Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Legacy House - Constructive Criticism Welcome

Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 3 Builders
Hi! I had a house built for my legacy challenge and decided I hated it and bulldozed the whole thing and restarted it. I got an idea that I want a home and a Guest Home on the same lot mostly being because I'm doing the Legacy Challenge and figure I'll have the parents in one house and the newest generation (or the kids I'm not continuing with) in the other... The guest home is going to be further back on the lot (not yet built). I decided though I'm out of ideas, and I want some other ideas for the house/guest house/outside as well as anyone to point out anything you don't really like cause I'm a bit iffy on how it looks, and would like ideas on how to make it better. I'm also open to hearing anything you do like :blush: I'll also upload pictures of progress for a while. Thanks if you take the time to read this :lol: Also it's somewhat picture heavy so I've put the pictures into categories and spoilers (:

Overview
TdvsHqK.jpg
jpSNolp.jpg

Main House
Outside:
1Q1xPfD.jpg
7AWVpN0.jpg
UXeV8R8.jpg

Inside:
Downstairs:
JvJftq9.jpg
7dT4Vjy.jpg
BJqjFrD.jpg
uxnEcpD.jpg
EU6Vc3r.jpg
Upstairs:
HUM36Gi.jpg
gaaNcbn.jpg
rt4HhBx.jpg
sAD7CZO.jpg

Some thoughts I have before anything: Quite a few of the rooms are also incomplete, any ideas for those are welcome too. More importantly, I need help filling in the awkward empty spaces on both floors.. On the second floor I plan to add a small living room and reading area hopefully with a fireplace. Any other ideas? Also outside I'm planning to make a party area with tables/chairs, maybe a dance floor, and the empty space in the top left corner of the lot is going to be the "guest house". Any thoughts are welcome, all will be considered... thanks in advance (:

*Edited to just say I have all of the expansion packs so if you have a thought of a certain item feel free to let me know, and I'm also not opposed to custom content*
hLhdCsO.jpg

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Your Legacy Home looks great! :) Very nice design of the exterior! The open shutter windows add a nice look to the home, amd upper level and ground level porches look great! Very nice kids outdoors playground area. Kids will have fun playing on the playground equipment, on the swings and in the sandpit. The layout of the interior looks very nice. Very nice sofa seat sitting nook for Sims to enjoy sittimg resting there watching tv or reading a book, and would enjoy painting on the easel. It is great that there is an island bar stool counter in the kitchen area for Sims to enjoy eating a meal whilst sitting on the stool. The windows dining alcove nook looks great! It is nice that you have used the circular dining table there. Sims will enjoy sunshine coming into the area through the windows whilst dining at the table. The flowers are a pretty touch on the table top for Sims to see when dining. The red and white patterned flooring in the bedrooms complements well with the red colour of the double bed and the bunk beds.
    The home is looking very nice! :)
  • NubianOnyxNubianOnyx Posts: 33 Member
    I like it. Lots of open space!
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    edited August 2018
    I'm really not into those arched windows with the shutters on this house. I think it would look a lot better if they were square. I also think the outside would look better with a different pattern/siding on the outside. I think it has to do with the separators you see between each floor, particularly the very top one with little space between that and the roof. It just doesn't look right to me. I would also remove the fencing that's not attached to the porch. I think it is a distraction for what should be a big and beautiful yard. Perhaps you could replace it with one of the very short "fences" that would typically go around a garden instead? I think those don't block sims from entering them either, so it would still separate your walkway from the grass.

Besides that, I think you're off to a pretty good start. I'm liking the overall shape of the house and how spacious it is.
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member
    edited August 2018
    I also think you’re off to a great start and that replacing the windows may be better. Perhaps joining the separate roofs with a gable right across would help tie them together nicely. I like the large round dining table. Have you tested to ensure Sims can access the seats at the back? You could potentially tie in the tiled kitchen and entrance areas... perhaps diagonally. Experiment and have fun :smiley:
  • Chi5678Chi5678 Posts: 268 Member
    edited August 2018
    @60smusicluvr I'll try out a few things with the windows, to be honest I wasn't very big on them either because I usually use full-length windows for builds and make them slightly futuristic looking, but I wanted an old-timey feel. I'll definitely try a few things... Also, I've gotten rid of some of the fences here and there. I tried getting rid of all of them and didn't like how it came out, but I got rid of a set and replaced it with a pond and rocks to act like a fence in a way with spots to allow sims to fish. I'll upload pics in a bit, let me know if you like it better than the fences. Also, I hate that pattern on the outside for that very same reason, but when I tried replacing it with one that didn't have separators, it looked horrible. Perhaps with different windows it'll look a bit better, I'll try that. Any suggestions for the painting/siding?

