Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery being sorted by "Popular Now" by default is a problem

Comments

• SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,912 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    verlainem wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I only spent a little time scrolling down the lots but now my cache is 26 Megabytes with 2,052 of thumbnail Gallery pictures. Keep clear of scrolling down and keep an eye on your cache is my advice.

Where is this cache? I have never checked my cache after looking at the gallery. I do tend to look on the website rather than through the game. More time to play and can look while at work lol

@verlainem I play on PC and my cache is in C:\Users\My name removed. your name will appear here instead\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 . If you right click cache and select properties in Windows, (that is) it will tell you how big it is. You can delete the contents from time to time if it gets too big.

PS: I've just been playing offline for a couple of hours and it is only 26.5 kilobytes so playing offline does make a difference for me.

Strange- it must be saving gallery thumbnails for some and not for others. I've never cleared my cache, and all of my cache files are empty even though I've scrolled through the gallery several times since the update.

What PC or Mac have you got? I'd like to turn them off getting in my cache file as jpgs and don't understand why it happens. (I use Windows 10 1803 update).
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    verlainem wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I only spent a little time scrolling down the lots but now my cache is 26 Megabytes with 2,052 of thumbnail Gallery pictures. Keep clear of scrolling down and keep an eye on your cache is my advice.

Where is this cache? I have never checked my cache after looking at the gallery. I do tend to look on the website rather than through the game. More time to play and can look while at work lol

@verlainem I play on PC and my cache is in C:\Users\My name removed. your name will appear here instead\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 4 . If you right click cache and select properties in Windows, (that is) it will tell you how big it is. You can delete the contents from time to time if it gets too big.

PS: I've just been playing offline for a couple of hours and it is only 26.5 kilobytes so playing offline does make a difference for me.

Strange- it must be saving gallery thumbnails for some and not for others. I've never cleared my cache, and all of my cache files are empty even though I've scrolled through the gallery several times since the update.

What PC or Mac have you got? I'd like to turn them off getting in my cache file as jpgs and don't understand why it happens. (I use Windows 10 1803 update).

I have a PC with Windows 10.
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    The gallery is a complete mess now. out of order and hashtags all say city living. i got 5000 downloads yesterday before it broke. only 30 today because it's not showing up at all on pop now. I am holding back and not uploading until they fix this! It's friday now, probably they knocked off early for the weekend, and they just don't care.
  • Artemisa02Artemisa02 Posts: 258 Member
    I think is because they don't know, is there anyway to contact one of the Guru's or any staff to check this out?, this is really important and more people are talking about that in social media.
    anime_girl_signature_by_marisascarlet-d480fmk.jpg
    My original ID @Artemisa02
    For more check out my blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/artemisa02
    Check my Workshop
    MY WORKSHOP BY ARTEMISA02
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    with the gallery being sorted by popular now it should at least be updated every day, if not a few times a day. Maybe they could sort posts the way Reddit does where after a posts likes slow down, it moves down the page to make room for more up and coming content. Would give the better newer builds more of a chance.
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    Artemisa02 wrote: »
    I think is because they don't know, is there anyway to contact one of the Guru's or any staff to check this out?, this is really important and more people are talking about that in social media.

If they don't know, that just proves my theory that the interface designer and the developer don't play the Sims.
  • SchnuckSchnuck Posts: 20 Member
    [quote="Smoothleaf86;c-16654832"] with the gallery being sorted by popular now it should at least be updated every day, if not a few times a day. Maybe they could sort posts the way Reddit does where after a posts likes slow down, it moves down the page to make room for more up and coming content. Would give the better newer builds more of a chance.[/quote]

They should just change it back to newest first, fix the perpetual sync/sorting problem, close any cheat loopholes, provide an option for creators to disallow re-upload (which would free up so much clutter) and MAINTAIN it regularly...These are the big issues, once they get that right they can re-design it because at this point the gallery makeover was just polishing a 🐸🐸🐸🐸.
  • SchnuckSchnuck Posts: 20 Member
    Polishing a PLUM? LOL yeah, that's not what I wrote, but hopefully most of you know the saying..
  • RedSunBluesRedSunBlues Posts: 143 Member
    edited August 2018
    Yeah I do agree with ya but sonething tells me they wanna keep it on popular now and if thats the case they should change what they consider popular. And NOW. Atm it should be called "popular a week ago"
  • Mandykay77Mandykay77 Posts: 21 Member
    > @Schnuck said:
    > [quote="Smoothleaf86;c-16654832"] with the gallery being sorted by popular now it should at least be updated every day, if not a few times a day. Maybe they could sort posts the way Reddit does where after a posts likes slow down, it moves down the page to make room for more up and coming content. Would give the better newer builds more of a chance.[/quote]
    >
    > They should just change it back to newest first, fix the perpetual sync/sorting problem, close any cheat loopholes, provide an option for creators to disallow re-upload (which would free up so much clutter) and MAINTAIN it regularly...These are the big issues, once they get that right they can re-design it because at this point the gallery makeover was just polishing a plum.

That would be a great idea Schnuck, having the option for us to choose if something can be reuploaded. Would work out great still for those who like to do challenges. Love it. Wish there was somewhere we could make these suggestions and know they are actually being seen by the right person/people. :(
    > @Smoothleaf86 said:
    > Yeah I do agree with ya but sonething tells me they wanna keep it on popular now and if thats the case they should change what they consider popular. And NOW. Atm it should be called "popular a week ago"

> @Smoothleaf86 said:
    > Yeah I do agree with ya but sonething tells me they wanna keep it on popular now and if thats the case they should change what they consider popular. And NOW. Atm it should be called "popular a week ago"

haha, so agree. Would have been nice for them to explain the theory behind it and how it was gonna work.
    > @Schnuck said:
    > Polishing a PLUM? LOL yeah, that's not what I wrote, but hopefully most of you know the saying..

Just tried polishing a plum … it didn't work out so well … just like the gallery, so yeah know what your saying. LOL
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Hi @Mandykay77 !! Love playing on your lots!!
    > @drake_mccarty said:
    > Hi @Mandykay77 !! Love playing on your lots!!

Thank you so much Drake_mccarty ! So nice to hear you enjoy them :)
  • chrissy123456789chrissy123456789 Posts: 11 New Member
    I agree that the "popular now" as the default is really not giving creators with not as many followers the downloads they used to get. When I upload a build it used to get around 20 downloads within the first two hours it was up, now it gets nothing because of the way the new gallery is set up. I mean I build things for myself, but I always love to see that other people enjoy them as well if by chance I decide to upload a build to the gallery. Now that no one sees them I feel like it defeats the purpose of uploading them to the gallery at all. Also, the "popular now" builds change only like once a day max, so I really don't understand how that could give us new content each time we open the gallery.
  • brenleedeebrenleedee Posts: 427 Member
    Really great to see some very popular builders, that could potentially benefit from this change, wanting to keep things as fair as possible. Hoping that maxis will understand how this switch didn't help, but hurt.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited August 2018
    I depend on the Gallery where it comes to houses because I’m not interested in building myself without the ability to customize. Fortunately for me many others don’t let that aspect stop them. I have a feeling however that when the game was still new, choosing ‘Maxis approved’ (or something like that) or ‘popular’ led to great quality. At one point however (still, my impression so if I’m mistaken there please let me know) choosing Maxis approved or popular didn’t necessarily provide that anymore. So I’ve started using google to find houses that are recommended based on their quality.

Anyway, my point, what does ‘popular’ and ‘Maxis approved’ mean, when it’s not “amazing and great quality”? Many followers, I get that, but I’d have thought people who build amazingly will get many followers? Or is there no connection? As a Gallery user more than a Gallery supplier I’m very interested in that.

P.s. If you have a list of favourite builders (going to check out @Mandykay77 ) please don’t hesitate to share :mrgreen:!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    edited August 2018
    @JoAnne65
    Acquiring followers requires patience and work, Who is follower? The player who downloaded your work and liked it so much that he wants to know if you sent something again because maybe he will be download it too.
    The new system primarily favors TouTube creators despite that their work is not often so great. But this is the silent layout - they advertise the game for free, and now they have been paid for this advertise. .
    P.S. I have near 3000 followers and I don't like this new system too. But business is business and no one will listen to our protests
    Post edited by kreatora on
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @kreatora Yes, I can see how frustrating this must be for people who like sharing their builds, hoping they will reach a broad audience based on customer’s satisfaction. From a Gallery consumer’s point of view this new set up isn’t interesting either. Basing things on popularity for simmers like me is only interesting when the popularity is based on quality, not on the creator’s status as a ‘gamechanger’. Because quite frankly, I couldn’t care less about that.

