Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disobedient Sims are driving me crazy

SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
I have experienced this to some extent before, but the last few days playing Sims 4, my Sims are driving me up the wall with disobedience. Before anyone asks, yes, I leave autonomy on. And I know this leads to them having minds of their own. To some extent I like it.

But... when I give them a direct order to do something that has a defined duration, such as taking a shower, cooking a meal, eating a meal -- I expect them to follow through with that activity until it completes. And up until a week or two ago, they did that the majority of the time.

Now, however, especially over the last few days, it seems like I can't get them to do almost anything other than a skill activity (like making an end table at the workbench) without them canceling it the second I switch to another active Sim. I will have a Sim with yellow hygiene, and tell her to "take a shower" and she will walk over to the shower. Figuring that's done, I will click on another Sim and tell him to "ponder chess moves." Once he seats himself at the table (having all needs in the green and thus no urgent needs), I will switch back to the first Sim. She's not in the shower but now petting the cat. I figure wow, that was quick, but check needs and she did not take the shower! Argh! So I order it again -- I have taken to clicking the Take Shower command FIVE TIMES to fill up her queue and ensure the activity. Then I switch back to the 2nd Sim and he's reading a book -- not pondering chess moves! ARGH!

And today, even my active Sims are being disobedient. I had to tell my Gen 3 Legacy heir to eat a meal like 4 times to get her to finish it. She kept taking a bite, putting it down, and trying to do something else (usually -- go to the card table, the pool, or the computer...). It took her like 3 in-game hours to just finish eating.

It's become so ridiculous that for the first time in probably 11 years of Simming, I am thinking seriously about just turning autonomy off and leaving it off. I don't really want to do that -- because I enjoy seeing what they get up to when I am not controlling them. As long as, when I issue a direct order, they follow it (which has been true, generally, in the past). But if they're going to disobey direct orders... I may have to rethink my strategy.

Anyone else having fits with this? Or do you all just play with autonomy off?

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited August 2018
    I've had issues with this I've already turned off autonomy. I too would say this is by far the worst I've experienced throughout the franchise. I used to play with it on but over the years, since release, I've noticed my sims canceling actions on their own and doing something that has nothing to do with their needs or raising the skill they need to get promoted. I mean I get it having autonomy on means they will do what they want at times, however, if something is in queue why wouldn't they complete that first? I've had autonomy off in my game for a few months now and don't plan on turning it back on.
    Post edited by Noree_Doree on
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    I tried with autonomy off but... I just like it better when the Sims do some things on their own.

I don't mind them doing something they "want" that is not part of my "plan" for them -- such as a business Sim sitting at the computer playing games instead of filling out work reports. That's OK, as long as I have not already given the command to fill out reports..

My problem with it is that they are canceling my orders if I click off of them, and sometimes it doesn't even take that -- they cancel them while I am still controlling. Or they just don't do it. Just today, with autonomy still set to "full", I told my 3rd gen mother to take her 4th gen toddler to bed and read to her. The two of them just stood there in the bathroom (the had just done a toddler bath). And did nothing. I waited... and waited. They just stood there with the interaction in the queue but not sliding down to the "doing it" section. Finally I had to cancel both, have them both walk to the bed, and then re-up the interaction.

This kind of thing is really aggravating.
  • Options
    CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    Queuing and multitasking are pretty much broken now. If I tell my sim to do maybe three things in a certain order then switch to another sim to check on they'll either jump around in the list or just glitch out.

I don't want to turn autonomy off because I do play larger families and it creeps me out when they just stand around but since they do that anyways I might need to switch.
  • Options
    Queuing and multitasking are pretty much broken now. If I tell my sim to do maybe three things in a certain order then switch to another sim to check on they'll either jump around in the list or just glitch out.

I don't want to turn autonomy off because I do play larger families and it creeps me out when they just stand around but since they do that anyways I might need to switch.

Yes to both of these.

One thing I don't like is with autonomy off, I don't think they'll even talk to each other unless I make it happen, will they? (Although they kind of do that anyway...). But yeah I have 7 Sims in the house plus a cat (which of course I can't control). I wasn't going to have the spare for my 4th generation (Legacy) yet but mom is really old and has been at the "max age" bar for like a week. I keep expecting her to die but she had max body condition from level 10 fitness so she is just living forever, LOL.

Also the 3rd gen spare is a loner/unflirty so it didn't make sense to marry her off and move her out. She's turned out to be really awesome (just shooting up the Astronaut career at light speed), but it's yet one more Sim to have around. Bleh. Not doing that again either. From now on, the day the spares hit YA, as long as there is a next gen heir in the house, out the door they go, married or not.
  • Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member

Yea that does bother me too, but I also don't like the fact that there is an issue with giving commands and sims canceling and not following them... sigh... there no winning with this issue
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    Yes - I quit playing Sims 4 today because of this. Was getting too annoyed constantly redoing commands. I went and played Sims 3 instead - even the absent minded sims there don't 'forget' as much as sims in Sims 4!
  • Options
    Well, I am not going to quit Sims 4 at this point over it (though I can certainly see doing so).

