Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Monthly livestream, are they essentials for you ?

Comments

• Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    I don't know
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    @Writin_Reg @BrokenChaos69

I don't think the things would be different if SimGuruDrake was still here.

The Sims Studio changed their way to release the pack, as they explain some quarters will get no paid content.

We don't know why they change it but the reasons could be :
    • wait for Console team
    • improve and fix the game
    • release less Stuff Packs

The studio isn't erratic, when they do something it's always for good reasons.

I follow everything to do with the devs, Maxis, and the game - so it does not matter to me. I was just answering another simmer. But the sneak peek was SG Drakes idea. Before her we had the Q & A's. There were blogs before that. There was meet the devs and even another round of Q & A's.

I always enjoy what ever form of sharing they do. I like info direct from the ones who make the game. I don't find fault when they are at least trying. I like seeing them on twitter or the forum. Not an issue. In fact I cannot understand when anyone has issues with getting info - but to each their own. LOL.
    And you may (enjoy whatever form of sharing they do) but others may have different opinions about that. They may not enjoy whatever form of sharing. That is not the same as finding fault, the poll question was if you find it essential and some do not find this form essential.

And I believe I covered that in my reply by stating in MY Opinion as well my reply "but to each their own". I should not have to further elaborate on my opinion. I just know it makes me a bit crazy when the devs tell us something - we repeat it here and get a "Proof" tossed in our faces from people who say they don't want to know what the devs have to say but they want us to repeat it and link it as proof. So then they read it anyway. That bugs me - when all they had to do was look at it themselves to start with. If they really don't want to know then why ask for proof - is my point?
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    Nope.

I don't need that level of contact. My needs are very simple -- please provide a game that's fun and it works. Do those two things and I'd be throwing my money at you. There'd be no need to woo me with...extras. :D

I remember the days of TS2. All I got was a little flyer in the current EP. It told me what was coming down the line, roughly when it was coming, and I was fine with that.

EA is now using Twitter, Twitch, and goodness knows what else. However, it doesn't need to be that complicated. It really doesn't. Just one word of what you're working on is enough.

EA's secrecy is what is creating the perceived communication issues. They had a live stream today and the gurus still couldn't give all the deets on what they're working on. ::sigh:: I don't see how monthly streams with "We can't tell you right now, but it's going to be good", are going to help.

Yes!! This is exactly how I feel.

Get used to it. It's not EA that makes the laws regarding Public Companies. You want to understand Securities, insider trading etc, etc - well it is up to you to look into those laws. EA just has to enforce it. If The devs say things that violate those rules like what they are working on even - before it is ready to be made public - it breaks those laws - no matter what the project is - period. I won't get deep into it.

People argue, well it's just a video game - what should it matter - but that's just it - it matters equally - the law does not separate whether it is just a video game or the next big maybe even world changing rocket engine. The rules change when a company becomes a public company and is a part of the Stock market - regardless of what their product was/is.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    No

The Sims Studio changed their way to release the pack, as they explain some quarters will get no paid content.

• wait for Console team

I follow everything to do with the devs, Maxis, and the game - so it does not matter to me. I was just answering another simmer. But the sneak peek was SG Drakes idea. Before her we had the Q & A's. There were blogs before that. There was meet the devs and even another round of Q & A's.

I always enjoy what ever form of sharing they do. I like info direct from the ones who make the game. I don't find fault when they are at least trying. I like seeing them on twitter or the forum. Not an issue. In fact I cannot understand when anyone has issues with getting info - but to each their own. LOL.
    And you may (enjoy whatever form of sharing they do) but others may have different opinions about that. They may not enjoy whatever form of sharing. That is not the same as finding fault, the poll question was if you find it essential and some do not find this form essential.

And I believe I covered that in my reply by stating MY Opinion as well my reply "but to each their own". I should not have to further elaborate on my opinion. I just know it makes me a bit crazy when the devs tell us something - we repeat it here and get a "Proof" tossed in our faces from people who say they don't want to know what the devs have to say but they want us to repeat it as proof. That bugs me - when all they had to do was look at it themselves to start with. If they really don't want to know then why ask for proof - is my point?
    I can't speak for others, but I believe for many simmers it's a question of "we don't just want you to communicate about anything and sort of say nothing, that's not what we mean." The difference might be that you are clearly totally happy with the game the way it is now, so as a satisfied customer you are just happy with every extra they bring in (believe me, I know what that's like and it's a happy place ;)). It's not like that for many other simmers though so they'll approach this in a different way.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    I don't know

• wait for Console team

And I believe I covered that in my reply by stating MY Opinion as well my reply "but to each their own". I should not have to further elaborate on my opinion. I just know it makes me a bit crazy when the devs tell us something - we repeat it here and get a "Proof" tossed in our faces from people who say they don't want to know what the devs have to say but they want us to repeat it as proof. That bugs me - when all they had to do was look at it themselves to start with. If they really don't want to know then why ask for proof - is my point?
    I can't speak for others, but I believe for many simmers it's a question of "we don't just want you to communicate about anything and sort of say nothing, that's not what we mean." The difference might be that you are clearly totally happy with the game the way it is now, so as a satisfied customer you are just happy with every extra they bring in (believe me, I know what that's like and it's a happy place ;)). It's not like that for many other simmers though so they'll approach this in a different way.

