Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited August 2018
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Aw thanks Bugsie. :) Can't wait to see your aromantic character. XD

Going to make him/her/them Connor's new roommate after Ron and Claire get a new place. :)

Cool. :) Out of curiosity, are they genderfluid or haven't you decided on their gender yet? XD

I haven't decided. :) I need to reload my game 'cause it crashed.

Noo. That plums. Good luck with LL preparation.
    I didn't start yet so it's fine. :)

Meet Dani. They're going to be Connor's roommate when he finds a new one.
    tumblr_pda2rqqgJe1wv47k8o1_540.png

Oh they're cool. Looking forward to meeting them.

There's stuff that's going to happen before we meet them but I'm excited as Dani will probably be an interesting character to write. All the jokes and all the fun! (By jokes and fun, I mean Dani makes a lot of jokes and is a fun person...just thought I'd add that.)
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @simscognito @CathyTea notice anything weird with this mange households p96oYzj.png?

I'm quiet good as guessing which sims are which-I just guessed correct one of the 2 parents which show up in Widenburg when you start. I misspelled the name.

@MadameLee I'm not sure, sorry. :(

@simscognito the household names are missing (Odgen, James, Corensi-Tony's son-in-law), a premade (Spencer kim)

Oh! I thought you blanked them out in PhotoShop or cropped it so they wouldn't show in order for us to guess the Sims! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    Hi, everyone! How are you?

I read a great article this morning about aromanticism. It really inspired me for my writing!

If you are aromantic, have a friend who's aromantic, or are interested in romantic boundaries/romantic abuse, or how to depict aromantics in your writing, then I highly recommend this article: https://standupmag.org/2018/08/10/the-terrifying-power-of-love-the-pressure-aromantic-people-face/

As a writer and reader of SimLit, I found it fascinating. I've been privately and personally bemoaning the absence of ase.xuals and aromantics in songs, film, and literature, and especially in SimLit, where the majority of stories seem to be propelled by romance and s.ex. Romance is a fun, engaging, and popular genre, and of course, it provides a really good structure for a story--and Sims are well-suited for it. At the same time, I often wonder what other ways are there to drive a story.

In my own writing for the past few years, I've often been avoiding romance--in part this is out of curiosity to discover the structure and form that a story can follow when it's not a romance. In part, it's for diversity and to increase representation. And in large part, it's because my own Sims tend to be ace, aro, and/or aroace.

Summer House, which I just finished, explicitly deals with themes of aromanticism and ase.xuality, with the three main characters being ace, aro, and/or aroace.

Anyway, I found this article so inspiring, both personally and as a writer, and I hope it inspires you, too, if you're interested in greater representation!

Genuinely never had a reason to mention it but I do actually have an ace character. :) Liv, rye's sister. I've wanted a good reason to mention it before but never got one.

Yay for ace characters! :) I'll have to pay attention to Liv when I'm reading that.

Rye actually seems a little bit aromantic to me...

I read a great article this morning about aromanticism. It really inspired me for my writing!

If you are aromantic, have a friend who's aromantic, or are interested in romantic boundaries/romantic abuse, or how to depict aromantics in your writing, then I highly recommend this article: https://standupmag.org/2018/08/10/the-terrifying-power-of-love-the-pressure-aromantic-people-face/

As a writer and reader of SimLit, I found it fascinating. I've been privately and personally bemoaning the absence of ase.xuals and aromantics in songs, film, and literature, and especially in SimLit, where the majority of stories seem to be propelled by romance and s.ex. Romance is a fun, engaging, and popular genre, and of course, it provides a really good structure for a story--and Sims are well-suited for it. At the same time, I often wonder what other ways are there to drive a story.

In my own writing for the past few years, I've often been avoiding romance--in part this is out of curiosity to discover the structure and form that a story can follow when it's not a romance. In part, it's for diversity and to increase representation. And in large part, it's because my own Sims tend to be ace, aro, and/or aroace.

Summer House, which I just finished, explicitly deals with themes of aromanticism and ase.xuality, with the three main characters being ace, aro, and/or aroace.

