Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is there anything that would make you move on from playing TS3?

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @Nikkei_Simmer :D for some reason I much prefer Tornado to Dante's Peak. Perhaps it is the flying cows :D:D Perhaps we should have a competition to establish the simlish word for cows.

I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • TroyTalksTroyTalks Posts: 103 Member
    edited July 2018
    It's been amazing to read the new ideas and see how thoughtful everyone is concerning an upgrade to 64 bit. Tornadoes could definitely be possible. I basically picture the "fight cloud" effect on steroids.

Here are some animations I would like to see involving tornadoes:
    1. perhaps they could cause mild damage to mail boxes, exposed plants (those not protected by a greenhouse), and outdoor furniture as it passes, requiring a handy sim to fix the items and a gardener to start over (or you could always click and spend some simoleans to replace it).

2. I would love to see tornadoes possibly leave behind random items (debris) ranging in value from cheap furniture to expensive collectibles - heck maybe in rare cases they could even leave behind a special disaster gnome (a reason to keep the gnome would be because properties with the disaster gnome on their lot would be 20% less likely to be hit by a disaster...idk...just a thought. of course, you could also sell the gnome which due to its rarity, should be expensive). that way, players could have the option to sell the items left behind which might help repair damage.

3. This was someone else's idea, but I think it's great: flying cows that could possibly knock down a sim caught outside in the storm. we all seem to agree that this should not be fatal.

4. if a sim is directly in the path of the tornado, i would like to see them freak out before being swept off their feet where they would spiral around the tornado, rising higher and higher, until being sent out of sight for the duration of the storm only to appear (possibly covered in dirt) on a random community lot once the storm ends , with a negative moodlet - along with a dazed moodlet, lasting for a few sim hours.
    I think this animation is very attainable because there is already precedent : it would be similar to the abduction animation.

Post edited by TroyTalks on
    giphy.gif
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    @TroyTalks. THOSE are great ideas. :) I love all of them.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    edited July 2018
    @Nikkei_Simmer Thanks! :D I would love to see those features added. What other disasters would you like to see?
    giphy.gif
    edited July 2018
    @Bettyboop55 I've been reading around and a possible upgrade may not be as far fetched as we thought. Several simmers are expressing a demand for it, and some talented developers are out there listening.
    giphy.gif
    @TroyTalks I would take anything you have read with a pinch of salt. EA owns the rights to the sims series and it is for the company alone to say what the future of it's legacy games will be. There is nothing to stop us though from expressing our interest in what a theoretical upgrade might contain. This thread shows that TS3 players have given the idea a lot of thought. You too have put forwrd ideas. Everyone is welcome to put forward ideas as long as we don't stray into speculation and rumour. At the end of the day we are incredibly loyal to this fantastic game and it is going to take something very special indeed to make us move on.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    I think I would move on from Sims 3 if there's a Sims 5 and it builds on Sims 3 ideas rather than on Sims 4's. I still have yet to be convinced to buy Sims 4 at all. Just looks like an all around inferior installment in the Sims series.

So yeah, a Sims 5 that is an improvement from Sims 3 would get me to move on.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    I think I would move on from Sims 3 if there's a Sims 5 and it builds on Sims 3 ideas rather than on Sims 4's. I still have yet to be convinced to buy Sims 4 at all. Just looks like an all around inferior installment in the Sims series.

I never purchased TS4 either. But one thing that has happened is that collectively, many of us are going to be a little more difficult to win over the next time. It's not like TS4 fooled us or anything, we could see that it was a very different game and the direction it was going in long before it was released, and it just didn't "speak" to many of us. But next time, assuming there is a next time, many of us even if attempting to keep an open mind will be drumming our fingers on the desk waiting to be impressed and that won't be as easy as it might otherwise have been.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited July 2018
    igazor wrote: »

I never purchased TS4 either. But one thing that has happened is that collectively, many of us are going to be a little more difficult to win over the next time. It's not like TS4 fooled us or anything, we could see that it was a very different game and the direction it was going in long before it was released, and it just didn't "speak" to many of us. But next time, assuming there is a next time, many of us even if attempting to keep an open mind will be drumming our fingers on the desk waiting to be impressed and that won't be as easy as it might otherwise have been.

