Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to banish the ugly townies off of The Sims franchise for all eternity + More customization

KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
Since the devs are talking about updating the CAS lately, i wanted to say some things and share an idea that could help us correct the most hated townies and add more customization to the game.
In said update they would add an option for us to create our own Styled Looks. We would dress our sims, add accesories, put make up on them and then save the Look. Then we are prompted to give the look a new, to associate a trait to the Styled Look (i will explain that later) and then ask if we want to share the Styled Look in the gallery.
The game then would only generate townies dressign them in the Styled Looks that we already have in the game, or the ones we created (unless we have selected to not allow townies to dress some of the styled looks when we created them, this option would show up when giving the look a name and a trait).
But, why did we have to associate a trait to the Styled Look? It is simple. Why we are just going to solve the ugly townies when we can even make them better?!
When you created a Styled Look, and you associated the Evil trait to that look, all the townies that have the Evil trait will prefer to dress in that Styled Look instead of other look that wouldnt match their personalities.
In future Packs, if they added a "asian" world they could add a hidden trait that would associate asian style looks to that trait. Or if they added witches, a hidden witch trait would be associated to the magic styled looks. If they added tratis like "Heavy Metal Lover", then they would dress up as a heavy metal lover would dress up in real life.
Karon wrote: »
Guys, i am not talking about the premade families... I am talking about that game generated sims that wear the most weird combinations of clothes. I dont know why, but every thread i see someone complaining about them, and i always agree that they could look less weird and more realsitic. I am not talking about "looking perfect", i am talking about looking realistic. Thats why i suggested the trait system to the styled looks, to make the gam generated sims look like what their traits are... I am also in the groupo of people that dont like how sims 4 tends to mimic the "perfect world" where everyone is "beautiful and fashionable", but those game generated sims are too wonky. I want them to look like poor people, rich and tacky people, fashionable people, boho people, rock and roll people, punk rock people... Thats what i am talking about...

DOpX_OJVwAAs2bP.jpg:large
This is what a "Madonna Fan" trait would do to your townies that had it.
Post edited by Karon on

Comments

• FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Or they could just pre-create townies for each world like in TS2 and TS3 or have a pool of pre-created townies instead of them being all randomly created and weird without real backstory like how it is currently in TS4
    a256aFi.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    The game is set to generate townies to fill postions like mixologist, food stall vendors, etc., as well as "co-workers" for Sims in the rabbit hole jobs. I find that just a quick makeover of hair and clothing make most townies presentable -- and you don't really want a town where everyont is perfect looking because that would get boring.

MCCC Dresser module allows players to "blacklist" certain items so they don't show up on townies but I think they'll still be available in CAS to use. I've never used it but I'm thinking of playing around with it to test it, maybe on a copy of my current save.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Look at it this way, hideous townies exist to make your CAS sims look great.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    The game is set to generate townies to fill postions like mixologist, food stall vendors, etc., as well as "co-workers" for Sims in the rabbit hole jobs. I find that just a quick makeover of hair and clothing make most townies presentable -- and you don't really want a town where everyont is perfect looking because that would get boring.

MCCC Dresser module allows players to "blacklist" certain items so they don't show up on townies but I think they'll still be available in CAS to use. I've never used it but I'm thinking of playing around with it to test it, maybe on a copy of my current save.

Thats why i included the "set trait" thing for the styled looks. They are not going to look perfect, they are going to look like what their personalities are. If one of the townies had artist traits, he would be walking around like a painter would be dressed,
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    Townies are almost fine in my game... I see far worse in real life.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    I don't seem to have much of this problem. All my townies seem to be Sims that I have already added to the game.

I created my neighbourhoods first, filled all the houses with my favourite Sims families, rigorously got rid of all Sims that Maxis had put in their family gallery in game and found that my Sims - and some I allowed to stay, were filling the game roles of mixologist etc., Mrs Pancake turned up as a mixologist for example and all other roles taken by family members I hadn't found jobs yet. One new Sim made friends of all the Sims who past her gate when moving in and all of them were living in my houses.

