Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Access to the invention constuctor for ex-scientists

My scientist got fired somehow on his vacation, however he's incapable of using the invention constucter anymore, even though he still has the inventions in his workbook. I don't believe he just forgot how to operate it, or became too dumb to do so after losing his job.

So here's the suggestion, I'd like that ex-scientist can still use the invention constructor, however they can only make the machines they have available in their workbook.

Comments

• NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Access to the invention constuctor for ex-scientists
    Yes, I like your suggestion and it would only make sense. Not too long ago, I had my Extraterrestrial Explorer (level 10 scientist) quit his job to try something different. Had I known it would lower his IQ so drastically, I wouldn't have done it and I got him re-instated almost immediately. He still had all of his science gear in the basement.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• thatsnotswegthatsnotsweg Posts: 697 Member
    I've wanted the invention constructor to be unlocked for scientists (and former scientists) to use outside of work since it came out.
    gallery ID: thatsnotsweg

vYCrjvm.png
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Once a scientist unlocks something it should stay unlocked for their lifetime. Actually once any Sim unlocks anything it should stay unlocked. And once a Sim tops out any career the checklists/work requirements should discontinue.
  • Kenneth4484Kenneth4484 Posts: 39 Member
    I hope the developers see this, and rethink this system, so that it actually makes sense.

Also does somebody know why the cell doors are so useless? I can place them, but thats about all i can do with them.
  • Kenneth4484Kenneth4484 Posts: 39 Member
    @thatsnotsweg you can unlock the invention constructor for home use by using the bb.showhiddenobjects cheat. :)
  • AlHollandiyahAlHollandiyah Posts: 1,121 Member
    "Only Scientists can puzzle out how to use the Invention Constructor."

Like, really? So if I have a job where I have to use some machine every day, as soon as I quit I can't 'puzzle out' how to use said machine anymore? That makes 0 sense.... Has anyone found / made a mod for this yet, as the devs don't seem to pick this up?
  • AmavariAmavari Posts: 167 Member
    Agreed on this, I made an alien sim and had her go scientist for the sake of filling her ship with all sorts of alien tech, but once I reached the last promotion I had her retire because I wanted to have her become a doctor because it was the next logical step.. only to lose access to her invention making

Which makes no sense at all, honestly if you reach the end of a career you should get the option to retire rather than quit and keep all your unlocks available for future use even if you get another job
    Bump; does anyone know of a mod that fixes this obvious bug?
  • SuceressSuceress Posts: 1,679 Member
    I'm glad you mentioned this. I bought one with buydebug on and put it in my Sim's home. He's still got the job, but I haven't tried to use it. I wasn't aware it would stop working if he quit or lost the job.

So, I vote that once they have the skills to use it, they get to keep using it even if they are unemployed or in a new job.
    @Suceress Agreed. It makes no sense at all. If one of us has a job, we don't forget how it all worked the minute we quit either?
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Robotconstruction should also be added to the scientist career, it is not very logical that the scientist in the Sims Lab can't construct a robot!
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    That bugs me too. I mean, you make all of these breakthroughs and spend all of this time on this career...and if you quit or lose you job, you can't build the inventions anymore? That's pretty lame. I say, free the invention constructor (for ex-scientists...).
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • coogee78coogee78 Posts: 177 Member
    I agree that they should make the constructor once they have started a new career. Robots being folded into the scientist career would make sense too, even if it was in a small way, like the daily task being build robots.