That's very true - and part of the outrage is that apparently someone thought that we would be fooled, it really seemed like a surreal attempt at an obvious scam (offering a lesser product but charging a higher price)...it was a slap in the face to those of us who have been loyal players for years. I can definitely see myself playing the sims 3 for quite some time, regardless of the possibility of an upgrade. And as you said , even if the upgrade comes...I would be much harder to impress because not only would I expect it to be a true successor to the TS3, but it would also have to possess several elements from TS4 that I like such as group holiday singing, the customizable calendar, the updated CAS, the "santa" sim who breaks into your house on snow day eve and leaves presents, the updated vampire life state, multi tasking, etc) - and on top of that , it would have to roll out some completely new features as well... That is sadly the unintended consequence of the disappointment of TS4.
    giphy.gif
    @SimsxZelda_fan you are not alone in what you are thinking. What strikes me is the number of us prepared to stick with TS3 until we get something we are happy to move on to.

@igazor you took the words right out my mouth :D My concern now is we have two partisan simming communities, with some simmers in both camps not prepared to make concessions. It could be a case of he who shouts loudest wins and that scares me. When TS3 was the current game it didn't matter how loud we shouted we were ignored. We never did get a proper "Open for Business" pack. A case of history repeating ?

@TroyTalks we are all going to be harder to impress. As I keep saying whether it is an upgrade or new game it will have to be nigh on perfect to get this community interested in moving. The problem is getting concensus on the "perfection". I don't envy any company trying to get that one right. For example I would want to retain sliders in CAS and improve CASt. Others like the push me, pull you of TS4 CAS and want a modified CASt to help keep their game running smoothly. Tricky.

Sim enim est vita
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

True. Sims 4 has a strong fanbase by now, people who apparently genuinely love the game and even consider it their favourite. So they must have done something right, just not for the Sims 3 kind of player (which I am one of). I think Sims 4 mainly went wrong with its basegame (I’m not sure if it’s true we could see the difference all that clear all together btw, no simmer can be expected to expect half baked). But though most packs are underwhelming for me (except for Vampires), they apparently aren’t for others. And I see many simmers who never liked Sims 3 who felt like we do now when Sims 4 was announced. I think it’s all a matter of preferences, playing style, that more than anything else.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    its 5 or bust, time almost up for 4.
    And if there is a 5 please don't make it like 4 !
    We 3 fans have waited long enough, but I fear we are on the path @Igazor said we are, divided camps :'(
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

True. Sims 4 has a strong fanbase by now, people who apparently genuinely love the game and even consider it their favourite. So they must have done something right, just not for the Sims 3 kind of player (which I am one of). I think Sims 4 mainly went wrong with its basegame (I’m not sure if it’s true we could see the difference all that clear all together btw, no simmer can be expected to expect half baked). But though most packs are underwhelming for me (except for Vampires), they apparently aren’t for others. And I see many simmers who never liked Sims 3 who felt like we do now when Sims 4 was announced. I think it’s all a matter of preferences, playing style, that more than anything else.

Definitely a matter of preference and it is perhaps a good thing that we continue to have a choice about staying with a game we enjoy or moving on if it ceases to entertain. Longer term I am sure we will continue to find ways to play TS3. While there is profit in the game and I am reasonably confident there is, it will be supported albeit digitally. What EA plans for the game in the future is the companys business. We can only hope that it will not be abandoned as happened to Sims City.

Sim enim est vita
    faytheful wrote: »
    its 5 or bust, time almost up for 4.
    And if there is a 5 please don't make it like 4 !
    We 3 fans have waited long enough, but I fear we are on the path @Igazor said we are, divided camps :'(

Not quite time for some TS3 players who feel there is still plenty for them to do before moving on to other things. Over the last few months the company through it's gurus and yibsims has been at pains to make clear TS4 will be around for some time to come. What the future holds for the series after that is wholly dependent on the company. No business will share it's long term plans with it's customers for fear of giving a competitor the edge. EA is no different. All we can do is be ready with our wish lists and deal breakers for if and when anything is announced.

