Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GIMP 2.8 Questions about Layers Mode

CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
edited July 2018 in The Sims 2
I read all the tutorials how to create some custom eyebrows. However, Gimp 2.8 doesn't have a step I need according to instructions. I made the skin, was making the alpha but when I get to the step that says select Layer Channel/Mode/Normal/Multible there is no such option under Mode only RGB and Grayscale. If anyone can't help me, can an older Gimp still be downloaded somewhere as the site actually only allows for a newer or latest Gimp to be downloaded anymore? :/
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

So, what are you wanting to do?
    If you need to add a Transparent Layer to work on, go to Layers->New Layer and Choose the Transparent/Okay. This will allow you to paste over a clear layer and manipulate it.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Thanks for answering. This is a step that is missing in Gimp 2.8 (older versions have layer channels/mode) when you are ready to invert and and black out the skin face just to make the alpha. Right before that you have to choose this step: Layer Channels-Mode-Normal-Multiply. According to this video and also instructions here on MTS: http://modthesims.info/t/184268

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmxqJjBj3UA

ETA: without that step the mannequin face turns blue (in body shop not just in the video) instead of staying it's normal skin color. Or blacks out once I block out everything but the brows for the alpha. (ETA:) The only Mode feature in 2.8 is under Image/Mode and then only RGB and Grayscale there is no Mode Under Layers or Layers Channel.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Okay- yes, things turn blue in bodyshop because it doesn't like layers any more. Even if you merge them all, it turns them purple or blue. (is what I found out)

What I do when editing and I've used layers on the project- I'll merge all the layers then copy the whole thing, open the project I was working on in Paint and paste the copy- save.
    This removes the layer editing and won't turn the project blue in Bodyshop.
    edited July 2018
    Thank you! I'll try that. I made custom eyebrows years ago and I just don't think I had any of these problems before. I can make clothes textures in paint even use tranparency even in reg. ol' MS paint for layers, I just thougt I would use Gimp 2.8 for better brows and ran into missing features from older versions. Let me go jot this down and see if it works out for me. Thank you!
    edited July 2018
    @Rflong7 I think I did something wrong. I watched that video again and she said to paste my alpha over the Maxis alpha. Well, I did that but I noticed in her video she actually had the Maxis Matbase (last brow in category) open when she pasted her new alpha onto the eyebrow skin. Now, I no longer have the default Maxis last eyebrow for males in my game. Is there a way for me to get it back? I didn't mean to make a default replacement. lol :o If I delete mine will the game regenerate the last brows for males back into the game? And I was able to find Gimp 2.6 which had the Normal setting back in it and Multipy so the instructions were good until I did what she said about pasting over Maxis alpha. ETA: I've got my cc brows now but no Maxis default last set in game.
    OMGoodness- I have no idea how that would happen or how to help. Would they be back if you removed your CC eyebrows?
    edited July 2018
    I think I have them back. Does anyone know how many basegame male eyebrows there are? I have three sets, but I could have sworn there is normally four.
    edited July 2018
    I believe there are only 3- thick, thin, and the less bushy. :)

*which is all the Body Shop shows as base game.
    O.K. Thanks for all your help! yay! Now that I know what I did wrong I can go make some character eyebrows. I think makeup and eyebrows etc. are harder to learn than clothes, lol.