Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

need opinion on this, please

2...Next

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    Just heard rumours from a rep. in a store that there will be a new Intel 9000 series machine which will have a terabyte SSD coming at the end of the year. Probably expensive though but would suit a Sims 5!

@Simburian In the USA you can get a custom laptop for around $1000 with a 500 gb ssd plus a 1 tb hdd. This is also with having a good processor, video card and enough ram to run this game. Not all games take advantage of an ssd. If you play TS3 a 500 gb ssd is ideal

No announcement on a TS5. If they do make a TS5 it will be issued years from now and hardware will have changed by then . They make new hardware every year

@phoebebebe13 Our prices in the uk are so much higher than in the USA that I envy you all. I've recently bought an Omen with a 1060 card at a decent price and that could play Sims 4 at Ultra but I play safe at High and get good play from it. It is upgradeable apparently.

I did fork out for a tiny 14" laptop to travelling with, with a Geforce MX130 card, (Intel 8500) 8 Gig Ram and 256 SSD. It's still got 117 Gig left after installing Sims 4 but only want to use it for building so will that be ok? The SSD card does make starting the game up much, much faster by comparison with my Omen but I don't want to overheat it. Is it best to use on low settings?

@Simburian UK prices are not far behind USA. UK and USA have the most options offered for gaming computers compared to other countries. the prices are around the same with currency conversion. HP anywhere is overpriced. We try to advise people to come in tech and we can help people find computers before buying so you don't buy and overpriced or under-powered computer. Your HP could also have a slower HDD hard drive. Running this game on a 7200 HDD as opposed to SDD does not make a difference in the sims 4. Several of us have run tests . All of us that have run tests have more expensive SSD

The MX130 card is a low end card and not for running games like the sims. I would keep that laptop on low or play in windowed mode so you don't stress out the laptop. Own a laptop cooler if you don't own one. 256 gb is ok as long as you leave at least 50 gb free space

Thanks @phoebebebe13 I buy my laptops from J Lewis in the UK as I have their Partnership card and can pay off over a few months. They have the lowest APR here and if anything goes wrong I can take it back (short bus ride) rather than posting, though I've never, ever had anything go wrong with any HP I've bought before from them. This one was £250 off. The small one was £100 off and playing Sims just a possibility but I wanted one with a video card. It's a question of trust of supplier with me and having to keep an eye out for shared building expenses which need instant cash payments.

(Paid off my last buy 4 years ago with a free 0% credit transfer offer from my bank which meant I just paid off £!00 a month with no interest over 17 months)! Then cut the card up.

@Simburian I don't know lewis's off hand. There are allot better gaming computer choices than HP. UK really does have many options like the USA. Those of us who help in tech don't usually recommend HP because they are over priced, they give you generic cheaper hardware. Their cases don't have the best cooling which gaming hardware needs . Your case size, cooling and hardware are all important. You want a gaming computer with a good roomy case, lots of fans or liquid cooling, room for upgrades and switching out hardware etc so the computer does not become a throw away computer over time .

This Omen is supposed to have better cooling it seems but I haven't tried it to the limit.

I'm afraid that when I look round a store I am subject to impulse buying and the John Lewis motto "never knowingly undersold" They apparently will repay the difference but I've never tried taking them on! I only play Sims games slowly and - otherwise - ones that don't need speed or power. I'm set for the next 3 or 4 years hopefully. It's only Sims 3 that bust my Acer years ago. I do get free coffee and cakes and vouchers when overall shopping adds up. John Lewis is a huge concern with a Royal Warrant and if, maybe, you get to London, Edinburgh or several cities in the uk where they are, sometime, it's a nice place to have a coffee!

It should last you a while. Next time you buy a computer years down the line and your gaming, I would suggest looking into other computers. You do have much better options than HP .
    I appreciate everyone's help and feedback on here. This is a learning experience for me, and I'm so glad that there are people here on the forum willing to help and educate people like me who lack knowledge in computers.

I decided to go with building my own desktop. After looking at the options in my area, it seems like there is not much difference in cost between pre-built desktops vs a custom one. By building my own, I would at least get to individually select each component. To clarify, the game should be able to run on HDD? If I get a 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD, I would want to run the OS on the SSD and everything else, including SIMS 4, on HDD? Would you advise 'recycling' an old SSD? To save a little on cost, someone suggested to take out the SSD (which is 250GB) in my old laptop to install on the new desktop. I was also advised that extra cooling devices aren't necessary (aside from the case fans and stock fans). Would you agree?

ask @chesterbigbird to help you with a part picker list. She can help you pick out hardware, case and cooling within your budget. Did you post your budget somewhere? I forget. I'm not looking at the whole thread
  • mikamakimonmikamakimon Posts: 470 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I appreciate everyone's help and feedback on here. This is a learning experience for me, and I'm so glad that there are people here on the forum willing to help and educate people like me who lack knowledge in computers.

I decided to go with building my own desktop. After looking at the options in my area, it seems like there is not much difference in cost between pre-built desktops vs a custom one. By building my own, I would at least get to individually select each component. To clarify, the game should be able to run on HDD? If I get a 1TB HDD and 250 GB SSD, I would want to run the OS on the SSD and everything else, including SIMS 4, on HDD? Would you advise 'recycling' an old SSD? To save a little on cost, someone suggested to take out the SSD (which is 250GB) in my old laptop to install on the new desktop. I was also advised that extra cooling devices aren't necessary (aside from the case fans and stock fans). Would you agree?

