my hair out.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Sims 4 studio is great for sorting CC, and tray importer can be used to clear it out as well. That's what I use to manage mine.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited August 2018
    Rule 1: Always download and test CC one item at a time, or suffer the terrible consequences.

Your fate is sealed.
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    Lolwut

Who would shove a whole bunch of cc into their game without testing it all first? :p
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    Lolwut

Who would shove a whole bunch of cc into their game without testing it all first? :p

Me, obviously. I’m actually kind of surprised nothing’s gone wrong.
  • JouvayJouvay Posts: 834 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    So now you've learned why it is important to add things one piece at a time.

ohh this.

And this is also why I go with certain creators who I know will update their stuff on a regular.
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I haven’t had a single mod or CC break my game... I don’t even remove it before I update patches...

Some CC outfits have left my sims with invisible parts or black squares and question marks... finding and removing them is a pain...

Some CC is just plain BAD. Like super ugly outfits that don’t fit right.

Some mods stop working after some patches.

But nothing has ruined a save or made my game unplayable...

Makes me feel like I must be missing out on some really cool mods...
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I really want to know because I feel like I’m out of the loop (Spoiler alert; I am) what mods break the game?
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I always do this, but I only download mods and cc from a bunch of creators I trust.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Sims4 Studio is great for finding and deleting CC items that don't look right, are missing meshes or you're just bored with. Thumbnails make finding and deleting these much easier than trying to remember file numbers. It also allows you to tag CAS items for the new hot and cold clothing categories. Staying with creators and sites you trust is also a good idea. As far as game-altering mods go, I currently have twenty in my in-game mods folder. I keep these mods in a folder of its own within the mods folder, making it much easier to check them for updates without the hassle of looking for them scattered throughout your downloaded CC and BB items. So far I have had very few problems with game-altering mods. The ones I rely on the most are ones that get rid of glitches which keeps me sane and adds to my enjoyment of the game. MC Command Center and the UI Extension Cheats mod are two I cannot live without. I don't add new careers or traits to the game because these seem to cause the most problems whenever a new pack or update are released. And I stay with the mods that are updated within a day if broken by new patches from EA. I am currently running my game with 2400 pieces of CC, BB items, and in-game mods, and I am committed to not exceeding 2400 so if I add something new I take something else out. And it is usually something I seldom use or forgot I had.

CC has always been a big part of the Sims franchise. Game-altering mods became very important to me after Sims3 was released simply because of all the glitches. And if not for those mods I would have given up on playing Sims3 fairly quickly. I know many Simmers don't like to use CC or mods but if one is careful about keeping their CC folder free of things that cause problems or don't look right in the game CC can add a lot to one's enjoyment. And keep you from pulling out your hair in frustration if EA takes a while to release fixes. The leaf piles were driving me bonkers and I finally found a solution a few weeks ago that has eased my frustration with that problem. The leaf piles are now acting properly the way I am sure the devs intended.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Aha, I did that back in TS3. I'm sure I had thousands of CC files that I didn't even use in game.

I had a good routine for testing everything though. One household was assigned the job as TestSims. They got delivered a portion of new items every work day, and spent their days testing stuff. It was quite fun turning the technical boredom into actual game play :) Technically I had one folder system set up for checked files, and another for not-yet-tested. And probably a 3rd folder for items undergoing testing...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Lolwut

Me. If I see something that is missing a mesh, doesn't work so great I use tray importer to find it. If I like it enough I'll look for a mesh but usually I'll just delete. Mods I'm more cautious about.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    edited August 2018
    i either have too much cc or something is messing up my game :< i can do CAS, but I cant play the game.

Have you tried removing your Mods folder to see if you can play? If that doesn't work, try to repair your game by going into Origin and right clicking on the Sims4 cover. Select repair game and let it do its thing until it's complete. Then try playing your game.

If that still doesn't work, pull your Sims 4 folder from your Documents>Electronic Arts>Sims 4 and place it on your desktop. Start your game. Don't panic. The folder will regenerate. Try to play your game. If all is well, you can replace the Tray and saves folders with your old ones. This will give you back your Sims, builds and your game saves. Try to play your game. If that doesn't work, you've found the problem area. If all is well, replace the mods folder with your old one and see what happens. If you could play prior to adding the mods (cc) in your game, then you know it's the cc. I gave up all of the 18th century clothing and stuff I had because it wasn't updated and was messing with my game.