That is not true. My stanch has not changed as far as wanting to be in the know - all the time- and people here know darn well I spent the first two years of Sims 4 purely hating the game. Never the less - I still followed everything and still wanted to know - seeing then I wanted to know when things that made me so unhappy with the game was going to change. So because I am happy now - do not believe for a minute my view has changed as far as learning what I can.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited August 2018
    No
    The only communication I care about is knowing what's coming out next, and when they're going to fix the bugs!
  • Options
    SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    No
    Thinking about it, I want to see a gameplay in the spice market lot, the one with the balcony. I want to see how long does it take for them to throw the pc out of the window after all the complaining/things getting broken/ friends hangout/visiting neighbour every sims day, several times a day.
  • Options
    Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    No
    EA_Mage wrote: »
    Folks, how about we see what these streams will be like before we make any judgment :)

SimGurus are trying to communicate with the community more and trying out different ways to do it.

Let's give them a chance, please :smile:

EXACTLY!!!! How can anyone judge the unknown? I am very interested in engaging with the devs. People who are not are not obligated - but to me it sounds like an opportunity as well as the devs really trying to reach out. Besides they made the game - and who knows maybe you'll see something in this opportunity you may have missed. Plus with them playing - they may see issues they miss when testing - if they play much like we do.

There is definitely a benefit for devs to actually see an unplanned issue jump up and bite them - like players see - so it makes getting a fix that much quicker.

I voted I don't know seeing I don't know something that has not happened yet. Why view the opportunity as negative before we've even engaged in this manor?

I am with EA Mage on this - for sure and look forward to these.

I don't watch streams. I don't listen to podcast. When it comes to games or cooking or whatnot, I rarely watch videos. I have absolutely ZERO interest in those things. My kids do. They're 10. Me? I'd rather READ the information, without all the unnecessary chatter, which would take me 1/5th of the same time, and be done with it. It's probably a generation thing, and clearly I'm not the target audience anymore.

I really don't have to wait to judge. It's not something that interests me. Give me a newsletter.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No
    I don't think gurus need to do live streams unless they are showing off new content. As a player of games I don't need to know, see or hear from developers. All I want to see is the new stuff on a leaflet, a TV ad, an internet ad, or a store ad. End of story. I don't need to get to know gurus, I'm sure they are lovely people..gamers care about games, not interviews.
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    Yes
    Here's a thought, why not make some serious bugfixes and have livestreams where you prove the fixes are working? Could win some of the lost trust back.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Yes
    It's better than 3 months of silence.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    I do not see the livestreams as essential. The only two I have ever watched gave me very negative impressions of certain gurus, so I opt to no longer watch any livestreams. I also know that I am no longer their target audience, as proof of what has been implemented within the game the last few years.
  • Options
    ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I don't know
    I can't say for sure, but I doubt it. Even as a person without Twitter or Twitch, I (and anyone for than matter) can easily find new information here, so they're definitely not essential unless for whatever reason they decide to stream something and not post that same information here.
  • Options
    DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    No
    no way. I don't have time to watch them. I'd rather have a concise summary of updates without the humor, which is often just cringe worthy.

I also think the devs have better things to do with paid time than fake play the game,
    like, you know,
    working on it.
  • Options
    NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    I don't know
    I can't vote yes or no, as I've never watched a livestream before. But any sort of communication is good, I guess.
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I don't think gurus need to do live streams unless they are showing off new content. As a player of games I don't need to know, see or hear from developers. All I want to see is the new stuff on a leaflet, a TV ad, an internet ad, or a store ad. End of story. I don't need to get to know gurus, I'm sure they are lovely people..gamers care about games, not interviews.

This with bells on.

And I say that married to a game developer. Funnily enough he wouldn’t want to do live streams etc because in his mind it would take away time he actually has to work. It’s a very different fan base though and their expectations are different. There are a bunch of games I’m waiting for this year. I don’t need constant contact from the dev teams. I’ve had trailers and I’m happy. But then I have faith in the the teams to deliver, perhaps that’s the difference. I’m sure the sims 4 devs are great, but what I care about is the proof in the pudding, not scripted answers.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    edited August 2018
    No
    CK213 wrote: »

It is literally the same. With streams, there will be no silence but no new info either. Basically, a filler.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

It is literally the same. With streams, there will be no silence but no new info either. Basically, a filler.
    I agree. I have no idea by the way how much work doing a livestream is, but I’d say it does take some preperation? My experience in my own job is, that every little thing you think will take ‘five minutes’ often takes you much much more than those ‘five minutes’. And if devs are doing that, it simply means they are spending work hours on something other than developing the game. To be honest I don’t quite understand why they don’t ask a ‘gamechanger’ to do this. They know in advance what's coming anyway don’t they? Give it to them and let them do the livestream.

