Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Object Babies confirmed....

You often hear, "What makes you think babies in Sims 4 are objects?"

Well, how about the fact that even the game considers them objects?

eWoYJj7.png

Hh5h9Dw.png
p8L4V6v.png

Comments

• Options
    xxritaaaaaaaxxxxritaaaaaaaxx Posts: 31 Member
    Oh wow, maybe they were talking about appreciating the baby crib ahah *facepalm*
  • Options
    BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    Yes, babies are objects in this game. You can even find them in the debug items list.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    In past Sims games, you used the moveobjects cheat code to move babies. They have always been programmed as "objects". But the Sims don't seem too bothered by it :p
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Perhaps I can shed some light on this for you.

Object is a term in programming, especially in video game programming, that most likely comes from Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). OOP became popular largely on the idea that it would make programming more like the real world and easier to understand and operate on for that reason, especially with large codebases. Though it has been successfully utilized in that way to some degree, there is disagreement in the programming community as to how useful an object-oriented focus is, largely because programming is not, in fact, like the real world (or when it is, it's not always like it in the right ways). For example, I could walk up to your internal organs and say hello to them, but they probably have no way of knowing that I attempted to communicate with them.

Similarly, object-oriented programming gets some flack for sectioning things off too much, to the point that it becomes a nightmare when you want X to communicate with Y and it needs to jump through an elaborate series of hoops, some of which simply may not exist and need to be created, for it to be able to do so, when it probably could have done the communication a lot more easily had things not been so sectioned off.

In video games, in particular, object-oriented programming is often used literally for objects, where each instance of a simulated object in the game is represented by a copy of a general template, usually called a class, or class object. Ultimately, classes, or objects, are just a way of grouping together information and, in some cases, sectioning it off, with the goal of making it easier to organize and making it less likely that something terrible will happen because of a bug, or, sometimes more importantly, a coder who doesn't understand the codebase well enough and tries to do something funky with it.

It's just a name, ultimately. In the C++ language, there's something called a "struct" that is almost identical to a class and could be used for "objects" in the same kind of way. Another name that is used in some game systems is "entities."

So yes, babies are "objects." Other sims are too. Probably the most important difference to players between a sim baby and, for example, a sim toddler is the baby's inability to move around. Lack of visible needs and inability to take control of the baby in any way are other major factors, I'm sure. These are traits that are unique to the "what makes a sim a sim" experience and because they are missing, babies can tend to seem lifeless and mechanical.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    I would like babies to be actual Sims that a family can bring along when leaving the house. Not a big fan of them simply being an interaction object.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    Poli69plPoli69pl Posts: 72 Member
    Honestly I don't mind babies being objects. And maybe the 'appreciate the object' interaction refers to the crib?
  • Options
    xxritaaaaaaaxxxxritaaaaaaaxx Posts: 31 Member
    Brindleton wrote: »
    Yes, babies are objects in this game. You can even find them in the debug items list.

Oh gawd
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, it's been known for a while now. You can even buy a bassinet with a baby in it with buydebug :D

Edit: Didn't realize that somebody already mentioned this :grimace:
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Eh--pretty much consider all babies from the sim games 'objects'. Only difference is they're just attached to the crib rather than being able to move them around. Can feed them, change their diaper, play with them along with other interactions just like the other babies. They get taken away if you neglect them. Babies in every game always been a pretty lack luster life stage anyway. They are babies.

I mean the average for them to age up is two days? So, not like it lasts long with aging on.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    In the other games we complained about babies just being left on the ground. We complained about them being left anywhere. So they solved the problem by having them stay in the crib.
  • Options
    MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Brindleton I’m curious, if you select a baby from the debug items list and put it in your game do you actually get a baby? Or only the crib?

Who would the baby’s parents be? What does it grow up to look like?

Might have to try his form of “adoption”!
  • Options
    SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I would love to be able to take a baby out in a stroller to the park. I miss TS2 days when you could bathe them in the sink and actually see their eye colors and facial expressions. We should also be able to change the clothing they are wearing.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    This

The game released and a month or so later they added the buydebug cheat. Snooping through I found babies. I suspected as much before then.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Object is a term in programming, especially in video game programming, that most likely comes from Object-Oriented Programming (OOP). OOP became popular largely on the idea that it would make programming more like the real world and easier to understand and operate on for that reason, especially with large codebases. Though it has been successfully utilized in that way to some degree, there is disagreement in the programming community as to how useful an object-oriented focus is, largely because programming is not, in fact, like the real world (or when it is, it's not always like it in the right ways). For example, I could walk up to your internal organs and say hello to them, but they probably have no way of knowing that I attempted to communicate with them.

Similarly, object-oriented programming gets some flack for sectioning things off too much, to the point that it becomes a nightmare when you want X to communicate with Y and it needs to jump through an elaborate series of hoops, some of which simply may not exist and need to be created, for it to be able to do so, when it probably could have done the communication a lot more easily had things not been so sectioned off.

In video games, in particular, object-oriented programming is often used literally for objects, where each instance of a simulated object in the game is represented by a copy of a general template, usually called a class, or class object. Ultimately, classes, or objects, are just a way of grouping together information and, in some cases, sectioning it off, with the goal of making it easier to organize and making it less likely that something terrible will happen because of a bug, or, sometimes more importantly, a coder who doesn't understand the codebase well enough and tries to do something funky with it.

It's just a name, ultimately. In the C++ language, there's something called a "struct" that is almost identical to a class and could be used for "objects" in the same kind of way. Another name that is used in some game systems is "entities."

So yes, babies are "objects." Other sims are too. Probably the most important difference to players between a sim baby and, for example, a sim toddler is the baby's inability to move around. Lack of visible needs and inability to take control of the baby in any way are other major factors, I'm sure. These are traits that are unique to the "what makes a sim a sim" experience and because they are missing, babies can tend to seem lifeless and mechanical.

I would like to submit, your honor, that in this context, baby being an 'object' is meant to equate a table, chair, lamp, bed or any other 'object' thusly named in the game, and not this highly technical, though interesting, explanation. Just sayin'. ;) In other words, the baby is below a Sim on said totem pole. It's just NOT a Sim, per se.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited August 2018
    I guess my humor got lost in translation. I know that babies and, all sims essentially, are objects. And I know it's not a new thing. I just thought it was funny that even now the game doesn't even try to hide that they are objects.

FYI... you can't appreciate toddlers, children, teens or so forth... only objects.. errr... babies.... :D:tongue:
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    SillyCharlieSillyCharlie Posts: 37 Member
    Let's be real here: Babies were treated as objects in ALL of the sims games, though some were more "alive" than others.
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    You often hear, "What makes you think babies in Sims 4 are objects?"

Well, how about the fact that even the game considers them objects?

eWoYJj7.png

Hh5h9Dw.png

Lol that's hilarious :joy:
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

I would like to submit, your honor, that in this context, baby being an 'object' is meant to equate a table, chair, lamp, bed or any other 'object' thusly named in the game, and not this highly technical, though interesting, explanation. Just sayin'. ;) In other words, the baby is below a Sim on said totem pole. It's just NOT a Sim, per se.

Babies have always been objects though in the game files, that's the thing. It's one of the biggest reasons they aren't creatable in cas, and with good reason. Only difference is that item was portable in sims 3, although forever wrapped as a burrito.

Sims 3 and Sims 4 both did babies wrong IMO, sims 2 did it right.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    SimChessackSimChessack Posts: 182 Member

Here's the difference between a "code object" and an "in game object."

In code, yes, each Sim, each piece of clothing, each baby, each TV, is an "object."

But ask yourself, what the game calls something an object, are the other (toddler and older) Sims considered objects for the purpose of this activity?. That is, can you "Appreciate" another Sim? If not, then "object" in the context of the activity does not mean a "code object" but something more subtle -- i.e., the type of code object that is considered a "thing" and not a "person."

What the OP has provided is evidence that, mechanically in game, a baby is functionally equivalent to any other piece of furniture you could interact with, such as a TV, a painting easel, a bookshelf, or a potted plant. Consequently, the baby is fundamentally different, in terms of how the game views it, and how it is designed, from a Sim, which is not the same as a piece of furniture.
  • Options
    Kim5496Kim5496 Posts: 1,261 Member
    jimmysnan wrote: »
    In the other games we complained about babies just being left on the ground. We complained about them being left anywhere. So they solved the problem by having them stay in the crib.

I was just going to comment that I like this a lot better than seeing babies left all over in Sims3. I mean I wouldn't mind having a little more range within the home but it only lasts a few Sim days so I can deal.

• Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member

Here's the difference between a "code object" and an "in game object."

In code, yes, each Sim, each piece of clothing, each baby, each TV, is an "object."

But ask yourself, what the game calls something an object, are the other (toddler and older) Sims considered objects for the purpose of this activity?. That is, can you "Appreciate" another Sim? If not, then "object" in the context of the activity does not mean a "code object" but something more subtle -- i.e., the type of code object that is considered a "thing" and not a "person."

What the OP has provided is evidence that, mechanically in game, a baby is functionally equivalent to any other piece of furniture you could interact with, such as a TV, a painting easel, a bookshelf, or a potted plant. Consequently, the baby is fundamentally different, in terms of how the game views it, and how it is designed, from a Sim, which is not the same as a piece of furniture.

That's actually wrong if you look at the game code though. Babies are defined in a subfolder of Sims, they have Sims attribute, Baby is one of the value allowed for a Sims object age, and the Sims objects have functions defining how they they should be treated when their age is baby.

So mechanically in game, a baby is a specific stage of a Sims, with a different set of rules, and it's absolutely not equivalent to a TV.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I would love to be able to take a baby out in a stroller to the park. I miss TS2 days when you could bathe them in the sink and actually see their eye colors and facial expressions. We should also be able to change the clothing they are wearing.

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    In past Sims games, you used the moveobjects cheat code to move babies. They have always been programmed as "objects". But the Sims don't seem too bothered by it :p

In past sims games you could move any sim as an object with that cheat, so that's a poor way of differentiating the two. TS4 was simply the first to remove that for proper sims (a terrible idea but for a different complaint thread)
    Let's be real here: Babies were treated as objects in ALL of the sims games, though some were more "alive" than others.

No they weren't. They were treated as non-playable household members in TS2 and actual, fully-selectable sims in TS3. Especially in TS3, you could pose them with Pose Player and drag them into CAS with a mod (even if all you could really do was change outfits).
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Are we really back at this again? four years later?
    Yes, babies are "furniture" (all Sims are objects).
    We know.

Also, it's great that if you hurry and age them up the second they come from the hospital, all their needs are green and you get rid of them quickly.
    ...No, I am not a baby person. Why do you ask?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    Are we really back at this again? four years later?
    Yes, babies are "furniture" (all Sims are objects).
    We know.

Also, it's great that if you hurry and age them up the second they come from the hospital, all their needs are green and you get rid of them quickly.
    ...No, I am not a baby person. Why do you ask?

This. We've been discussing this topic since release.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg