Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighbourhood Talk: Season 2! 31/Jan/21

Comments

• candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    @kirivian Rosa doesn't know that he's lying or hiding things, she only senses that something is wrong. Which is kinda obvious xD But so far no truth has been uncovered.

Regret or not, there's no way Mae can make things undone that happened. Only if she would get into a similar difficult situation, it would show if she has grown.

Your insight on Linda is on point, btw! I'm fascinated to see that you see her out of our typical perception of romance. She never was truly in love herself, being more a thinker than a sensitive person, so her views on love and betrayal are limited and rather rational. She might need some serious heart break :D

Alejandro's divorce did throw him into cold waters, that's for sure! But will he change...?
    How did your opinion on Linda change? Please share xD

@Maladi777 Surprise! :D I should probably have mentioned their ages more throughoutly the story. Sorry for that. I'll fix it in the next chapters.

@simscognito You did read! :D Who's gonna be shot? Next update will show it :D
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    @kirivian Rosa doesn't know that he's lying or hiding things, she only senses that something is wrong. Which is kinda obvious xD But so far no truth has been uncovered.

Regret or not, there's no way Mae can make things undone that happened. Only if she would get into a similar difficult situation, it would show if she has grown.

Your insight on Linda is on point, btw! I'm fascinated to see that you see her out of our typical perception of romance. She never was truly in love herself, being more a thinker than a sensitive person, so her views on love and betrayal are limited and rather rational. She might need some serious heart break :D

Alejandro's divorce did throw him into cold waters, that's for sure! But will he change...?
    How did your opinion on Linda change? Please share xD

@Maladi777 Surprise! :D I should probably have mentioned their ages more throughoutly the story. Sorry for that. I'll fix it in the next chapters.

@simscognito You did read! :D Who's gonna be shot? Next update will show it :D

@candycottonchu of course I read it. I wouldn't want to miss an update. :joy:
  • TheYayToastTheYayToast Posts: 1,466 Member
    @candycottonchu Hiya. I don't have an analysis or anything, but I wanted to tell ya I binge read all of season one this weekend and it was great. I really enjoyed it. I'll read the retrospective over the next few days since I'm back at work! ❤️
    @candycottonchu Hiya. I don't have an analysis or anything, but I wanted to tell ya I binge read all of season one this weekend and it was great. I really enjoyed it. I'll read the retrospective over the next few days since I'm back at work! ❤️

Hi @TheYayToast ! Glad to see you here! :smiley:

@simscognito Hey Cog! ❤️ *hugs*
    @TheYayToast omg! I'm so glad you're here :D
    Thanks for letting me know that you read and enjoyed it! Any feedback, no matter how small, is really motivating to keep this going c:

I posted your picture of Paris on my site. hope that's okay with you. Sorry @candycottonchu for hijacking your thread like that.
  • kiriviankirivian Posts: 1,074 Member
    @candycottonchu Well Rosa doesn't 'know' like as in she can't prove it in a court of law, but when you are that close to someone every day then the woohoo stops, and then the shadiness about details from the past come into play. She at least 'knew' he wasn't telling her everything, which in a situation like that is pretty deceitful if not an outright lie.

Hmm.. Linda.. complicated. I re-read some chapters about her. I was hoping that her relationship with Frank would allow her to grow emotionally, but now I am not so sure she is capable of this growth. She seemed to be showing interest where she didn't really seem to before, but after re-reading that I think I am wrong. I don't think she has made the connection I was looking for. At least not yet. So my original opinion was that I believed Linda capable of being won over to romance by the right lover, but now I am of an opinion that she may not be able to. You see when she parts with Frank at the bar the morning after her breakup with Brian, he leaves the door open for her to find him, but her concern still seems to be on niceties - nothing really personal.

""Uhm..and thank you for your company", she added politely remembering her good manners"

He responds by saying "My pleasure", but she is looking for mockery in his tone. She doesn't seem to have made a connection with him in this overnight encounter. The more I read it, the more it feels like he made the connection, but she did not. Maybe she did though, the first time I read it, I was convinced (even excited about it), but now not so sure.
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    @TheYayToast omg! I'm so glad you're here :D
    Thanks for letting me know that you read and enjoyed it! Any feedback, no matter how small, is really motivating to keep this going c:

@candycottonchu I am. It's neat how you've created these characters that are intertwined while still having completely separate lives.

As far as thinking on it, I guess I gotta agree with everyone's idea on Sofia. Unfortunately, she's probably going to regret her decision. I was in her shoes. I feel for an older guy (only about a little less than three years though!) and left home the night I graduated from high school. The relationship lasted a little less than a year after we moved in together. Lucky for me, my Dad was there for me. Drove up and moved me back home the day I told him that I was single and unemployed. (Heh. I lost my job with in a month of the breakup.)

I can't say Sofia will be quite so lucky, cause somehow I can't see Alejandro coming to pick up her broken pieces. Maybe Rita would.

I posted your picture of Paris on my site. hope that's okay with you. Sorry @candycottonchu for hijacking your thread like that.

@simscognito That's cool by me. Maybe I'll draw ya something else sometime. Always interesting drawing other people's characters.
    kirivian wrote: »

Hmm.. Linda.. complicated.
    I re-read some chapters about her. I was hoping that her relationship with Frank would allow her to grow emotionally, but now I am not so sure she is capable of this growth. She seemed to be showing interest where she didn't really seem to before, but after re-reading that I think I am wrong. I don't think she has made the connection I was looking for. At least not yet. So my original opinion was that I believed Linda capable of being won over to romance by the right lover, but now I am of an opinion that she may not be able to. You see when she parts with Frank at the bar the morning after her breakup with Brian, he leaves the door open for her to find him, but her concern still seems to be on niceties - nothing really personal.

""Uhm..and thank you for your company", she added politely remembering her good manners"

He responds by saying "My pleasure", but she is looking for mockery in his tone. She doesn't seem to have made a connection with him in this overnight encounter. The more I read it, the more it feels like he made the connection, but she did not. Maybe she did though, the first time I read it, I was convinced (even excited about it), but now not so sure.

@kirivian @candycottonchu
    Tossed your paragraph into spoilers just to prevent the stretch of the post. I dunno.

I guess you've got something there about Linda. Though I kind of just see her as possibly autistic. Aspergers to be exact. She is slightly awkward in social interactions and doesn't get social cues as well she should. Romantic relationships are particularly tough for Aspies. People with aspergers also have the tendency to be hyper focused on a particular thing or hobby. In Linda's case: Her plants and particular scientific field of study.
    edited August 2018

Hmm.. Linda.. complicated.
    I re-read some chapters about her. I was hoping that her relationship with Frank would allow her to grow emotionally, but now I am not so sure she is capable of this growth. She seemed to be showing interest where she didn't really seem to before, but after re-reading that I think I am wrong. I don't think she has made the connection I was looking for. At least not yet. So my original opinion was that I believed Linda capable of being won over to romance by the right lover, but now I am of an opinion that she may not be able to. You see when she parts with Frank at the bar the morning after her breakup with Brian, he leaves the door open for her to find him, but her concern still seems to be on niceties - nothing really personal.

@kirivian @candycottonchu
    Tossed your paragraph into spoilers just to prevent the stretch of the post. I dunno.

I guess you've got something there about Linda. Though I kind of just see her as possibly autistic. Aspergers to be exact. She is slightly awkward in social interactions and doesn't get social cues as well she should. Romantic relationships are particularly tough for Aspies. People with aspergers also have the tendency to be hyper focused on a particular thing or hobby. In Linda's case: Her plants and particular scientific field of study.

Aspergers? Maybe. I dunno, I kinda see her as more absent minded and focussed if anything. I think the reason why she's missing some social cues is becuase she's so focussed on whatever is going on internally which isn't always an Aspergers symptom. It's a personality type as well.
    @TheYayToast I have to agree with @simscognito on this one. I am very well acquainted with a number of folk who have Asperger's and most of them are socially dysfunctional on more than just a romantic level. Linda appears to be otherwise pretty normal, just a bit self-absorbed and hyper-focused on specific interests. There is a disconnect with Asperger's patients that I do not see with Linda, but the easiest thing might be to ask the source.

@candycottonchu is Linda autistic?
    "You ask me if there'll come a time when I grow tired of you...Never, my love..." -The Association (1967)
    @simscognito @kirivian You both make valid points.

I didn't say her awkwardness is strictly resigned to her romantic relationships though. Just more pronounced there.

I like her a lot though. I think she's adorable. Her cute plant loving self. Haha.
    @kirivian You are absolutely right about Rosa. There was no way she could feel "safe" anymore.

As for Linda, no, she didn't make a connection. She needs more than just a nice conversation to feel that some feelings surpassing plain niceties might have happened.

@TheYayToast I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience like this. And you were lucky to have your dad. Sofia might end up in trouble, because of her fixation, but they might have a chance if they work on it. Paolo cares for her, after all.

@TheYayToast @simscognito @kirivian No, Linda doesn't have Asperger's. She's quite capable of understanding and reading people's faces and emotions, but she's not able to make the right conclusions, be it because of lack of experience, or being very introvert. She tries to figure them out with plain logic, but logic doesn't apply to emotions. It's more like she has problems finding the "hidden" messages through the literal speech, which confuses her and gives her the feeling of being lost.
    @kirivian You are absolutely right about Rosa. There was no way she could feel "safe" anymore.

As for Linda, no, she didn't make a connection. She needs more than just a nice conversation to feel that some feelings surpassing plain niceties might have happened.

@TheYayToast I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience like this. And you were lucky to have your dad. Sofia might end up in trouble, because of her fixation, but they might have a chance if they work on it. Paolo cares for her, after all.

@TheYayToast @simscognito @kirivian No, Linda doesn't have Asperger's. She's quite capable of understanding and reading people's faces and emotions, but she's not able to make the right conclusions, be it because of lack of experience, or being very introvert. She tries to figure them out with plain logic, but logic doesn't apply to emotions. It's more like she has problems finding the "hidden" messages through the literal speech, which confuses her and gives her the feeling of being lost.

I don't know if it's an exclusively introvert thing. Sometimes introverts are better at reading people and making conclusions than most extroverts. It could be however that she's been selective in what she's chosen to develop, so social skills and people feel less important to her than her work.
    @simscognito Maybe a defense mechanism. She lost a lot of people that she loved at a critical time in her emotional development. She may void out intimacy because It's just too dangerous - she can't lose anyone else or she might be lost herself. I am reminded of the Simon and Garfunkel song " I am a Rock, I am an Island.... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries." I don't know- probably reading too much into it, but there is danger there for her especially since Mae is so flighty. She can lose even her sister sometimes without anyone actually losing their life. If she opens herself up -is not hard to those feelings, doesn't isolate herself from them- she can get hurt again - she has a lot to lose by gaining that kind of intimacy. That kind of defense mechanism can be subconscious - she may build those walls with her work obsessions etc.. without even realizing what she is doing and why she is doing it.
    I am way overthinking this.
    @simscognito Maybe a defense mechanism. She lost a lot of people that she loved at a critical time in her emotional development. She may void out intimacy because It's just too dangerous - she can't lose anyone else or she might be lost herself. I am reminded of the Simon and Garfunkel song " I am a Rock, I am an Island.... and a rock feels no pain and an island never cries." I don't know- probably reading too much into it, but there is danger there for her especially since Mae is so flighty. She can lose even her sister sometimes without anyone actually losing their life. If she opens herself up -is not hard to those feelings, doesn't isolate herself from them- she can get hurt again - she has a lot to lose by gaining that kind of intimacy. That kind of defense mechanism can be subconscious - she may build those walls with her work obsessions etc.. without even realizing what she is doing and why she is doing it.

@kirivian yeah you maybe right there.
    @candycottonchu I have been very worried about Mariella, and thinking of her. I cannot sleep, and so I wrote her a poem. If you would like I will share it. Let me know.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @candycottonchu I have been very worried about Mariella, and thinking of her. I cannot sleep, and so I wrote her a poem. If you would like I will share it. Let me know.
    I would definitely love to read it.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    @Maladi777 You don't think Candy would mind if I posted it here? It's a first draft.
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    @Maladi777 You don't think Candy would mind if I posted it here? It's a first draft.
    I think it will make her happy. ;)
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    @Maladi777 TY. Its a villanelle, first draft, untitled. tentative title I'm thinking either for Mariella or Softer Roads.
    However bleak the path you tread,
    Be led by sense not passion wild.
    I promise softer roads ahead,

though faced by hordes of devils dread.
    Without succor from voices mild,
    however hard the path you tread

whatever vows now shattered said,
    "I'll guide you through the night, my child
    I promise softer roads ahead.".

Too soon ideals fair ripped and shred
    from trembling heart by love beguiled
    however bleak the path you tread

young dreams once lively scattered dead,
    and open hearts of faith reviled.
    I promise softer roads ahead

if by head and not by heart you're led.
    And if by patience be your actions styled
    I promise softer roads ahead.

@kirivian sorry for my late reply! I just came home a little while ago.
    Your theory about Linda sounds interesting. However, if it is a defense mechanism (and she did lose both her parents at quite a young age), it is definitely unconcious, as she never actively pushes anyone away.
    But she'll never really lose Mae. Her sister, despite being flighty, is extremely loyal to her, as vice versa. To a point one could argue they're enabling each other.

I'm sorry to hear you lost sleep over poor Marie xD You may post here whatever you like. I'd love to read what you write!

That btw. applies to everyone. If it doesn't escalate to drift completely away from the main topic for pages, I don't mind c:
    @Maladi777 TY. Its a villanelle, first draft, untitled. tentative title I'm thinking either for Mariella or Softer Roads.
    However bleak the path you tread,
    Be led by sense not passion wild.
    I promise softer roads ahead,

though faced by hordes of devils dread.
    Without succor from voices mild,
    however hard the path you tread

whatever vows now shattered said,
    "I'll guide you through the night, my child
    I promise softer roads ahead.".

Too soon ideals fair ripped and shred
    from trembling heart by love beguiled

young dreams once lively scattered dead,
    and open hearts of faith reviled.
    I promise softer roads ahead

if by head and not by heart you're led.
    And if by patience be your actions styled
    I promise softer roads ahead.

I had to google villanelle first xD
    And then I read it a few times. I love it. It's really beautiful, and so full of hope.
    Funny, this advice could also be given to Franco :D
    Too bad, both, Franco and Mariella are rather passionate than rational...