Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

18, 20 or 21 for the big birthday?

I know it may seem like a minor, even silly thing. Sims don’t super have specific ages anyway.
But I was wondering -especially for the purposes of Sim Lit- whether you think 18, 20 or 21 years is best/most realistic for the big leaving school, coming of age, transition from teen to young adult.

18, 20 or 21 for the big birthday? 113 votes

18 Years
62%
Akl500PBluegayleicmnfrshGalacticGalPinkPaws66IceyJaprilroseVibseMaryVannasimbsimelanorbretonMariefoxprice83ZidienPaigeisin5loubyloulouladybreidLadyTigressirishluck1986LustianiciaChelleJo 71 votes
20 Years
15%
Frn0731StrangerthanThunderbat87Bagoas77JennyggFroilSerendipity38Lex2221xxritaaaaaaaxxMaggieMarleyx_Always_Heart_xKathykinsAdoriyahMrMonty96PlumDiddyLairaDrakosEvalyn326 18 votes
21 Years
21%
GoldmoldarKita5399AlexaiColorist40Writin_RegCorkysPetalssimgirl1010slamondaVuloripinkknight06PegasysSimplyToriayyitsmellfiercephoenix91catmando830paige_emilyyVentusMattsimtoriousOtoyoNindessa 24 votes

Comments

• So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    18 Years
    This is a tough one to pin down. Probably 18 or 19 or whenever the sim leaves for college - if they choose that route. If 19 were an option I would have chosen that since that's also the legal drinking age most places here in Canada.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    20 Years
    I just keep simple. Teen's are teens so when they become young adults they are turning 20 in my world.
  • NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,894 Member
    That’s interesting @So_Money. Here in New Zealand, our legal drinking age was 20 and got lowered to 18. We used to have big coming of age parties at 21, and I guess some still do; but 18 seems to be edging it out now. That’s kind of where my categories came from and I could consider adding 19.

Cheers @Drakos. I considered this too.
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited August 2018
    18 Years
    I choose 18 because that's the only way I know it. Here in Germany, you're a legal adult at the age of 18.
    NRowe wrote: »
    That’s interesting @So_Money. Here in New Zealand, our legal drinking age was 20 and got lowered to 18. We used to have big coming of age parties at 21, and I guess some still do; but 18 seems to be edging it out now. That’s kind of where my categories came from and I could consider adding 19.

Cheers @Drakos. I considered this too.

I think Germany must be one of the countries with the lowest legal drinking age. You can drink nearly everything alcoholic (besides the really strong stuff) at age 16 (sometimes even 14 when accompanied by an adult).
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • PlumDiddyPlumDiddy Posts: 551 Member
    20 Years
    Drakos wrote: »
    I just keep simple. Teen's are teens so when they become young adults they are turning 20 in my world.

Same
    Is it just me, or would it be easier to make it 18, if we had the option for College or University?
  • brittmspaceballsbrittmspaceballs Posts: 21 Member
    18 Years
    18 is the voting age in the US but 21 is the drinking age so I think either of those make the most sense. It's interesting to hear the differences in other countries though. I love that Germany's legal drinking age is several years younger than the driving age. Makes so much more sense for young adults to figure out alcohol first, then cars instead of the other way around. Just one of the many examples of things we do wrong in my country.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    21 Years
    I say 21 because in past Sims games my sims went directly from high School to college. So they are in my head they are 21/22 - and ready to start life on their own. I play that way - hoping eventually there is a University for my Sim to go to. My sims just bide their time not getting married or families or Career type jobs waiting for University. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    18 Years
    NRowe wrote: »
    I know it may seem like a minor, even silly thing. Sims don’t super have specific ages anyway.
    But I was wondering -especially for the purposes of Sim Lit- whether you think 18, 20 or 21 years is best/most realistic for the big leaving school, coming of age, transition from teen to young adult.

My teen- shown in avatar- is 8 days from becoming a teen, but I pretend she'd just turned 17.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • foxx_fennecfoxx_fennec Posts: 761 Member
    18 Years
    18, because that’s when they leave high school.
    Origin ID: foxx-fennec
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    20 Years
    They are ceasing to be a teenager - which to me, includes the ages of 18 and 19. Plus, the little description you get when a Sim becomes a young adult and you have to choose a trait for them talks about how exciting your twenties are, which implies it is the birthday sim’s twentieth birthday:

Young adulthood: Lifelong responsibilities, burgeoning careers and vast horizons await. Whoever said their 20’s aren’t a blast?

