Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

FORUMS

2...Next

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    michelei wrote: »
    I think if a company was really trying to "modernize" they would be more inclusive not less. I actually found it very offensive for EA to announce "Oh we are taking away your forum" and then chastising people trying to communicate with each other in their own language. I am not Danish but it felt like a slap in the face. It felt like they were screaming you are not welcome here. I am very sorry you are being treated this way.

The problem is forums cost money to operate. If there wasn't enough activity (unique members) and enough money coming in as a result of that forum, then all it does is cost EA money. Especially now with the trend for people to use social media sites rather than forums to complain about bugs or discuss the game, forums that cost EA money aren't likely to be retained. And that one day may happen to this forum.
    There is a thing that I think that EA has missed in its considerations:
    1. Many young simmers often visit the forums. But only for reading about the game and become inspired.
    2. Young simmers often write their first message in a forum when they need help and other simmers usually help them if they can and the problems are solved. If the forum doesn’t exist anymore then they will either stop playing the game or try to get help from EA’s support. But EA’s support doesn’t even give help in Danish anymore because that would cost EA money too. But then EA will lose a lot of young simmers who just will give up on the game unless their parents can help them. And a lot of parents can’t and will just tell the young simmers to play another game instead.

So closing the Danish forum will likely cost EA much more money than EA imagine.

But how much money compared to what they losing by having the site up?
    Having the site up hasn’t really cost EA anything in the last couple of years because our Danish forum has been without maintenance and without a moderator since SimGuruTomas left about 2.5 years ago.
    If they lose $1000 a year to not having Danish support but lose $2000 a year by running a Danish forum, then it makes perfect business sense to consolidate forums. Especially if you understand that EA is moving away from the usage of forums for their games. They will not keep a forum that loses them money.
    Agreed. But the only expense that matters is the wages to paid moderators who moderate and maintain the forum. We now have made our own forum for free instead by using free software and a free server. So when other companies can offer this for free then so could EA. But EA just doesn’t want to have forums without paid employees to moderate and maintain them. This is the problem.
    And they're already starting to pull off parts of the English forum. The help sections are about to be closed and people directed to EA's Answers HQ.

Yes, it's unfortunate that they are pulling the cord while Sims 4 is still in active development and not at the end of its life between iterations and that they are moving away from forums all together. Hopefully, they are giving each forum they are closing plenty of time to organize to figure out where to move to and to pull of the useful information posted on the forums so that it's not a mad dash to save everything and move.
    The problem here is that EA has moved all the gurus away from the forum and over to Twitter instead. The reason is that many more read what they write on Twitter. As an example polls about the game on Twitter that only were open for one single day produced about 30,000 votes which would be impossible if the polls had been held here in the forum instead.

But in Denmark the problem still is that EA is closing the forum and already closed the game in Danish in September 2017. So EA seems to just want to lose all the Danish customers who can’t read and write English. At least there isn’t any support for them at all anymore.

Removing maintenance and moderators only reduced the costs. The site still has to deal with bandwidth costs. Nothing is free. Free forums have their limitations and many will have have ads. If your new Danish forums bring too much traffic, there will be problems due to the increase in bandwidth costs. Bandwidth isn't that expensive anymore for smaller sites so places can offer free forums with minimal ads that barely bothers users of sites. But if you start getting large amounts of traffic, then those small costs add up to more than what is covered by the ads and then you run into problems - what those are will depend on who you use for hosting.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I think if a company was really trying to "modernize" they would be more inclusive not less. I actually found it very offensive for EA to announce "Oh we are taking away your forum" and then chastising people trying to communicate with each other in their own language. I am not Danish but it felt like a slap in the face. It felt like they were screaming you are not welcome here. I am very sorry you are being treated this way.

The problem is forums cost money to operate. If there wasn't enough activity (unique members) and enough money coming in as a result of that forum, then all it does is cost EA money. Especially now with the trend for people to use social media sites rather than forums to complain about bugs or discuss the game, forums that cost EA money aren't likely to be retained. And that one day may happen to this forum.
    1. Many young simmers often visit the forums. But only for reading about the game and become inspired.
    2. Young simmers often write their first message in a forum when they need help and other simmers usually help them if they can and the problems are solved. If the forum doesn’t exist anymore then they will either stop playing the game or try to get help from EA’s support. But EA’s support doesn’t even give help in Danish anymore because that would cost EA money too. But then EA will lose a lot of young simmers who just will give up on the game unless their parents can help them. And a lot of parents can’t and will just tell the young simmers to play another game instead.

So closing the Danish forum will likely cost EA much more money than EA imagine.

Having the site up hasn’t really cost EA anything in the last couple of years because our Danish forum has been without maintenance and without a moderator since SimGuruTomas left about 2.5 years ago.
    If they lose $1000 a year to not having Danish support but lose $2000 a year by running a Danish forum, then it makes perfect business sense to consolidate forums. Especially if you understand that EA is moving away from the usage of forums for their games. They will not keep a forum that loses them money.
    Agreed. But the only expense that matters is the wages to paid moderators who moderate and maintain the forum. We now have made our own forum for free instead by using free software and a free server. So when other companies can offer this for free then so could EA. But EA just doesn’t want to have forums without paid employees to moderate and maintain them. This is the problem.
    And they're already starting to pull off parts of the English forum. The help sections are about to be closed and people directed to EA's Answers HQ.

Yes, it's unfortunate that they are pulling the cord while Sims 4 is still in active development and not at the end of its life between iterations and that they are moving away from forums all together. Hopefully, they are giving each forum they are closing plenty of time to organize to figure out where to move to and to pull of the useful information posted on the forums so that it's not a mad dash to save everything and move.
    The problem here is that EA has moved all the gurus away from the forum and over to Twitter instead. The reason is that many more read what they write on Twitter. As an example polls about the game on Twitter that only were open for one single day produced about 30,000 votes which would be impossible if the polls had been held here in the forum instead.

But in Denmark the problem still is that EA is closing the forum and already closed the game in Danish in September 2017. So EA seems to just want to lose all the Danish customers who can’t read and write English. At least there isn’t any support for them at all anymore.

Removing maintenance and moderators only reduced the costs. The site still has to deal with bandwidth costs. Nothing is free. Free forums have their limitations and many will have have ads. If your new Danish forums bring too much traffic, there will be problems due to the increase in bandwidth costs. Bandwidth isn't that expensive anymore for smaller sites so places can offer free forums with minimal ads that barely bothers users of sites. But if you start getting large amounts of traffic, then those small costs add up to more than what is covered by the ads and then you run into problems - what those are will depend on who you use for hosting.
    Of course there is a tiny cost of a few dollars a year. But this isn’t something that matters to a huge company like EA. There is a huge difference in what it costs for one of us to buy a released pack sometimes or for one of us to pay for something like Netflix and what an EA employee gets in salaries or wages.

EA will lose customers because EA shuts both the support in Danish and the forum down. If I made a forum myself and didn’t limit it to 5 GB then it would cost me a small amount of money too. But not even as much as just a single Sims 4 simmer uses on the game each year and EA has thousands of Sims 4 customers in Denmark. So such small amounts don’t matter. But the calculations are not so easy if we want to compare the loss of customers with the wages for moderators who watch the forum almost 24 hours a day. So the problem is how much EA really needs to watch, maintain and control the forum all the time?
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Of course there is a tiny cost of a few dollars a year. But this isn’t something that matters to a huge company like EA. There is a huge difference in what it costs for one of us to buy a released pack sometimes or for one of us to pay for something like Netflix and what an EA employee gets in salaries or wages.

EA will lose customers because EA shuts both the support in Danish and the forum down. If I made a forum myself and didn’t limit it to 5 GB then it would cost me a small amount of money too. But not even as much as just a single Sims 4 simmer uses on the game each year and EA has thousands of Sims 4 customers in Denmark. So such small amounts don’t matter. But the calculations are not so easy if we want to compare the loss of customers with the wages for moderators who watch the forum almost 24 hours a day. So the problem is how much EA really needs to watch, maintain and control the forum all the time?