I’d rather have three months of silence and then something great, than three months of livestreams showing uninteresting stuff (like ‘look how the gallery works - as if you didn’t know that already - and how we messed it up for you guys’).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I don't know
    Personally I am glad many of you are not making the decisions - is all I can say.

I am glad that those of us interested can see and talk with the devs and those of you not interested can chose not to watch.

Options is always a good thing - and I am glad we have them in this. But as far as being essential - I would say no seeing the game has existed without them all these years fine - but no way to know for sure without trying it a while. I see it mainly as a positive step away from the silence.

And no Game changers do not get that info either - no one outside the studio gets that info until the studio is ready to announce or show it. The only thing they get early is the pack coming out - which we all know is coming by the time they get it.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    No
    Personally I am glad many of you are not making the decisions - is all I can say.

I am glad that those of us interested can see and talk with the devs and those of you not interested can chose not to watch.

Options is always a good thing - and I am glad we have them in this. But as far as being essential - I would say no seeing the game has existed without them all these years fine - but no way to know for sure without trying it a while. I see it mainly as a positive step away from the silence.

And no Game changers do not get that info either - no one outside the studio gets that info until the studio is ready to announce or show it. The only thing they get early is the pack coming out - which we all know is coming by the time they get it.

Actually that’s not true, a very reliable game changer and very trusted one at that admitted she knew pets was coming a year before it was and she had been playing seasons a year before it came out. So no some game changers do get information ahead of time.
  • Options
    No
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »

I agree. I have no idea by the way how much work doing a livestream is, but I’d say it does take some preperation? My experience in my own job is, that every little thing you think will take ‘five minutes’ often takes you much much more than those ‘five minutes’. And if devs are doing that, it simply means they are spending work hours on something other than developing the game. To be honest I don’t quite understand why they don’t ask a ‘gamechanger’ to do this. They know in advance what's coming anyway don’t they? Give it to them and let them do the livestream.

I’d rather have three months of silence and then something great, than three months of livestreams showing uninteresting stuff (like ‘look how the gallery works - as if you didn’t know that already - and how we messed it up for you guys’).

From watching someone who live streams regularly as part of her job - she works for PlayStation, she says a stream can take a while to set up in terms of the tech side of making sure everything is ready to go not to mention getting the game ready to a point where it’s playable (For example if she is only allowed to show a certain amount of game play footage and more ofthen than not she is doing that part in her own time) I don’t imagine the sims 4 streams are too different.
  • Options
    No
    I presume the devs don’t have to spend time on the technical part of a live stream, but they’ll have to spend time deciding what they will want to show and how. It just takes time for them and that is not ‘optional’, regardless whether I decide to watch it as a simmer or not. That time will be spent on something that to me seems useless. Doesn’t mean it is useless but it is to me. I highly regret lots of simmers here aren’t the ones making decisions for this franchise by the way. The ones that share my opinions B)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sikasika18sikasika18 Posts: 343 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yes
    I presume the devs don’t have to spend time on the technical part of a live stream, but they’ll have to spend time deciding what they will want to show and how. It just takes time for them and that is not ‘optional’, regardless whether I decide to watch it as a simmer or not. That time will be spent on something that to me seems useless. Doesn’t mean it is useless but it is to me. I highly regret lots of simmers here aren’t the ones making decisions for this franchise by the way. The ones that share my opinions B)

The game would be in a better state if some of the simmers were in charge, hell the franshise would be on a whole new level. I am getting tired of fans that kiss their behinds ALL the time. The same goes for their precious youtubers as well, only LGR is honest nowadays and if there weren't posts like yours for time to time on this forum I would pull my hair out lol.

Btw I accidentaly voted yes. Meant no because I have no interest in watching the gurus scroll the camera away from bugs in a stream.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    I don't know
    I have not watched them, at least not this year. If I'm busy with my game, I rather play than watching a stream, but if I have a period with less gaming, I think watching a stream might be inspiring. So, glad they are there, and while some don't watch, others do :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    No
    I have not watched them, at least not this year. If I'm busy with my game, I rather play than watching a stream, but if I have a period with less gaming, I think watching a stream might be inspiring. So, glad they are there, and while some don't watch, others do :)
    Hence the ‘for you’ part in the question.
    (I’d like to point that out before we get this strange vibe here as if people with an opinion about what implies to them personally are trying to speak for others)
    5JZ57S6.png