Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Dogs Fainting

I've been experiencing something in my game and wanted to ask you guys if it's a gameplay feature or a bug. I couldn't find a discussion on it.

Some knowledge about my game and what has been going on:
  • I have all of the packs except for Bowling Night.
  • The dog we are talking about has the Couch Potato, Hairy, and Hunter traits. She is also not spayed, but thanks to MCCommand Center I also know that she is not pregnant. Her name is Lily.
  • Lily frequently faints. There is no "What's Wrong?" option, and whenever I take her to the vet, they tell me there is nothing wrong with her. I have only noticed the fainting spells recently.
  • Currently, it is Summer and really hot.

I suspect that the dog is "overheating". I purchased a thermostat just a few minutes ago because one of my Sims was complaining about the heat, and I think that may be the problem with Lily. Since I could not find a discussion on this or any information regarding it, I am unsure if this assumption is correct. Along with that, if it is correct, I'd like to know some ways to aid my Sims' dog, as they like to take her to the dog park, but she keeps fainting there as well.

I have bought some of the cold treats from the vet and plan on doing some experimentation but I am unsure of other consequences that could come from these treats, as I haven't really played around with pets too seriously.

If it is a bug, then "Oh well!", I'll try to repair my game and mod/cc check, but I wanted to check with you guys before I delve into that route.
I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world! [ Elton John, Your Song ]

Comments

• littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    It may very well be a bug. I've had occasional weird fainting sprees with some of my dogs. Is it possible her energy is super low and she's fainting because she's tired?
    6riwm5.png
  • VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    I've noticed that one of my households that has just a single sim and a dog has been having that issue. I think that since my sim doesn't sleep much (she has the seldom sleepy trait), her dog isn't sleeping like it should when it gets tired. I'm assuming that might be what happened, since the dog wasn't sick or anything.
  • arintiaarintia Posts: 251 Member
    I don't know why, but I didn't even consider the possibility of her not sleeping very much. Thank you guys so much!
    I hope you don't mind that I put down in words how wonderful life is while you're in the world! [ Elton John, Your Song ]
  • littlemissgogolittlemissgogo Posts: 1,808 Member
    You could try cheating her needs to full (shift-click then "Make Happy" or something like that) and see if the fainting keeps up or not. Sometimes the pet AI is. . . not super wise.
    6riwm5.png
  • keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    I have had a lot of dogs (about 7 or more) since Cats and Dogs came out. I think all of them has had this fainting spell happen to them. Some more frequent than others. My guess is there's an issue in their autonomy to go to sleep when they're tired. In the families I noticed it occur the most often, one was a super large lot. So, I'm assuming my dog passed out before it could reach a bed to sleep in. One my current lot, where the fainting is also extremely frequent, I have only one pet bed, but 4 pets. The animals should be able to curl up on couches, beds, or just the floor to go to sleep, but I'm guessing dogs don't do that properly and their autonomy only allows them to sleep if there's a pet bed readily available.

This is my best guess. But I would love to get to the bottom of this, too.

To those who have fainting dogs? Do you have a pet bed? And how easily accessible is it?
  • VuloriVulori Posts: 94 Member
    I stopped using pet beds since my sim's dogs seem really happy to just sleep on the floor next to them. My households that consist of more than one sim don't really have this problem, but for me that usually means parents and a few kids. I haven't played a household that has a dog in a few weeks though, so I can't say much more. Oh, and I only usually have one dog in a household.
  • micheleimichelei Posts: 422 Member
    I had a family with two dogs and both had a bed on each floor of the house and another outside under a tree. The dogs fainted all the time and never used any of the beds on their own even after I told them to. It was very irritating. I stopped playing that family all together. I had a family later with three cats and they were also fainting all over the place. Now I just do not play with either.
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited July 2018
    My cats do it too. I have found it is related to sleeping they get too tired and go into distress. For some reason the ai to sleep doesn't always kick in when it should and so I check on my pets when they are looking orange then force them to sleep. I definitely think pet ai especially in regards to pet beds are boinked.
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    I've noticed this too and I don't have that many pet beds as they rarely get used. I also have been starting to buy the seldom sleepy trait when my sims can afford it. My poor pets seem to be lacking sleep.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Hm, I have never seen this in my game.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I suspect the dog needs to be trained to use the pet bed. I've seen Ribsy Huggins do it a few times in my game, but no one sent him to his bed.

P5uiaG.png
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Der.. I feel l kind of plum I didn't know you could train them to use the bed too. I stopped putting beds out because they always seemed to sleep near the sims bed (or on it for cats). I had one dog that was a fainter too.. this might explain it.
    egTcBMc.png
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited July 2018
    arintia wrote: »
    I suspect that the dog is "overheating". I purchased a thermostat just a few minutes ago because one of my Sims was complaining about the heat, and I think that may be the problem with Lily. Since I could not find a discussion on this or any information regarding it, I am unsure if this assumption is correct. Along with that, if it is correct, I'd like to know some ways to aid my Sims' dog, as they like to take her to the dog park, but she keeps fainting there as well.

It's possible the dog is getting tired more quickly in the heat or "overheating". You also mentioned that the dog has the Couch Potato trait and those dogs are lazy and will just lay down and sleep pretty much anywhere at random times throughout the day. If it is a heat issue, you could try putting a dog park in one of the worlds that doesn't get as hot or take her to the dog park early in the morning or in the evening when it's not as hot.
    I suspect the dog needs to be trained to use the pet bed. I've seen Ribsy Huggins do it a few times in my game, but no one sent him to his bed.

There is no training to use the pet bed. Even if you send a dog to their pet bed, they will usually get out at some point and go sleep near their owners. The dogs are programmed to prefer to sleep near their owners.....cats on the other hand will sleep in the pet beds more often and will stay in them longer.
  • Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member
    OP, this has nothing to do with the pet bed, my sim dog has been reacting well with the pet bed and didn't get fainting actiion too, this has something to do with season, I'm so sure because I don't own season EP.

The Sims Game
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    arintia wrote: »
    I've been experiencing something in my game and wanted to ask you guys if it's a gameplay feature or a bug. I couldn't find a discussion on it.

Some knowledge about my game and what has been going on:
    • I have all of the packs except for Bowling Night.
    • The dog we are talking about has the Couch Potato, Hairy, and Hunter traits. She is also not spayed, but thanks to MCCommand Center I also know that she is not pregnant. Her name is Lily.
    • Lily frequently faints. There is no "What's Wrong?" option, and whenever I take her to the vet, they tell me there is nothing wrong with her. I have only noticed the fainting spells recently.
    • Currently, it is Summer and really hot.

I have bought some of the cold treats from the vet and plan on doing some experimentation but I am unsure of other consequences that could come from these treats, as I haven't really played around with pets too seriously.

If it is a bug, then "Oh well!", I'll try to repair my game and mod/cc check, but I wanted to check with you guys before I delve into that route.

Could be she’s sick. My dog fainted and was sick.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

P5uiaG.png
    How do you train a dog to use the bed my sims pets just sleep anywhere even though I give them beds.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641