Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mod Extent

PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
I have a question that's been lurking in the back of my head for the longest, and I've finally worked up the courage to ask it so here goes:

Can TS2 not be modded any further than it is now? I'm not a tech wiz so I don't understand how coding works, and all of these fancy new TS4 cc and mods (with a gazillion new interactions) are starting to make me sad. I mean don't get me wrong; vanilla TS2 is good enough all on its own to not be modded at all (aside from the very needed mods that keeps the game from corrupting). I'm just saying that I really would love to see complex modsfor TS2 that add more gameplay like Basemental does for TS4.

Explanations? Thoughts? Cookies? :)

Comments

• Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    I can't answer that question as I don't know what Basemental's mods do. Can you explain or link to a few?
  • PhoenixArrandePhoenixArrande Posts: 106 Member
    edited July 2018
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    I can't answer that question as I don't know what Basemental's mods do. Can you explain or link to a few?

I unfortunately can't link it because his mod is not family friendly, and I don't wanna get in trouble. I'm not hoping for anything to be specifically like his. It's the amount of detail he put into that caught my attention...I hope I don't sound like I'm babbling. Lol. I guess a better way to phrase it is: Is it possible to add new interactions and animations to TS2?
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Yes it is possible to add new interactions and new animations to 2. Many modders have already done so. There are a ton of mods for 2, they are on many different sites, and do many things. Things like running a daycare, playable schools, prisons, as examples I can write about. There are a ton of not family friendly mods for it as well. What kind of things are you looking for?
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Yes it is possible to add new interactions and new animations to 2. Many modders have already done so. There are a ton of mods for 2, they are on many different sites, and do many things. Things like running a daycare, playable schools, prisons, as examples I can write about. There are a ton of not family friendly mods for it as well. What kind of things are you looking for?

Oh okay! I guess maybe the only problem is theres not enough interest in TS2 then...

Theres actually a lot of stuff I've looked high and low for that have never been done. One of them being a mod for the Criminal career track that makes it more realistic. Its kinda strange when all of my non law abiding sims never go to jail and never get hurt or die when they're away at work...
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Oh okay! I guess maybe the only problem is theres not enough interest in TS2 then...

Theres actually a lot of stuff I've looked high and low for that have never been done. One of them being a mod for the Criminal career track that makes it more realistic. Its kinda strange when all of my non law abiding sims never go to jail and never get hurt or die when they're away at work...

Lol, there is still plenty of interest. There are things made everyday still. I don't know of a mod for that off the top of my head, but if I should stumble upon it, I will let you know.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    I have a question that's been lurking in the back of my head for the longest, and I've finally worked up the courage to ask it so here goes:

Can TS2 not be modded any further than it is now? I'm not a tech wiz so I don't understand how coding works, and all of these fancy new TS4 cc and mods (with a gazillion new interactions) are starting to make me sad. I mean don't get me wrong; vanilla TS2 is good enough all on its own to not be modded at all (aside from the very needed mods that keeps the game from corrupting). I'm just saying that I really would love to see complex modsfor TS2 that add more gameplay like Basemental does for TS4.

Have at it, :D
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_2_Modding

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Hacks_and_Game_Mod_Tutorials

Oh, and we don't discuss mature mods here.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Cinebar wrote: »

Have at it, :D
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Sims_2_Modding

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Tutorials:Hacks_and_Game_Mod_Tutorials

Oh, and we don't discuss mature mods here.

I know thats why I didn't elaborate. Sorry about that :( And i cant make anything myself for multiple reasons but thanks anyway. Im just confused as to whats able to be made and what isnt. Thats what I meant by "can it be modded any further". I was told that certain stuff can't be done (like multiple working cellphones) and so it made me wonder if the modders we have now are only able to make things out of the code that is already there or if its possible to add entirely new things that aren't stitched together from pre-existing animations. Am I making any sense cuz I feel like I'm not ehehe XD
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Read the hacks and game mod tutorials. Of course new mods can be made, and new custom animations. If you had a code for mulitiple working cell phones, (would have to work on the same lot couldn't be global because of closed world) you would have to also create custom animations for everyone to anwswer etc. You could stitch together the answer phone animations already in game, but you would have to come up with code for the cell phones to work and make sevearl Sims answer using code in game to join a conversations. But not sure there is any code where you could have more than one cell phone...you would have to invent that along with other code. ETA: Which could possibly mess up all phones in game including landlines, on every lot and every hood.

I don't know anyone (by name) anymore who is still actually modding the game. However, I know of lists of people who are converting things from TS3 and TS4 to work with TS2. Echo and others did a lot of custom animations for many different things in the game. In your case you need to learn how to do that, too. That's why I gave you the links of how to mod and create hacks. (the second link) because first you will need to figure out how to create a 3D object and it's function/bhav before you go off and add anything extra to it, like animations and or other code of how it works. ETA: Script mods are either global or local (lot only) etc. so you need to study that so you can get your answers.

If you are looking for new mods for the game there are plenty but we can't link anything like you talked about with the TS4 mod you mentioned.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.