Anyway, I found this article so inspiring, both personally and as a writer, and I hope it inspires you, too, if you're interested in greater representation!

Genuinely never had a reason to mention it but I do actually have an ace character. :) Liv, rye's sister. I've wanted a good reason to mention it before but never got one.

Yay for ace characters! :) I'll have to pay attention to Liv when I'm reading that.

Liv won't be in much of the story and so it won't be brought up at all. It's something she doesn't really think about much because she doesn't think it's that important to mention. Unless she gets a boyfriend then she is upfront about it. (She's romantic but ace.)

Rye actually isn't aromantic. We just haven't seen that side of her yet. We will explore that down the line, just not important to the story right now.

Weirdly enough, I'm aro (or aroace more exactly) but I seem to write a lot of romantic stuff. It's weird to me and I feel like all my character's relationships are the same because I have few reference points to go from.

I tend to really enjoy the way aroace writers write romance. I think because, sometimes (not so much with yours, but with another one of my favorite aroace writers), there's an element of awkwardness, which makes the scenes so endearing and true-feeling. With your writing, I love your depiction of romance because it's... not overly mushy. The tone draws me in--almost practical or observant. That lets me as a reader observe the interactions without my own emotions interfering. It's like... taking off the rose-colored glasses and simply presenting the people as they interact. I enjoy that!

Yes, I love this about @Bugsie2016 's romance. We get to focus on the interesting parts of a relationship, which is companionship. How a couple interact and navigate through life together.
  • Options
    Okay, I'm shocked. :joy: I put Henry through the 16personalities test and he's come out with ENTJ. :joy: I guess that could make sense... it just means his anxiety's worse than I thought. :D
  • Options

Liv won't be in much of the story and so it won't be brought up at all. It's something she doesn't really think about much because she doesn't think it's that important to mention. Unless she gets a boyfriend then she is upfront about it. (She's romantic but ace.)

Rye actually isn't aromantic. We just haven't seen that side of her yet. We will explore that down the line, just not important to the story right now.

Weirdly enough, I'm aro (or aroace more exactly) but I seem to write a lot of romantic stuff. It's weird to me and I feel like all my character's relationships are the same because I have few reference points to go from.

remind me to ask cog what everyones talking about. confused for now. i got confused by both this and sissys post.

Aromantic and/or Asexual characters.

both things confused me.

Aromantic means you lack romantic attraction towards people and asexual means you lack sexual attraction towards people... I think.

see told you you were a good explainer. :)

Hehe. Hopefully that was a good explanation. :joy:

It was a perfect explanation!

The thing to remember is that there are all sorts of attractions! (Just ask me--I experience several of the following types!)

There's...

spiritual
    romantic
    friendship (sometimes called Platonic)
    aesthetic
    creative
    inspirational
    sensual
    emotional
    psychological
    familial
    partnership
    hero

and maybe more?

Here's an article that talks about some of these: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/terms-of-attraction

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

remind me to ask cog what everyones talking about. confused for now. i got confused by both this and sissys post.

both things confused me.

Aromantic means you lack romantic attraction towards people and asexual means you lack sexual attraction towards people... I think.

it was thats why chose to ask you. iknew you could explain it because i understood the thing you said about paris. i think it was paris .

Yes it was. :D Aw thanks. Yeah, I guess Paris is a challenge to explain. What's more challenging is my own sexuality, abrosexuality. Whenever I discuss the asexuality aspect of it, everyone gets confused. :joy:
    This discussion makes me want to write a protagonist who is aromantic. Maybe when I finish a story then I'll write one. Or maybe LL has room for another character. :open_mouth:

@Bugsie2016 You totally should. :)

I'm off to go create him/her now! :)

Also, what's abrosexuality? 'Cause I don't know and I'm curious.

it means not just one oreintation ,

That's a much better way of explaining it. :joy:

it should be i looked it up. :)

CathyTea will be impressed. :D

I'm so impressed! In fact, before I saw this message, I was thinking, exactly this: "Wow! I'm so impressed!"

• Options

both things confused me.

The thing to remember is that there are all sorts of attractions! (Just ask me--I experience several of the following types!)

There's...

spiritual
    romantic
    aesthetic
    creative
    inspirational
    sensual
    emotional
    psychological
    familial
    partnership
    hero

and maybe more?

Here's an article that talks about some of these: https://www.theodysseyonline.com/terms-of-attraction

Yeah, the thing about being abro is I'd kinda prefer it if there were few ways of experiencing attraction. :joy:
  • Options

both things confused me.

it was thats why chose to ask you. iknew you could explain it because i understood the thing you said about paris. i think it was paris .

Yes it was. :D Aw thanks. Yeah, I guess Paris is a challenge to explain. What's more challenging is my own sexuality, abrosexuality. Whenever I discuss the asexuality aspect of it, everyone gets confused. :joy:
    This discussion makes me want to write a protagonist who is aromantic. Maybe when I finish a story then I'll write one. Or maybe LL has room for another character. :open_mouth:

@Bugsie2016 You totally should. :)

I'm off to go create him/her now! :)

Also, what's abrosexuality? 'Cause I don't know and I'm curious.

It's a sexuality that's fluid. So, for me, it means my sexual orientation is always changing. One moment I might be attracted to men, another moment, I might be attracted to women, or both or neither. Sometimes I might have a high sexual drive, other times I won't (this is where it gets complicated. Hard to explain but it's not the same as differing sexual drives for alloromantics) and I tend to be asexual for a large amount of the year, so usually with my uni peers I just say I'm asexual because abrosexuality confuses people too much. :joy:

That's not complicated. :)

Aw thanks Bugsie. :) Can't wait to see your aromantic character. XD

Going to make him/her/them Connor's new roommate after Ron and Claire get a new place. :)

Cool. :) Out of curiosity, are they genderfluid or haven't you decided on their gender yet? XD

I haven't decided. :) I need to reload my game 'cause it crashed.

Noo. That plums. Good luck with LL preparation.

@simscognito I wonder how come I'm able to have a very good chance of getting a sims' name right for the household business>?

A sims name right? Do you mean, your sims names tend to suit the household business?

Nope I'm able to somehow "Remember" about lucky amount of time the sims' actually last name. It's one thing if it's a sim pre-made (and I can sort of guess them and correctly) or if I dressed them up for either of my 2 Religions. or if they're born in-game or I downloaded them from offline (the Premores Gen 2 and Gen 3).

I just guessed the last name for Carly's husband (and double-checked it) and it was correct. "Prince" Alexander Goth as well i did his family earlier

I think it's because you have an awesome memory for details like names, dates, and places!

• Options

I tend to really enjoy the way aroace writers write romance. I think because, sometimes (not so much with yours, but with another one of my favorite aroace writers), there's an element of awkwardness, which makes the scenes so endearing and true-feeling. With your writing, I love your depiction of romance because it's... not overly mushy. The tone draws me in--almost practical or observant. That lets me as a reader observe the interactions without my own emotions interfering. It's like... taking off the rose-colored glasses and simply presenting the people as they interact. I enjoy that!

Yes, I love this about @Bugsie2016 's romance. We get to focus on the interesting parts of a relationship, which is companionship. How a couple interact and navigate through life together.

Oh, yes! And that's another type of attraction: companionship attraction!

• Options
    Okay, I'm shocked. :joy: I put Henry through the 16personalities test and he's come out with ENTJ. :joy: I guess that could make sense... it just means his anxiety's worse than I thought. :D

I think... Hmmm. I would have guessed INTJ, I think.

And what's Alex? ENFP? ENTP?

• Options

Oh, yes! And that's another type of attraction: companionship attraction!

That's one of my favourite types of attraction. Just plain companionship.
  • Options

Actually, I'm guessing ESTP... or ESTJ... something very close to my mother's. But I'm currently putting him through the test right now.

Yeah, I know right? :joy: Maybe Henry panicked when he was answering the questions. :lol:
  • Options

I don't like to focus on the lovey-dovey stuff. There is occasional lovey-dovey but it's kept on the low side. I actually imagine Ron and Claire to be that really lovey dovey couple at points offscreen.

To be, the interactions between a couple are literally exactly the same as between two friends or two other close people. They just happen to love each more than friends.
  • Options

both things confused me.

There's...

spiritual
    romantic
    aesthetic
    creative
    inspirational
    sensual
    emotional
    psychological
    familial
    partnership
    hero

and maybe more?

Yeah, the thing about being abro is I'd kinda prefer it if there were few ways of experiencing attraction. :joy:

I can imagine! Well, you can always pick and choose, huh?

For me, my main attractions, in this order, are...

1) spiritual
    2) personal (I like the person, which is kind of the same as spiritual, only related to this specific instance of the person)
    3) intellectual
    4) creative
    5) aesthetic

I think I can leave the rest?

• Options
    @simscognito Cog, I'm glad you're back! I've missed @Bugsie2016 @friendsfan367 @MadameLee @CT spam sandwiches! :)

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    @simscognito @CathyTea notice anything weird with this mange households p96oYzj.png?

I'm quiet good as guessing which sims are which-I just guessed correct one of the 2 parents which show up in Widenburg when you start. I misspelled the name.

Is that Eric Lewis who's Currently Not in World? Did he move out?

@CathyTea Actually that the Edward Spencer-Kim guy. He and all the others are suppose to be long dead but somehow a bug has made them in nameless limbo

6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

Actually, I'm guessing ESTP... or ESTJ... something very close to my mother's. But I'm currently putting him through the test right now.

Yeah, I know right? :joy: Maybe Henry panicked when he was answering the questions. :lol:

I'm testing this on Rye...I'm curious. Also, I'm an INFP and mum's a ESFJ (She's the only person I asked to take it...that and the hogwarts sorting quiz...)
  • Options

both things confused me.

There's...

spiritual
    romantic
    aesthetic
    creative
    inspirational
    sensual
    emotional
    psychological
    familial
    partnership
    hero

and maybe more?

I can imagine! Well, you can always pick and choose, huh?

For me, my main attractions, in this order, are...

1) spiritual
    2) personal (I like the person, which is kind of the same as spiritual, only related to this specific instance of the person)
    3) intellectual
    4) creative
    5) aesthetic

I think I can leave the rest?

Hmm... I guess so. I do like spiritual. I love personality. Interesting people grab my attention. Creativity, yep, probably go into personality. Aesthetic... I don't know. I guess I have a type... not sure.

But yeah, I agree with these. :)
    @simscognito Cog, I'm glad you're back! I've missed @Bugsie2016 @friendsfan367 @MadameLee @CT spam sandwiches! :)

Aw thanks. I've missed you guys too. :)
  • Options

I don't like to focus on the lovey-dovey stuff. There is occasional lovey-dovey but it's kept on the low side. I actually imagine Ron and Claire to be that really lovey dovey couple at points offscreen.

To be, the interactions between a couple are literally exactly the same as between two friends or two other close people. They just happen to love each more than friends.

I don't know if the lovey dovey smoochey relationships are real though? Because after a year and half you're over that, and it's just the companionship love on the whole.
  • Options

I'm testing this on Rye...I'm curious. Also, I'm an INFP and mum's a ESFJ (She's the only person I asked to take it...that and the hogwarts sorting quiz...)

I'm an INFP! So is @friendsfan367 ! (Or maybe ENFP, I forget...)

• Options
    edited August 2018

Man. You're lucky. Being an INFJ In a family of ESTJs is hard work. :joy:
  • Options

I don't know if the lovey dovey smoochey relationships are real though? Because after a year and half you're over that, and it's just the companionship love on the whole.

sorry but I can't help but picturing Rupert Grint kissing Rachel McAdam (they played characters named Ron and Claire 2 separates things)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

sorry but I can't help but picturing Rupert Grint kissing Rachel McAdam (they played characters named Ron and Claire 2 separates things)

ooh that's an interesting combination actually.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

RG=Ron Weasley in HP movies and RM=Claire in Time Traveller's Wife
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

RP=Ron Weasley in HP movies and RM=Claire in Time Traveller's Wife

Ohhhhh... Man, they'd have the same initials if they got married. XD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top