(checked out your account, love the blond guy, Elan Vimes!)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Anyway, my point, what does ‘popular’ and ‘Maxis approved’ mean, when it’s not “amazing and great quality”? Many followers, I get that, but I’d have thought people who build amazingly will get many followers? Or is there no connection? As a Gallery user more than a Gallery supplier I’m very interested in that.

Not everyone who makes great builds gets tons of followers automatically. I've seen quality builders who didn't have as many as you'd expect. The issue is that now the exposure is harder to get for players without an established follower-base who upload quality things, but don't get seen because the galley is sorted by "Popular Now". Several of us have seen evidence since the update that Newest was in fact one of the main ways people saw and downloaded your work, but now that the default is different and people don't bother to switch, not nearly as many are looking at the newer uploads.

And, another issue is that the things in Popular Now aren't changing very frequently since the update, because they just stay popular due to people continuing to download them since it's the first thing they see. I checked it twice a day apart, and I would say it stayed about 60-75% the same stuff.
  • LordkiribatiLordkiribati Posts: 201 Member
    Yes, besides being the new default tab, "popular now" is all messed up right now. Creations are not showing up in order (and some basically disappeared...). However, i'm sure they'll fix it, since from what i recall, this happened like 3-4 months ago and they fixed it! About the new popular default tab...not sure if they'll do something about it :(
  • GLovely1GLovely1 Posts: 797 Member
    I have read through this important issue, thank you @horseygirl24 for starting it. I was hoping to see some helpful explanation by one of the gurus or someone truly in "the know" about the methods to the madness of the gallery changes. Personally I will try to name the problems again and attempt to offer solutions and positivity. Having the popular now page set as default creates two major problems:

1. As the majority here states this change is a complete disservice to all creators both new and old. The gallery had many problems before this and my hope with these updates was for the changes to actually help the creative majority. Instead, this one change is ruining the creative majority. Maybe this is temporary since clearly the popular now section isn't even functioning correctly but I really don't see how any good can come from this change. Solution: seriously, please change it back to newest sort asap!

2. Unfortunately there is a hidden problem in the gallery that gives us all the ability to repeatedly add to our own creation download total or add to the download total of anyone in the gallery. Some simmers already use this trick to boost their creations up into the popular now section. EA is aware of this fact yet these new gallery changes have so far not corrected this serious problem. Now I fear this new set up with popular now as default will only encourage more of this self downloading action to become popular. Before this change we all had a reasonable chance to get seen on that page. We really aren't visible at all now. :s The popular now gallery system can't function fairly, responsibly or honestly if there are a minority of simmers willing to manipulate the download number for their own popularity gain. Solution: I think (I hope!) this issue is already on the table for a fix in the upcoming gallery changes but I would appreciate more simmers speaking up for this change especially now that EA is actively making a mess of the gallery with the hope of making it ultimately much better. Please contact anyone you know who can finally help right this wrong.

All that being said I also want to encourage everyone right now, new creator to high follower established creator, please, don't give up! Especially not right now in such turmoil and frustration. I have been for days now advocating for patience .. stay connected to why you all are truly here in the first place .. it is to create something beautiful that you love first and foremost .. then it is to share with all of your friends, followers & fans. We all need to stick together and support each other more in the days and weeks to come. The gallery is in a major transition right now and typically with all change things tend to get worse before they get better. I still have hope that eventually in the next couple of months EA will get it right and we will have a gallery we all can appreciate and respect alot more than we do now. :)

Please stay, create and play in spite of all the mess .. I'm staying .. I'm sharing .. because I do believe it will get better <3
    Please join my 💜 Quick Creativity Challenge 💜 forum thread
    [img][/img]kU5Eaxv.png

• PlantylPlantyl Posts: 53 Member
    edited August 2018
    GLovely1 wrote: »
    I have read through this important issue, thank you @horseygirl24 for starting it. I was hoping to see some helpful explanation by one of the gurus or someone truly in "the know" about the methods to the madness of the gallery changes. Personally I will try to name the problems again and attempt to offer solutions and positivity. Having the popular now page set as default creates two major problems:

1. As the majority here states this change is a complete disservice to all creators both new and old. The gallery had many problems before this and my hope with these updates was for the changes to actually help the creative majority. Instead, this one change is ruining the creative majority. Maybe this is temporary since clearly the popular now section isn't even functioning correctly but I really don't see how any good can come from this change. Solution: seriously, please change it back to newest sort asap!