But I think I am going to modify how I do Legacies in the future. For example, I may just allow myself to reload if the heir dies. I know that's not supposed to be done in Legacies, but, if you relax that rule, then you don't need spares, which lowers the # of Sims you need in a household by quite a bit (you end up with 4-5 at a time instead of 7-8).
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I play with full autonomy on... below that there is another setting to disable autonomy for selected (played) sim. It works really well for me.
    I'm not sure it will work for you as you play it @SimChessack since you jump from member to member pretty fast by your description. It works for me because I usually focus on one sim for awhile. Like if I start them reading or doing their homework or something else that normally locks them in for a bit.. like practicing an instrument. I can switch to the other without much worry that the unplayed sim will stop soon. Then again if I forget about them they will at least find something to do on their own.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    Yes, it is true that I hope pretty quickly from Sim to Sim.

Although one reason I have learned to do that is how relatively dumb they are... how if I don't micro-manage them they tend to do really stupid things like go to bed with a yellow bladder.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I have been yelling at my screen a lot lately with these problems. They drive me round the bend. It's a sure fire way of getting a player to eventually give up and ditch the game.

I would play with autonomy off for selected sim, but I jump to others too much and it doesn't really help me. I may have to switch to autonomy off if it gets me annoyed much more :(
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited August 2018
    Some sims just don't seem to like showering, I've seen them take off their clothes and get in the shower, but immediately get out again without even turning the shower on. As for pondering moves, well... It's a short action, not one that they can do for hours like actually playing chess, so your sim might just have been done with it by the time you went back to them.

Other than that, what you're describing sounds like a new kind of bug to me. Yes, I've also had issues with disobedience since I started playing TS4, sims sometimes drop things out of their queue or refuse to do what you tell them for no apparent reason, and more "complicated" actions like first picking up a toddler and then making it blow out the birthday candles before everyone leaves to do other things can drive me to the edge of insanity because of all the unnecessary fuss my sims make about it, like having to do two specific things in a specific order totally overwhelms their stupid programming. But so far, none of this has ever happened to me just because I switched to a different sim, it happens because they're just that dumb.
  • Options
    sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    one of my main issues is sims who are starving and told to eat putting their meal on the table and walking away or not finishing their meal and walking away. they take so 🐸🐸🐸🐸 long to eat as is without disobedience making it take even longer.

i also find that sims in 4 wont finish reading a book unless its a skill book and they seem to have the smallest attention spans ever unless its autonomously playing games or using exercise machines and it seems to be getting worse from my sims perspective
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I'm surprised so many are just now seeing this sort of stuff, this is one of the many reasons I stopped playing TS4 over a year ago. It was an often reoccuring problem. It would work itself out and then return for the past three years. It got to be too much of an annoyance.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Well, I started playing TS4 when it launched but stopped within a short period (a month, maybe?) due to bugs and lack of features such as toddlers. I came back about 2 months ago. So I am only noticing this now because, well, I'm only playing it now. And in particular get becomes exacerbated in over-large households, which tends to happen in Legacies if you play by the rules (not allowing reloads upon disasters/untimely deaths forces you to have spares, etc).
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    One more reason that TS2 is my almost exclusive Sims game. Even with autonomy on they do what they are told. Whine sometimes, but do it. Everything TS2 does right the people responsible for TS4 have managed to break/ruin one way or another. I feel sorry for the OP, I really do, having had the same experiences on such occasions I try TS4 a while. I don't need or want frustration from something that is supposed to be relaxing, so I play the version that does it right.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    I'm glad my sims aren't like yours OP. So far mine do what I tell them to most of the time - but at present I have no huge household - so maybe that makes a difference.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I feel your pain OP. This is one of the many reasons I’m not playing the sims 4 currently. I know it’s not either pc in my house as they far exceed specifications and I’ve also noticed this issue on console when my niece came over and she was getting fed up with it too.

I had a sim who was almost going into bladder failure, but they insisted they kept wanting to read a book and would cancel the go to the toilet interaction. I wouldn’t mind but they aren’t bookworms so they shouldn’t be that obsessed with books but when they are doing that pathetic I need the toilet walk as they are making a beeline for the bookshelf it just leaves me thinking: “Go to the freaking bathroom and stop cancelling!” It’s not just once, it’s several times a day.

