Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Fishing

PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member
Is fishing too much of a lottery in the Sims 4 than in previous Sim games when we where fishing? Yes we have a fishing log on our phone for fish caught with bait, but using a certain type of bait does not guarantee success in finding the fish you want! It seemed a lot more fun in previous Sim games!

For example, in the Sims 2 I never found it an issue fishing, it made us friendships chatting with those who were fishing (that doesn't seem to happen now and a Sims can't join someone fishing), personally I found fishing fun in that game. In the Sims 3 we learned about certain bait to find the fish we wanted, through books or skill, whether it be in the home area or on vacation. It was nice to find bait for one fish!

Personally I find fishing a pain in the Sims 4. Trying to find the fish we need to complete a collection. I never found this an issue in the Sims 3 in fact I loved the challenge of getting certain skills to find those fish I needed.

It is such a lottery in the Sims 4 and to be honest I find fishing totally boring especially when my Sim has reached level 10 and still fishing out rubbish stuff and items they may already have. At least in the Sims 2/3 when reaching the top level you got the best!

Please let fishing be fishing! It is nice to know I have fished out a special item but this should be very occasionally and not as I have found more items than fish!

I am finding if I want to find a certain fish, having to consult my phone, if I have already managed to find that fish, to try and catch it is still a lottery! Not a certainty because you will find other fish will take the bait. This is not fun for me!

Personally I do not find fishing fun in the Sims 4 as much fun as I did in the Sims 2 and Sims 3. I wish it was because I like this aspect of the game.

Comments

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I’m pretty sure some fish can only be found in certain locations, maybe that’s why you’re finding it difficult to find certain fish? Where do you normally fish?
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    You need to vary your fishing locations. Like in Sims 3, you'll have some ocean fish and some freshwater fish. Depending on the packs you own, fish might only be in certain worlds; there are a couple of vampire related fish that are only in Forgotten Hollow. Some fishing areas require a higher fishing skill -- you'll get the "fish here are too wily" for your Sim notification.

Carl's Sims 4 site has a great guide to fishing -- can't seem to load the site right now but I'll try and grab the link later.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• TheStarHermitTheStarHermit Posts: 280 Member
    Fishing isn't really something I've bothered with so much with in TS4, I usually only have sims fish if they have a garden since fish make good fertilizer. Saying that, I do like sending sims sometimes to Granite Falls on a fishing holiday, it's something different for them to do. :)
    "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as much as you please." - Mark Twain
  • tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    I wish fishing had more options, like maybe Sims could sit in lawn chairs and talk or something.
  • Simberella777Simberella777 Posts: 480 Member
    I don't really fish too much in TS4 because there's no way to keep them fresh in your inventory for very long. I like to keep some of them for eating but that's really hard to do, especially if you are somewhere like the Hermit's place in Granite Falls or the Island in Selvadorada.

I guess it's okay if you are trying to complete a collection, using a few for fertilizer, or just skilling up, but otherwise it's a no go. As OP noticed, you seem to keep getting the same cheap fish over and over again no matter what bait you are using.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

We need to be able to put them in the fridge, take them out and cook them either in a pan or grill as well. even when it's over an open fire they do not specify what we are cooking so it's not the one in our inventory as far as I know they just let you cook a fish. (even on Sims medieval you could keep your fish in a fridge to keep it fresh for cooking or giving away, I liked that in sims medieval that you can add as much food as you wish to the fridge and even full a friends fridge or the fridge at the Kings or Queens castle.)
    We can keep them in fish tanks but they are still foul there. and can make your home smell. It's better just to delete them. I would like to be able to throw them back in.

Even when the family's fish together they do not communicate so no social. Same as some other family get-togethers on sims 4 like bowling, the social go down and not up, kind of takes the joy away. looks like they are having fun together but they are not. Maybe the programmers fool them into thinking it works but it did not.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
    Stormsview wrote: »
    We need to be able to put them in the fridge, take them out and cook them either in a pan or grill as well. even when it's over an open fire they do not specify what we are cooking so it's not the one in our inventory as far as I know they just let you cook a fish. (even on Sims medieval you could keep your fish in a fridge to keep it fresh for cooking or giving away, I liked that in sims medieval that you can add as much food as you wish to the fridge and even full a friends fridge or the fridge at the Kings or Queens castle.)
    We can keep them in fish tanks but they are still foul there. and can make your home smell. It's better just to delete them. I would like to be able to throw them back in.

Even when the family's fish together they do not communicate so no social. Same as some other family get-togethers on sims 4 like bowling, the social go down and not up, kind of takes the joy away. looks like they are having fun together but they are not. Maybe the programmers fool them into thinking it works but it did not.

Um, you can put fish in the fridge, cook and grill them. Also, Sims improve their relationship when fishing together by the same sign :|

I had a homeless man once, he would try and fish for money to eat. of course he went to level 10, fished all over the world, to find all kinds of fish, but they have little value, you can find like a cow plant berry and lots of other things. but the fish value is low. It was fun for him because he was a loner and fishing was his aspiration. So, of course, he loved the alone time.