@soocoolsim I'm not completely sure what you mean.. is this what you mean but one that runs across the whole length to connect both roofs?
    5QUFYv4.jpg
    I really liked the large dining room table also, it's a custom content download. They made an 8-sim one and a 6-sim one, so I downloaded both just in case. The back seats were accessible but only if the side seats had no one in them, so if the person sitting in the back came late to the meal, they couldn't eat there. I've since sold it and tried the 6-sim one, which works perfectly fine as far as I know, then again my game just glitched out and I just fixed it again so I haven't had much game time since. Also, I like how it looks with the kitchen and entrance connected, but I'm a bit iffy on when it reaches the half wall. I don't particularly love the half wall, but I do want a separator between the entrance and living area. Let me know if you have any better ideas.

I've changed quite a bit of the house so far so I'm gonna take these comments into consideration to work a little more on it, then I'll post more pictures soon (:
    hLhdCsO.jpg
    Oh one more thing, it's winter time and I hate how the windows fog up. Does anyone know a way to/a mod to stop the windows from fogging?
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Yep to the gable pic. Maybe experiment with columns to finish off the end or add full walls opened up with arches if you’re not so keen on the half wall?
    @soocoolsim Ooh I like that idea. I'll definitely try that when I have more time.
    hLhdCsO.jpg
    edited August 2018
    Most Recent Update:

@60smusicluvr @soocoolsim I took a lot of your comments into consideration and here's how its looking so far. Let me know what you think :blush:
    IyuVp3L.jpg
    OMhQsjb.jpg
    I tried out the arches here, I like it a lot actually.
    z0kImkf.jpg
    I put up a different paint/siding on the outside that kind of looks a little better, and I also made all the windows square, I'm still a little iffy on them. And I tried out that gable roof, I must just not be able to make it look right. The roofs also are not the same depth so it's possible they just don't line up right. I'm not sure.
    x6EafMS.jpg
    I updated the dining room to be a table of 6 instead to limit routing issues. (And I'm just noticing the awkward triangle of wood instead of carpet so I'm fixing that)
    J5o29OM.jpg
    And this is of my ponds/rock work out back. I like the rocks better than fencing, but I still need to work on the rock work a little more. I'm trying to play without cheats which means I have to make my sims work before I can add more rocks XD

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply :grin:
    Post edited by Chi5678 on
    hLhdCsO.jpg
  • seasseas Posts: 37 Member
    Very nice house. The only thing throwing me off are the shutters. They almost look backwards or is it just me?
    @seas Did you see my update? The post right above yours I changed all the shutter windows to square windows and fixed the siding and a few other tweaks :smile:
    hLhdCsO.jpg
    @Chi5678 I haven't but on my way to now! How did I miss it..lol
    Just saw the update....it looks great! Like those windows better. I also love that little dining room and how you did the angled rooms...just a great house!
  • 60smusicluvr60smusicluvr Posts: 1,982 Member
    Chi5678 wrote: »
    Most Recent Update:

@60smusicluvr @soocoolsim I took a lot of your comments into consideration and here's how its looking so far. Let me know what you think :blush:
    IyuVp3L.jpg
    OMhQsjb.jpg
    I tried out the arches here, I like it a lot actually.
    z0kImkf.jpg
    I put up a different paint/siding on the outside that kind of looks a little better, and I also made all the windows square, I'm still a little iffy on them. And I tried out that gable roof, I must just not be able to make it look right. The roofs also are not the same depth so it's possible they just don't line up right. I'm not sure.
    x6EafMS.jpg
    I updated the dining room to be a table of 6 instead to limit routing issues. (And I'm just noticing the awkward triangle of wood instead of carpet so I'm fixing that)
    J5o29OM.jpg
    And this is of my ponds/rock work out back. I like the rocks better than fencing, but I still need to work on the rock work a little more. I'm trying to play without cheats which means I have to make my sims work before I can add more rocks XD

Thanks for taking the time to read this and reply :grin:

Ooh! I like it much better! The roof looks great!