Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery being sorted by "Popular Now" by default is a problem

Comments

• NindessaNindessa Posts: 29 Member
    @FruUtter I'm not disagreeing with ANYTHING you said; you made several valid points. However, you've been a top creator for a while, yes? And I know I've seen Maxis favorite a few of your things.
    I'm not saying you don't deserve that; your creations are pretty amazing, imo. But, you kind of demonstrate what we're talking about, that this update benefits those who were popular before the update, and that many won't bother to switch the tabs to look for creations.

Before the update, though I didn't get many downloads, I did consistantly have about 5 within the first day of posting something. Now I'm lucky to get 2, and those are probably from followers. It IS causing harm to many who are "in the middle," i.e. not a complete nobody, but not getting enough downloads to even touch "Popular Now".

But, as you said, it could be that player's aren't used to the system. It could be that people just don't care to change tabs and look for something different. But, one thing's for sure, this system doesn't seem to be giving many small creators a chance.
    ~When life gives you lemons, make orange juice! :) ~
    Origin ID: Nindessa
    Please visit my Basegame Sims Showcase!
  • FruUtterFruUtter Posts: 128 Member
    @FruUtter I'm not disagreeing with ANYTHING you said; you made several valid points. However, you've been a top creator for a while, yes? And I know I've seen Maxis favorite a few of your things.
    I'm not saying you don't deserve that; your creations are pretty amazing, imo. But, you kind of demonstrate what we're talking about, that this update benefits those who were popular before the update, and that many won't bother to switch the tabs to look for creations.

Before the update, though I didn't get many downloads, I did consistantly have about 5 within the first day of posting something. Now I'm lucky to get 2, and those are probably from followers. It IS causing harm to many who are "in the middle," i.e. not a complete nobody, but not getting enough downloads to even touch "Popular Now".

But, as you said, it could be that player's aren't used to the system. It could be that people just don't care to change tabs and look for something different. But, one thing's for sure, this system doesn't seem to be giving many small creators a chance.[/quot

But, as you said, it could be that player's aren't used to the system. It could be that people just don't care to change tabs and look for something different. But, one thing's for sure, this system doesn't seem to be giving many small creators a chance.

Hi Nidessa!

I see what you are saying. And once again I wish to point out that the UI and also GUI has some significant changes which many players have not yet understood how to benefit from them. That is WHY players are getting too few DLs at the moment (if my theory is true that is).

Another aspect of this problem is the social one. My point is this, if one looks carefully at the example I uploaded with the two different girls and IF you READ the COMMENTS one will see that the two creations were NOT that popular aong my peers. In January 2018 I had 200 followers. I worked pretty hard (!) in order to come up to 949 date 2018-07-18. And if you look at the number of "hearts" I am getting for my creations it is suprisingly low - sometimes 0. And that could be explained by low social capital due to concurrence or simply because ppl do not like what I do.

When I reuploaded the same sims AFTER the patch the picture suddenly changed. Those sims are NOT from the old system they started from 0. So they had just as low chances as everyone else here. What is totally new to me as a player is the comment section (compare the comment section in before and after) and the number of DL as well as number of followers reached what is a top for me.

Here are some numbers:

nr of folowers 1172 date 2018-08-01
    nr of folowers 1603 date 2018-08-11

Indeed, I have four Maxis favs which I am most greatful for. However, if you look the the number of DLs it is pretty low which also reflected on the number of followers. Does that mean my creations are bad? No, ofc not it means that less ppl hade need for them. As an example, take a look at my Coco and Modo household. The comment section was FILLED with sometimes hateful comments since the sim does not look feminine enough (ofc I deleted those).

My example shows that the system does work as I guess it is intended to work, nevertheless we players still think in the old patterns. As I said, the examples show before the patch and after patch and the after patch upload was a fresh one.
    Hi @FruUtter - I couldn't agree with you more about knowing what people want and what they are looking for in their game - THAT is what gets downloads. Someone could build a beautifully detailed, huge palace, but it isn't necessarily what people are looking for.. Sure, you might get a lot of favorites and admiration, but it might not be practical to play and it doesn't mean that somebody who built a simpler construct is cheating their downloads.

I do think that there are some who may do this, but I don't think it is as big as a problem as what's being continously implied. I'd say the vast majority of the people in top pop are there legitimately atleast in the lots category - I don't know anything about the household category. With that said, I absolutely support the cheat loophole being closed and hope that they fix it ASAP because this is not fair game play AND it's also not fair to accuse innocent people of it. I also personally feel that continously re-uploaded content shouldn't be sitting in top pop and strongly support an option for creators not to have their stuff re-uploaded.

Exactly, and we can think whatever we like. At the moment CC is the king. Some of the pop creations (my tottaly subjective and personal opinion) look very different in CAS but what ppl buy is THE presentation picture. I guess they hardly look in CAS at sims because otherwise the POP tab would look completely different. (Oh am I critical to my own creations XD )
  • kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    @FruUtter
    You only confirmed the theories that those who have already gained some popularity are now better off. I also do not complain - my downloads have doubled since the new Gallery. Unfortunately, this is not fair to those who have never won the Maxis prize and have zero friends because they do not understand how it is needed at the start.
    By the way - if it's about nominations, let's face it - it is - with very small exceptions - club of mutual adoration.
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
    @FruUtter
    You only confirmed the theories that those who have already gained some popularity are now better off. I also do not complain - my downloads have doubled since the new Gallery. Unfortunately, this is not fair to those who have never won the Maxis prize and have zero friends because they do not understand how it is needed at the start.
    By the way - if it's about nominations, let's face it - it is - with very small exceptions - club of mutual adoration.

I still do believe that everyone has a chance on the gallery because if one observes, unknown players get between 20-30 DLs on their sims which was mpossible in the old gallery. I was lucky if I got over 50 Dls and 100 was the stars and moon for me even with 900 followers. And again, speaking of "hearts" aka likes was even harder to reach.

Your wrote: By the way - if it's about nominations, let's face it - it is - with very small exceptions - club of mutual adoration.

Maybe it is for now. However, it can all be changed. Nominatition is time consuming, however, it is in a good cause if one nominates small/unknown creators so it is just action that is still missing.
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2018
    @FruUtter

I still do believe that everyone has a chance on the gallery because if one observes, unknown players get between 20-30 DLs on their sims which was mpossible in the old gallery. I was lucky if I got over 50 Dls and 100 was the stars and moon for me even with 900 followers. And again, speaking of "hearts" aka likes was even harder to reach.

My experience, and it would seem that of a lot of posters here, has been the exact opposite. My uploads since the update have received far fewer downloads (with one exception, but that's probably due to the fact that it has 'starter home' in the title and a lot of players search for those specifically). With the old gallery, I used to at least get 20 or so DLs on a build. Now with my most recent build, I had 1 the last time I checked. And it's a much better build than some I've made in the past that got far more DLs.
  • kass17kass17 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2018
    @FruUtter What do you mean? Did you test the trick? Cause I myself have troubles to reach there and get so many downloadsโ€ฆ and i don't do it. And you know my popularity, and 3 Maxis fav in 2 weeks.
    @kreatora I am more popular than tons of creators that are to the top actually, and I have hard time to get the most popular tab. I reach there only with few creations, and not so fastly than some others.
  • GLovely1GLovely1 Posts: 797 Member
    Okay @FruUtter you know I love and respect you so I hope you can understand when I say I respectfully disagree with some of the points you are trying to make here. Yes, I do see how once someone's creation whether they have a big or small following will do impressively better regarding downloads/likes and gaining new followers. I have seen the system work for 2 of my creations but only barely and only when they finally earned enough downloads to get into the popular now section in the first place. I have found it so far in my personal case impossible even with a great sim creation to reach the amazingly high download totals you have been earning in this new system. I know it is not impossible clearly since you are reaching these huge numbers now but I will adamantly say the new system has made it overall harder for the majority of creators for all the reasons that have already been stated.

I do make my sims according to what I know the gallery likes and also I happen to love styling them for the gallery. This new system has made it much harder to receive the initial downloads to reach the popular now page. In the old system I would upload something and within the first few hours could realistically expect 50-100 downloads and sometimes more depending on the gallery variables like the number of people on line, titles, hashtags and followers likes. The biggest change I have noticed is in initial upload as I have already stated. I am waaaay under my typical mark for each upload and this is exactly what most of the gallery is experiencing right now in the new system. Especially new creators and great creators trying to be seen but have a lower following. You are speaking only regarding your personal experience and all of your personal variables that you feel are working for you. Those same variables are not working for me and it seems they are not working for most of us now.

