Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Opinion about Seasons

Comments

• DreamaDoveDreamaDove Posts: 393 Member
    also, the tourists in san-myshuno walk around like they're in hawaii even though there's a blizzard. I stopped playing until I found a mod to fix it since I was afraid all my townies would die.

The sims playing basketball in san-myshuno also change into their athetic outfit to play-- and then they start freezing as well.

I really dislike that other NPC work uniforms do not have a winter counterpart. The poor people working at vending stalls make me sad D:
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I like the way they handled the weather situation in TS4. In real life, weather reports have become far more accurate over the years because of better technology. Why shouldn't our Sims benefit from this as well?

Have IRL forecasts become more accurate? Yes. Have they become 100% correct forecasts for a whole week into the future? No, not at all.

That's the thing, even with more accurate forecasts IRL, they still are not 100% accurate. There are variables and unexpected things happen. The forecasts in The Sims games should be similar. They should be partially accurate, but there should still be room for surprises, and forecasts for a whole week out in the future should not be anywhere near 100% accurate.

I know, it's a video game, but The Sims 2 and 3 do this just fine, so can The Sims 4.

I think the 'Mysterious Weather' days where anything can happen are the unexpected surprises.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The thermostat... isn't one. Thermostats don't just have hot, cold, and off. They regulate temperature to keep things comfortable. Which is not how the thermostats in game work.

Also, using them inflates the bills to absurd levels. A couple of sim-weeks ago it was fall, and since it was cool/cold out, I set the thing to "warmer." End of the week after 3 or so days of use, my bills had quadrupled (under 3K to over 11K). That is just insane levels of use.

Now I don't even turn it on. I just made 2 sets of cold-wear -- one with a coat and one with a sweater, and put the Sims in sweaters indoors when it is cold out. But really that should not be how thermostats work.

I agree with this. The only purpose I can see for them is just to make the bills higher and giving the game more challenge and even then its unrealistic at that.

I think its just silly you can’t set your own seasons, lengths and order. And I agree Oasis Springs is a world I really dislike now because it basically has one season. Amd I know it’s the desert, but what happened to “You Rule”
  • Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    You would think, with every new iteration of a game they'd improve on a part of the game from the one before it.. Not TS4. It seems EVERY pack has less in it than similar ones in TS3 and TS2. Yet, they charge twice as much for it. It's ridiculous in my opinion.
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    You would think, with every new iteration of a game they'd improve on a part of the game from the one before it.. Not TS4. It seems EVERY pack has less in it than similar ones in TS3 and TS2. Yet, they charge twice as much for it. It's ridiculous in my opinion.

Hi,
    I agree.
    been saying this for nearly 4 years :/
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    The thermostat... isn't one. Thermostats don't just have hot, cold, and off. They regulate temperature to keep things comfortable. Which is not how the thermostats in game work.

Also, using them inflates the bills to absurd levels. A couple of sim-weeks ago it was fall, and since it was cool/cold out, I set the thing to "warmer." End of the week after 3 or so days of use, my bills had quadrupled (under 3K to over 11K). That is just insane levels of use.

Now I don't even turn it on. I just made 2 sets of cold-wear -- one with a coat and one with a sweater, and put the Sims in sweaters indoors when it is cold out. But really that should not be how thermostats work.

I agree with this. The only purpose I can see for them is just to make the bills higher and giving the game more challenge and even then its unrealistic at that.

I think its just silly you can’t set your own seasons, lengths and order. And I agree Oasis Springs is a world I really dislike now because it basically has one season. Amd I know it’s the desert, but what happened to “You Rule”

this is the sims 4 with the base game and its packs, less is more :#

some of the most basic features continue to be left out. the you rule quote is such a joke with this game!
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    edited July 2018
    I don't like holidays, they are just another list of things to do to get a positive buff, as if it was needed.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    SiliClone wrote: »
    I don't like holidays, they are just another list of things to do to get a positive buff, as if it was needed.

Happily, you can just delete them all :)
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member

Yeah.. I was kinda disappointed about that actually. Holidays are more annoying than anything sometimes.

Happily, you can just delete them all :)

I already did.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    The Sims 2 was actually focused very much on seasons and gardening, yet it gave a good amount of the features you listed, and plenty of other ones too, which are not present in TS4.
  • RontrellRontrell Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="marcel21;c-16623933"]repeated post

[/quote]

I have been having issues with gameplay as of recent. When I first purchased and started playing with the seasons expansion pack my son's were able to go to school and work. Now they are unable to go to school or work. When each school or week day begins it says they're on holiday even on days that aren't holidays. Can anyone offer assistance please.
    Rontrell wrote: »
    marcel21 wrote: »
    repeated post

I have been having issues with gameplay as of recent. When I first purchased and started playing with the seasons expansion pack my son's were able to go to school and work. Now they are unable to go to school or work. When each school or week day begins it says they're on holiday even on days that aren't holidays. Can anyone offer assistance please.

Are you using mods? They are looking for this issue replicated in a clean save that never saw a mod.

Apart from that, do the holidays works? This problem is sometime related to the non occurring holidays
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited August 2018
    I like how the weather is presented. There's enough options already when Sims sit down to watch tv. I also don't like the idea of power outages. I have had them in real life and it is not fun at all. Then I guess the Sim should also be able to use a power generator and then, what is the point. Sounds too complicated. Besides, they already experience a power outage when they don't pay their bills on time. Btw, I think the thunder feature is scary enough. Especially when your Sim appears stuck and can't dodge a possible lightening strike!!
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • makorthawatmakorthawat Posts: 18 Member
    i actually want to see real natural disaster in any seasons on my sims.....and i always wonder why i am abnormal.
    and my sims really so stupid.go outside wearing only boxer! are you idiot?
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    I like how the weather is presented. There's enough options already when Sims sit down to watch tv. I also don't like the idea of power outages. I have had them in real life and it is not fun at all. Also, the Sim should be able to use a power generator and then, what is the point. Sounds too complicated. Besides, they already experience a power outage when they don't pay their bills on time. Btw, I think the thunder feature is scary enough. Especially when your Sim appears stuck and not moving.

Oh, I dunno. So long as it's not extremely hot or cold, power outages can sometimes be fun. :) When I was a kid, practically the whole block would be outside, checking on each other, catching a cool breeze, kids playing games... <3

Generators would be a nice addition. Or, even those solar Luci lights and flashlights. (I wish that Sim nights were darker.)

It would be fun if neighbors came by because they knew that one house still had power/lights. Nice way to meet the neighbors. It would have been even more fun if there were more kid activities that didn't require objects -- like catching fireflies.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
    Cynna wrote: »
    I like how the weather is presented. There's enough options already when Sims sit down to watch tv. I also don't like the idea of power outages. I have had them in real life and it is not fun at all. Also, the Sim should be able to use a power generator and then, what is the point. Sounds too complicated. Besides, they already experience a power outage when they don't pay their bills on time. Btw, I think the thunder feature is scary enough. Especially when your Sim appears stuck and not moving.

Oh, I dunno. So long as it's not extremely hot or cold, power outages can sometimes be fun. :) When I was a kid, practically the whole block would be outside, checking on each other, catching a cool breeze, kids playing games... <3

Generators would be a nice addition. Or, even those solar Luci lights and flashlights. (I wish that Sim nights were darker.)

It would be fun if neighbors came by because they knew that one house still had power/lights. Nice way to meet the neighbors. It would have been even more fun if there were more kid activities that didn't require objects -- like catching fireflies.

HOWEVER, it will not work that way in the game because it is not an open world so I don't see how power outtages would be fun with others on a block. It would only be with your Sim or sims standing outside not being able to do anything but get hit by lighting I guess. Assuming the power outtage IS caused by a lightening strike as in real life, RIGHT?? But to each his own I guess.
    edited August 2018

HOWEVER, it will not work that way in the game because it is not an open world so I don't see how power outtages would be fun with others on a block. It would only be with your Sim or sims standing outside not being able to do anything but get hit by lighting I guess. Assuming the power outtage IS caused by a lightening strike as in real life, RIGHT?? But to each his own I guess.

Nah. Power outages happen for all kinds of reasons, not just a storm. Especially in the summer. :)

Besides, to simulate the experience of a neighborhood coming together, there's nothing wrong with calling some neighbors over, in game, and having a Blackout Barbecue with lanterns, tiki torches, etc., and games/activities that don't require power. Anything to break up the monotony.

All it requires is a little imagination. But, as you say, to each his own. ::shrug::
    I3Ml5Om.jpg

Nah. Power outages happen for all kinds of reasons, not just a storm. Especially in the summer. :)

Besides, to simulate the experience of a neighborhood coming together, there's nothing wrong with calling some neighbors over, in game, and having a Blackout Barbecue with lanterns, tiki torches, etc., and games/activities that don't require power. Anything to break up the monotony.

All it requires is a little imagination. But, as you say, to each his own. ::shrug::

What other reasons in-game? Do tell. Maybe EA is listening. Anyway, you can invite other sims over but IN THE GAME realistically, you would need power for anything like lanterns, cooking/bbq, playing videogames, movies in the backyard, etc. and I wouldn't want my sims stuck outside doing nothing but talking if its not raining or dodging a lightening but whatever.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    BariSaxy wrote: »
    I like the way they handled the weather situation in TS4. In real life, weather reports have become far more accurate over the years because of better technology. Why shouldn't our Sims benefit from this as well?

Have IRL forecasts become more accurate? Yes. Have they become 100% correct forecasts for a whole week into the future? No, not at all.

That's the thing, even with more accurate forecasts IRL, they still are not 100% accurate. There are variables and unexpected things happen. The forecasts in The Sims games should be similar. They should be partially accurate, but there should still be room for surprises, and forecasts for a whole week out in the future should not be anywhere near 100% accurate.

I know, it's a video game, but The Sims 2 and 3 do this just fine, so can The Sims 4.

I think the 'Mysterious Weather' days where anything can happen are the unexpected surprises.

