Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Build Mode is Abandoned [ UPDATE] Good News.

Comments

• hevkerhevker Posts: 84 Member
    I totally agree with what has been said so far and that is coming from a casual builder. The lack of matching tones and just items that compliment eachother does drive you crazy. Also I feel rather limited in the walls/floors we've been given so far and with every pack it feels like it's just the last priority. They concentrate on CAS items and even though I do appreciate that... we need more options in build mode. Why is there no terrain editing or pond tools?

I also feel like if they were to address this then it would definitely be in some sort of stuff pack we have to pay for. Sigh.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    hevker wrote: »
    I totally agree with what has been said so far and that is coming from a casual builder. The lack of matching tones and just items that compliment eachother does drive you crazy. Also I feel rather limited in the walls/floors we've been given so far and with every pack it feels like it's just the last priority. They concentrate on CAS items and even though I do appreciate that... we need more options in build mode. Why is there no terrain editing or pond tools?

I also feel like if they were to address this then it would definitely be in some sort of stuff pack we have to pay for. Sigh.

I do not think so. Producers have already said that build mode features usually come through free upgrades. :D
    tenor.gif
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    I'm not huge on building, but I still care enough about it to want more stuff. So this is my personal wishlist:

- More types of stairs, especially spiral and L-shaped. Ladders would also be great. And elevators? You know, just more ways to get to the next floor. Different ways that take up a different set of tiles.

- A lake tool, please, I loved adding lakes and ponds to my Sims 3 builds. Ones that I could fish from, even. The only pond I can find in this build mode is a hidden object, a perfectly circular pond, which is just.. dumb. Unnatural. I wanna make my own ponds that I can cheat fish into, please.

- Foundations that don't have to affect the entire lot.

- Stilt foundations are cool. The ones I could build above lakes. I liked that.

- PLATFORMS. Indoor platforms of multiple heights, much like the half wall tool!

- Ceiling paint.

- The ability to delete a single floor tile instead of the entire room!! I know I can do that if I make that floor tile a room, but it does not need to be that convoluted?? It also doesn't always work, especially when said floor tile is above a staircase. Please, sometimes I just want there to be a hole

- The terrain tool was nice, and I used it sometimes, but it's not completely necessary to me. I never even used that constrainfloorelevation false cheat that much. Mostly because I didn't know about it. I honestly care more about the lakes.

Gotta admit, my Sims 4 builds still look better than my Sims 3 ones, they're also wayyy faster to build as I don't feel the need to recolor absolutely everything, but a few more features and functions wouldn't hurt.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Trusty_McCoolGuyTrusty_McCoolGuy Posts: 13 New Member
    @ApparentlyAwesome said:
    "I stand behind the simmers that want them because a game more inclusive to different play styles tends to be a more well rounded game"
    "I don't want a Sims game that only caters to what I want specifically. I want stuff for as many types of different players as there can be put into the game because what's typical for someone else's play style can inspire something in another's play style. Sometimes we may want to try something new and some things are just useful all around."
    "I consider builders to be a part of the back bone of the Sims community because a lot of people look to them and rely on them. It's not uncommon to see someone on the forums talk about how horrible they are at building and that they just download houses and community lots builders have made. It's also not uncommon to see people looking to builders to learn how to create some of the average or even the unique and cool things they create, but a lot of builders now feel uninspired and overlooked."

@thevogel said:
    "[...] you can still love the game, support the franchise and be critical of things that need to be changed or added to the game. This time around, TS4 is not meeting the needs of all groups of players."
    "So if you are a simmer who enjoys the game... maybe you could help out those of us who really Want to enjoy the game by being supportive and join us when we ask for change. It doesn't ruin your experience."
    "But if you like the game, enjoy what it has to offer...that's fine. So when we ask for support, then hear us out, be one of the peeps that hits the like or Awesome on the post. If there is something you'd like to see in the game, then chime in. That is what being supportive is about."

Please, help make the Sims 4 an even better game. If you don't like building, it wouldn't change anything for you. You'd still have your favorite features. But think about the people who would finally, finally be allowed to play their way, too.

There's a lot of changes that could be made to improve TS4 without harming anyone else, and the last thing any of us want to do is impair anyone else's playing style. Builders have always supported other simmers, because we understand that there's more to simming than a single playstyle.

