Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the game too soft for you?

1234568...Next

Comments

• Elegantblkchina1Elegantblkchina1 Posts: 103 Member
    YES!
    FKM100 wrote: »
    FKM100 wrote: »
    My vote is a "no", but with some reservations. I don't want to see more death and destruction in the game. I am actually quite protective of my sims. But I do wish the game did not have to be so prissy and PC and that there was more scope to create really weird and/or evil characters. Basically, all the "bad" traits are very wishy washy.

@FKM100 Agreed. I think the game could use a little lighthearted evil content that may create a little chaos, but we can laugh at. Kind of like a burglar: It creates mayhem, but it can be laughed at. How about Mrs Crumplebottom? That was hilarious!

Mrs Crumplebottom is a perfect example of the type of thing I miss. I actually recreated her in my game, and the game objected to her name! The same happened with the Hick family :/

OMG! Mrs. Crumplebottom was the worst and I loved it! My Sims getting hit over the head with her purse (or was it a cane??) was the funniest. Her judgy eyes peering at your Sim over her glasses. This is a perfect example of the individual personalities I miss in the game.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    YES!
    Danger%20and%20Drama.png
    I am still hoping for that Drama and Danger game pack.
    #DramaAndDanger
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    YES!
    CK213 wrote: »
    Danger%20and%20Drama.png
    I am still hoping for that Drama and Danger game pack.
    #DramaAndDanger

YES!! Me too.
  • GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    YES!
    Way back in the sims 2 when I had my first simbaby I hired a babysitter when the parents had to go to work. When they came back the babysitter left and took the baby with her. I had the parents call the police and when they showed up they gave them a 200 simmolean fine for wasting their time. LOL. I sat their speechless thinking 'what the ****' I searched for ways of getting the baby back but it was gone and stayed gone. It was a bug of course and when it happened I felled really upset. But they had a new baby and life went on. Didn't hire a babysitter anymore though.
    Now I remember it fondly. Just like my very first sim dropping dead after a double shift at the hospital after she had a promotion. At that time not a pleasant surprise , now it makes me laugh.
    In the end these are the things I remember best

And apart from that I would really like my evil sims to be evil. maybe it is my lack of imagination but i just don't seem to be able to get there in the sims 4. No other sim ever wants to shiver when my evil dude walks in the room, such a pity.
  • CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    I'm not sure yet.
    I probably fall under the "softie" player title but this game does lack series life challenges that makes it fun. I don't really set out to kill sims and all that but it'd be nice to have a sim overcome some troubles in their life.

Even making money in this game is super easy so there isn't even a financial burden.
  • sazzieJsazzieJ Posts: 150 Member
    YES!
    anyone here every played sims medieval? i love it and still occasionally play as it presents me with challenges and goals for gameplay, which in turn unlock clothes or buy/build items, that sims 4 just doesnt have

if we could have that level of challenge in sims 4 it would be great.
  • grotesqu3grotesqu3 Posts: 3 New Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I was going to vote “yes,” for more consequential actions but after seeing someone who said they would like to torture/abuse sims I am too disgusted to associate myself with that side of the coin! That’s just awful.

Besides, I am already torn by my sims dying from old age!! lol. I care about my sims like they’re my family. I don’t want their dogs or cats to die either.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I do not torture my sims, but I have played storylines where sims tortured and abused other sims. Other times I take the game just as it is without feeling uncomfortable about the lightheartedness.

I agree the game could use more sandbox elements, though.
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I voted no, but that's only because I view the game, despite it being a life simulator, as a way to escape actual life problems and have some fun. The truth is though, having death in the game in the first place, raises the bar. If a sim can die, does it really matter how they die? So I wouldn't complain if they made it more realistic, though I personally wouldn't ask for it. So, my vote is simply, "not really", instead of "no, absolutely not". There needs to be a "meh" option, for those who don't really care, to go along with the "not sure yet" people.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    YES!
    sazzieJ wrote: »
    anyone here every played sims medieval? i love it and still occasionally play as it presents me with challenges and goals for gameplay, which in turn unlock clothes or buy/build items, that sims 4 just doesnt have

I have to object there as far as I am concerned... For me it was a disappointment they made Medieval so scripted and purely based on assignments. I missed the sandbox and the freedom. What it did right was adding ‘fatal flaw’ to their personality.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • strf85strf85 Posts: 20 Member
    I'm not sure yet.
    I'm really not sure. For me it's a little bit dependent on what kind of save i'm playing. I do have several mods that turns it darker, but sometimes I really enjoy the innocence of it all.

