The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much space does TS4 take up?

hi! I recently posted about my MacBook Air that had almost no memory from the sims. well, I had my first week of college and couldn't get through the first week without needing more memory on my computer, so I bought my new MacBook Pro early! I now have a 256gb MacBook Pro and I still don't know if I wanna put the sims on it or keep it just for school. To save memory I'm gonna play with no cc and try to just have one or two saves. (which is gonna be hard but I reallyyy don't wanna slow this computer down). so, if I downloaded the sims 4 and expansions (I also have parenthood, get together, city living, vampires, dine out, and backyard stuff and am planning on getting pets) about how much memory would it take up? and would this continue to expand even if I only kept like one save and downloaded more cc? I don't know if this has been asked already but I couldn't find an awnser anywhere.
family tree (legacy family)
origin id: clareo74

Comments

• littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    Hmm. Seems about 14GB for the base game and an added 1GB for custom content + saved games. The GPs look about 1GB each and EPs about 3GB each. Stuffs pack are 500MB. So total you're looking at about 24GB? Plus tack on Pets which is at least 3GB so I'd just say 30GB total to be safe. That's all I know abouts.
    6riwm5.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    I do know with PC you need to leave at least 50 gb free space for virtual memory. I dont know if it is the same for Mac but ask @Blubellflora about this issue

I do have a 256 gb ssd on my PC and it gets used up quickly. If your hard drive gets full it will run slower
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    For Macs the OS should be able to happily run as normal with only 10Gb or so of free storage. 256 Gb is such a low amount of storage space but of course like most other companies, Apple is trying to push its customers to the cloud. I would never go lower than 512Gb and I use iTunes remotely so it's not clogging up my drive. It is not possible to store saves etc. for the game on an external drive so the only viable option is to install the OS on an external drive then install the game on that drive. This means that every time you want to play you boot up your Mac from the external drive. It's super easy to do you could use a 128Gb USB stick just for the game. I have an old iMac booting up from a USB stick because the external drive failed a few years ago.

My Sims 4 installation (all add on packs to date included) uses 23.6Gb. My user data folder is 4.5 Gb of which 4.3Gb is CC.

My Sims 3 installation (all add on packs apart from 3 SPs) uses 32.3 Gb. No user data worth mentioning as I haven't played much since installing it on my new Mac.

Origin doesn't use much space.

apple-signature.png
  • Rachel3463Rachel3463 Posts: 5 New Member
    sims 4 takes up 30 GB for me on mac. It seems like a lot to me. Not sure if it takes up this much for everyone else.