Please excuse my botched attempt at quoting. Apparently it just won't work for me no matter what I do, so I credited the posters and snipped out the bits I wanted to highlight, since I can't bold or quote properly.
  • Athene_NoctuaAthene_Noctua Posts: 18 Member
    > @Loanet said:
    > I do enjoy building in Sims 4. Or at least, I'd enjoy it if it was more flexible. The inability to have multi-level foundations is frustrating, as is the inability to build over water and the single type of staircase which takes up so much room and is more expensive the higher your walls..
    >
    > Circular rooms would be an absolute nightmare on polygon count which is why they aren't around but their absence still makes me sad with the existance of curved decks.

But we have circular roofs. Also, it's 2018.
  • Athene_NoctuaAthene_Noctua Posts: 18 Member
    I've just reminded myself of another 4 vs 3 irritation: 3: design tool could be used on literally everything. 4:WHY THE FECK DO I HAVE TO RIP OUT THE FECKING STAIRS IF I ONLY WANT TO CHANGE THE COLOUR…?!

Also, why can't I place summat in the middle of a 2-tile table…? Why does it have to be left or right…? That seriously cuts down the choices for sideboards, tables and chests-of-drawers.

I also want to be able to recreate my dream house - not as in my ideal house, but as in one I saw in a dream. It was months ago, but I can still remember almost exactly what it looked like, but I can't because the decor doesn't exist. Too British, y'see… and I don't meant the American idea of British, all Downton Abbey and Betty and Phil. It was in Manchester (I think). All dark brick and smoke.
  • TanjuskaTanjuska Posts: 44 Member
    Yes the build mode needs some serious attention. There has been a lot off the things said all ready that are my wants/needs. Like separate foundations, why do my garden sheds need to be on a Foundation, that's not what i want. Stairs or tools to make different types of stairs, I am bored with straight stairs, also you can't make real life houses with just straight stairs.
    Also the matching colors situation is annoying. There's that wall with white trim that i actually like but most, if not all, windows that are "white" are actually grey when you put them with that wall. It doesn't look good.

One thing i would like to see is basic white, black and 2 shades of grey (light and dark) swatches to be put on everything ever put in the game both build and buy. And they would actually match.

Also i would really like to get proper log walls, both round and flat ones. The one that came with OR is weird, sorry. I would like to see the normal (for me) logwalls where the logs are stacked without that stuff inbetween the logs.

And I wouldn't call myself a builder but i really like building and i almost always build my sims houses myself so the fact that it's so limited annoys me ALOT!

I'm gonna jump to buy mode too.
    Now that ea/maxis has been doing sofas with pillows it's presenting it's own "problem" and i wish they would have made the pillows separates. So you would choose your sofa and then separate pillow if you wanted to. And every pack would come with pillows that match the colors of that pack and they would add pillows that match the base game colors too. That would actually help alot with the interior design.
    Aaand i don't understand why the bedframes and mattresses can't be separates (i use cc for that so it's possible).

There are so many things that i want or are needed in build/buy mode that this became an essay and i could just keep on going :# but i'm gonna stop now. I really hope atleast the foundation, stairs and matching colors/more swatches gets some love from ea/maxis.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I'm not really a builder, but I was able to work around some of the limitations to build l shaped stairs or loft areas and stages. The problem is in live mode in this case, there are restrictions on what the game consider a room, and with seasons is a big problem indeed. While you can build a l shaped stairs, the part who uses the foundation as walls is not a room for the game, and not part of the house, meaning that it's not affected by the thermostat for example. So yeah, build mode needs a rework now more than ever.
  • Trusty_McCoolGuyTrusty_McCoolGuy Posts: 13 New Member
    Why is this thread so quiet? You would think that something that would so greatly affect the game for the better, along with the other fixes people desperately want, would get more attention. Do the devs really care so little about us...? I would hope not. Is it because it doesn't make enough money to give people what they want? Especially when this is possibly the last game in the series? Come on, have a heart, devs!
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I'm not really a builder, but I was able to work around some of the limitations to build l shaped stairs or loft areas and stages. The problem is in live mode in this case, there are restrictions on what the game consider a room, and with seasons is a big problem indeed. While you can build a l shaped stairs, the part who uses the foundation as walls is not a room for the game, and not part of the house, meaning that it's not affected by the thermostat for example. So yeah, build mode needs a rework now more than ever.