With nothing to do with the fish, the hobby got old fast. So he would hang out at the bar play the piano, and became a concert pianist.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
  • FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited July 2018
    I just completed this aspiration with one of my sims last night and boy was it tough. I was stuck on like 16/17 out of 20 for a couple days. I couldn't get to the Hidden Grotto one in Oasis Springs because he didn't have level 10 handiness. Carl's guide that was linked above was a lifesaver. I downloaded the pdf file so I know where to look if I ever get stuck doing the aspiration in the future. It does seem like the bait doesn't make a lick of difference. It says to use small fish to get big fish, I get more small fish. Or it says to use frogs and I get small fish or junk, cowplant berries or pomegranates. Or I use medium fish and I might get one big fish and a bunch of little useless fish even though I am at the rare or uncommon fishing spots.

Nevertheless, that aspirations always a toughie for me because it's so hit and miss.
    edited July 2018
    Nindigo wrote: »

Um, you can put fish in the fridge, cook and grill them. Also, Sims improve their relationship when fishing together by the same sign :|

go try to put fish you caught into your fridge, can't. you can not cook them on your stove. you can not grill what you caught. also, you can not talk to the Sim your fishing with until you and they stop fishing. but they will keep what you said for later like if you try to even blow a kiss. it will be in holding until your done. This guy was fishing with his wife but can not talk to her until they stop fishing.
    I just tried it again just in case something did change. It was so funny the wife got abducted by aliens and the husband did not react standing right next to her.
    Fishing is not social, it does not matter how many or who you are with, the family does not matter.
    In sims 3 you could do all that. Not sims 4
    edited July 2018
    go try to put fish you caught into your fridge, can't. you can not cook them on your stove. you can not grill what you caught. also, you can not talk to the Sim your fishing with until you and they stop fishing. but they will keep what you said for later like if you try to even blow a kiss. it will be in holding until your done. This guy was fishing with his wife but can not talk to her until they stop fishing.
    I just tried it again just in case something did change. It was so funny the wife got abducted by aliens and the husband did not react standing right next to her.
    Fishing is not social, it does not matter how many or who you are with, the family does not matter.

I can put any freshly caught fish in my Sims' fridge, I can cook them on both their stove and any grill (private or public). Your game sounds terribly buggy - have you tried a repair and/or remove mods and cc?

It's true, Sims don't talk during fishing, but they do gain relationship with whoever is fishing at the same fishing sign.

I can put any freshly caught fish in my Sims' fridge, I can cook them on both their stove and any grill (private or public). Your game sounds terribly buggy - have you tried a repair and/or remove mods and cc?

It's true, Sims don't talk during fishing, but they do gain relationship with whoever is fishing at the same fishing sign.

I will try to add to the fridge again, I have not used this sim since 2017 so his fish is old. lol, I did want to be able to catch a fish and go home and cook it, that would make me like fishing a bit better. I do wish would talk while fishing, It should be social with anyone on the same sign. I mean its time consuming, and your just really alone. You do not get social. but if you stop fishing you can stand there a chat. and we do need fishing chairs out in the world. also fishing docks. I have not
    fished in every spot I am sure. Fishing is just like sitting around a campfire, you talk and talk. So that's what we need and we are good to go, bring the family.

I went and tried again with the wife she had no fish so she caught 3 went home and put the fresh fish in the fridge, also if you have fresh fish you can cook fried fish, and yes in the pan on the grill as well. thanks for this. they do not say the name of the fish your cooking, but one of your fish does go away. I should have stuck with my fisherman longer. So then they do not have much to fix just the social part. But you were right and it looks like fish. His fish was too old. I will keep the fisherman in the world now. Also, You can only cook fried fish if you have fresh fish. We can cook fish without fishing, just not fried fish, that's for what we catch fresh, I like that we can cook the fish. <3:) Thanks
  • PrincessrozeeSPrincessrozeeS Posts: 390 Member

Yes we see relationship points over the heads of our Sims but if your Sim doesn't already have that person in their relationship panel they don't show up as a Sim they know. If your Sims get relationship points they are so small to be insignificant in my opinion.

Fish can be put in the fridge to use in recipes but it does eventually deteriorate although it doesn't seem to matter if a Sim cooks with foul fish! Fish can be used on the grill in recipes too, and if I remember correctly you have to have a fish in your Sims inventory to cook a fish recipe on the grill. Fish can also be cooked on the fire pit that came with Outdoor Retreat but it uses any fish not one you select to cook with.

Thank you for all replies and idea's. I do know where to catch certain fish but it's catching them and the time it takes. I think I preferred fishing in the Sims 3 a whole lot more and even in the Sims 2 where it was fun to make relationships fishing.
  • deedeetee13deedeetee13 Posts: 24 Member
    Gotta get those Cowplant seeds. No neighborhood is complete without them.
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    I read once that a lot of the animations that Sims use when talking to one another are tied, through code, to hand gestures that they make. To allow them to visit while both hands are holding the fishing rod, for instance, would involve either trying to "untie" the the voice animations from the gesture animations, which sounds quite involved, or to have the fishing pole appear and disappear rapidly so that they could make the gestures, which would be quite immersion breaking. I forget exactly where this was, but it stuck in my head.
  • KirbySkywalkerKirbySkywalker Posts: 511 Member
    I use a mod for forever fresh fish from MTS