Smarter sims? Don’t make me laugh.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 2018
    One more reason that TS2 is my almost exclusive Sims game. Even with autonomy on they do what they are told. Whine sometimes, but do it. Everything TS2 does right the people responsible for TS4 have managed to break/ruin one way or another. I feel sorry for the OP, I really do, having had the same experiences on such occasions I try TS4 a while. I don't need or want frustration from something that is supposed to be relaxing, so I play the version that does it right.

Yeah same here, The Sims 2 is my go to game if I want true life simulation. I can't believe that they managed to make the sims dumber than even the sims in the first game. I love the graphics and the New CAS but that is not enough and I can live without it. I have experienced this simulation lag on high end computers, i have 2 gaming rigs and it doesn't make a difference. Sure the fps is more stable but the simulation lag is due to the limited engine and has nothing to do with the specs. The simulation lag is seen in their own streams and every youtuber who let's plays the game.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I have experienced this to some extent before, but the last few days playing Sims 4, my Sims are driving me up the wall with disobedience. Before anyone asks, yes, I leave autonomy on. And I know this leads to them having minds of their own. To some extent I like it.

But... when I give them a direct order to do something that has a defined duration, such as taking a shower, cooking a meal, eating a meal -- I expect them to follow through with that activity until it completes. And up until a week or two ago, they did that the majority of the time.

Now, however, especially over the last few days, it seems like I can't get them to do almost anything other than a skill activity (like making an end table at the workbench) without them canceling it the second I switch to another active Sim. I will have a Sim with yellow hygiene, and tell her to "take a shower" and she will walk over to the shower. Figuring that's done, I will click on another Sim and tell him to "ponder chess moves." Once he seats himself at the table (having all needs in the green and thus no urgent needs), I will switch back to the first Sim. She's not in the shower but now petting the cat. I figure wow, that was quick, but check needs and she did not take the shower! Argh! So I order it again -- I have taken to clicking the Take Shower command FIVE TIMES to fill up her queue and ensure the activity. Then I switch back to the 2nd Sim and he's reading a book -- not pondering chess moves! ARGH!

And today, even my active Sims are being disobedient. I had to tell my Gen 3 Legacy heir to eat a meal like 4 times to get her to finish it. She kept taking a bite, putting it down, and trying to do something else (usually -- go to the card table, the pool, or the computer...). It took her like 3 in-game hours to just finish eating.

It's become so ridiculous that for the first time in probably 11 years of Simming, I am thinking seriously about just turning autonomy off and leaving it off. I don't really want to do that -- because I enjoy seeing what they get up to when I am not controlling them. As long as, when I issue a direct order, they follow it (which has been true, generally, in the past). But if they're going to disobey direct orders... I may have to rethink my strategy.

Anyone else having fits with this? Or do you all just play with autonomy off?

are you using mods
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    It's the number 1 reason why I mostly stopped playing TS4. It's definitely not a new bug.

I always play with free will turned off for the selected Sim. For example I tell my Sim to take a shower and eat something. They'll then just stand there, wobble their heads and look around while doing nothing. Even deleting the queue and adding new interactions or pausing the game doesn't do anything. When I switch to another Sim the previous Sim usually cancels my queue and does their own thing. It's beyond frustrating.
    And just because I know the question will pop up - Yes, I tried it multiple times with no mods, new installation, different packs, different patches. It's always the same.
  • Options
    are you using mods

I am not using mods. I have never used mods. EVER. Not in Sims 2, Sims 3, or Sims 4. I use only what Maxis/EA puts out... for 2 and 3, via disk. For this game, via the lovely Origin store that we all love so much.

• Options
    And just because I know the question will pop up - Yes, I tried it multiple times with no mods, new installation, different packs, different patches. It's always the same.

Yup this. I've repaired the game. As for fresh installs... I went to visit my mother a couple weeks ago and fresh-installed it on a laptop... slightly older but still way above spec (24 GB Ram, nVidia 980M vid card, etc.). SAME THING happened.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member

Yup this. I've repaired the game. As for fresh installs... I went to visit my mother a couple weeks ago and fresh-installed it on a laptop... slightly older but still way above spec (24 GB Ram, nVidia 980M vid card, etc.). SAME THING happened.

My testing just confirms this is indeed an engine issue and has nothing to do with specs. They really should discontinue the sims 4 because the game can't even handle its own simulation and more packs make it worse and more obvious.
  • Options
    Yes, you would think the Sims being able to go through their action queue correctly, and also correctly prioritizing completion of player-given orders over their own desires/whims would be basic functioning of a Sims game. I mean, I can see when the Sim is very angry or very sad, maybe not completing actions due to mood. But when "Happy," which they are most of the time... this should not be an issue.
  • Options
    OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    It still baffles me how something that worked so well in prior editions is such a bloody mess in this one. On the assumption that the actual techie types are at least as smart as we are, it seems that either someone in management was incredibly stupid in choosing the game engine or that EA is deliberately giving us the 'green weenie'.