I would say there's a few things I really want, and one is that they don't forget easily. Like if someone beat them up as a kid, they remember it and the person who did it must work for the relationship to change. Same goes for cheating, or cheating parents. I accept that when "sim a" cheat on and divorce "sim b", "sim c" can swoop in and make it all better. But "sim b" should never like "sim a" unless they work hard on it.

I don't dig aliens or vampires, but if a sim gets abducted/bitten they should fear aliens/vampires forever. This can depends on what traits they have, but still..it would make a difference.

I also want it to be very hard to earn a promotion. Maybe not 10 levels, but like 4-5. Very few people I know has ever been promoted, so I find it a bit plum that a sim could get 2-3 a week if they only work hard enough.

I would want them to add a little bit rougher neighborhoods, like yah, hoods. "The projects" sort of. Dead trees, yellow grass and graffiti all over everything. I would love it! (But not filled with the stereotypical choice of sims, okay.. Just nah! No stereotyping, everyone can be poor and unlucky).

And finally (I think) I want them to struggle a bit more financially. I want there to be an option between buying a house and renting one. Not everyone can or want to move to the city. Maybe it's to far from Willow Creek and far too noisy. But not many 18-19 year olds buy a house right of the bat. Most of them rent, or nah? Maybe add the unplayable (unless marriage) roommate also.

So yeah, generally want realism, memories, stronger emotions, realistic employment/financial situations and diversity in living arrangements. But I don't need murders, adult themes and stuff like that as regular parts of the game, no. I can use mods for that, or play other games.
  • mock68mock68 Posts: 696 Member
    YES!
    I voted yes as I would like to see more adult themes.
    Maybe we could have an over 18 expansion pack so children and people can continue the normal game and people who want a bit more grittiness in their game could have that. More traits could be introduced to go with the themes, Gold digger, black widow, devious, sly etc.

• Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    YES!
    A Drama and Danger game pack would rock my socks!
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    YES!
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

I have to object there as far as I am concerned... For me it was a disappointment they made Medieval so scripted and purely based on assignments. I missed the sandbox and the freedom. What it did right was adding ‘fatal flaw’ to their personality.

completely fair enough. i liked the challenge of the quests, in that there is pressure to progress and if i delay too much my results suffer. i liked in medieval that each job had its challenges and for me it took a lonnnnnng time to work out how to use the trader. i like that its hard to maintain relations with neighboring countries and trying different quests with different classes to try and unlock all the achievements

i like that the pop ups with the choices could have serious consequences like illness or injury but it didnt outright kill the sim and i agree that the fatal flaw was quite clever. itd be nice if the 'negative' sims 4 traits had that kind of impact

i didnt however like the fact there was no aging or more expansive family ties and similar things from classic sims

overtly large amounts of scripting is definitely not what im wanting but compared to medieval and sims 3, the sims 4 is sorely lacking in excitement, for me at least. everyday feels the same: wake up > school/work > 'the same 4 sim activites (treadmill, games, chess, reading two pages of a book to put it down for the other 3) > sleep > repeat.

the jungle adventure is the most exciting thing ive found but how long u can go depends on how much leave the sims have accrued which while a true representation of real life its kinda frustrating if i want my sims to practically live there long term for excitement.

i think its interesting that there are so many ideas on how to spice the game up and am looking forward to seeing whats done with it - as boring as it is ill keep playing tho haha
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!

