Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Waffling on Seasons...

But now that it's on sale, I feel like I really should decide. Now, it seems it adds a whole lot of great things to the game, but I'm also hearing about some of its features - working as they are intended - impeding many players' play styles (I have the "one thing you dislike" thread up in another tab as we speak). Everything from disproportionately increased bills to seasonal impediments to gardening and garden-related gameplay (herbalism, some cooking) to autonomous behaviors failing to take weather into account, and more.

I enjoy TS4 greatly, and really want to see all it has to offer, so I'm wondering - how good are the pros? How bad are the cons? And to what degree do we have control over the levels of impact things have (I know there are at least Game Options governing the severity of weather, for example)?

Comments

• LairaLaira Posts: 39 Member
    I think the EP has more pros than cons, but I like the increased bills and the seasonal changes to gardening.
  • ShinzenShinzen Posts: 250 Member
    They've literally just fixed the random sims dying in the cold/heat with the patch they put out today, so if you don't mind the leaf piles then that's the only major bug that I notice with my daily gameplay.

I find Seasons to be amazing because it increases my immersion as well as provides good benefits (for example, if it's cloudy outside my vampire sims can still go out during the day which is amazing) and it also provides beautiful build items.

As far as weather goes, you can't control it unless you have the weather machine, and with that you can change the weather for that day (except you can't make snow in Oasis Springs bc it's a desert) but each world has its own climate, so I'd pick your favourite and try to live there, much like one would do in real life.

You can also have a sim declare a love for a certain weather to a friend/family member, and it'll take that into consideration. For example, one of my sims declared his love for rain and thunderstorms and he no longer gets the scared moodlet for thunderstorms, which is a cute touch.

It went on sale sooner than I expected by the looks of it, and I doubt it'd be on sale any other time soon other than maybe Christmas, so I'd get it, honestly.
    200px-MW-misc-House_Telvanni.png
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    It looks like It's 25% off from what I saw in another thread. Get it!
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I haven't been adding a thermostat to many of my sim houses. They either have a fireplace or that dine out heat thing. They dress warmly or for hot weather. To me it allows realism for me anyway. I also like them having the reaction and doing something about it. I've also not noticed extreme bills yet... but I don't just leave the thermostat on or off either except in really rich households then I don't worry about it at all. I think a lot of this stuff depends on how you play and if you take control of your game.
    I didn't have any extreme death senerios either .. but that's been addressed.
    As for the gardening I'm getting use to it I like some of the changes and some are taking more planning. Mostly I just plan on having a green house for those "real" gardeners in my game.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Grab the bull by the horns and go for it. Ignore the smelly leaf piles that never disappear.
  • Duke_DarkwoodDuke_Darkwood Posts: 59 Member
    Heh. My richest household would probably spike the highest - but it'd be the worst possible time. The passing of the business tycoon patriarch and his celebrity chef wife left them with one income for the time being, and Jr.'s a beat cop right now. (Well, Senior Detective.)

Plants going seasonal will be a bit of an issue for my third household; they have a substantial garden, ranging from herbs and vegetables all the way to Growfruit, Plasma Fruit, and Forbidden Fruit of the PlantSim (and I recently got them the alien fruit and intend to plant it when their week comes around again).

But I'm gonna take the plunge and get it. I want to see the new features, I want the stuff it adds. I'll learn to roll with the punches, as I usually do. Besides, it seems some of the worst drawbacks are bugs that have since been patched out.

P.S. Oh, and yes - the sale is what prompted me to make this topic in the first place. I'd been tossing the notion back and forth almost since it launched, and figured some outside input would help decide the matter.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I would get it even if some of the features are gimped or wait for an sale that is happening right now. I got an discount for it when it came out being I did not feel it was worth full price but having some variations in the weather is better than having always summer. You do not have the choice of making it always winter or mix it up to your own liking. You can use the weather machine if you want to change the weather. I like it better when I was able to set up my own weather patterns as it was in Sims 3. But this seasons is better than nothing at all and there are a couple of features I do like in this one. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    I would get it. It's a great addition to the game! I never really cared a lot for TS4, but Seasons changed it all.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    No waffling for me. Not getting it because of all the problems I've been reading about here and it's missing what I consider a critical component.
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    Plants going seasonal will be a bit of an issue for my third household; they have a substantial garden, ranging from herbs and vegetables all the way to Growfruit, Plasma Fruit, and Forbidden Fruit of the PlantSim (and I recently got them the alien fruit and intend to plant it when their week comes around again).

You might just be happy to know that the exotic "occult" plants are not seasonal. Plasmafruit, Mosquito Trap, and Wolfsbane I know are all year. I'm willing to bet Growfruit is all year, too. Might just be others, some hybrids even. Gardening has become serious business with Seasons.