I already addressed that in my post before the one you quoted in this topic:

"Really, I'd love for some spontaneity. And I'm not even talking about the "Mysterious Weather" days. I think those days are just straight-up silly. And I live somewhere where you can actually have a day like that (most often in the Winter). In reality there's not spontaneity in those days because it's forecasted spontaneity. I'd love for unforecasted rain/snow showers to occur every once in a while, like in the previous games."
    OO2UdmJ.png
    edited August 2018

What other reasons in-game? Do tell. Maybe EA is listening. Anyway, you can invite other sims over but IN THE GAME realistically, you would need power for anything like lanterns, cooking/bbq, playing videogames, movies in the backyard, etc. and I wouldn't want my sims stuck outside doing nothing but talking if its not raining or dodging a lightening but whatever.

In-game, as far as I know, the power outages also come from a bad fuse box (CL), and delinquency with the bills (base game). So the function is already there. Would it be so difficult to try to extend it a little further? We know that the lights on other lots, the street lights, and the lights in all of those decorative buildings go out during the day. The mechanism to turn them off is there. The game could roll a really rare occurrence and they could all just go out one night.

As far as activities: You don't need power for a barbecue. Unless you're fully electric, you don't need power for cooking either. Why would you? Lanterns don't need power. They run on some kind of fuel or battery. To my knowledge, the game has lanterns and candles (risk for fire! :smiley: ) already.

Likewise, there are already activities in the game that don't require power -- chess, slides, swings, pools, poker, the llama game, painting, darts (the darts could still work, even if the score board doesn't) foosball, etc. There are many. I only wish that there were more activities for the kiddies.

I know that you said you don't like black outs. All I tried to do was help you to see it in a different light. You're resistant to any ideas that I try to share that can make them not seem so bad, so I'll stop now. However, just because you don't want something, doesn't mean that others might not find a use for it.

For storytelling/game play purposes, a power outage could prove useful to many -- so long as they aren't too frequent. Some of us wish that EA would offer the option, so we're putting it out there. If they provided the option, everyone could be happy.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    OH no so does this mean every person in the game is going to drop dead when winter comes around in my game? I might just have to make it that Sims don't feel the effects of weather in that case when winter comes to my world.
  • TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    edited August 2018

I guess I'm glad my boys are totally maxed out when it comes to having money. They don't even care about the bills any more and are glad to toss money away since they both make over 500k each a week in investments XD As for things not working in Sims like they do in reality...did you ever realize that just about everything that happens in Sims isn't reality?
    OH no so does this mean every person in the game is going to drop dead when winter comes around in my game? I might just have to make it that Sims don't feel the effects of weather in that case when winter comes to my world.

Well, one of the Sims that happen to be at a park my Sim was visiting, suddenly dropped dead when they tried to do yoga in the middle of a Fall night when the temperature suddenly dropped. So I decided to build an indoor type of canopy with a glass roof in the yoga area with a thermostat. At least now the other Sims that I am not playing won't drop dead and cause a big mourning scene with the grim reaper along with a grave site. I may also make it so that my favorite Sims don't feel the effects of weather as well. Thus far, I have been putting thermostats everywhere. Otherwise, a bar always eventually comes up that my Sim is getting cold even with proper clothing. Good luck!

In-game, as far as I know, the power outages also come from a bad fuse box (CL), and delinquency with the bills (base game). So the function is already there. Would it be so difficult to try to extend it a little further? We know that the lights on other lots, the street lights, and the lights in all of those decorative buildings go out during the day. The mechanism to turn them off is there. The game could roll a really rare occurrence and they could all just go out one night.

As far as activities: You don't need power for a barbecue. Unless you're fully electric, you don't need power for cooking either. Why would you? Lanterns don't need power. They run on some kind of fuel or battery. To my knowledge, the game has lanterns and candles (risk for fire! :smiley: ) already.

Likewise, there are already activities in the game that don't require power -- chess, slides, swings, pools, poker, the llama game, painting, darts (the darts could still work, even if the score board doesn't) foosball, etc. There are many. I only wish that there were more activities for the kiddies.

I know that you said you don't like black outs. All I tried to do was help you to see it in a different light. You're resistant to any ideas that I try to share that can make them not seem so bad, so I'll stop now. However, just because you don't want something, doesn't mean that others might not find a use for it.

For storytelling/game play purposes, a power outage could prove useful to many -- so long as they aren't too frequent. Some of us wish that EA would offer the option, so we're putting it out there. If they provided the option, everyone could be happy.

Right, a fire!! No thanks to any of that as it doesn't sound like fun at all. And talk about things being too frequent, I just had my Sim put out numerous burning leaves because every time she walked out her house, the bar kept getting orange saying it was a nasty environment!

Btw, when it comes to those activities you mentioned, I have to disagree as you do need power because in "Sims hours" it gets dark pretty fast!! Without power, your gameplay of those activities would probably last for five minutes or less. Then, I guess its game over.

Overall, I just think that you are not considering how these ideas would actually work in a game that tries to be realistic to a degree but not too stressful at the same time. Regardless, I just feel if some people want a more challenging game, go to Fortnite, Tombraider or something like that instead of trying to suggest extra elements that many of us do not want. In fact many of us would appreciate more fixes to the game as it is.