As for there being two communities, this is nothing new, as @JoAnne65 says there was a lot of objections when TS3 was launched. Hard to believe but not everyone wanted open worlds. Personally I was very glad to see the back of the yellow taxis because my computer was old and took forever to load. It will be for the company to resolve this issue in a way which satisfies both communities. Here's hoping it can and is willing to do so. In the meantime I am happy enough with my old TS3 disks working on a CAW project.

Sim enim est vita
  • SimsxZelda_fanSimsxZelda_fan Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2018
    @igazor I think as long as they make a genuine effort to make something good and not try what they did with Sims 4 making something cheap and lacking selling it full price, then at least most of us would be impressed.

@TroyTalks Haha it really seems like a real life Ed Edd n Eddy scam! I know they're EA but did they really think they'd pull the roll over our eyes??
    There were some good lone features in Sims 4. The best thing about it imo was the parenting system, although the multi tasking system seems pretty great too. I wouldn't mind if SOME of Sims 4 features were implemented as long as the main track of Sims 5 was building on Sims 3.

@JoAnne65 Well, as a Zelda fan I can say not all hope is lost for us in the Sims 3 camp. Nintendo always made Zelda games that strived for non linear and challenging gameplay. But when Ocarina of Time came out in 1998, it began a new era of more linear, story driven games that came to a head with Twilight Princess. It split the fanbase up but recently we had a new game, Breath of the Wild, that was a deliberate attempt to bring back all the fans lost to the story driven style and give more of us what we wanted. Its almost a miracle because the loudest ones were the forum weaboos who loved the story driven style and wanted more of it, and they grew as time went on. And though BotW is the best selling Zelda game now all time, that group has become the minority again but you can still hear them loud and clear, yet the developer knows better this time and has expressed on more than one occaision that they intend to continue on the new path they embarked on Breath of the Wild.

I know with Sims the change was much more sudden and extreme, in Zelda it was very gradual and took place over the course of almost 15 yrs, but I think that is what gives the Sims fanbase so much more hope. I guess the hard part is whether or not EA is gonna see the outcry from many of us the way Nintendo saw the outcry over Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword. I think they can do it. The question is, do they wanna save the Sims franchise or do they want to lay it to rest at this point?
    Post edited by SimsxZelda_fan on
    Can I ask people to be extremely careful in their mentioning of a possible TS5 or the long term future of the series. Both are very interesting subjects which I would love to see debated but the purpose of this thread is to find out what, if anything would make a TS3 player move on.

I think after all these posts it is clear most of us would move on if there was a new version which had all the features of TS3, some from TS4 and some new elements. We agreed earlier in the thread to talk of a theoretical upgrade to 64 bit. People have given a lot of thought to improvements to existing TS3 features and the new things they would want. They have also made clear what their deal breakers are. It would be a pity then if this thread were seen as speculation and rumour and moved/closed as a consequence.

I used to think I had all the answers but one thing I really enjoy about the posts is the different things we value about the TS3 and the kind of things we still want for this game. I have learned so much. People are welcome to keep posting and who knows someone might actually read this thread.

Thanks.

Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    I'm pretty sure EA will not make a Sims 5. so we can put that to rest right now. I think another gaming studio is the only way we are ever going to get our wish of another version of TS3. Or something close to it. Anyway....I'm with @Bettyboop55 on the speculation of a Sims 5 and that it would have to be another topic.

EA has already said they are extending the life of TS4 for another 3 years. So they are planning on making a lot of DLC to cash in on. I can pretty much see where this is going. After they have used every last remake idea... they will throw it on a shelf, alongside SimCity 2013 and that will be it.

I know it's a pessimistic take on the whole thing, but considering how they have alienated the existing fan base...I don't think they really care what we would like to see in our dream version of this game....which is too bad, cause I would have paid good money for the version of the sims I described in my earlier posts.

It still baffles me why they didn't just pick up where TS3 left off. They sky was the limit... make it 64 bit and come up with original DLC... cause we would have already had all the EP's. They could have made so much money.