This has come after the four years of playing the game, making dozens of families and houses and making sure that I evicted any Maxis families that seemed to find my builds irresistible. I move in one family and five move in around them without my permission? No way!

I have a limit of 200 Sims so I suppose that they do have to fill those roles when the limit is nearly reached by me.
    edited August 2018
    @FreezerBunnyCowplant
    Maybe that could work, but in sims 3 those pre-created townies die at some point, and then the game will generate random sims. The pre-created sims pool from sims 2 could work, but the problem i am pointing here is not their genetics. Their appearences usually looks okay, but their clothes are awful. I mean, there are tacky people in the real world, but EVERYONE?! urgh

@stilljustme2
    I dont want to lose time giving makeover to townies. This is not why i bought this game.

@Simburian @Siliclone
    Guys, i am not talking about the premade families... I am tlakign about that game generated sims that wear the most weird combinations of clothes. I dont know why, but every thread i see someone complaining about them, and i always agree that they could look less weird and more realsitic. I am not talking about "looking perfect", i am talking about looking realistic. Thats why i suggested the trait system to the styled looks, to make the gam generated sims look like what their traits are... I am also in the groupo of people that dont like how sims 4 tends to mimic the "perfect world" where everyone is "beautiful and fashionable", but those game generated sims are too wonky. I want them to look like poor people, rich and tacky people, fashionable people, boho people, rock and roll people, punk rock people... Thats what i am talking about...
    @Siliclone As I said I don't get many townies, if at all because I fill the worlds with my own Sims from the start, nearly up to my allowed limit.
    Simburian wrote: »
    @Siliclone As I said I don't get many townies, if at all because I fill the worlds with my own Sims from the start, nearly up to my allowed limit.

But they dont die off and get replaced for game generated townies?
  • SillyCharlieSillyCharlie Posts: 37 Member
    I don't care about the townies looking like trash. If my sim ends up becoming friends or romantically involved with one I just give them a quick makeover.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Since the devs are talking about updating the CAS lately, i wanted to say some things and share an idea that could help us correct the most hated townies and add more customization to the game.
    In said update they would add an option for us to create our own Styled Looks. We would dress our sims, add accesories, put make up on them and then save the Look. Then we are prompted to give the look a new, to associate a trait to the Styled Look (i will explain that later) and then ask if we want to share the Styled Look in the gallery.
    The game then would only generate townies dressign them in the Styled Looks that we already have in the game, or the ones we created (unless we have selected to not allow townies to dress some of the styled looks when we created them, this option would show up when giving the look a name and a trait).
    But, why did we have to associate a trait to the Styled Look? It is simple. Why we are just going to solve the ugly townies when we can even make them better?!
    When you created a Styled Look, and you associated the Evil trait to that look, all the townies that have the Evil trait will prefer to dress in that Styled Look instead of other look that wouldnt match their personalities.
    In future Packs, if they added a "asian" world they could add a hidden trait that would associate asian style looks to that trait. Or if they added witches, a hidden witch trait would be associated to the magic styled looks. If they added tratis like "Heavy Metal Lover", then they would dress up as a heavy metal lover would dress up in real life.
    Guys, i am not talking about the premade families... I am talking about that game generated sims that wear the most weird combinations of hats agoodlothes. I dont know why, but every thread i see someone complaining about them, and i always agree that they could look less weird and more realsitic. I am not talking about "looking perfect", i am talking about looking realistic. Thats why i suggested the trait system to the styled looks, to make the gam generated sims look like what their traits are... I am also in the groupo of people that dont like how sims 4 tends to mimic the "perfect world" where everyone is "beautiful and fashionable", but those game generated sims are too wonky. I want them to look like poor people, rich and tacky people, fashionable people, boho people, rock and roll people, punk rock people... Thats what i am talking about...

DOpX_OJVwAAs2bP.jpg:large
    This is what a "Madonna Fan" trait would do to your townies that had it.

thats a good idea
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    edited August 2018
    As much as I hate townies, what you're suggesting is part of the problem. The game keeps generating ethnic sims now, with certain clothes designated for them to wear. So you end up with many similar looking sims, because the choices are so shallow. Same with rain outfits, vampire outfits, festival outfits...you'd need twenty different clothing choices for each trait to keep variety.

What we need more than anything is some control over the numbers and who are all these generated sims. Right now I literally have demolished EVERY building on every lot in every world (turning them all into empty residential) except for Willow Creek (it's just an experiment for this play through with seasons). So I only have a park, 4 nightclubs, a library, and a gym for commercial lots. Yet the game has STILL managed to find reasons to generate 70 unasked for random sims. What we should be able to do is just add a certain number of adult homeless townies, either creating them or downloading them off the gallery, and that should be enough for the game to use. But the game always still insists on creating more. IF I had ten nightclubs, that doesn't mean I need three bartenders and two djs for each. I'd rather see the same handful at different clubs than 50 new random sims. San Myshuno is even worse, creating sim after sim to fill the streets...why can't the Landgraabs and sims I've put in homes wander by instead? Someone actually made a mod that uses sims this way for the most part, and it works perfectly fine. 100 sims overall should be more than enough for the game to function if programmed right, but now, there doesn't seem to be any number that stops the game from making more.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    edited August 2018
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    As much as I hate townies, what you're suggesting is part of the problem. The game keeps generating ethnic sims now, with certain clothes designated for them to wear. So you end up with many similar looking sims, because the choices are so shallow. Same with rain outfits, vampire outfits, festival outfits...you'd need twenty different clothing choices for each trait to keep variety.

What we need more than anything is some control over the numbers and who are all these generated sims. Right now I literally have demolished EVERY building on every lot in every world (turning them all into empty residential) except for Willow Creek (it's just an experiment for this play through with seasons). So I only have a park, 4 nightclubs, a library, and a gym for commercial lots. Yet the game has STILL managed to find reasons to generate 70 unasked for random sims. What we should be able to do is just add a certain number of adult homeless townies, either creating them or downloading them off the gallery, and that should be enough for the game to use. But the game always still insists on creating more. IF I had ten nightclubs, that doesn't mean I need three bartenders and two djs for each. I'd rather see the same handful at different clubs than 50 new random sims. San Myshuno is even worse, creating sim after sim to fill the streets...why can't the Landgraabs and sims I've put in homes wander by instead? Someone actually made a mod that uses sims this way for the most part, and it works perfectly fine. 100 sims overall should be more than enough for the game to function if programmed right, but now, there doesn't seem to be any number that stops the game from making more.

I agree with this. Settings to choose how many townies you want (excluding job roles that are necessary) would help quite a bit.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

Yeah, i agree that we should have more ocntrol over our games. But i have seen some devs saying that they prefer to add new features in gameplay than adding "toggles". I think i saw them saying that when Vampires where released and people were arguing why we dont have the options to turn vampires, aliens and ghosts off.
    In a game franchise that was once about customization, its really hard to understando those things. EA probably cut the money and they dont have enough time to create "toggles" or they would have give up new gameplay features.
    citysimmer wrote: »

I agree with this. Settings to choose how many townies you want (excluding job roles that are necessary) would help quite a bit.

I have seen a mod where it stops most of the game townie generation and it only leaves the important ones. I never used it, but its seems that the game still uses "those" to generate more sims than needed. Maybe the only solution would be adding premade townies. IDK.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,500 Member
    This is a very old, ancient axiom, but true. Beauty (or lack thereof) is in the Eye of the Beholder. Beauty is very subjective. What I find beautiful or ugly, may not be to your very same standards. What I find fashionable, you may find atrocious, and vice versa. Also, I wouldn't equate loving "Heavy Metal" to an actual personality trait. That should come under the generic Music Lover, for instance. I think the Trait system needs an overhaul. Some people are SHY, yet we have no Trait for that. Some people are QUIET (which isn't the same thing as shy) yet we having nothing for that.