I'm sure EA has done a cost analysis of shutting down versus keeping the Danish forums open and has decided that it's in their best financial interests to do what they are doing.

It does stink that they decided to not just eat the costs until Sims 4 wound down.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    edited August 2018
    I guess I can see both sides of this. I do not think the intentions of this decision was to make people feel unwelcome. It just seemed rather harsh. I know there are other forums out there and twitter for people to access. I come here for the community feel and the communication with the sims team. Even when I do not agree with an opinion I still get to share my love for sims with like minded people. I can not imagine how I would feel to loose that. I just wish there was an alternative choice.

@Bubblyboo2 I am sorry for going off topic. I like the forum the way it is now. I enjoy being able to share my love for the sims with people all over the world and get to see all the different points of view. I did not officially vote because I do not know if my vote counts as I am not Australian.
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    The Way it is now?
    Simburian wrote: »
    I've noticed that Twitter has a "translate this tweet" option. Maybe use EA's several Twitter accounts to complain about this in your own languages and they will be given the option to translate your tweets. Make yourself heard before your forums disappear.

That's all I can advise. I've gone through 20 years of EA's forum closures!

Except there are issues with online translators (and always have been). While the technology has gotten better, it's still a long ways off from being accurate--even more so the case with certain languages. With Twitter, they use a third party for the "translate this tweet" option which unfortunately suffers from the same issues with inaccuracies in translations (sometimes comically so) as pretty much every online translator out there. That's the problem I could potentially see with implementing such an option on this forum to say nothing of the miscommunications that could result from it. As this is the official forum, that could also pose a potential issue in situations that may involve say EA staff for example.

I have to wonder if part of the reason behind the closures may be due to a lack of either traffic on the languages being targeted and/or if it could be a staffing issue (ie a lack of EA staff who are fluent in the languages whose forums are being closed in most cases)?

In another type of community that I belong to, I have seen this same type of situation take place where certain languages lost their subforums within the main forum for it. The official reason cited was cost (as short of taking out ads to display, there really isn't a way to recoup the cost of running a forum and if you have areas of a forum that may not generate as much traffic as other sections and/or may have staffing issues, those sections may end up being targeted).

However, having said that, I understand as someone whose first language isn't English that feeling of sometimes being more at ease or comfortable in trying to communicate with others who speak your language (to say nothing of just being easier to do so).

Within just the Sims community, I have to admit to being surprised to see some of the forums mentioned as being targeted for the closures. For example, going back to even the Sims1 era, I remember there had always been a very large and well-represented Australian and New Zealand population just as among languages, there historically had always been a very big and active Swedish and Danish presence as well (especially among custom content creators).

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

I'm sure EA has done a cost analysis of shutting down versus keeping the Danish forums open and has decided that it's in their best financial interests to do what they are doing.
    I am sure that EA did that too. But in a company like EA almost the only costs that matter are all the wages to the huge number of employees (about 9300 worldwide) even though the equipment and all maintenance of the many nice buildings cost a little too. But EA hasn’t used any money on the Danish forum in the last 2.5 years neither to maintain and update the forum because it never got the updates or to pay somebody to moderate it and watch it because it wasn’t moderated either. So seen from a cost-benefit point EA should of course have kept the forum. But apparently EA just didn’t feel comfortable by continuing this way and to assign paid moderators to the Scandinavian forums again would of course have cost EA money to pay their wages. We don’t know though how many moderators EA thought were necessary or for how many hours a week. But EA seem to have wanted so much control that in the end EA just didn’t think that it would be worth it and therefore decided to just close the forums instead.

EA still thinks that the forums have value though because otherwise EA wouldn’t have kept them open as read-only forums also in the future. So EA knows that simmers have been used to search the forums for information when they need inspiration or have problems with the game.
    It does stink that they decided to not just eat the costs until Sims 4 wound down.
    Yes, I don’t know why EA suddenly now decided not to just let the Danish forum continue with write access too and still without moderators and update. We haven’t had any important problems in the forum with this. But EA clearly didn’t feel comfortable with it anymore anyway.

• VinceDjansenVinceDjansen Posts: 87 Member
    Having the just Australia And NZ forum?
    I feel so very sad and disappointed by the EA decision.

Whenever I bought a game or pack (And I've bought a LOT), I've always felt, that I paid for a complete package with the benefits of a local forum included - not just the game itself.
    I consider the forum to be a part of the price I've been paying for games and packs since the first game arrived.
    Saving money on the moderators must influence positively on the price of games to come then, I guess!

Another thing is mine and a lot of other scandinavian gamers loyalty and goodwill against EA - now worth nothing.
    After more than 1400 posts on the danish EA forum and a proud and active member since 2009, I WILL be leaving the community by the end of this month - and continue my posts on a private platform - in danish.

GOODBYE EA FORUMS - shame on you :s:'(:/:(

• Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Well, like most of the sims - after our choice - are friendly and positive, we are able to choose different traits for them. To me the decision to close our Danish forum is a "slapping the door in our faces". We have been regular customers for many years, and now I sincerely consider to go with my Olsen Bande leader Egon Olsen and say: Goodbye EA Games, goodbye forever!
    Crh9SR4.jpg
  • DryodaDryoda Posts: 56 Member

Whenever I bought a game or pack (And I've bought a LOT), I've always felt, that I paid for a complete package with the benefits of a local forum included - not just the game itself.
    I consider the forum to be a part of the price I've been paying for games and packs since the first game arrived.
    Saving money on the moderators must influence positively on the price of games to come then, I guess!

That is a good point.
    However the moderator on Finnish forum said that she hasn't been paid for moderating the Finnish forum. She apparently got couple free games at the beginning, but has never received a paycheck or gotten anything else for years now. I thought that moderators for other forums worked free on voluntary basis too. So EA is not saving money on moderator paychecks on Finnish forum at least. Makes me wonder if this is really a money issue, because this whole things has felt more like laziness from the beginning.

Finnish forum is slow and might even appear dead, I'm not denying that. Finns don't really post about their games unless there is an issue so Finnish forums are mostly help and support forum where people post only when they need help. While almost all Finns learn English in school I don't think they will be able to get help from here because it takes good language skills to describe the problem and understand the answer given. That goes beyond average English skills most Finns have.

Receiving guidance in your own native language is important service. That service was already taken away earlier, when official support closed and is only available in English (for Finns, at least). Now the last line of help and support is being taken away.
    Sure we too are trying to create other forum where Finns can get help in their own language, but where do you first go when your game stops working? The official forums and help sites or some fan made forum and site?

And slightly off topic.
    In the other topic about forums closing, the one that's locked right now, EA_Mage said that users from closing forums could get their rank changed from New Member to Member if they leave a comment on EA_Mage's profile. I asked if that's true and it is. So if you could tell users in your forums about this so they can take advantage of this if they want to. It's little, but it's something at least and I'm glad and thankful about it.

edited August 2018
    Nice to read, that someone is glad and thankful, when we on the Danish forum feel totally lost in language "hell". Most of us don't write or understand English properly. So the risk of being misunderstood at the English forum is very big. I just experienced that in another thread, that was closed because of a misunderstanding on the mods' part. Like VinceDjansen said, we think that the value of our expensive game The Sims has been decreased.

