Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    You may use base game materials only!

Is this a suggestion or a requirement?
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Just to clarify... I deselected all the EPs and SPs, so only the base game loaded. Are store items and cc allowed or not?
  • Options
    merryeplmerryepl Posts: 4 New Member
    oh wow i wish i could have participated on this if i had the sims 3 a long while ago
  • Options
    BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    You may use base game materials only!

Is this a suggestion or a requirement?

Requirement :)
    ciane wrote: »
    Just to clarify... I deselected all the EPs and SPs, so only the base game loaded. Are store items and cc allowed or not?

No store items or CC allowed. Only the items that came with the original game.
    GArBA5W.jpg
  • Options
    I really like the challenge of this one!
  • Options
    creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    @buildnshare So this would logically also need to be built in the base town, yes?

Does anyone know of a simple way to 'deactivate' store content?
  • Options
    @buildnshare So this would logically also need to be built in the base town, yes?

Does anyone know of a simple way to 'deactivate' store content?

There is a space in the launcher you can click that says run without CC and I think that gets rid of store content too.
  • Options
    @aricarai Oh awesome, thank you! I've seen it but I didn't know it did that :)
  • Options
    I guess technically Riverview is a store world, so yeah, Sunset Valley.
  • Options
    @aricarai Oh awesome, thank you! I've seen it but I didn't know it did that :)

Ooor if you create a new Sims 3 folder (by renaming your old Sims 3 folder), which I've just done, it won't have any of your Store content in this new "save." Then if you ever wanted to do no store content builds, easy peasy @creativemetaphor
  • Options
    @aricarai but doesnt it still load worlds?
  • Options
    No, @creativemetaphor. Renaming your sims 3 folder makes a new virgin folder with nothing in it when you load your game.
  • Options
    KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member
    edited August 2018

ciane wrote: »
    No, @creativemetaphor. Renaming your sims 3 folder makes a new virgin folder with nothing in it when you load your game.

Mine loads certain worlds, not all of them but some of them.

There is a work around though. In buy mode, right under the down arrow that expands the catalog is an asterisk. Click the asterick and sort buy Sims 3 items. It will only show base game items in the catalog when you do that.
  • Options
    @ciane yeah when I force the game to remake the folder, it loads some of my store worlds. Good work around though, @kgaff! I'll give it a try!
  • Options
    edited August 2018

@aricarai but doesnt it still load worlds?

I don't think mine did as I was super shocked to see the start menu with only like 5 or 6 worlds @creativemetaphor! Eeps!
  • Options
    @aricarai (also, nice to see you again!!) Mine loaded so fast last night! But my options are so tiny now! :lol: Got a bit of a start, but already thinking of changing it.
  • Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    Base game only was sounding depressing to me, but I woke up this morning with an idea for a family running through my head, so I guess I'm in. :D
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    @aricarai (also, nice to see you again!!) Mine loaded so fast last night! But my options are so tiny now! :lol: Got a bit of a start, but already thinking of changing it.

Nice to see you too @creativemetaphor - I'm still around :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I wonder if it makes a difference if you are on patch 1.67 or 1.69 and whether you go through the launcher to launch your game or not. Does it make a difference if you restart your computer after renaming the old sims 3 folder? How strange that it would load a world without the world installed in that folder! Are you sure it isn't just advertising worlds to buy? I had Hidden Springs and another show in the list, but clicking on it only brought up the you can buy this (because I am not on-line to play my game. I'm on the 1.67 patch and not tied to Origin.)

I've finished mine. It's probably too sparse for clutter-minded simmers, but, of course, I'm a minimalist!

Here's a link to the lot, if you want to see what I did:
    https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9239674

Even though it's only only one story, the fireplace must count as a second story and I got extra pictures this time around!
    Post edited by ciane on
  • Options
    Getting on rather well despite half of what I go to look for isn't there! :lol: But I'm actually surprised how close I can get with some other options. Definitely gonna be pushing the budget on this one to make it happen, though :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #205 - Back to Basics
    NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: Anything But Basic - no cc (Sim-made art was replaced by game art)

LINK TO MEDIA: Anything But Basic

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 30x20, Custom placed Sunset Valley, Final cost 72,093
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: more coming soon

There were several inspirations for this build - I had hoped to do a hobbit-style house but the limitations on lot size made that difficult to fit the extra bedrooms in on the main level. I wanted to really push myself to do an traditional cottage without the help of additional content from expansions or stores. But I also wanted it to have an old world elegance rather than a purely rustic feel. In the end, I imagined the new owners made a loving renovation of an old house, wanting to keep true to the original feel.

The main floor is buried in the hillside, only the front face is fully exposed, with two small depressions on the sides for additional windows for the kitchen and master bath. Out front are both flower and vegetable gardens to enjoy, as well as a telescope for exploring the stars.

Inside has a traditional entry hallway which is open to the living and beyond to the dining giving both a more open feel and yet keeping the rooms defined. The kitchen was left more rustic with the original stone walls but was updated with indoor plumbing! ;) The other rooms were heavily inspired by Victorian era decor, colors, and patterns. The bathrooms have retained their original charm with claw-foot tubs

The study offers a quiet place for reading and art, and the powder room was added for the convenience of guests. Upstairs belongs to the children with two bedrooms and a shared bath.

Throughout, the home has been decorated almost exclusively with self-made art from the easel. (art cost included in cost of build)

- The Basic Family -

Salina Basic is a self-made artist, and earns money selling her paintings. She is a perfectionist and loves the outdoors. She's also a vegetarian, which is one of the things that makes her wife perfect for her!

Kayla Basic is an avid gardener and cook, and is quite handy around the house. Even so, she still loves to read and expand her mind. She and Salina enjoy games of chess together.

Lakshmi is the eldest child, and though she is easily impressed she is also a perfectionist. One of her favorite past times is gazing through the telescope. She loves indie music and french toast!

Lianne is the younger child, and is the athletic one of the family. She is quite the little daredevil and is always up to something. She loves the color blue.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    exterior-1.jpg
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Also, here is as far as I got on the Dream Office challenge - A360 Architects. I didn't finish, as you'll see, but the 'special' thing I had been working on and trying so hard to finish was to have pictures of builds I've done as the decor on the walls! So I loaded a bunch of old builds and took my architect on a grand photo tour! I didn't even get started on the break room, but I did get all those photos on the walls! :) As well as a few sketches from the drafting table!
  • Options
    KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    edited August 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #205 - Back to Basics
    NAME: Kesminlix
    LINK TO LOT: The Augusta
    LINK TO MEDIA: Photo Album
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    LEVEL: Intermediate (because I used MOO and actually CASt. I still feel like a noob when it comes to building though :D )
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20x30 18 Maywood Lane (Sunset Valley) $73,946
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: A small family home furnished for 2 adults, a teen girl and a toddler (likely boy as the room is blue, but it really could be gender neutral). There is also a "big kids" bed in the toddler room for when the toddler ages up (or you could shove grandma in there when she comes to visit :D ). The garage has room for 1 car and 2 bicycles. There are also harvestable plants on the sides of the backyard as well as the back left corner of the yard.
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: No
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: No CC. Basegame only. However, I did base it off of this floorplan.
    TWITTER TAG: kessiesims
    SPACE FOR PICTURES:
    useP4e0.jpg
    7Z2Hsev.jpg
    Post edited by Kesminlix on
  • Options
    Pretty house with nice landscaping @Kesminlix.

Cozy looking house with lots of flowering bushes, @creativemetaphor. I especially like the name!

I like them both and am off to rec them now.
  • Options
    @Kesminlix What a lovely home! Really like your color choices :)

@ciane thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top