Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's up with these prices?

GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
Right, so personally I have every pack I want, and I've had them for some time. At about 6000 hours, I've easily gotten my mileage out of them.
But now I want to buy them again for a streamer friend, and I was wondering if anyone can tell me when they're typically on sale. I want to get a good deal on them because the packs are still going for €40 each. The fact that they're still full price is really putting me off from TS3 as a whole. I know I paid a pretty penny for it too, back in the day, but TS3 is a legacy title now. It shouldn't be this plumming expensive.

He uses Steam; I use Origin. I assume Steam will have some good deals during its yearly summer sale? I don't think I want to wait that long. I'd use one of those resellers but I don't want to risk getting any 🐸🐸🐸🐸 because of scummy business practices. I also don't know if they do gifts.
Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
(oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2018
    The best place to buy TS3 and it's packs is on Steam. You can get EP's for the price of a SP with easy just wait on a sale. As far as Origin goes, TS3 has never been on sale, at least not since TS4 came out.

And yes, you can gift on steam.

But if you buy an EA product through Steam you can use that steam's game code on Origin and it'll work, so you get the pack on both platforms. I'm currently waiting on a steam sale myself so I can finally get Outdoor Living Stuff and Master Suite for TS3, after all these years still haven't gotten them.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited August 2018
    Steam has had Sims 3 titles on sale several times a year for a while, usually all of the packs at once, but this last time, they only put the base game on sale (very cheap though for around $3 [US dollar - sorry, all I know] I think). For the recent big summer sale, things were slightly more expensive than for past sales but still a good deal (more in the range of ~ $7 per pack instead of $5). The point here being that I'm not sure if they're changing how they offer it, but there have been some really good deals on Steam. Even the higher prices this summer were still good compared to anything I see on Origin. I'd keep an eye on it.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • megaluci00megaluci00 Posts: 32 Member
    Sorry I change a little bit the subject... But I'm thinking about switching to Steam so that I can share games with my brother because with Origin that is not possible; but I'm looking for The Sims 4 and it seems it isn't available in Steam... Do you know something about this?
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    megaluci00 wrote: »
    Sorry I change a little bit the subject... But I'm thinking about switching to Steam so that I can share games with my brother because with Origin that is not possible; but I'm looking for The Sims 4 and it seems it isn't available in Steam... Do you know something about this?

TS4 is not available on steam period. Most recent EA games are Origin exclusive especially recent ones.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    I honestly wish I could switch my own TS3 keys to Steam, but they've been tied to my EA account for so long....I'm not nearly rich enough to buy the whole thing again just for some minor benefits, not even on sale.
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2018
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

TS4 is not available on steam period. Most recent EA games are Origin exclusive especially recent ones.

And could also be a reason why TS4 isn't likely selling as well on Origin compared to retail places like Steam. TS3 has trended on the top 100 list (was around rank #89 or so?) as of yesterday because of Steam promotional sales.

Especially now that Steam has again made the "core" EPs & base game all available i.e. with Pets, Gen & Seasons for one tidy price of $49.50:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/47890/The_Sims_3/

These 3 EPs were the key, fundamental EPs that should've came with the base game in 2009. But the technolgy to release them and/or production constraints made this unfeasible possibility I guess.

Until EA decides to synch with market reality, I don't see how they're competitively selling any TS4 DLC the way Steam has with TS3. Especially if the technical issues with the Origin Launcher still persist.
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited August 2018
    That $49,50 bundle of theirs is priced at €92,96 here. That's €50 more than I should be paying and €70 more than I'll ever pay for a bunch of games I already personally own. I mean I'm sorry, it's well-known that I love TS3 to bits, it's a great game and it's been worth every penny for me, but this is just plumming ridiculous.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    You missed this year's summer sale but there will be more sales. Just keep an eye out. Follow Steam on social media as they probably announce sales. Last sale they changed things up but in the past we've seen 75% for base game and packs.

Instead of taking advantage of the past Steam sales, I went the physical route and collected disk copies to replace my digital Origin collection. I owned some of them already but it wasn't cheap. (You can do this with pre-2012 base game + disk collection + super patch 1.67) I don't regret it one bit. Nothing against steam, I just prefer to be free of all digital distribution platforms when possible.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    You missed this year's summer sale but there will be more sales. Just keep an eye out. Follow Steam on social media as they probably announce sales. Last sale they changed things up but in the past we've seen 75% for base game and packs.

Instead of taking advantage of the past Steam sales, I went the physical route and collected disk copies to replace my digital Origin collection. I owned some of them already but it wasn't cheap. (You can do this with pre-2012 base game + disk collection + super patch 1.67) I don't regret it one bit. Nothing against steam, I just prefer to be free of all digital distribution platforms when possible.

I couldn't agree more with you, I think the same. I only owned Sims 3 EP, and not all of them, and now I'm thinking about completing my collection with the rest of them... But it's such a hard challenge as it is very rare to find them in stores, so I'm looking through the second-hand market. How did you managed to find them all?
    edited August 2018
    SimplyJen wrote: »

QFT.

Thank you for reminding simmers about this reality check SimplyJen. For making simmers aware of the industry push towards 100% online games. Lots of simmers (especially younger ones) don't realize EA made a fundamental change in how they would release their single player Sims (and other) franchise titles in the future. And yes, this was when they changed their policy to pressure simmers to exclusively download TS3 & other DLC from Origin in 2012. Force a mandatory online requirement. Which not only removed player choice but compromised simmer's ability to use 3rd party mods in their game as well. :s

Too many simmers (and gamers in general) are blinded by the convenience of digital DLC. Until they lose their internet or IP access. Or the software dev/publisher retires the servers that were dedicated to their game for whatever reason (franchise obsolete, dev bankruptcy etc, a hardware retirement like Micrsoft GFWL etc etc.). At which point, the digital owning gamer suddenly realizes they're permanently cut off from ever playing their favorite title again....

But with hard DVD retail copies, it doesn't matter if you're vacationing on the moon, the top of the Himalayas, the bottom of the Marianas Trench, or the center of the earth. Unlike digital/cloud server games, hard copies of games will NEVER have this problem. Especially where your official DLC modded content is concerned (if stored on your HD). You'll ALWAYS have access to your sims game :D

edit: and your post explains the trending phenomenon of why our 9 year old Sims 3 franchise making Steam's top 100 all of last week! LMAO
    But then again, Steam did have an excellent bundle were they offered the base game + all the fundamental DLCs which should've been in the base game i.e. Seasons, Gen & Pets
    edited August 2018
    It's a new generation built on Digital content. I can understand becoming more eco friendly with no longer printing but that's definitely not the reason why the change was made. Without really getting into it, I refuse to give up my optical drive and disk copies. :D

@megaluci00 Depends on where you are located. I live in the US. Some stores still carry physical copies but in my experience they didn't have the packs I needed. I suggest calling stores ahead of time to see what they have. I purchased my missing physical copy packs through Amazon & eBay. I chose to play it safe and buy new sealed copies. You can use used copies as long as the code is included, the disk is readable, and you patch to 1.67. Doesn't matter if it's registered already. Look for sellers with good feedback/reputation. If you buy from a second hand local shop, ask if they accept returns in case you can't use it for whatever reason.
    There's always the option to burn the digital content to a RW DVD as well using .iso etc
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    And yes, this was when they changed their policy to pressure simmers to exclusively download TS3 & other DLC from Origin in 2012. Force a mandatory online requirement. Which not only removed player choice but compromised simmer's ability to use 3rd party mods in their game as well.
    Potentially maybe, but mods are not sensitive to the type of installation. Core Mods (there are only 6 in popular usage for TS3) are sensitive to build and patch numbers, but if a mod works on a CD install, it will work the same on any of the others -- Origin, Steam, Mac.

Game utilities like EasyCASP, SaveCleaner, and 3booter might be a different story, but technically these are standalone programs and not mods.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @SimplyJen Hey you really have inspired me to go on and complete my Sims 3's collection! Already found World Adventures and Ambitions, on the way to acquire them. Didn't know that used codes could be registered, would this work if I'm in 1.69 patch?

Now I am looking for University Life; but I think I'll keep Into the Future and Supernatural out of my list for the moment as neither of them call my attention very much. By the Way, I'm from Spain.

Thanks!
    edited August 2018
    @megaluci00 I didn't mean used codes can be registered because they can't but they can be used to install the disk copy. I meant it doesn't matter if it's tied to an account/registered for patch level 1.67 and below. If you're on patch 1.69, it may require all packs to be registered to the same account. If you buy a used copy but that code is already tied to a different account, this may conflict with patch 1.69 because you can't register it to your account. Hope this makes sense. :D

Here's what I told someone else wanting to super patch 1.67 with all disk install to avoid Origin:
    All you need is the code and the CD. It does not matter what account it's registered to or if it's registered at all since patch 1.67 will not be connected to Origin. You don't even need to have Origin installed on patch .167 if this is the only EA game you play.

The code isn't just for registering to an account (that's optional), it's also used to install the game.
    Here is that thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16635013

As for buying in Spain... I wouldn't have a clue. :D Sorry!

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,919 Member
    @SimplyJen Hey you really have inspired me to go on and complete my Sims 3's collection! Already found World Adventures and Ambitions, on the way to acquire them. Didn't know that used codes could be registered, would this work if I'm in 1.69 patch?

Now I am looking for University Life; but I think I'll keep Into the Future and Supernatural out of my list for the moment as neither of them call my attention very much. By the Way, I'm from Spain.

Thanks!

Used codes can't be registered, but if you already own the digital copy you should be able to install from the used disk - but I don't know as I've never tried to do it. It is best to get sealed unused disks from authorised sellers though. Registering a code from an unauthorised seller can result in loss of the game if the seller never paid EA for it in the first place. If that has happened EA will cancel the game in Origin.
    edited August 2018
    I was under the impression megaluci was questioning about physical copies so that's why I mentioned used copies or buying from Amazon or eBay. I can only confirm patch 1.67 & below can use a registered or unregistered code to install by disk because being tied to an account is unrelated for patch 1.67 & below (a.k.a not apart of Origin). A sealed physical copy can be sold anywhere without risk. The only risk for a used physical copy is if the seller doesn't include the original code to install it with and/or the disk is not in readable condition. As for buying used copies on patch 1.69, the user may run into issues since I think Origin requires all packs registered to the same account. Unauthorised sellers for digital copies is a different story.

Post edited by SimplyJen on
    @Karritz @SimplyJen Thank you both for your help,

The problem is that here in Spain I think it's difficult to find brand new physical copies; because I have looked on some videogame stores and also through Amazon and eBay but they don't have them anymore, or if they do it's only the code what they are selling. I have only found some of the Stuff Packs, but what I am looking for are Expansions...