I agree. The way that the game registers what a room is and what isn't is very restrictive. This is in the way a lot of times when building. For example when making an open landing, the first floor isn't considered a room.
    I feel like this is due to the way that building was set up in TS4. It's totally different from TS3. For example we can't place individual floor tiles. First you have to select one of the room tools for this to work. Once you get the gist of build mode it's understandable, but it's just too nitpicky.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • DaniJCar2221DaniJCar2221 Posts: 1 New Member
    I found a way to build l shaped stairs in the house and still have a foundation that is separate. it does make a difference but you do get an extra floor and your house becomes slightly larger. the fact that you cant change the size of the stairs or manipulate or play with build mode items makes it feel abandoned. I mean the creators should get in touch with the creators of Planet coaster and do some things. because planet coaster is off the map on creativity for the user.
  • TayraTayra Posts: 76 Member
    edited August 2018
    There, "We are trying to reduce things in the game, to increase the games performance." has literally limited them from adding features in the game itself. I mean, it's Windows 10 for crying out loud. If The Sims 3 can process just fine on Windows 10, so can't The Sim 4. It makes The Sims 4 a smaller version of The Sims 3 in a lot of ways. I bet with all of the stuff in The Sims 4, and all of the stuff in The Sims 2, we would have The Sims 3. I think Maxis and The Sims Studios needs to drop the issue of game performance problems out the window. The game runs just fine as it is, in fact the first time I played the Demo I had performance issues. It would happen when you turned the camera.
    Post edited by Tayra on
    unknown.png?width=841&height=473
    Happy simming, and a Happy Snowflake Day.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    something i miss from sims 3 is the auto roof function. while i find the roof tool ok in sims 4 i prefer to click a button and have my roof done for me as i know my roof will look 'normal'

i also miss the pond feature and the plants that came with it to make a lot more beautiful.

ive always wanted the option to have multi-level homes, like a foundation or deck with stairs down to lower levels or the ability to have stairs down through foundation so i can have my basement under the house instead of an entrance elsewhere in the property

seeing all the posts mentioning that things have been cut due to computer performance is silly to me. computers are getting better and better these days and i thought thats why they had small neighbourhoods instead of open world and performance options for low, medium, high etc so that those with poor performing computers could still play albeit with lower settings.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    I really have high hopes that we will have a tool for building our own L shaped stairs, adding foundations separately, and changing the ceiling tile later this year. I'm really confident.
    tenor.gif
  • sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    something i miss from sims 3 is the auto roof function. while i find the roof tool ok in sims 4 i prefer to click a button and have my roof done for me as i know my roof will look 'normal'

i also miss the pond feature and the plants that came with it to make a lot more beautiful.

ive always wanted the option to have multi-level homes, like a foundation or deck with stairs down to lower levels or the ability to have stairs down through foundation so i can have my basement under the house instead of an entrance elsewhere in the property

seeing all the posts mentioning that things have been cut due to computer performance is silly to me. computers are getting better and better these days and i thought thats why they had small neighbourhoods instead of open world and performance options for low, medium, high etc so that those with poor performing computers could still play albeit with lower settings.

Don't fall for the "performance" excuse when the game still has the same performance problems as previous games but also added simulation lag, which is the worst this time around. The game is basically the sims mobile with a few graphics plugins on top and that is why it had to cut many of our beloved advanced features
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    sikasika18 wrote: »
    sazzieJ wrote: »

Don't fall for the "performance" excuse when the game still has the same performance problems as previous games but also added simulation lag, which is the worst this time around. The game is basically the sims mobile with a few graphics plugins on top and that is why it had to cut many of our beloved advanced features

which sucks!~

while i can deal with smaller neighbourhoods compared to sims 3, as there are always random sims walking around regardless of where my sims are, sometimes the loading screen is a tad too long and the game isnt as challenging or rewarding as previous versions. the game is missing some essential sims magic which i hope is being noticed and slowly implemented
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I couldn't have said it better than OP.