I am happy for you and your love for this new gallery system. I agree about loving some of the changes as well and yes more patience to really live and breathe this new system is needed. I have that in spades ;) The biggest point we all should agree on is simply this ~ If the gallery popular now default remains as it is now (even if it doesn't) then EA/Maxis has the responsibility to immediately make the change to fix the method some simmers are using to cheat on download totals. That is unfair and even if only 100 simmers are doing it out of the pool of thousands all of their creations will take up all the spots available in the handful of lines that the gallery actually shows us now on the popular now section.

No one should have the ability to self download and make themselves more important than every other creator putting time, love, imagination and respect into their creations and the people here in the gallery. That is the problem, period. @FruUtter you know you are sharing the top of the popular now section with known self downloaders. Please acknowledge that at least and since that is the case just comparing you and this other known self downloading creator there is currently a 50/50 ratio of honest creators and self downloaders in the popular now. Yes, I know stats don't work that way .. I am trying to get the point across .. to me personally even 1 self downloader is too much to share the gallery with and now is the time we need to speak up since they are actively trying to make the gallery better. Thanks again for reading and caring everyone <3
    Please join my ๐Ÿ’œ Quick Creativity Challenge ๐Ÿ’œ forum thread
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• GatochwegGatochweg Posts: 22 Member
    How many downloads do you need to get into pop now? If it's really that many do you really think that people are going to sit for hours just downloading there own stuff.
    By the way I do agree with you that downloading your own stuff shouldn't add to the count.
    @Gatochweg Yes, and sadly, some simmers are very tasted of popularity, even on sims. We have confirmation that some use the self download.
    edited August 2018
    @Gatochweg ~ Thank you for agreeing with me that self downloading should not count into the download total.

Simmers don't sit there for hours self downloading. They don't need to do that because once they boost the creation into the popular now section then the whole gallery does the rest of the downloading for them. That is how the current and the old gallery system works. Everyone sees the "popular now" section so all a simmer needs to do is self download over the first 24 hours of an upload. Anyone can self download easily and quickly. As I said I have studied this for the past year now and if you check my original forum post on this you will see more information. I admitted then and admit again that for the purposes of gathering evidence back then I did self download and found that I could add +1, +1, +1 approximately 5 times in just 1 minute. Now imagine the simmer only wanting the popularity and to be seen especially at the top of that page. They will happily sit there and in only 5 little minutes give themselves 25 more downloads. 10 minutes = 50 downloads etc. So, all a simmer needs to do is spend about 10-20 minutes, not all at once but over the first 24 hours. Then they are the rock stars of the gallery because the whole gallery sees them after that in the popular now section. Then, the whole gallery takes over and legitimately downloads that initially self downloaded creation. That is a straight up fact and it needs to be fixed immediately especially if EA/Maxis leaves the popular now as default as is.
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2018
    Kass17 wrote
    @kreatora I am more popular than tons of creators that are to the top actually, and I have hard time to get the most popular tab. I reach there only with few creations, and not so fastly than some others.
    @kass17 Next time try only base game for house: :p in the last resort only two packs and necessarily zero accessories.You will see the differences
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
    @kreatora I know what you mean, but there are not so much difference to me with sims. I don't make many lots, so it is not the same. I think that we can't compare lots, rooms, and sims.
  • Artemisa02Artemisa02 Posts: 258 Member
    I want to share my experience with the new Gallery. I must say that I agree with some ideas that @FruUtter said. I recognice that my rooms gets more downloads lately, with the old Gallery I got 200 or 400 download if the room reached the top. Now I don't know if I was lucky but 2 of my rooms reached the most popular, one with more than 1000 downloads and the other have 550 so far. First days those rooms had 5 or 10 downloads, then sudenly those rooms got more at next days.

Anyways, is not the same with my sims, ok I'm not a sim maker I admite it, but before the update my sims could get at least 100 downlodas easily, now I have 2 with less than 50 ...

I need to do some test with houses, because I think the downloads reflect the kind of followers that you have, I always been a room builder, most of my followers like rooms, so If my rooms still download but my sims don't, well there you have your answer.

I don't know if this makes sence but I triying to figure out this new system of downloads. About the issue with self downloads have no objetion, It always been happening and I don't know if Maxis don't realize that or don't care.

I think the gallery need to be more fair with everyone and at least do some changes in order that everyone have chances to reach the top. We need to be more realistic about one thing, yes we all build because we love that, but, what meaning have to do smething that anybody won't to see or download? ...