As to your point, while you posit some very good ideas, trying to keep that odd-looking or odd-acting Sim out of your neighborhood is troubling to me. This is the very heart of diversity, some espouse we need more of. I would much rather explore why the Elder woman dresses so very strangely and has forty cats on her lot. She is merely Eccentric. Another trait that has been overlooked. Maybe she's so poor she not only digs in trash cans for her food, but she snags bits of clothing where she can find it and that results in her strange style.

Again, what is beautiful to some isn't necessarily beautiful to all. I like the variety of Sims in my game. And I have, as yet, to come across one whose looks, and/or personal style, make me flee from my computer in distress. I guess I really do love all People — and Sims. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Or they could just pre-create townies for each world like in TS2 and TS3 or have a pool of pre-created townies instead of them being all randomly created and weird without real backstory like how it is currently in TS4

I would truly despise that. It's enough that we have pre-mades. I wouldn't want to keep seeing the same sims over & over. TS3 was like that with the NPCs.

Yeah, i agree that we should have more ocntrol over our games. But i have seen some devs saying that they prefer to add new features in gameplay than adding "toggles". I think i saw them saying that when Vampires where released and people were arguing why we dont have the options to turn vampires, aliens and ghosts off.
    In a game franchise that was once about customization, its really hard to understando those things. EA probably cut the money and they dont have enough time to create "toggles" or they would have give up new gameplay features.

I exercised my "option". I simply didn't purchase that Game Pack. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php

The thing is... I like to play with vampires sometimes, but sometimes i Just like tô pretend that the live in a realístic world without anyone Supernatural being.
    Above that I also liked the objects and the world from the Vampires GP. You know what i mean?!
    And, i agree with you... The traits system needs anexo overhaul... Its kinda weak. Some traits até tô black or white and some of them doestn even have a opposite trait.

The thing is... I like to play with vampires sometimes, but sometimes i Just like tô pretend that the live in a realístic world without anyone Supernatural being.
    Above that I also liked the objects and the world from the Vampires GP. You know what i mean?!
    And, i agree with you... The traits system needs anexo overhaul... Its kinda weak. Some traits até tô black or white and some of them doestn even have a opposite trait.

I'm all about choice in a game. I preferred to not purchase the Supernatural pack in Sims3, and although we already had vampires running around in out towns, previously, I could easily avoid them. I do realize many like them and so be it. (I wouldn't want to stand in another player's way of having fun. Which is why I was grateful in Sims3 and now 4, that I could avoid the issue by simply not making said purchase. Yeah, I missed out on having the rocking chair many of us wanted, but after the Zombies went out-of-control, I was definitely glad of the choice I made.
    :)
  • catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    It generates way more than is needed and keeps going. We just don't need that many. If I didn't delete them I'd have a hundred of them.
    catitude5 wrote: »
    It generates way more than is needed and keeps going. We just don't need that many. If I didn't delete them I'd have a hundred of them.

Yep, i hate to be manually changing them/deleting them. Like, i dont have enough time to play my game already!
    edited August 2018
    I'm not talking about pre-made families. You just have to do the preliminary work of filling all the available lots with your own families to the limit that you are allowed. Takes a lot of work but I don't have the vast problems others seem to have. Just kill off/evict all those you don't want first thing. Large families don't often leave empty lots for townies to move into.
  • librarianjanelibrarianjane Posts: 11 New Member
    I do wish there was a way we could create our own styled clothing, though my biggest issue with the townies is their all being dressed the same. I go in fairly frequently to clean up my own households because I'm tired of that same City Living crop top/skirt combo.
    I do wish there was a way we could create our own styled clothing, though my biggest issue with the townies is their all being dressed the same. I go in fairly frequently to clean up my own households because I'm tired of that same City Living crop top/skirt combo.

I think the problem would be solved if the styled looks were related to traits our sism have, cuz we could always save more and more styled looks, the game would have a huge variety of clothing to choose from.