At least give us separate foundations by room. TS3 had this from the beginning in 2009.
    Here's how it could look like in TS4: (made by me a while ago)
    wMFEab9.png

The Sims 4's build mode isn't perfect.
    They've made it much simpler, but cut so many features that it makes TS3's build mode look superior.

I have to agree with my past self here
    a256aFi.gif
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    edited August 2018
    If they were to add cars into the game (they want to add them) then I believe they will have to add the ability to choose what room has a foundation and what room doesn't. Otherwise the only way to have a garage would be to not use the foundation tool and that would be awful.

There is already a way to have fences with or without foundations so hopefully that coding can be used for walls as well.
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    edited August 2018
    The lack of water features at this point is unbelievable. That's the most egregrious omission for me, since I enjoy building but haven't yet ventured into any of the more advanced tools and tricks.

ETA: Saw this Tweet on @simgirl1010 's Guru Tweet thread:

• TayraTayra Posts: 76 Member
    I think the producer for The Sims 4, should give the job back to Ben Bell. I think he did a wonderful job with The Sims 3, he should have lead the project. Pretty sure he could have created a much better game. I would love to find another way to get a hold of this guy without using twitter.
    unknown.png?width=841&height=473
    Happy simming, and a Happy Snowflake Day.
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,108 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the building tools are fine but it does wind me up big time that it's hard to find items in Build and Buy mode that match.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    I'd even settle for fake L shaped stairs. You could always teleport them.
  • SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
    edited August 2018
    I think the building tools are fine but it does wind me up big time that it's hard to find items in Build and Buy mode that match.

This probably annoys me the most, even more than lack of stair options, foundations being lot-wide, and lack of terrain editing. There should be *sets* of furniture... an arm chair, a love seat, and a sofa all of the same style, plus matching coffee table, end table, and lamp. But most of the time there aren't. It drives me up the wall that most of the bedroom furniture is one-offs... it is very hard to find a bed, dresser, armoire, and night stand that are of the same style (in fact, I'm not sure if there is any style set that possesses all four items except maybe the kids' pets-based theme). Most of the time, there is only one object of that style... so you end up with a bed from style 1, a dresser from style 2, a night stand from style 3, and an armoire from style 4. (And a mirror from style 5.) Then there are the shower stalls whose tile wall backgrounds don't match ANY of the tile walls we can actually put in place. Tubs and toilets and sinks not matching style. Etc, etc, etc.

And even when they do have a few items of the same style, good luck finding them, because there is no way to 'group by style' in the search system.

It's really quite infuriating.
  • SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member

This probably annoys me the most, even more than lack of stair options, foundations being lot-wide, and lack of terrain editing. There should be *sets* of furniture... an arm chair, a love seat, and a sofa all of the same style, plus matching coffee table, end table, and lamp. But most of the time there aren't. It drives me up the wall that most of the bedroom furniture is one-offs... it is very hard to find a bed, dresser, armoire, and night stand that are of the same style (in fact, I'm not sure if there is any style set that possesses all four items except maybe the kids' pets-based theme). Most of the time, there is only one object of that style... so you end up with a bed from style 1, a dresser from style 2, a night stand from style 3, and an armoire from style 4. (And a mirror from style 5.) Then there are the shower stalls whose tile wall backgrounds don't match ANY of the tile walls we can actually put in place. Tubs and toilets and sinks not matching style. Etc, etc, etc.

And even when they do have a few items of the same style, good luck finding them, because there is no way to 'group by style' in the search system.

It's really quite infuriating.

Oh definitely all of this. I also hate it when it requires a pack to have a complete set! Like with the single tile New-York/Victorian style window from City Living. We already have the two and three tile version in the base game. So why not patch in the one-tile option before releasing the EP? This only confirms their stingyness. Imo.
    Also in the base game the styles are very limited. For example in The Sims 3 we had Tudor walls and New England shingle walls both in the base game. Now you have to buy a €40 EP just to get one of them! That's unacceptable to me!
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Nuke321Nuke321 Posts: 6 New Member
    I would like to see some eave trimming that we can angle and not create unwanted walls. I would also like the ability to finish the underside of the trim, and our ceilings too. Is there a way to upload a pic? If not, here is the pic of the kind of trimming I am talking about at this EA link: haha it wont let me post a link to the EA site with a pic..says I have to be around longer..been here for a year lol