Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Babies: What do you want to see changed to make the most of this life-state?

Similar to my thread about burglars, this one involves you, the simmers, giving comments about what you want to see be added, changed and created to bring new perspective to the life-state that's still technically an object with extra steps.

For me, it's old school:

free up babies so we can move them around the house/world.

thrown in a blast from the past with changing tables, cribs (Actual Cribs, not that poor excuse of a basket).

the diaper outfit that leaves you literally no idea as to the gender unless you check the social bar or family tree...or ask the parents, if you're brave enough to risk being called offensive cus you assumed their child's gender (Yes, make that a thing for plums and giggles).

and of course, enable fridge feeds and bottle dumping so if your parent sims a slob they're prone to leaving old bottles of milk around the house, gross but hey it adds character.

Comment below on what you believe SHOULD be done to fix babies, what items you want to see and what interactions you feel NEED to be added to make this lifestate worth something.

Or just comment on things you want to see be patched in for babies, anything new is a plus.

All I ask as I wrap up this post is for you to be respectful of each other and each others opinions, be respectful of the gurus and sims team working on the game and have fun.

Have a good day and remember to eat your pancakes!

Comments

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,339 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yellow outfit should be girl, green boy iirc (I have replacements in so I cannot tell for certain which vanilla color was which gender).

I'd love the option to change outfits and hair. The way babies are they all look too similar and doll-like.
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    edited August 2018
    I wish we could take babies out of the bassinet and they could crawl around on the floor .
  • NaninaniNaninani Posts: 23 Member
    I wish babies had more skintones besides light, medium and dark. I would like more hairstyles and clothing options.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited August 2018
    I want them to be freed from the bassinet. For furniture, I would like to see a changing table, bouncer, swing, playpen, and some baby clutter items (diapers, bottles, blocks, plushes). Maybe an interaction where family members can play with the baby with a rattle or something.
    I want them to be able to be made in CAS. Have a few different hair options/colors and skin options. Have a few different sleepers/outfits/onesies. Maybe even add one trait like toddlers but maybe not as many. Like Content, fussy, clingy, ext. Some babies will cry more, some will want to be held more, some don't like to be fussed with. I just want them to feel like part of the family. Right now they stay in a dark room where only when they cry a person comes in to change and feed them and then they are left in a dark room again. I want my younger sims (kids and toddlers) to be able to have a few interactions with them too. peek-a-boo would be cute. :)
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • AzarealAzareal Posts: 6 New Member
    I wish the babies were in cuter outfits. They look so uncomfortable and cold.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited August 2018
    Make them an actual life stage and not objects with needs. Free them from the bassinet and give them things to do. Let them crawl around and play with toys. Let us create them in CAS (or at the very least edit them). I haven't been playing TS4 that long at all, but I've yet to include a baby in any of my families because I don't find them amusing enough to have. I'd be much more open to it if they could be out and about and not be stuck in their cribs forever.
  • jeelybeelyjeelybeely Posts: 4 New Member
    I agree! Sims are able to adopt babies, so having babies as a life stage in CAS would make sense. Like toddlers, babies would have some limited customization (relative to older Sims), but at least you would be able to begin the game with a very young child with more appearance options. I know this is mostly repeated/similar information, but being able to transport babies around the house or around town, as well as customization of their crib would be amazing. Having a less defined distinction between infanthood and toddlerhood would be ideal, but that wouldn't work with the games current aging system.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    My main biggest want is for the babies to be finally freed from their prison cribs, so our sims can take them anywhere and everywhere, like with those funny-cute burrito babies in Sims 3. :smile:

I would also love strollers, baby mats, baby swing, and CAS items (variety of baby clothing and hairs).

I also desperately want a Sims AI upgrade: I want the sims to notice and care about these babies in the first place!

But my biggest number one want is the freeing of the babies. That is the first major step towards making the babies feel more than furniture.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    I can't think of anything extra to add that hasn't already been said...
    For me, the most important thing would be to free them from the bassinet. Whether it's making them 100% free like toddlers or just the ability to "teleport" them from the bassinet to other objects (i.e. changing table, highchair, stroller, etc). Anything it better than their current state.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I'm fine with any change as long as I can still play the babies as they are now.
  • indi_geckoindi_gecko Posts: 15 Member
    With how often sims 'check on' toddlers, you would think that sims would autonomously react to a crying baby.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    At this point I don't expect nor even want any change to the objects...I mean...babies.
    It would be too little too late and I'd rather the team focusing on other life stages and other aspects of the game.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    I want them to be like babies in Sims 2, with a few features of Sims 3.
    • Bathe them in a sink
    • Change them using a changing table
    • Put them on a play mat or in the baby swing
    • Take them for a walk in a stroller
    • Have the option of using a crib
    • Better details on the babies like in Sims 2 so we can see their hair & eye color
    • Rock them in a rocking chair

I know this is a random thought but what about the ability for pets to jump up and look at the newborn baby when it comes home (or arrive if you’ve had a home birth)?

Say for a cat they can either be held by the owner or leap up onto the crib and hilariously dangle over the edge trying to get a peek, and for a dog, either be held should they be a small breed, or if they’re large just balance on the side as an excited pupper would!

It’s a random little thought but with the items and abilities you’ve mentioned, I just feel it would add something to every new piece of furniture and feature ability interaction
  • ahoychristieahoychristie Posts: 88 Member
    For starters they need to change the feature that was kinda (but not really at all) included in get to work, finding out the gender of your baby. Gender reveal parties where they can introduce a new cake and maybe other methods of gender reveal with objects in BB. Also, baby showers considering we can do events and a due date in calendar.

I want outfits that you can choose! and socks/beanies!

They could do something similar to how you can make gourmet food for your pets and could make your own baby food, especially out of harvestables! It could make up a few and you could put the leftovers in the fridge. Seriously.. possibilities are endless for babies imo. They could do heapsss with them.

Obviously rooting for all the same furniture and objects everybody else wants to see. More cribs, changing tables, a baby bath, clutter items like nappies and blankets, stuffed toys, interactive playmats and baby bouncers/swings, strollers. Would loooove to see a few baby slings that you can wear so you can carry them handsfree and still carry a toddler. And lets be honest, our sim's husbands wearing the baby backpack/frontpack would be one of the the cutest things EVER.

I feel like a lot of people are wondering why bother working on babies because they age them up straight away, but I feel like that's the point.. You wouldn't age them up straight away if they weren't just an object and were a whole lot more interactive. We love toddlers and we interact with them heaps, teaching them things and nurturing them. If they introduced stuff like that for babies, why wouldn't you want to enjoy them?
  • fairymama47fairymama47 Posts: 180 Member
    Free the babies from their bassinette prisons! I would just be happy if they allowed us to carry the babies around.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I feel like we have been robbed of the whole baby experience which is why I don't actively try not to have them unless I am doing the whole play with genetics thing and that just gives us toddlers and above. When my sims have babies I age them up right away. My cousin who in Sims terms hates children had a baby recently to everyone's surprise. She's such a wonderful mom and we all thought she would never want babies or tots of her own. When she came to our last family gathering we all gathered round to see the new edition to the family and volunteered to help her out with anything she might want or need. Bringing her food something to drink, even volunteering to give her a break even if for just for a minute.

With that said I think I could have put it better than these two.
    • Bathe them in a sink
    • Better details on the babies like in Sims 2 so we can see their hair & eye color

I know this is a random thought but what about the ability for pets to jump up and look at the newborn baby when it comes home (or arrive if you’ve had a home birth)?

Say for a cat they can either be held by the owner or leap up onto the crib and hilariously dangle over the edge trying to get a peek, and for a dog, either be held should they be a small breed, or if they’re large just balance on the side as an excited pupper would!

It’s a random little thought but with the items and abilities you’ve mentioned, I just feel it would add something to every new piece of furniture and feature ability interaction

I have to agree with both of you. I think we should be able to play with them. Sing lullabies to them. have things like a toy drum or xylophone for them to play with. Have any kids in the household wanting to be mom/dad's lil helper and even peek and look in on their sibling/housemate. Even give toddlers and kids the option to play nicely with the baby. I think that there should be a do you need/want any help? option for asking the parents of a baby.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • GodleyjeansGodleyjeans Posts: 336 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I wish we could take babies out of the bassinet and they could crawl around on the floor .

The issue there is babies in game are considered newborns, I agree, they should be allowed to crawl but what if instead of babies crawling which would require a rework of their animations, the Sims team made toddlers able to crawl, rather than an immediate toddle around, building to a scuttle or run, the crawl ability became the new default as soon as they ages from babies?

Believe me I want that ability as much as you do, but with babies it might not make sense, where as it would if you gave it to toddlers instead, furthering the just aged up vibe because you are literally teaching them EVERYTHING
  • Louise_WordsworthLouise_Wordsworth Posts: 33 Member
    I agree with most people re: customising babies, taking them out of their bassinet. Being able to put them on playmats, etc. I wouldn't want their needs to be too involved, mainly because caretaking isn't my preferred play style (I do everything possible so I barely even have to parent my toddlers as is). Maybe keep the 3 main needs, food, hygiene and sleep. Maybe bathtime could just be for fun/bonding, and diaper changes take care of hygiene.

Instead of crawling, maybe they can be placed on the floor and do little slow baby rolls. So they can roll into a different area if you aren't watching them, and you have to put them back on their little playmat. A full sized crib would be nice too.

I wouldn't have toddlers crawling much (maybe a little bit, if they fall down). The definition of toddler is based on their style of walking. So I prefer that they can walk straight away in TS4. In real life it's not really something you 'teach' babies (though you can invest as much time in it as you want). They just kinda get up and start doing it whenever they're ready.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    • Bathe them in a sink

yes thats what I want to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited August 2018
    This was my list of wishes for a baby life state. (I apologize for the re-post. I just didn't feel like typing it all again. :/ )
    Cynna wrote: »

Things I would like to see:

- The ability to dress babies.
    - Babies with hair, eyes, and skin tones that reflect the parental DNA.
    - Babies that can be carried, rocked, sung to, breast fed while seated, and played with in an adult's lap.
    - Babies that eventually raise their heads, roll over, scooch on their bellies, and react to familiar faces.
    - Babies who are soothed by people, or music, and other babies who are soothed and entertained by the television. It's up to the parents to figure out which one.
    - Baby seats that can be set on the floor, on tables, or on washing machines/dryers (to help the baby to fall asleep).
    - Bouncy chairs.
    - Swings.
    - Interactions with all other life states, including pets.
    - Babies that actively reach out and latch onto the fingers of other Sims. Teething babies (about to age up) can bite!
    - Babies that coo to themselves, suck their fists, and investigate their own toes
    - Babies who react to mobiles and lamps that slowly strobe lights on the ceilings and walls
    - During labor, parents can put out the call for relatives and friends to attend. If it's a home birth, they show up at the house. If not, they come to the hospital with balloons and flowers. (Mad props to the devs if Sims who don't like each other get into a fight in the waiting room. :D )
    - Interactions for expectant parents to tell the grandparents the good (or bad) news.
    - Baby showers/gender reveals. The latter is a very trendy thing; EA seems to like that kind of stuff.
    - A fully kitted out nursery with crib, changing table (including a baby tub), mobiles, baby lamps, play mats, crib toys like they had in TS3. Diaper pails that parents actually use, not just for show. Bottle warmers.
    - Babies that need to be burped after meals or the parents will have a rough night
    - Babies with personality. Some can be easy going. Others can be nervous and fretful. Some babies can be independent and don't care for too much coddling. Forget all that rocking, singing, and stuff. Those independent babies prefer to be put to bed and left alone so that they can sleep in peace!
    - Babies will never be left unattended on the floor. When someone puts the baby down, it must always be in an acceptable location: the baby seat, middle of the bed, crib, play mat, swing, bouncy chair, sofa, etc.
    - Interactions where children will be introduced to the baby, allowed to hold them, and help to feed and change them.
    - When the baby is on the floor, a gentle pet will come and lay down beside them. If they're in the crib, the pet can try to peer in at them.
    - Parents can raise a touchy baby who hates all kinds of noise and any disturbances. Or, they can raise a kid that is used to the bustle of family life and can basically sleep through WW III.

In addition to the original post:

- Babies that occasionally get sick and colicky. However, this should be a very rare event (don't make the same mistake as with the pets who are always sick).
    - A caregiver will need to take a day off work to nurse a sick baby back to health. If there's more than one caregiver, there can be spats about who has to stay home with the baby.
    - If a Sim is Ambitious, they may get a disappointed or upset moodlet because they're missing something vital at work. Family-oriented Sims would insist on being the one to stay home. Super Mom/Dad is on the case! :)
    - Another option: the caregiver can make a call to the pediatrician. Within a Sim hour, medicine will be delivered to the home. The caregiver gives the medicine in a special bottle and the baby will be back to their usual self much quicker.

(There should be an option to turn this function off completely -- for those who do not want to roleplay a day with a sick or fussy baby.)

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • emilymsimsemilymsims Posts: 398 Member
    I hope we get real babies soon!
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    I was just thinking about this. I would strollers to come back. I miss being able to go for walks with babies. My Sims would prob have more babies without me aging them up to toddlers after one day if babies were more realistic like in previous games. I liked how you could wash them in the sink in TS2 and the realism they had in TS3.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    I just want them to be real and not objects. I’d like to be able to edit them in CAS. Add hair or no hair, choose cute outfits for them, etc. Being able to walk around with them, and multitask while holding them. Being able to place them down anywhere (couch, parents bed). Getting more cribs, changing table, strollers, etc.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Unpopular opinion but i'm actually fine with the way babies are now. The only thing I would add would be more crib types and be able to see their needs. Other than that i'm fine with them being stuck to the crib.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn