Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gallery being sorted by "Popular Now" by default is a problem

pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
edited August 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Update: It has been confirmed that the default will be changing back in a future update. :smile:

Since the gallery is now defaulted to being sorted by 'Popular Now', I noticed that the majority of recently uploaded creations are getting very, very few downloads, whereas before everything used to be downloaded at least a few times. It isn't very fair to those who don't have tons of followers but still want to share their creations with others. Yes, users can easily switch to sorting by 'Newest', however most players likely won't bother/notice. I'm sure many don't care about the gallery or how many downloads they get, but I've personally enjoyed sharing my sims and builds a lot as of late. No one seeing or downloading kind of defeats the purpose of sharing, though.
Post edited by pinneduphair on

Comments

• paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    edited August 2018
    Hear hear! Newer creators like me need to be given more chances in the spotlight, and this can be achieved easiest if it was switched back to Newest for the default gallery setting!
    Post edited by paradiseplanet on
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    It really doesn't take much for an upload to reach the "popular now" category, even for someone without any followers.. so I think it'll be fine. If I'm being honest, I almost never went for "newest" myself until I became desperate with the search results.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    It really doesn't take much for an upload to reach the "popular now" category, even for someone without any followers.. so I think it'll be fine. If I'm being honest, I almost never went for "newest" myself until I became desperate with the search results.

Sure, but now newer uploads are hardly even getting one download. I agree that it was fairly easy to get to 'popular now', but it isn't anymore.
  • Artemisa02Artemisa02 Posts: 258 Member
    I'm so agree with you @horseygirl24 the last Gallery update brings more crashes, are very slow and it is very imposible gets downloads, I saw many good simmers uploading new good stuff and they gets only 2 or 5 downloads, with the old gallery that creations could have at least 50 downloads in the first minutes. If you dont have many followers thats means that you never going to reach the top downlods anymore.
    anime_girl_signature_by_marisascarlet-d480fmk.jpg
    My original ID @Artemisa02
    For more check out my blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/artemisa02
    Check my Workshop
    MY WORKSHOP BY ARTEMISA02
  • TwoHorsesTwoHorses Posts: 8 New Member
    I don't know if it's really a problem. For a while now, I had one sim in my gallery, with zero download. Since the update, I got 16 downloads in 1 day. I think it's because of the "random from the gallery" that people can now use in CAS. It probably got my sim more exposure.
  • MarjiaMarjia Posts: 363 Member
    Lot Builds especially need to default to newest as there is no random build button like Cas.
  • Ginzu19Ginzu19 Posts: 239 Member
    I completely agree. One of my uploads happened to be in Popular now when the update came live, and it got almost 10.000 downloads in a day, which is completely insane. It shows the impact that the Popular Now filter has, being the default setting. Also I noticed almost all new uploads have ZERO downloads and favs. I usually search the newest uploads to discover new interesting buildings, so I can tell the big difference this change has made.
    edited August 2018
    Checking again today, I'm also seeing a lot of the same things in Popular Now that were there yesterday. So if the idea was for players to see new & different creations whenever they looked at the gallery, it isn't working too well.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    This was the one big thing that jumped out at me on the livestream: when one of the gurus (and marketing people?) mentioned that Popular Now was going to give exposure to new creations, and I was like, “Wait, what? Shouldn’t it be Newest?”
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    edited August 2018
    I hear your pain. I don't even consider uploading to the gallery much because I want to feel free to use CC, build something that's half mine and half not, and not overthink things (worry), but I do not actively seek out what's more popular. I'm not into that and it somewhat irks me.
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Didn't they claim they switched it to Popular Now so that there would be newer uploads each time you open the gallery? How does that make sense? Wouldn't putting it on Newest lead to newer uploads than the popular section? I'm not understanding the logic.

You're right. It will probably just reinforce old popular things. ... There's surely some science behind the psychology and stuff in this, right? They could've tried to research their hypothesis about this making the gallery fresher. *sigh*
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
    Dumb question: Is there a way to get rid of search results that have CC?

It’s disappointing to download something that looks really nice, but then find out it’s CC, so I don’t get to see the beautiful CC mesh or whatever it was.

I love, love using the gallery for many lots and sometimes for Sims, so I’m curious if there was a way to filter that...?
    (She/her)
  • simmerLellasimmerLella Posts: 612 Member
    TwoHorses wrote: »
    I don't know if it's really a problem. For a while now, I had one sim in my gallery, with zero download. Since the update, I got 16 downloads in 1 day. I think it's because of the "random from the gallery" that people can now use in CAS. It probably got my sim more exposure.

That's been a feature for as long as I can remember.
    "Challenge everything"
    My Game Twitter
    tumblr_inline_pwgxs3dfiz1t4sbjh_500.jpg
    EA, fix the EA app & CAW EIG!
  • SjofnSjofn Posts: 332 Member
    edited August 2018
    Totally agree, I used to get at least a couple of downloads right after I uploaded something to the gallery (my most popular thing ever has 111 downloads, so I am definitely not rolling in downloads anyway), now even that has gone away. 'Popular Now' is a feedback loop when it's the default setting, and I really don't care for it. It feels like uploading into a void now.

edit: I also sort of hate it because it's easy to forget to switch it to one of the other filters when you're searching for a specific person on the Gallery and whoops, you get no returns at all because they haven't uploaded something in a while.

It’s disappointing to download something that looks really nice, but then find out it’s CC, so I don’t get to see the beautiful CC mesh or whatever it was.

I love, love using the gallery for many lots and sometimes for Sims, so I’m curious if there was a way to filter that...?

On the left side of the gallery, under where it says 'Advanced' there's a box that says 'Include Custom Content'. Un-checking that should filter out CC.
    TwoHorses wrote: »

That's been a feature for as long as I can remember.

I'd heard that it had been gone for a while, and they brought it back with this patch.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited August 2018
    I agree with this, the only simmers getting uploads and faves will be famous youtubers who can hashtag their names, like Deligracy or Sim Supply (not to criticize them). As soon as they post a new building or CAS video, everyone will be searching for their builds and sims in the gallery.
    Post edited by bixters on

On the left side of the gallery, under where it says 'Advanced' there's a box that says 'Include Custom Content'. Un-checking that should filter out CC.

Thanks! :smile: I’ll be sure that it stays unchecked, then! (I must have accidentally pressed it or something, lol.)

(She/her)
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited August 2018
    Just to add, since this update my cache is filled with a hundred or so thumbnails of the new lots and households I skimmed through from the Gallery and I am going to have to clear my cache every time I check it. I don't know if this is Windows 10 trying to be helpful (Prefetch style) or it is a fault with how the Gallery is presented.

When I checked the cache the day before the update there were just a few blurred household images in it (none of mine) even though I had looked at the Gallery several times. Seems a good way of spreading viruses as some are in code unreadable by any app. on my PC. 388 JPG, 1 .dat thumbnails, 5.5 MB approx.
  • KelleygirlKelleygirl Posts: 599 Member
    I'm very disappointed in the new default setting for popular now. I'm a decent builder but I don't really have time to promote myself via youtube, etc., but at least with the way it was prior to this, there was a chance my builds would be seen and downloaded a few times.

With this change, it seems almost as if EA is saying they don't really care about the small creator. I mean seriously, popular now builds are popular because their creator has time to promote and/or has a huge following but this new change seems to shut out the creator just starting out.

On top of that, I was just in the gallery and there was nothing showing under "newest" or "popular now" and my own catalog was empty. The gallery was glitchy to begin with, this "update" just made it worse.
  • kreatorakreatora Posts: 557 Member
    Nobody gets downloads just now. Popular or not.
    Gallery is broken - read here..
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16650963/#Comment_16650963
    My ID Origin kreatora
    Hero on EA AHQ
  • Artemisa02Artemisa02 Posts: 258 Member
    People with thousand of followers are happy now because they have creation uploaded before the Gallery change, thats means If some of that creation were at the most popular section, now people see more and that how they gain a lot of downlods but, as @kreatora says popular or not, you won't gets downloads if you share something new, no matter haw many followers you have, except of course, people like Deligraci or any other you tubers.

So, I decided to stop gaming/ building till the Gallery gets fixed, I hope the staff check this out and fix it soon as possible.
    anime_girl_signature_by_marisascarlet-d480fmk.jpg
    My original ID @Artemisa02
    For more check out my blog: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/artemisa02
    Check my Workshop
    MY WORKSHOP BY ARTEMISA02
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I don’t like it, it appears to favour those with a large following and will once again benefit game changers over ordinary Simmers who don’t have that title.
    edited August 2018
    kreatora wrote: »
    Nobody gets downloads just now. Popular or not.
    Gallery is broken - read here..
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/16650963/#Comment_16650963

I made my post before that became an issue. When I noticed the issue of newer creations not getting many downloads, uploads were still actively getting downloads. I know because some of my own did. It's just that newer ones weren't getting as many as they used to, because people weren't seeing them. I'm aware that the gallery was broken this morning. I tried to use it today and couldn't even get the Newest section to load. But that isn't the problem I'm talking about.