Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is the game too soft for you?

Comments

• FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2018
    YES!
    I had a bit of a "shock" just a little while ago. I'm playing a homeless teen who got caught in a lightning storm. He wouldn't stay in his tent and kept getting out of the tent to run to nowhere and he got zapped by lightning twice in a row and he died. I was really surprised when Grim turned up. I thought they only got the glowy eyes from getting hit twice, but he actually died. I felt terrible, but thankfully I had saved just a few minutes before so I quit and reloaded. I didn't want him to die, it was pretty sad. I love that kid! When I reloaded, he got struck a couple times again and got the glowy eyes. I didn't realize that they could die from lightning strikes, I thought I read that it was confirmed they didn't. Learned something new today!
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    YES!
    It's not too soft for me, I would say it's too easy. Too easy to get a promotion, too easy to make money, too easy to raise skills.. I mean there are cheats to raise founds, the game doesn't need to be so easy on these things. The emotion system is another thing that makes the game so easy.. it's easy enough to manipulate the emotion and get inspired without the need to make doing a dish on high skills inspiring. Once you have a Sim on high cooking skill you can be sure he will always be confident or inspired.
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    YES!
    Sims 4 is like playing a 1950's family show like "Leave it to Beaver" or the like. It's to safe, nothing happens, and they've taken the fun out of everything.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    YES!
    Now you've said that, we'll probably have it patched in where couples have to sleep in separate single beds. :D
  • Laura_JonesLaura_Jones Posts: 485 Member
    YES!
    They could at least make it so when you "Ask to just be friends" with someone who you have a full romance bar with, they wouldn't just be all like "Oh, okay cool. Seeya later!" and then keep calling you and coming over! If that really happened in real life, that person would be considered a stalker and you'd need a restraining order. And when you tell people to leave, they don't lose any relationship points with you, they just feign surprise and leave. So it's nearly impossible to get someone to leave you alone, unless you resort to violence or being an 🐸🐸🐸🐸, which I don't like to do cause it's not how my sims are as people.
  • FloralWaterFloralWater Posts: 14 New Member
    I'm not sure yet.
    I'm kind of in between. I do want the game to be more challenging and lively, but I don't think that means more ways for our sims to die because It's pretty easy to kill them off if you think about it (in my eyes anyways). But some of the smaller things like natural disasters, robberies, small things like that..
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2018
    YES!
    Do you know a good story without drama? Without Evil? I do not. Whenever the story is good, there must be something with which the main hero is fighting, the obstacles that must be overcome ... What are the stories of those who choose "NO"?

I do not need the deaths of children or pets, but I do not understand what the TS4 disease is when they have no effect. I just ignore them and nothing, absolutely nothing will happen!

There's a charity, a soup for the poor, but where are the poor in TS4?

Your post basically describes the experience that I expect from a Sims game. In life, there's more to live for than the next promotion or learning a new skill. There's so much more. However, TS4 Sims don't care. No matter what befalls them, it's all roses. If it isn't, never fear, they can simply walk into another room and it will be.

I wish that TS4 would explore more regarding: individual fulfillment or failure based on traits and aspiration; interpersonal relationships that can be rewarding, frustrating, or toxic; and unexpected monkey wrenches that can suddenly throw plans off track, toward disaster or toward an even more rewarding experience that could not have been foreseen otherwise.

Ruining the lawn furniture whenever it rains is NOT the answer!

Every day with TS4 is the same old grind with very little to break up the monotony. Parenthood made a minor scratch on the surface, but TS4 needs to go so much deeper.

The OP uses the word "soft". My description of the game is superficial. Nothing matters.

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    no the sims4 is perfect like it is
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    YES!
    I consider it relaxing. After a hour of say Far Cry 5 I really enjoy the Sims.

I play that too! It's so relaxing to park her in town and log into sims. But don't you wish we had weapons? LOL
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited August 2018
    No, absolutely not.
    I went back and forth on how to vote, but some of the 'softness' I appreciate. I like that pets can only die of old age, because you can't directly control them, and frankly the idea of having dogs and cats die due to dumb AI upsets me much more than, say, a dumb vampire calling my sim for a date and immediately bursting into flame when the lot loads because whoops, they had no vampiric energy.

I get upset enough at the NPC pets being sick and dirty and exhausted enough as it is, having strays die in the winter death zone would be way too much.

That said, it IS too hard to die sometimes, and it makes letting a sim die from those things feel crueler. Like the poison in Jungle Adventure takes WAY too long in the second stage, etc. I prefer bad luck murdering one of my sims to me sitting there and going 'well, I COULD fix that, but I'm not going to, because ?reasons?.'
    Yes, which is why I voted for the Dangerous Stuff pack when we had the option, but alas we ended up with... Laundry. How Laundry does rock my game lol.

I voted for Dangerous too, but on reflection I think that could be a better Game Pack.
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!
    Absolutely. But I am much older than the target audience The Sims team designed it for.
    Personally I think TS2 struck a perfect balance of age appropriateness without being too child-like.
    2UFyFUV.png

• GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,452 Member
    YES!
    vikixc wrote: »
    Absolutely. But I am much older than the target audience The Sims team designed it for.
    Personally I think TS2 struck a perfect balance of age appropriateness without being too child-like.

I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, am an older player. Didn't get started until 2005. My two eldest children were already grown and one married.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    YES!
    vikixc wrote: »

I couldn't agree with you more. I, too, am an older player. Didn't get started until 2005. My two eldest children were already grown and one married.

I'm not quite there yet :smiley: I can't even find a man to take me seriously enough :lol:
    But I started playing TS1 at my cousins house when it was first released I must've been around 10 years old. I never had my own PC until I was around 17, so my parents used to rent me The Sims Bustin' Out and TS2 & TS2 Pets on the PS2 from Blockbusters, until they bought them for me one Christmas.

When I first got my own PC, I bought TS2 and later bought TS3, I couldn't run TS3 I remember hours of torment trying to get the thing to work, I clearly recall the water being black because my PC was so under the min requirements :smile: but I played for many hours with TS2. I was able to play TS3 once my brother donated his old PC to me.

I'm 27 in a few months, time flies. :#
    2UFyFUV.png

• JaseJase Posts: 2,147 Member
    YES!
    I really enjoy playing TS4; however, I also feel the game itself is way too soft when compared to it's predecessors. Things are a bit too perfect and I would like to see a little more of the unexpected that would happen in TS2/TS3.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    I am never a deviant player in a Sims game.

If I am in the rare mood where I want to kill things - well I go play a different game.

To be honest I play the Sims to escape cruelties of real life - it is my Utopia and a place not like the real world. There are deviate game play by the boat loads everywhere - and not any shortage in the world of gaming - just as there are many silly and very childish games out there mainly for youngsters - but the Sims is mature enough for players of all ages to be entertained with out running around blowing up every thing and every character.

I can build a dream - try a different kind of career or life without the need or desire to wipe out everyone on my screen.

I don't call that too soft - I call that entertainment I enjoy - goals I have fun getting my sims too - watching a single sim start at the bottom and climb to the top of his or her dream creating sometimes a dynasty in their wake, and watching the family grow from one sim to many generations.

To me that is just enjoyable.

I have all those other kinds of games - I just hardly ever play them. But the Sims is truly one of a kind to me - and I sort of like each one of the Sims series for what each one offers.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• TheNestTheNest Posts: 117 Member
    edited August 2018
    YES!
    For me, some of the more absurd exclusions in TS4 make it seem soft. Babies, toddlers, and children going poof when they get neglected (presumably via The Social Workinator 9001), instead of an actual Social Worker NPC coming to your house to take the neglected children away, is one example. The more obvious exclusions, i.e. no Burglars, also don't help either.
  • OtoyoOtoyo Posts: 698 Member
    YES!
    Nindigo wrote: »
    To all of you who vote 'yes' - are you sure you're playing the right game? Can't help but wonder...

Part of being on the forum is asking questions and getting different answers. What you are implying is not fair and a bit rude. Everyone plays differently, to suggest it is "not right" just cause we disagree isn't constructive or adding to this conversation.

Back on topic, I sometimes feel like my choices aren't as meaningful because some of the content is watered down. I don't want my Sims suffering or dying left and right, but it does feel a bit 'soft' sometimes. I wish the interactions felt a bit more genuine, but its hard to do when Sims are friendly to everyone constantly.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    YES!
    I would like to open this subject and see different opinions on this matter.
    I do think the game is too soft and I know they didnt go with T rating (even though in the past it wasnt either, but way more cruel and real.. they probably got complaints :p), because they want to attract a wider audience and get more caching out of it, but some things break a game and are worth more in other ways.
    I still remember all the panic among the gurus (then called “maxoids” instead) in the old Sims 2 forum when the ESRB considered to change the rating from T to M just because EA had added a cheat code that could remove the blur in the bathroom! They even threatened all the forum members with a ban if they wrote anything that could cause the ESRB to raise the rating to M even though I don’t think that the ESRB really would consider the forum at all!

So the T rating is extremely vital for EA and the reason obviously is that the game is generally most popular among 12 to 14 years olds who likely wouldn’t be allowed to play it at all if the ESRB increased the rating to M.

