Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Good Computer For Sims 3?

I've been browsing Back to School sales for a computer upgrade, and was wondering if these specs were good for a gaming computer to run Sims 3 on. If there's not enough info to say for sure, I'm sorry, this is the only info I could get (it's from Amazon).

0OpP4ii.jpg
I voted for you, Kevin.
640?cb=20100910030718
My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
My Blog // Click me if you dare.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited August 2018
    The game will run but with integrated graphics you will likely be limited to low to medium graphics settings in game options and Pets and Seasons, the heaviest hitting of the EPs (possibly IP and ITF as well) may be too much for it. There will be other limitations and I have to question if that model has sufficient cooling for the game.

With all EPs and if higher end graphics settings are required, the game practically demands a dedicated graphics card. That would be an Nvidia GTX 1050 or higher (1050Ti, 1060, etc.) on the currently being sold product lines, or the AMD equivalent, not the Intels. Older cards are fine too if they are strong enough, but they don't tend to sell new systems with older cards in them. Afraid you will need to up the ante a bit on the price if you can, not astronomically but more in the $600+ range on desktops.

This one for example hits all the right notes even though it's hard drive is "only" 1 TB and I'm seeing others recommend this product line. I would prefer its cousin with the 1060 card, but this is the one that's currently on sale in the $600s (that I can see).
    https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-ArchAngel-Gaming-Computer-Quad-Core/dp/B077QDM2DP/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

Solid State Drives (SSDs) are great too, TS3 does benefit from them, but getting one of sufficient size (at least 512 MB) on which to run the game and not just Windows tends to drive the price tag up further.

Our resident shopping expert should also weigh in.
    @phoebebebe13
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited August 2018
    @igazor chester recommends having a Ryzen 1400 processor and up on desktop. @MoonandStars83 are you wanting a desktop or a laptop? What is your budget?
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    You could also opt for a custom built tower pc if you have the know-how to choose good components. I personally don't, but my husband does and I have benefitted greatly from it, so if you know anyone...

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I'm kind of on a budget. I liked that one because it was under $500 and I might have been able to justify it. I also need USB ports since it will also be used as a family/general use computer, and since I tend to download cc/mods on my lunch hour at work.

@Nindigo Unfortunately, custom-built PCs are out my range. Thanks, though.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    @MoonandStars83 $500 is not going to get you a computer that will run this whole game. CC and mods will also add to the game. Desktop average is around $700 and up. Laptop around $800 and up but you might get one cheaper if there is a sale. You need a computer with gaming hardware that meets requirements and they will be more expensive than a computer designed for general use. The laptop you posed is for general use and not for running 3d games
    @phoebebebe13 Well, that's just not cool. I'll keep looking, I guess, and hope the dinosaur doesn't completely bork in the meantime. Thanks anyway.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
  • xteamppxteampp Posts: 16 Member
    Everything is good until you say integrated graphics. The game, even though it´s been released long ago, tends to use a lot of GPU power.

I run it at 1920x1080, maxed out, without lag, using a GTX 760. However, I don´t own the expansion packs and I have tweaked stuff here and there to improve perfomance.
    @phoebebebe13 Well, that's just not cool. I'll keep looking, I guess, and hope the dinosaur doesn't completely bork in the meantime. Thanks anyway.

@MoonandStars83 I found a dell laptop on amazon that meets requirements it's $666. Can you up your budget a little? I may be able to find you a desktop around the same price on Walmart. Years ago when the sims 3 came out you had to pay a few thousand dollars for a computer that met requirements. computer's have come down in price since then
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    xteampp wrote:
    The game, even though it´s been released long ago, tends to use a lot of GPU power.
    I remember reading somewhere that The Sims 3 was never made to run on any existing system. It was a humorous take on it, of course, but it contained a grain of truth, I think :D

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

@phoebebebe13 I do understand that computers have gone way down in price. I think we paid more for our first computer than we did for the most recent one. I am, however, also on an almost nonexistent budget. I probably won't even be able to buy right now, and may try again around Black Friday/Christmas when the prices go down again. I do appreciate all the help, though, and would love to finally get a system that can handle the game.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    @MoonandStars83 When your ready to buy, just come back and ask. someone can help you find a computer.
    @phoebebebe13 Ah, the subtle difference between 'ready to buy' and 'am able to justify the expense'. I do appreciate all the help though.

*hugs to all*
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio