Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you disable mods before an update?

The only mod I have is MCCC, which I only got recently. I am almost on the 5th generation of a family and I don’t want to lose them. I heard someone saying that the update today could mess up MCCC, so I’m a bit worried. Should I disable mods before the update, just in case? I assume disabling mods won’t mess up my game.

Also, I saw someone mention copying their save file to another folder as a backup or something. If anyone could explain how to do that, that would be great.

Comments

• WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    edited July 2018
    You should copy the whole "Sims 4" folder to external device. So if you're original save is corrupted/lost, you have copy. Copy from time to time to save game progress.

I don't know about mods.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Wolfium wrote: »
    You should copy the whole "Sims 4" folder to external device. So if you're original save is corrupted/lost, you have copy. Copy from time to time to save game progress.

I don't know about mods.
    So like copy to a USB?
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Yes..
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,547 Member
    edited July 2018
    As for updates, it was common to remove your Mods folder before running the update in Sims 3. Most of the time that's not necessary in Sims 4. However, we have had TWO mod-busting updates, so far. I took my game off of automatic updates, as a result. This gives me time to pull my Mods folder and then update my game. I don't generally put my mods back until they've also been updated to the new patch, or we get word that the patch is still compatible with MCCC. Sometimes, the patch doesn't disturb the mods at all. Now, I just pull the Mods folder to my desktop, to be on the safe side. EA has a built-in thing that will disable your mods (unticks the option) in the game already. As was already stated, back-up your game. I don't necessarily remove it from the device itself, but copy it to my desktop. All is good, unless or until, I run silly and delete said folder, thinking it's no longer necessary. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    edited July 2018
    As for updates, it was common to remove your Mods folder before running the update in Sims 3. Most of the time that's not necessary in Sims 4. However, we have had TWO mod-busting updates, so far. I took my game off of automatic updates, as a result. This gives me time to pull my Mods folder and then update my game. I don't generally put my mods back until they've also been updated to the new patch, or we get word that the patch is still compatible with MCCC. Sometimes, the patch doesn't disturb the mods at all. Now, I just pull the Mods folder to my desktop, to be on the safe side. EA has a built-in thing that will disable your mods (unticks the option) in the game already. As was already stated, back-up your game. I don't necessarily remove it from the device itself, but copy it to my desktop. All is good, unless or until, I run silly and delete said folder, thinking it's no longer necessary. :open_mouth:

@GalacticGal

Thank you. I want to try and backup my game by copying it to my desktop like you said, but I’m a bit confused about which file/s I need to copy. Can you help?

Also, how do I take my game off automatic updates?

ETA I think I figured out the second bit. I found an option in Origin called “Automatic Game Updates” and I unticked it. Do I also need to untick “Automatically update Origin”?

Out of interest, if a “mod-busting” update did occur and you had mods turned on, would it break your game? Or, would it only prevent the mods from doing their job (e.g, for MCCC, stop unplayed sims autonomously procreating)?
  • Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    Usually mods are automatically disabled after a game update. After you update your game and make sure your mods are compatible with the new patch, you have to start the game and re-enable mods like you had to do the first time when you started using them.