2. Unfortunately there is a hidden problem in the gallery that gives us all the ability to repeatedly add to our own creation download total or add to the download total of anyone in the gallery. Some simmers already use this trick to boost their creations up into the popular now section. EA is aware of this fact yet these new gallery changes have so far not corrected this serious problem. Now I fear this new set up with popular now as default will only encourage more of this self downloading action to become popular. Before this change we all had a reasonable chance to get seen on that page. We really aren't visible at all now. :s The popular now gallery system can't function fairly, responsibly or honestly if there are a minority of simmers willing to manipulate the download number for their own popularity gain. Solution: I think (I hope!) this issue is already on the table for a fix in the upcoming gallery changes but I would appreciate more simmers speaking up for this change especially now that EA is actively making a mess of the gallery with the hope of making it ultimately much better. Please contact anyone you know who can finally help right this wrong.

All that being said I also want to encourage everyone right now, new creator to high follower established creator, please, don't give up! Especially not right now in such turmoil and frustration. I have been for days now advocating for patience .. stay connected to why you all are truly here in the first place .. it is to create something beautiful that you love first and foremost .. then it is to share with all of your friends, followers & fans. We all need to stick together and support each other more in the days and weeks to come. The gallery is in a major transition right now and typically with all change things tend to get worse before they get better. I still have hope that eventually in the next couple of months EA will get it right and we will have a gallery we all can appreciate and respect alot more than we do now. :)

Please stay, create and play in spite of all the mess .. I'm staying .. I'm sharing .. because I do believe it will get better <3
    I'm sure they didn't see the result of setting the popular now tab by default. EA wants to see more fresh and different contents but creators who create contents receive less admiration? Even worse, people always want their creations to be in the spotlight, so this update encourages them to be more dishonest by using the 'self-download' method. Should those people who use the unfair trick be on the top and deserve more compliments than those ones who don't use? Seriously, this is wrong. Hopefully, they will come up with the properly, reasonably, and accurately better solution for the next update. Please EA, no more stupid and careless idea that destroys the game you made.
  • kass17kass17 Posts: 92 Member
    edited August 2018
    @Plantyl Exactly. Only the Maxis fav, the big followers number members, and…. the cheaters, will be to the top. So, it will encourage the cheaters to cheat more, and will encourage some other to do so. I am very glad about carrying change about the gallery. However, the point to put the most popular tab to be seen first is a very bad idea, and mostly about the newbies, that want to search for creations to download. Also, the most popular tab is big mess actually. They see only the most pop tab first, so all the others, the newbies themselves, and low followers number members, can't be known. Since the newbies don't really understand first how the gallery works.
    I just hope that this point will be fix soon.
  • TwoHorsesTwoHorses Posts: 8 New Member
    > @simmerLella said:
    > TwoHorses wrote: »
    >
    > I don't know if it's really a problem. For a while now, I had one sim in my gallery, with zero download. Since the update, I got 16 downloads in 1 day. I think it's because of the "random from the gallery" that people can now use in CAS. It probably got my sim more exposure.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's been a feature for as long as I can remember.

I'm sorry, I didn't know it was there before. I'm new to creating stuff, I've only uploaded 2 creations.
    And anyway, this "random from the gallery" feature isn't working right. It's not a real random, they always show up the same stuff.

Since the update, the Gallery had major issues for days, and I think the team was pretty busy working on those bugs. I was surprised the SimGurus didn't react much to the problem of the Popular Now by default, since SimGuruGrant recently tweeted about supporting creators and builders, and SimGuruKate talked about showcasing creators. But maybe it's because they had so much to do with the other issues.
    Let's hope they will take care of it now. (and take care of the "not-so-random" random sim from gallery!)