Depending on the company you may void your warranty and If you are not too much knowledgeable or comfortable with computers I would let an professional do it if you go that route.

Someone will be helping me :) Given the amount of money involved, I would never attempt this on my own!
    ask @chesterbigbird to help you with a part picker list. She can help you pick out hardware, case and cooling within your budget. Did you post your budget somewhere? I forget. I'm not looking at the whole thread [/quote]

Going by the specs on the link given by chesterbigbird and other info given, I have most of the parts picked out already. I think my previous post was about extra cooling/reusing an old SSD. I'll come back here if I have more questions. Thank you!
  • 1Urban_Simmer1Urban_Simmer Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm a huge simmer and have been playing since sims bustin' out. I recently got a new laptop around this time last year, its an Acer Aspire ES 15, the specs are:

Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Intel Core i3-7100U CPU @2.40 Ghz
    8.0GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 620 up to 4158 MB Dynamic Video Memory
    1000 GB HDD

The settings in my game are all on low and I play with laptop mode on, post processing effects and uncompressed sim textures off. My Resolution is set at the highest it can go in full screen, my refresh rate is set to default and V-sync is on. I also have all EP's, GP's, SP's and free content installed.

So my question is, is the game worth playing with the information i provided, and what kind of damage can i cause to my PC By playing? Also, how can I speed up my game? I am playing with scripts mods/cc but its very minimal and even playing the game vanilla its a bit slow
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    @mikamakimon You should be able to reuse the laptop SSD for a desktop. I suggest formatting it for the desktop. Backup any info on it you want to save and place that somewhere else like a flash drive first. You can purchase Windows 10 copy for when you format it... or track down the serial code for the OS but if it's an OEM copy, you will need a new copy of Windows. Newer hardware may conflict with an older version of Windows so keep that in mind.

It's absolutely worth it to purchase a CPU cooler. Air cooling is fine if you don't plan on overclocking. Make sure the case has at least one exhaust fan and one intake fan. Stock fans that come with cases are sometimes cheap but those can be replaced later to save cash.

The Sims 4 loading screens are not long enough to truly benefit from an SSD and it would be a waste on a smaller SSD.

pcpartpicker is a great website to help you put together a part list and it will let you know if anything is not compatible or won't fit together. The site also includes a helpful forum. Feel free to PM chesterbigbird.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    @mikamakimon You should be able to reuse the laptop SSD for a desktop. I suggest formatting it for the desktop. Backup any info on it you want to save and place that somewhere else like a flash drive first. You can purchase Windows 10 copy for when you format it... or track down the serial code for the OS but if it's an OEM copy, you will need a new copy of Windows. Newer hardware may conflict with an older version of Windows so keep that in mind.

It's absolutely worth it to purchase a CPU cooler. Air cooling is fine if you don't plan on overclocking. Make sure the case has at least one exhaust fan and one intake fan. Stock fans that come with cases are sometimes cheap but those can be replaced later to save cash.

The Sims 4 loading screens are not long enough to truly benefit from an SSD and it would be a waste on a smaller SSD.

pcpartpicker is a great website to help you put together a part list and it will let you know if anything is not compatible or won't fit together. The site also includes a helpful forum. Feel free to PM chesterbigbird.

Thanks, SimplyJen, this is very helpful. I have most of the parts already but out of curiosity, I just double-checked them on pcpartpicker and all parts are compatible. Good to know about being able to reuse my old SSD. I hoped to get one with a larger capacity, but I guess that can be upgraded at a later time. Since my old laptop was still on windows 7, I did end up purchasing windows 10.

I'll look into getting a cooler in the future as well. The guy in the store actually advised that I didn't need extra cooling (suprising!) but now having read into it more, there doesn't seem to be any disadvantages to installing one, aside from cost. This item is actually pretty affordable in comparison to the other computer components.

Thanks again!
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I'm a huge simmer and have been playing since sims bustin' out. I recently got a new laptop around this time last year, its an Acer Aspire ES 15, the specs are:

Windows 10 (64 bit)
    Intel Core i3-7100U CPU @2.40 Ghz
    8.0GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics 620 up to 4158 MB Dynamic Video Memory
    1000 GB HDD

The settings in my game are all on low and I play with laptop mode on, post processing effects and uncompressed sim textures off. My Resolution is set at the highest it can go in full screen, my refresh rate is set to default and V-sync is on. I also have all EP's, GP's, SP's and free content installed.

So my question is, is the game worth playing with the information i provided, and what kind of damage can i cause to my PC By playing? Also, how can I speed up my game? I am playing with scripts mods/cc but its very minimal and even playing the game vanilla its a bit slow

Your laptop is not designed to run 3d games like the sims. Pushing it to run this game could do permanent damage to the laptop. You should not be running the highest resolution. Your laptop is way below requirements to run the game.

You can't change processor or video card in a laptop you are stuck with the specs you buy. Your only option would be to invest in a computer that meets requirements to run the game should you not have another computer to play on that meets requirements