It doesn't help to tell Danish users of the Sims forum that they can go to the English one, when they don't understand English technical language and can't explain their problems in proper understandable English!
    BTW I am crawling in my skin because I don't want to sign every post with: "Sorry for my English, it is NOT my native language.
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    I think that all Scandinavian forums are more or less dead, here during the summer vacation period, in the hottest summer for 100 years.
    I think most Danes, in the last month, have searched for shadows under the trees or been in search of water they can cool in, so Sims has probably not had the greatest attention.
    It makes me think it's just smart to do an analysis of the Language Forums and announce a profound change in forums, in July o:)

It's hard to figure out what forums cost to drive or if they make money into EA. But anyone can easily figure out that it sells lots off games if EA gives a single youtuber, with 900000 followers, a pre-game release.
    The question is whether it is really costly to maintain our forums or whether it is because EA does not assign any value to them.
    I still believe that without a community where you can share your gaming experiences, the game becomes boring and loses its magic.
    @MonaSolstraale still if the problem is too much traffic and EA Games need to increase the bandwith, then what is the point of directing us all to an English forum? And as you say, if the problem is not enough traffic, they must consider that we in Scandinavia are fleeing to the beach to cool off. I have asked the EA_Mage please to tell us what the real problem is, but I get no answer.
    edited August 2018
    This whole discussion makes me just sad :'(

Today I fell across the section in the Danish Forum where @Noeddehaven has done a huge job translating all Murkland challenges, made by @Brennachan, into Danish
    In my universe it seems completely meaningless to discard us from the opportunity in the future.
  • BrennachanBrennachan Posts: 2,055 Member
    edited August 2018
    This whole discussion makes me just sad :'(

Today I fell across the section in the Danish Forum where @Noeddehaven has done a huge job translating all Murkland challenges, made by @Brennachan, into Danish
    In my universe it seems completely meaningless to discard us from the opportunity in the future.

That makes me happy that the translation still exists and is in use! YAY! I hope the Danish forums are fixed. It is sad to hear that not all the forums are being kept up!
  • NoeddehavenNoeddehaven Posts: 43 Member
    edited August 2018
    The Danish Forum has 9 days left :'(:'(:'( (But I´m glad that I recognize users from Denmark in this thread)
    The Danish Forum has 9 days left :'(:'(:'( (But I´m glad that I recognize users from Denmark in this thread)

I'm really very sad too :'(:'(
    I have between 2-3000 images from my game that I need for a story. It's a project I wanted to work with all autumn and now I have nine days to finish my story about Don Lothario and all his lovers. It should be fun and cozy …...but now it almost fills me with stress :s
  • Bubblyboo2Bubblyboo2 Posts: 52 Member

I'm really very sad too :'(:'(
    I have between 2-3000 images from my game that I need for a story. It's a project I wanted to work with all autumn and now I have nine days to finish my story about Don Lothario and all his lovers. It should be fun and cozy …...but now it almost fills me with stress :s

Thats horrible that ur forum is getting closed down! That happened to us aussies and New Zealanders as well. Its rlly sad :'(:'(:'(
  • VinceDjansenVinceDjansen Posts: 87 Member
    FAREWELL TO EA.

This is the last weekend with an open forum in Denmark.
    So I really want to say thank you to all users of the Danish platform - thanks for all your help, comments, stories and anonymously friendship.

I've been a member since 2009 and have written around 1500 posts on the Danish site - and have allways felt, that the forum was a big and important part of my Sims-gaming - a part, that I thought I paid for as a included part of my games.
    That's why I'll give every forthcoming expansion a second thought, before I buy it - and NOT just buy most of it right away, as I used to.

I've decided not to use the English forum at all, but use a new private danish forum instead.
    But it still makes me VERY sad and disappointed, that someone have made this unnecessary decision in the EA group.

OVER AND OUT
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    edited August 2018
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    Maybe a foreign language section could be made where people who aren't comfortable writing in English could still make posts in their own language. I saw what is happening with the Danish forum and I feel really bad for everyone who won't be able to post their ideas or their stories anymore.

Fortunately I don't listen to your advice ... :) But I only replies in conversations I can. It doesn't stop me to take part of the forum and to see what's happening in my own community.
    I see there are languages not represented in the forums choices that got millions of speakers. Ain't sad? Or probably because I am from Europe I can't see them? Where is Mandarin, Korean, Japanese, Bahasa Indonesian, Thai, Viet, Arabic etc forums?
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)