But times changes. EA originally thought that TS1 was targeted most at the boys who played SimCity. But already TS1 was instead most played by girls. So EA made TS2 softer than TS1 and TS3 and especially TS4 became even more soft.

The only thing that has changed is that EA is a little less careful about nakedness and the romantic content because the ESRB has changed too. But the T rating is still extremely vital for EA.

What I doubt though is that even 12 to 14 years old girls really want the game to be as soft, happy and easy as it has become? I think that EA is underestimating those very young simmers quite much because I am actually sure that they would like to be challenged more too.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    YES!
    Finvola wrote: »
    Now you've said that, we'll probably have it patched in where couples have to sleep in separate single beds. :D

And there are simmers who would LOVE that, believe it or not. Lol.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    YES!
    Yes, I understand that violence occurs in real life, but how many people actually witness/experience it first hand? Not a lot.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of 25 who hasn't witnessed or expierenced some form of violence in their life. I don't think many would reach 18 without having witnessed some form of violence. It happens at school, at home, on the street, at parties. It's a very real part of life.
    I honestly find it quite disturbing how so many people seem to want horrible things happening to their Sims...
    They're pixels. It's a game. I would much rather people take out aggression in a game, than take it out on the people around them.

I miss the grudges that sims would have in ts2
    When two sims didn't like each other, every interaction between them was mean. They'd argue, insult each other, slap each other, fight. It was great.

Or silly 'evil' stuff, like stealing candy from a baby
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO8VWssrdCY

jooxis wrote: »
    Also the makeout animation has become way too tame (I prefer the one from Sims 2 at least).
    Yes. I miss it terribly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S9XS1aSjSY

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    YES!
    It needs more of everything. I need to be challenged. Fires need to be CRAZY. Too many of my sims have caught fire and survived. In Sims 2 they would have been dead. We need burglars. I mean if a vampire can sneak into the house, how hard can it be to code the burglars? I am glad the bills are higher because of the thermostat. I want them even higher LOL. High end furniture and kitchen appliances should be like 10k or more in my opinion and other sims should be impressed by your expensive stuff LOL.

Honestly, if they pulled a lot of behavior from sims 2 it would be perfect.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    YES!
    I chose yes because Sims was chosen to be soft by design even though I hate the path that EA/Maxis took with Sims 4 it in it's purpose still fall in line as previous versions did. It adds some realism but not over the top realism. There are too many simulations that do have realism incorporated in their games
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GalaxyCat707GalaxyCat707 Posts: 72 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    It's not for me because, I like the balance of real and fictional aspects in the game. However, I do also agree that pets should have been given the life cycle, as sims have though. I tend to stick to casual and simulation genres of games, and sometimes RPGs. So for me, Sims is of the best genres of games that I like to play. It doesn't get boring, because of the amount of customisation options and the possibilities of every sim life you play with. Customisation is my favourite feature of the game, because it is endless! :)
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    YES!
    There's no consequences in this game. However, consequences are what make a game interesting...
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    No, absolutely not.
    Movotti wrote: »
    Yes, I understand that violence occurs in real life, but how many people actually witness/experience it first hand? Not a lot.
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone over the age of 25 who hasn't witnessed or expierenced some form of violence in their life. I don't think many would reach 18 without having witnessed some form of violence. It happens at school, at home, on the street, at parties. It's a very real part of life.
    I honestly find it quite disturbing how so many people seem to want horrible things happening to their Sims...
    They're pixels. It's a game. I would much rather people take out aggression in a game, than take it out on the people around them.

I miss the grudges that sims would have in ts2
    When two sims didn't like each other, every interaction between them was mean. They'd argue, insult each other, slap each other, fight. It was great.

Or silly 'evil' stuff, like stealing candy from a baby
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO8VWssrdCY

jooxis wrote: »
    Also the makeout animation has become way too tame (I prefer the one from Sims 2 at least).
    Yes. I miss it terribly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S9XS1aSjSY

The things you mentioned are great - very realistic. I was talking about killing sims or I really hated all the sims that hate children or even pets sometimes in earlier games and were downright mean to them. Granted I don't see that in Sims 4 in my own game - but I saw it a lot in Sims 2 and 3. But I have no problem if a sim royally makes another sim angry, or worse goes after their love interest right in your face - well yeah they deserve a punch in the nose - not a pat on the back or a smile and just keep chatting. I am human you know. LOL. But yes I'd be all for that - but on the other hand some hateful , mean sim yell at some little toddler and make them cry, or do something mean to some pet - I'm not going to like that.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....