Good luck and I hope this helps. Also, I would only introduce one to five items of new cc at a time and play the game to see how it behaves. Else, you'll be spending far more time trying to figure out just which cc it is.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    citysimmer wrote: »
    Rmemeber to organize everything you download. I used to just chuck everything in there, it was horrible trying to find problem files.
    Check the dates of what you download too.

Also, it is a common misconception that CC can only be put one folder level deep (e.g. Mods > Hair). CC can be put up to four levels deep, script mods can only be put one level deep.
    Just wanted to put that out there since many people get confused and put both only one level deep.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    I totally understand how CC can get out of hand. I had so much CC for TS3, it was scary. With TS4 I did not use any CC at all at first. Now I am extremely careful. Only CAS items and besides a couple of lipsticks they are all Maxis match or even re-colors. And I regularly check whether I need certain items and actually use them and if not I delete them. I also only add 2-4 pieces at a time and test them out before I decide to keep them (I mostly don't). So I only have about 60 items of CC in my game now, less than 200MB. Also, S4S is the best to keep CC organized and delete swatches I will never use.
    But you may be fine if you downloaded the CC from trusted sources.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
  • rydenlrydenl Posts: 23 Member
    So I'm relatively new to posting, but have been playing Sims for many, many years (off/on). I've recently started using mods and have noticed that something is glitching my game. I've taken all the folders out, just so I could continue playing.

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly, add one mod (one file) at a time, play your game, and then add another one if all works well??
    rydenl wrote: »
    So I'm relatively new to posting, but have been playing Sims for many, many years (off/on). I've recently started using mods and have noticed that something is glitching my game. I've taken all the folders out, just so I could continue playing.

I just want to make sure I am understanding correctly, add one mod (one file) at a time, play your game, and then add another one if all works well??

I would say you can add more than one at a time if it is CAS items, but it is difficult to give any advice with the general information you are giving. For all we know you could have conflicting script mods in your game. What kind of mods do you have and what is the glitch?
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required

we all try ...

I would say you can add more than one at a time if it is CAS items, but it is difficult to give any advice with the general information you are giving. For all we know you could have conflicting script mods in your game. What kind of mods do you have and what is the glitch?

Most of my mods are CC, furniture, etc. and for the most part, they were all good. Then I added MCCC mods and some trait/career mods and that's when my game started crashing or I'd constantly be getting an error message from MCCC. For example, any time my sim wanted to use the easel, I'd get an error message. I tried removing the easel, replacing it with a new one, didn't work.
    Then my game started freezing and I'd have to shut it down. When I run the Sims4Studio batch fix, it always comes up saying it's fixed CC.

Most of my mods are CC, furniture, etc. and for the most part, they were all good. Then I added MCCC mods and some trait/career mods and that's when my game started crashing or I'd constantly be getting an error message from MCCC. For example, any time my sim wanted to use the easel, I'd get an error message. I tried removing the easel, replacing it with a new one, didn't work.
    Then my game started freezing and I'd have to shut it down. When I run the Sims4Studio batch fix, it always comes up saying it's fixed CC.

Do you keep all your mods updated? With the frequent patches it is necessary to stay on top of that. It is also interesting that you mention the easel, because their functionality was updated in the patch before the last, so if the error messages regarding the easels have been happening since July 31, that may be a clue pointing to an outdated mod. Regarding career and trait mods, I would probably stick to 1-2 creators, whom I know are vigilant about testing their content after every patch and updating where necessary.

we all try ...

Do you keep all your mods updated? With the frequent patches it is necessary to stay on top of that. It is also interesting that you mention the easel, because their functionality was updated in the patch before the last, so if the error messages regarding the easels have been happening since July 31, that may be a clue pointing to an outdated mod. Regarding career and trait mods, I would probably stick to 1-2 creators, whom I know are vigilant about testing their content after every patch and updating where necessary.

Ok, that makes sense. How do I update my mods? Do I have to go back and find which ones I have an re-download??
    Thanks for your help.