Thanks for your attention :)
    anime_girl_signature_by_marisascarlet-d480fmk.jpg
    My original ID @Artemisa02
    For more check out my blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/artemisa02
    Check my Workshop
    MY WORKSHOP BY ARTEMISA02
  • missautumn19missautumn19 Posts: 22 Member
    Before the update my uploads were getting an average of 20 downloads. Since I'm lucky to get even 2 :( . It is frustrating, but I do know @SimGuruKate has asked about it on twitter and they are looking into a better solution.

Today, at 10.15 AM, I just opened up the gallery and what I see is that even players with 0-2 follwoers (see examples below) have a very good chance in being visible on Pop Tab among all the the old timers. Look at the Sim Anika Grun it has over 2k DLs and the player has like 9 followers! And see the rest of randomly chosen players they ALL have good DLs and those numbers were not possible in the old system.

My Pop Tab view at 10.15 2018-08-12
    tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo1_1280.jpg

Take a look at the item Anika Grun
    tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo6_1280.jpg

And here is player's profile
    tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo7_1280.jpg

And here comes the random players
    tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo4_1280.jpg

tumblr_pdca1e56fH1xzmtkxo5_1280.jpg
    I download from the gallery all the time. Searching for interesting builds and looking at them in game is half the fun for me.
    I downloaded some houses from the pop now when it first came up and then I got bored with it because the rowes you see at first sight are always the same. So now I switch to new at once and work my way through rows and rows of houses that don't appeal to me to find the ones that do.
    But I don't mind because I think it is worth it. many people don't. Now the gallery offers to them a quicker way of getting to the houses that are liked by most people and they are much more likely to find a lot that suits their purposes a lot easier. The gallery provides a service, it is not a contest.
    I build myself and of course it is good to see that other people like what I make. If this new gallery reduces the amount of downloads I get than that is unfortunate but hardly the end of the world. Those who seek for different buildings will switch to new, those who don't care about that will not.
    I would very much prefer it that we could decide for ourselves what we set to default. Seems to me that that way everybody gets what they want.
    Or if that is not possible some neutral start up page, like it was before, but than one that makes it much more easier to see what choices there are.
    Today, at 10.15 AM, I just opened up the gallery and what I see is that even players with 0-2 follwoers (see examples below) have a very good chance in being visible on Pop Tab among all the the old timers. Look at the Sim Anika Grun it has over 2k DLs and the player has like 9 followers! And see the rest of randomly chosen players they ALL have good DLs and those numbers were not possible in the old system.

I'm sorry, but you can't disprove my own observations to me. Those numbers were very much possible in the old system, and for me they were more possible. Of course some players with low followers are still going to get downloads, there's going to be exceptions in anything. But my problem is seeing the newest page filled with creations with 0 downloads, when that was never the case before.
    Anyway, the purpose of this thread is not to create arguments about whether or not we like the new gallery, but for those of us who have a problem with it to express what those problems are. Let's not get into argument territory and wind up with the thread closed.
    I am tired of advocating for fairness in the gallery. I have tried for months to help simmers see what is really going on. @FruUtter it is not a good idea to share information of simmers you don't know simply because there is no possible way you could know if those simmers are "self downloading" or not. I am typically an optimistic person by nature but right now I am sorry, I can't be. I've seen it happening for a year now and with the gallery defaulting to popular now I believe more simmers will use the "self download" trick.

We are all playing in this gallery which we expect to be fair. It is not. I have seen the affects of "self downloading" simmers first hand and I know it is happening more than anyone seems to want to acknowledge here. That bothers me. It bothers me not because I am jealous of their popularity but because I am offended by the act of cheating. Even in a game. It is wrong and should be removed from the gallery system.

I feel I have explained the "self downloading" issue clear and thoroughly here. You all obviously care about downloads & the popular now section being the default however I still don't think I have managed to convince but a few of you how serious this problem is for the gallery. If I can't convince you here how am I ever going to convince EA to fix this problem? I told some close friends recently that I am at this point .. ignore the cheating .. join the cheating .. or leave the gallery. I feel that choice again right now :/
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Bottome line:
    Newest needs to be the default setting so everyone gets a chance at exposure.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • PlantylPlantyl Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2018
    @FruUtter There are always chances for everyone including random players to touch the Popular Now tab but sorry, those numbers can't be trusted nowadays as long as the 'self-downloading' trick still exists. As @GLovely1 said, you can't share information of people that you have no idea whether they are using the trick or not. Please remember that the gallery isn't a transparent place yet.
    Post edited by Plantyl on