• mikkimouse1978mikkimouse1978 Posts: 1,497 Member
    I have noticed a sharp decline in the quality of The Sims games. For me, I think The Sims 2 was the peak. While I do like The Sims 3. I much more preferred the gameplay for The Sims 2. In reality, I think I have come to the last of my Sims addiction and only play The Sims 3 to relieve stress and build homes.
    edited July 2018
    The fact you prefer one iteration doesn’t mean the others have less quality. It means they apparently paid more attention to one aspect you happen to value most. In Sims 2 that’s personalities I think. But for me open world and CASt are so important to really feel submerged, that the versions without that fail to really pull me in the way Sims 3 does. On top of that the somewhat more neutral sims in 3 are perfect for me, because I don’t really like it when the game dictates too much what’s going on in my head while playing. The sims in 3 give me room to play with that and at the same time they are expressive enough to not make them feel robotic and stiff (for me, I can fully understand why they do to others because of the pauses in between animations). Which probably is the reason why it’s sims in 4 that comes across robotic to me, because of their autonomous behaviours that feel programmed and strange to me (because it’s auras that cause them, not other sims or other logical reasons)(or just because they can, like hugging anyone on two legs).
    5JZ57S6.png
    thevogel wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure EA will not make a Sims 5. so we can put that to rest right now. I think another gaming studio is the only way we are ever going to get our wish of another version of TS3. Or something close to it. Anyway....I'm with @Bettyboop55 on the speculation of a Sims 5 and that it would have to be another topic.

EA has already said they are extending the life of TS4 for another 3 years. So they are planning on making a lot of DLC to cash in on. I can pretty much see where this is going. After they have used every last remake idea... they will throw it on a shelf, alongside SimCity 2013 and that will be it.

I know it's a pessimistic take on the whole thing, but considering how they have alienated the existing fan base...I don't think they really care what we would like to see in our dream version of this game....which is too bad, cause I would have paid good money for the version of the sims I described in my earlier posts.

It still baffles me why they didn't just pick up where TS3 left off. They sky was the limit... make it 64 bit and come up with original DLC... cause we would have already had all the EP's. They could have made so much money.

Totally agree :)

Sim enim est vita
    I have noticed a sharp decline in the quality of The Sims games. For me, I think The Sims 2 was the peak. While I do like The Sims 3. I much more preferred the gameplay for The Sims 2. In reality, I think I have come to the last of my Sims addiction and only play The Sims 3 to relieve stress and build homes.

With the TS2 UC would you perhaps be happier moving back to that game. We talk of moving on but there is always the option to pick an earlier version of the game, particularly if you consider it the best version. I love TS3 but we did lose gameplay from TS2 and perhaps more annoyingly the babies became bundles :(

Sim enim est vita
    The fact you prefer one iteration doesn’t mean the others have less quality. It means they apparently paid more attention to one aspect you happen to value most. In Sims 2 that’s personalities I think. But for me open world and CASt are so important to really feel submerged, that the versions without that fail to really pull me in the way Sims 3 does. On top of that the somewhat more neutral sims in 3 are perfect for me, because I don’t really like it when the game dictates too much what’s going on in my head while playing. The sims in 3 give me room to play with that and at the same time they are expressive enough to not make them feel robotic and stiff (for me, I can fully understand why they do to others because of the pauses in between animations). Which probably is the reason why it’s sims in 4 that comes across robotic to me, because of their autonomous behaviours that feel programmed and strange to me (because it’s auras that cause them, not other sims or other logical reasons)(or just because they can, like hugging anyone on two legs).

Looking through this thread I would say open worlds and CASt are the main reasons most of us are choosing to stay with TS3 rather than move on. I would add CAW and the terrain tools but that is personal preference.

I think with each new version that is released the existing player base becomes more discerning. Many of us thought TS2 simply couldn't be topped but TS3 did precisely that. Not for all of us though and as you, yourself, have said a lot of what we play now is down to personal preference. The good thing for all of us is we still have the choice to do that.

As for the sims, having experienced 3 generations I agree the ones in TS3 give you the most flexibility. Perhaps it is the fact they are the most customisable (without mods and cc) as well as having a good selection of traits. The traits system isn't perfect in my opinion and would benefit from an overhaul should there ever be an upgrade. I do, however, remember my TS2 sims with great affection and regard the remaking of premades for TS3 and 4 a terrible thing to do. These poor sims will never be as good as the TS2 originals. I bet there is some TS1 players out there saying the same of the Goth family in TS2 !!

Sim enim est vita
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    Can I ask people to be extremely careful in their mentioning of a possible TS5 or the long term future of the series. Both are very interesting subjects which I would love to see debated but the purpose of this thread is to find out what, if anything would make a TS3 player move on.

I think after all these posts it is clear most of us would move on if there was a new version which had all the features of TS3, some from TS4 and some new elements. We agreed earlier in the thread to talk of a theoretical upgrade to 64 bit. People have given a lot of thought to improvements to existing TS3 features and the new things they would want. They have also made clear what their deal breakers are. It would be a pity then if this thread were seen as speculation and rumour and moved/closed as a consequence.

I used to think I had all the answers but one thing I really enjoy about the posts is the different things we value about the TS3 and the kind of things we still want for this game. I have learned so much. People are welcome to keep posting and who knows someone might actually read this thread.

Thanks.

Betty

I am not understanding then. Are you asking what would make me move on to Sims 4?

There is nothing Sims 4 can do to make that happen for me because they can't. They can't add open world, create-a-style and all the other things it's missing.

What I need to move on (so let's not say a Sims 5) is a proper successor to Sims 1, 2 and 3. An improvement over the previous iterations but keeping all the things I loved about 1,2 and 3. Not a backtracking, dumbed down, highly structured force me how to play, "easy" version of the game.

For me, that's what it will take.

Thanks.

Betty

I am not understanding then. Are you asking what would make me move on to Sims 4?

There is nothing Sims 4 can do to make that happen for me because they can't. They can't add open world, create-a-style and all the other things it's missing.

What I need to move on (so let's not say a Sims 5) is a proper successor to Sims 1, 2 and 3. An improvement over the previous iterations but keeping all the things I loved about 1,2 and 3. Not a backtracking, dumbed down, highly structured force me how to play, "easy" version of the game.

For me, that's what it will take.

You are not alone. Most of us, in the natural order of things, would have moved on by now if there had been a worthy successor to TS3. Having tried TS4 and found it did not suit me at all, I would never say to anyone that a. they must try it or b. if they really wanted to move on, it had to be to that particular game. Like you there are things I really love about TS3 like open worlds, CASt etc which I could not give up and nor would I expect anyone else to.

As for my post above all I am asking is people think carefully before mentioning TS5 or the long term future of the series. Not because they are not worthy topics for discussion but if the thread strays too far into the area of speculation like "will there be a TS5" it is likely to get this thread moved. That would be a great shame given people have been generous in sharing their reasons why they are sticking with TS3 and stating what might or might not make them think about moving on. Give me an upgrade or new version which meets all my requirements and I might be tempted too.

Hope that helps :)

Sim enim est vita
    edited July 2018

Looking through this thread I would say open worlds and CASt are the main reasons most of us are choosing to stay with TS3 rather than move on. I would add CAW and the terrain tools but that is personal preference.

I think with each new version that is released the existing player base becomes more discerning. Many of us thought TS2 simply couldn't be topped but TS3 did precisely that. Not for all of us though and as you, yourself, have said a lot of what we play now is down to personal preference. The good thing for all of us is we still have the choice to do that.

As for the sims, having experienced 3 generations I agree the ones in TS3 give you the most flexibility. Perhaps it is the fact they are the most customisable (without mods and cc) as well as having a good selection of traits. The traits system isn't perfect in my opinion and would benefit from an overhaul should there ever be an upgrade. I do, however, remember my TS2 sims with great affection and regard the remaking of premades for TS3 and 4 a terrible thing to do. These poor sims will never be as good as the TS2 originals. I bet there is some TS1 players out there saying the same of the Goth family in TS2 !!
    And I stand by that. Sims 2 for instance was perfect for rotational players and there was a lot of detail in the interactions. I prefer to play one household myself (legacy style), so the rotational aspect is not relevant for me, where it’s essential for others. I understand the complaint retail in Sims 3 is not as good as in Sims 2, but I happen to not care about retail in my game. The TS3 tombs however I absolutely love and when I played Sims 2 (after playing Sims 3 for years) the ruins my sims could visit were as disappointing to me as RH shops must have been for people who loved that (and the same goes for the TS4 temple; nothing beats WA tombs). That’s why I state this is not a matter of quality. For the devs things like this are a matter of choices that apparently have to be made and one simmer will welcome what another simmer will regret.
    5JZ57S6.png