completely fair enough. i liked the challenge of the quests, in that there is pressure to progress and if i delay too much my results suffer. i liked in medieval that each job had its challenges and for me it took a lonnnnnng time to work out how to use the trader. i like that its hard to maintain relations with neighboring countries and trying different quests with different classes to try and unlock all the achievements

i like that the pop ups with the choices could have serious consequences like illness or injury but it didnt outright kill the sim and i agree that the fatal flaw was quite clever. itd be nice if the 'negative' sims 4 traits had that kind of impact

i didnt however like the fact there was no aging or more expansive family ties and similar things from classic sims

overtly large amounts of scripting is definitely not what im wanting but compared to medieval and sims 3, the sims 4 is sorely lacking in excitement, for me at least. everyday feels the same: wake up > school/work > 'the same 4 sim activites (treadmill, games, chess, reading two pages of a book to put it down for the other 3) > sleep > repeat.

the jungle adventure is the most exciting thing ive found but how long u can go depends on how much leave the sims have accrued which while a true representation of real life its kinda frustrating if i want my sims to practically live there long term for excitement.

i think its interesting that there are so many ideas on how to spice the game up and am looking forward to seeing whats done with it - as boring as it is ill keep playing tho haha
    I did enjoy Medieval for quite a while by the way, but at one point it started to become repetitive for me and it never replaced Sims 3 for me (because it felt like a completely different game; I’d have loved a medieval pack for Sims 3 with a world without cars and no cellphones). I’m not sure why Sims 4 becomes boring for me quickly, that’s a hard one for me to nail tbh. JA bored me after three hours of playing (and having fun) while WA (the comparable pack of Sims 3 that for many people was too RPG as well) is entertaining - understatement - for me to this very day. At the moment I am enjoying the TS4 vampires. So far they are the first feature that really keeps me occupied and interested.
    5JZ57S6.png
    YES!

I did enjoy Medieval for quite a while by the way, but at one point it started to become repetitive for me and it never replaced Sims 3 for me (because it felt like a completely different game; I’d have loved a medieval pack for Sims 3 with a world without cars and no cellphones). I’m not sure why Sims 4 becomes boring for me quickly, that’s a hard one for me to nail tbh. JA bored me after three hours of playing (and having fun) while WA (the comparable pack of Sims 3 that for many people was too RPG as well) is entertaining - understatement - for me to this very day. At the moment I am enjoying the TS4 vampires. So far they are the first feature that really keeps me occupied and interested.

a medieval pack sounds awesome! i adore sims 3 WA. the 3 locations each present a variety of different challenges which is very entertaining for me.

sims 4 vampires are definitely a good challenge. i hope for a sims 4 supernatural pack as fairies are a fave of mine due to the extended but not immortal lives - i can learn all the skills, max several jobs etc etc - so i can have fun with them. i had a vampire i quite enjoyed but thats in a save file from before the pets and seasons ep with my sims having way too much money but maybe ill go back haha
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    YES!
    Definitely. Hell, one of the biggest criticisms about TS4 is that it's simply too juvenile in tone compared to the previous instalments and I seriously do not buy into the idea that the ESRB was involved with it.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member
    YES!
    MMX wrote: »
    Definitely. Hell, one of the biggest criticisms about TS4 is that it's simply too juvenile in tone compared to the previous instalments and I seriously do not buy into the idea that the ESRB was involved with it.

I agree with you. If I were to point a finger, so to speak, I would suggest it's the overly politically correct world we now find ourselves in. I'm not a 'snowflake' that needs a 'safe space' hot cocoa and a puppy to get over something bad that happens. Just sayin'.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • faeriegothfaeriegoth Posts: 1 New Member
    YES!
    I honestly don't even like playing the game cruelly, I never really did the thing people always talk about where you kill all your sims etc, I play legacies and let my sims grow old and have families. But the sims 4 makes the world the sims are in so unbelievably happy and dream-like that it gets boring so quickly. Even if you give sims the really negative traits like Evil, they get along fine in the world. There's no nuance or struggle anywhere. Anyone can do anything. Great. Where's the fun in that? I've loved the sims since I was a child and it honestly makes me sad when I think about how much the sims 4 lacks. I still play it often, and I do enjoy it, but only to a degree. Real peoples lives aren't all rainbows and butterflies, so why are sims???? It's a simulation game of people after all?????? I'm honestly sick of it, the developers don't give a heck about long standing fans of the sims at all and it's so frustrating. I want my sims to struggle! I'm not asking for famines and volcano eruptions!!!! But if my sims don't struggle their lives don't feel satisfying or worth doing because they're all the same!! aaaaAAAAH
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    YES!
    mock68 wrote: »
    I voted yes as I would like to see more adult themes.
    Maybe we could have an over 18 expansion pack so children and people can continue the normal game and people who want a bit more grittiness in their game could have that.
    As much as I'd like that to be an option, I don't see it happening. And it doesn't need to happen, all that's really needed is for sims to react like they should when certain things happen in game.

More traits could be introduced to go with the themes, Gold digger, black widow, devious, sly etc.
    They're things that could be added anyway.

faeriegoth wrote: »
    But the sims 4 makes the world the sims are in so unbelievably happy and dream-like that it gets boring so quickly.
    It's stepford wives... it's kinda creepy

Even if you give sims the really negative traits like Evil, they get along fine in the world. There's no nuance or struggle anywhere. Anyone can do anything. Great. Where's the fun in that?
    Yep, it's lacking the grudges that TS2 did so well

I'm not asking for famines and volcano eruptions!!!! But if my sims don't struggle their lives don't feel satisfying or worth doing because they're all the same!! aaaaAAAAH
    I just want them to remember when they dislike someone. I want them to react more when someone dies, or cheats on them.
    Less happy air heads, more I remember what you did to me last summer.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    YES!
    I was going to go with No or Meh, but then I remembered death by satellite. I remember being able to rig deaths more successfully (for dramatic purposes, of course); I want to do this again, without mods - cheats, yes, fine, but mods I don't want more of as my computer is a potato.
  • Leo2009SSALeo2009SSA Posts: 150 Member
    YES!
    I would like to open this subject and see different opinions on this matter...

I agree with you to some extent. Let me explain it:
    I like the game to be as close to reality as possible, so drama and catastrophe should have a play in it. In the other hand The Sims game (and its franchise) has made a point - a game without murder, without guns, that is a huge success. The best selling game to that date! - So, although I'm for realism, I believe in order to preserve the franchise "soul", murder and guns and other violent things should never be included in the game.

I believe The Sims 4 has moved one step forward adding more realism to the game when they included one of the ills of modern society: Teen pregnancy. But it moved a few steps back removing the realism of almost all romantic interactions. They all seem to be downgraded versions of The Sims 2 romantic interactions. (I wouldn't like to see a change in the way they change clothes, or woohoo, I like the fantasy element too!)

Summarizing, except for drugs, guns, and murder, there is room for bad things in The Sims 4, and there is room for more realism in some good things as well!
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm not sure yet.
    Honestly I'm kind of a softie, so I don't really.. have a strong opinion on this??

In TS2, even if I only played it for a little bit (got it for free), things would happen. Sims would die on accident. Heck, I attempted to play a vampire there once, who immediately died, because I was a fool and turned him with the portrait mod during daytime and didn't notice how his needs decayed and the next thing I knew he was a pile of ash. One of the Curious brothers died by starvation somehow, and he's just terrifying as a ghost. And sure, accidental tragedies make the game interesting. Not much will go entirely according to plan, which is absolutely part of what makes it fun.

Meanwhile, Sims 4 went in the complete opposite direction. The tagline is you rule, and it seems to be taken rather literally. Everything usually goes fine, there are no real disasters or bad stuff happening that gets in the way of your plans.
    Also, the ghosts are too friendly.

The constant Happy mood is creepy, I'll say that at least. Where's a mod to fix the emotion system?

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • KingoKingo Posts: 30 Member
    I don't like disasters, but I wish The Sims 4 wasn't so happy/bright all the time. Sims are smiling waaaaaay too much and the whole scenery is way too cheerful.

The thing that makes The Sims 2 so great is that there were certain sims that were really annoying and mean and that made it more fun to pick a fight or little things like that.
    In The Sims 4 mean sims are mean for one interaction and after that they just forget what just happened and everything is back to being nice again and I don't like that.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    YES!
    I like telling stories through my sims and it's hard when everyone lives are perfect. I want there to be drama and death. the game is boring after a while and the only drama that happens is when I make it happen. I want diseases, death, sadness. Not all the time but enough that my sims lives feel real and not some happy happy cartoon. There can't be happiness without some sadness.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24