Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do your sims MOSTLY earn the living?

I admit that over generations I use different ways to earn money (now I'm selling the artifacts I found in the jungle) but mostly I just send them to work.

How do your sims MOSTLY earn the living? 116 votes

Active and non-active careers
48%
Akl500Pauroraael14vancanuckfan86Kita5399Icewolfmeggera007mcruddZorgaMariefoxprice83gingergirl_tRadioAChickencchant86LadyDecafirishluck1986PegasysAnthonydyercheesetruckfallenangel66ierolovrr31BlueSeaWaves 56 votes
Gardening or fishing
9%
Bluebeard45TheLibrarySimkeenowJennyggCagierSaturnMDianaSimsMHsimsFanRaven_CatKoteykax4m1r4chozobo 11 votes
Collecting rocks, fossils, artifacts etc
1%
ldmarkoGamingTweety 2 votes
Painting or writing books/songs
16%
StrangerthanThunderbat87Katiardguezhunniboo1SajahiCAITLINX354AoifeIrelandadele_katSekrilRedDestiny92ViridisaAgentJuliabooo0oooGodleyjeansparadiseplanetXareyahEvalyn326EMZ_1blayzecameron1 19 votes
They don't earn their living cause I help them with some cheats
4%
MylitadreamprisonerSophsterzDaBawssxbackEvie0602 5 votes
Running a restaurant, vet clinic or a store
1%
RedShoe7addie19 2 votes
Selling pets
0%
Bagoas77 1 vote
Money tree
2%
MeteoraStormblueyblueskyBigCatlover26 3 votes
Other
14%
IceyJSikoahGracevik92MaryVannstilljustme2KirbySkywalkerfoxx_fennecLex2221SailorCeticatmando830xxnearlyperfectxKarababy52RumancekEnkiSchmidtShadyLady89Maggiedoll[Deleted User] 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    chozobochozobo Posts: 40 Member
    Gardening or fishing
    Honestly, at this point I make more money from selling Lemons, Roses, Apples etc. than from my sim-husband's career. My sims could live off it.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I match careers to traits.
  • Options
    foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    Other
    Depends on the Sim/household. Normally either a career, painting, and/or writing, but I’ve recently found out what a useful source of income gardening is since they’ve overhauled it to be less of a hassle. Sometimes I’ll decide to have someone run a retail store and sell things they’ve found or made.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • Options
    SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    Other
    A combination of all the above. It depends on what stage of life they are in. Rarely cheat to give them money though. I'm more apt to take money away than I am to give it to them.
  • Options
    Tan80Tan80 Posts: 72 Member
    Going to work and through collection duplicates.
  • Options
    ShadyLady89ShadyLady89 Posts: 908 Member
    Other
    There should also be an option for "all of the above." Most of the time my sims will have their career, and then a hobby that makes them money, like gardening, writing, a musical instrument, painting, etc. That's the best way I've found to make money in game if you don't want to cheat. Gear everything towards work in the young adult stage, or maybe even as a teen, and then by the time they are adults they should have a pretty nice nest egg, specially if you get the Wealthy Aspiration reward that gives you weekly investments on your funds. Sometimes, however, I have my insanely rich sims gift large sums of money to their friends or ex-lovers. It all depends upon which sim I'm playing.
    Origin: ShadyLady1989 | please feel free to add/friend me!
    Sims 4 Blog
    Don't feed trolls. Do feed cowplants.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    They don't earn their living cause I help them with some cheats
    Motherlode :D
  • Options
    SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    Other
    I don’t have a staple. I have them go for whatever fits their background story.
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • Options
    Lex2221Lex2221 Posts: 972 Member
    Other
    I send them to work, paint and garden
    2ahzmo1.gif
  • Options
    MaggiedollMaggiedoll Posts: 241 Member
    Other
    There's not one of those options that I'd say is specifically their main income. My sims usually only do careers for aspiration goals or just to play the active careers. Income is a combination of most of the hobby activities. I haven't bothered with money cheats in ages, they really just never need it.
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    Work is their main source of income, with everything else on the side - though, the first few days it's anything goes as they try to afford to furnish their houses! Kind of need an all of the above at any given time option lol.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited August 2018
    Other
    Most of my Sims will have a job because I like the reward items (even if I end up selling them) and the career outfits help expand my Sims' wardrobe, but then bring in extra money with hobbies like painting, writing and programming/hacking. I also have a dual generational goal for my current household -- complete the collections and all the careers (both tracks). Even on Long lifespan it'll take several generations; I also have other households I can rotate to when I need a break from my main household, and I have households I've taken out of the rotation and left to the vagaries of MCCC.

Now that teens can live on their own, I like to start a teen out in a cheap apartment, picking up extra money with collectibles (the posters actually bring in good money) and freelancing with writing/painting/programming, hanging out at the library in Willow Creek or Windenburg to use their computers (I also have a computer lab in my Art & Science Center in Newcrest) or at one of my Arts Centers to use the easels (I did replace the easels at the Casbah Gallery with higher quality ones). It'll probably be a few generations till I play another gardening Sim, and I'll try to avoid the money tree -- my current family actually has too much money and I'm going to have to take away a bunch of it after I split the household.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Other
    All of the above!!!
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Other
    I have used all of the above methods, except; running a vet, selling pets (I don't have the C&D EP) and the money tree. 95% of the time, when I'm not doing a challenge, my Sims start with nothing Rags to Riches style and earn simoleans to build their homes and progress through life with hobbies such as; gardening, painting, fishing, woodworking or collecting.

Sometimes I'll go the retail or job/career route, but It's rare. I like the Science career, Painter, Culinary/Chef, Writing/Author, Tech Guru/eSport Gamer, Athletic/Body Builder and Astronaut jobs the most when they do have a career/job.

I have Seasons and have tried the Flower Arranging hobby to earn simoleans too and I absolutely loved it...at first. I adore gardening, but once I found out about the current extremely low splicing percentages, I'm a bit turned off from doing it for now. I sincerely hope the Devs consider raising splicing percentages in a future patch.

Recently, I decided to venture outside my comfort zone and start a Sim out the regular way with a job I've never played before and an aspiration I only completed once with my Super Sim. I even let her have the standard 20K to build a small house. *gasp* lol So far it's been fun, she's progressed to Level 8 - Spy Captain in the Diamond Agent branch of Secret Agent and is moving along slowly with her Renassaince aspiration.

I haven't totally abandoned hobbies for her though. She has a small greenhouse garden with just six plants, those needed to splice for Bird of Paradise & Orchids, plus a Growfruit tree for fertilizer. It's an experiment, of sorts, to see just how long it takes for those plants to produce the rare flowers.

She also paints because I'm thrilled we finally have a portable easel and wanted to check it out. I've limited her to only three paintings a day though and she can't sell them to earn simoleans as in the past. I also made a rule that she must rotate to paint one of each genre/size starting over once she's painted all of them.

They are currently being stored on a Generic lot in a studio I built just for her. Perhaps one day she'll sell them to move to a bigger lot, finance a retail shop or resturant, but more likely I'll have her use them as Holiday/Birthday/Moving Out gifts for friends and possibly future family members.

What I'm trying to do here, is limit how much simoleans my Sim acquires for a good length of time because it's been my experience I tend to abandon Sims when they get too rich. I want to play this Sim as long as possible before that happens. I love that we can give gifts now, especially simoleans through Seasons, that'll come in handy. I'd rather not just cheat the simoleans away, my Sims earned it, they should enjoy it and spread the wealth rather than it just disappearing like they never had it. They won't know the difference, but I will! :)

Happy Simming! <3
  • Options
    KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    edited August 2018
    Other
    Make creative sims, start painting. Sell the paintings and keep decorating the painting room as you get money until it gets the +3 decorated and as much inspired decor as it takes until you are instantly “very inspired” as soon as you enter the room. Earn aspiration points and pick up marketable and creative visionary.

You can also set lot traits or start a club to increase painting skills.

Also start a garden on your lot and build up your gardening skill. Or getting a death flower any way you can. And fishing and getting an angelfish.

Keep painting and selling and (optional) pick up the “connections” and “entrepreneurial” reward trait with your sims. Make one sim focus on cooking/gourmet cooking and join the culinary career. Make the other sim join the scientist career.

With the culinary sim your goal is to complete the master chef aspiration and max out cooking and gourmet cooking. With the scientists your goal is to get the cloning machine.

Save up 1500 aspiration points with 1 sim and buy a potion of youth.

Once you have the master chef aspiration, level 10 gourmet cooking/ cooking, the cloning machine, a deathflower, angelfish, and potion of youth. Make ambrosia and clone it repeatedly. Sell the clone for $8000-$15000 until you are bored. Stick a couple on a shelf near the cloning machine to clone again when you need more money. They will last forever since you have the master chef reward.

Pick up the shrewd aspiration as soon as each sim has earned $200,000.

Now you can just do whatever you want and never have to work again.

That’s how I do it every time. Idk why it’s just what I gravitate to.
    Post edited by KirbySkywalker on
  • Options
    ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Collecting rocks, fossils, artifacts etc
    With multiple households I actually have a variety of ways to make money, collecting has been my favorite way, but the game has kind of nerfed that since Seasons. Painting is my second favorite way. Some have careers, but I like my sims to have more freedom, so they mostly freelance. I usually steer clear of the active careers because I play families, and it's hard to meet all their needs when you're with one sim at the science lab all day.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • Options
    gingergirl_tgingergirl_t Posts: 60 Member
    I mostly give them rabbit hole careers, but early on they do a lot of selling collectables in addition to that. Sometimes I give them a painting or gardening hobby to make more money too!
    It has begun again. http://gingergen.wordpress.com
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    The majority of the income comes from non-active careers, but I do like to have at least 1 sim, such as a mother or grandmother that does a monetized skill. This way they get a lot more freedom and it frees up time to get some household chores done such as cooking or cleaning.
  • Options
    CAITLINX354CAITLINX354 Posts: 157 Member
    While usually my sims' partners get a job I almost make my created sims some sort of creative person. I really need to work on moving out of that gameplay because it get old.

Although now that I've found custom careers I've been using those more and more.
  • Options
    xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    Other
    Depends on what I want them all to do. I have a mixture of them all.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Gardening or fishing
    I tried the explore thing but my Sims got to fat and was taking forever for them to walk from A to B. Tried sending them to the gym even outlawed baking but nothing worked. Now they garden and paint.
  • Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    I always have my sims work in a non-active/active career but I never let sims work in the same one at the same time. I’ll Only let them once work in the same career but different branch. I want to unlock all the career and locked items.
  • Options
    paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited August 2018
    I exploit how much painting makes ALL the time. In fact my first Sim in Sims 4 is an artist and is one of the richest in the game.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • Options
    OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    edited August 2018
    I kinda of want to have one family that breeds and sell their pure bred dogs, but I have not done that yet. For now, mysims tend to make money with active careers.