Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I need opinions on butlers

SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
My old sims 3 legacy family had a butler and I’ve considered remaking them in sims 4. The question is, are the butlers in vintage glamour stuff an npc or is he added to the list of playable sims? What are your opinions on the butlers you’ve hired? Are there good ones and bad ones?
This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited August 2018
    When you hire a butler, they will be like a hired NPC, but can live in your home. You can even set a bed for them and everything, and can lock the butler's room from everyone but them as well. They will generally do everything all those other hired NPC's do; cooking, cleaning, gardening, and even babysitting, plus a lot of extra! They can be your DJ if you have Get Together, or your personal masseuse with Spa Day. A butler's duties were well done this time. However, like all other created sims, they will have random traits and aspirations and will have random names and appearance. I've only had one family that was rich enough and had a big enough house to warrant hiring a butler, but the first butler I hired for them was a very mean Indian butler and had chosen to not only let them go, but also delete the sim from my save. The next butler I hired was this nice elderly lady, who somehow is immortal to boot (she's lasted a couple gens without dropping dead so I presume the game glitched her to be immortal), and has been the great family butler ever since.

If you prefer to change their appearance though, you might want to type into the command bar:

cas.fulleditmode

then right-click the butler to change Sim in CAS, which will allow you to change their entire look and even their traits/aspiration (but beware that changing traits may still keep leftover moodlets from their former traits intact). Of course you can make them a playable sim as well, but that refutes their job as your butler and you'll have to hire a new one instead.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    The butler will be an NPC.

Honestly I often find myself simply creating a sim in CAS and manually control them to be the house butler.
    The Vintage Glamour butlers aren't always reliable because if they get the klepto trait they will start stealing your items :|
  • SailorCetiSailorCeti Posts: 807 Member
    When you hire a butler, they will be like a hired NPC, but can live in your home. You can even set a bed for them and everything, and can lock the butler's room from everyone but them as well. They will generally do everything all those other hired NPC's do; cooking, cleaning, gardening, and even babysitting, plus a lot of extra! They can be your DJ if you have Get Together, or your personal masseuse with Spa Day. A butler's duties were well done this time. However, like all other created sims, they will have random traits and aspirations and will have random names and appearance. I've only had one family that was rich enough and had a big enough house to warrant hiring a butler, but the first butler I hired for them was a very mean Indian butler and had chosen to not only let them go, but also delete the sim from my save. The next butler I hired was this nice elderly lady, who somehow is immortal to boot (she's lasted a couple gens without dropping dead so I presume the game glitched her to be immortal), and has been the great family butler ever since.

If you prefer to change their appearance though, you might want to type into the command bar:

cas.fulleditmode

then right-click the butler to change Sim in CAS, which will allow you to change their entire look and even their traits/aspiration (but beware that changing traits may still keep leftover moodlets from their former traits intact). Of course you can make them a playable sim as well, but that refutes their job as your butler and you'll have to hire a new one instead.

Thanks. I’ve had the game since release. The base game anyway. And I played 1, 2 and 3. I’m aware of the cheats. I elect never to use them or cc either. I’m paranoid my save will get corrupt. But thanks for the Butler info!
    This game needs more Sailor Moon!

Hold SHIFT while using the FRIEZE tool to apply it to a single wall, and not an entire room!

** SailorCeti's Builds **

If you download one of my builds, by all means, leave me a message and tell me what you did and did not like about it.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    you definitely want to check a butler's traits. i always instantly dismiss kleptomaniac ones and then delete them from manage worlds. wouldn't be such an issue if you could easily find/replace what they took, but you can't, so the trait's a pain. i try not to have more than 4-5 kleptos in my game, and have them in playable households just so i can go into household inventory later to return, or at least see, what they stole so i can replace it

butlers can be nice to have, esp if you have kids or laundry in your house, as they'll deal with them automagically. just one rather frustrating thing about them is they're not 'locked' to individual households. say, family a hires butler a, then family b hires butler b. at some point, when you load into family a, they might have butler b working for them...which gets a little annoying, especially in games like mine where i have an alien household with an alien butler (that needed cheats to make). less than fun to see the landgraabs with an alien butler wandering around...

also, be aware that if a butler makes food on your lot (they like to do that, serve the family and all that), you will have to manually make your sim put the extra servings in the fridge. since butlers are unplayed, the food they make doesn't get the hand icon, so you can't quickly drag it into inventory or fridge or whatever
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    @kalaksed I thought they fixed that last one in a patch? I remembered it in the notes
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    @paradiseplanet, i'll have to check next time i'm on a household that's not the fyres. which may be a while...

haven't had much time to play sims lately, and when i am on, it's mostly been playing the fyres family to do a few things, like get moira settled in the gardening career and specifically to get her to gather up the various 'splice-only' plants to try and set up a normal-quality greenhouse with them on the gallery. since a lot of people are having issues getting things like orchid or bird of paradise to flower, while those are both flowering just fine for my households

there are three households in my game with butlers currently. the landgraabs, another rich family i placed in the 64x64 in brindleton bay (they're sort of based on the family from beetlejuice. even have a ghost living with them), and then the stellar academy, which is meant as a sort of boarding school for aspiring astronauts (at least for those leaning towards the space ranger branch. interstellar smugglers have another household). the latter has a top level astronaut (human), and scientist (alien) as instructors, and a human and half-alien as students currently. and the afore-mentioned alien butler
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    I love, love, love the butler - I wish all my households could afford one - but they can't and I don't use cheats - but as soon as they have that kind of money to spend believe me they will all have butlers.

I restarted the game right after Cats and Dogs came out with all new - start from scratch Sims and so far none has that kind of money or big enough houses - but many times since I got spoiled having butlers in my former game I have cursed the fact none of these sims make that kind of money. They were so darn handy and dependable all the time. They made it easier for my sim to have a life outside of work and house duties - now my poor sims must do it all - sigh.

I also got rid of all laundry stuff - that gives my sims much more free time.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....