It’s true that here in England (and I think in most other Western countries) you’re legally an adult at 18. But then again, in different countries you reach legal adulthood at different ages - I believe in Scotland you are considered an adult for legal purposes and can leave school at 16. And, South Korea has only recently lowered the age of legal adulthood from 20 to 19. Perhaps in whatever universe Sims is set in, 20 is the age of majority and sims stay in school until 20?

Alternatively, you could say that because time passes more quickly in the Sims, a sim is 18 when they leave school for the last time, but 20 when they age up to a young adult later. This could work if your teen had their last day of school on a Friday and aged up on the Sunday. Probably not if they aged up straight after school on the Friday, though.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    18 Years
    I chose 18 because at that age high school is finished and is when the decision to go to college or find a job is made. And if at eighteen one is considered eligible to join the military, vote, marry, own a firearm or purchase alcohol they have the right to be called an adult.
    Thanks for the comments.
    I’d love to get a few more votes on this!
  • OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    21 Years
    18 is the legal age of adult hood in many countries, but I picked 21 cause I feel like it takes a bit for someone to be able to move out on their own. So I imagine an 18 year old would get a job or go to school, save up if possible, and then move out. So I personally image YA age in sims as in their 20s
  • ami123ami123 Posts: 32 Member
    18 Years
    I would definitely say 18 because that is the age you finish school
  • ZidienZidien Posts: 11 New Member
    18 Years
    I voted 18, because it's the age officially recognized for young adults here in most EU countries. So it's normal for me.
  • lexus20lexus20 Posts: 1,302 Member
    edited August 2018
    18 Years
    18, because that's the legal age you are considered an adult and you're allowed to have a driver's license (you have to wait 2 extra years compared to the US) or drink (3 years earlier compared to the US) in my country. 21 is not really an special age here because you're already considered an adult at 18.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    18 Years
    Since the Federal Government gave us the right to sign contracts and vote at the age of 18, that's the beginning of YA to me.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    18 Years
    I say 18, just because that's when high school ends
  • AdoriyahAdoriyah Posts: 156 Member
    20 Years

Not a popular opinion, or maybe not really acknowledged as anything special, but 20 is the day you are no longer a teenager.
    My Sims 4 Gallery
    Origin ID: Adoriyah
  • chozobochozobo Posts: 40 Member
    18 Years
    For me, YAs are from 18 on. Drinking age here in germany is 16 for some beverages, and with 18, you're good to go with high alcohol percentage beverages, can vote, etc. It just seems weird to me that they'd be anything else than 18. xD
  • xxritaaaaaaaxxxxritaaaaaaaxx Posts: 31 Member
    20 Years
    I think teens are until 18-20, I would consider YAs 20+. I see a YA as 20+ yo, and not a 18yo, however I don't really see a 19 yo being a teen :/
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,184 Member
    18 Years
    Legal adult in Canada at 18. Can't drink till 19 but you can vote. Hmm maybe that is a good thing. In my day it was 21 to legally drink. I remember it well. My uncle bought me a bottle of champagne to celebrate. However I was pregnant at the time so i got gingerale while the rest of the family 'celebrated"..
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    18 Years
    They are ceasing to be a teenager - which to me, includes the ages of 18 and 19. Plus, the little description you get when a Sim becomes a young adult and you have to choose a trait for them talks about how exciting your twenties are, which implies it is the birthday sim’s twentieth birthday
    Using that logic, they should be able to leave school before ageing up.

It’s true that here in England (and I think in most other Western countries) you’re legally an adult at 18. But then again, in different countries you reach legal adulthood at different ages - I believe in Scotland you are considered an adult for legal purposes and can leave school at 16.
    In Australia it used to depend on what state you live in, as to what age you can leave school, In the early 2000's in WA, NT and ACT it was 15, and for the rest for the country, it's as of your 17th birthday. Now it's as of 17 for the entire country.
    You can leave school, but you're not an adult

Personally I think 18 makes sense as being when sims become young adults.
    It's how it is in real life for most of the western world.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif