March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Launcher no longer installing store updates?

ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,352 Member
edited March 7 in Nominated Threads
UPDATE: The official answer from EA is that players with Steam and disc installs should register their codes and then install through Origin, which will land the game on patch 1.69. There has not been an answer yet for Mac users, so I suppose they're attached to another object by an incline plane wrapped helically around an axis. Sorry. Many thanks to @puzzlezaddict for getting us this answer.

ANOTHER UPDATE: Moving this to the first post so it's easily found: LINK TO CONTENT PATCHES

STEAM PATCHES: There's been some discussion that store content doesn't work properly on a Steam install due to the content patches being different so someone on the Steam forum provided this link to STEAM content patches: STEAM CONTENT PATCHES If this download ever fails to work let me know.

Occasionally I refresh my game folder by pulling my EA folder out of documents, booting up the launcher thus creating a new one, then closing the launcher and reopening it. When you reopen it asks if you want to download updates, and then downloads 7 content patches to the new folder. This is not working anymore. I've tried several times and the new folder will not download the updates.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,352 Member
    @igazor Here it is! Found it in the store section. So anyway, I'm on patch 1.67, don't even have Origin installed and none of those content patches will download anymore. I've tried several times with fresh installs. I had to go looking for those files in an old back up.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2018
    I'm on a Steam 1.67 install, but anyway out of curiosity I just pulled my ContentPatch folder out, started up the Launcher, and logged in (things I never do anymore, usually I startup the game with a bypass). You're right, no offer for the store patches. I decided to sit here and hold my breath until they show up.

(thought it over a bit more while turning blue...and then hastily quit and put store patches back in place)

Sorry for the misinformation, don't know why they aren't being offered up now. Am pretty sure they were at least up until a month or two ago for 1.67 players (but not 1.69).

Edit: Actually, the game did replace my ContentPatch folder for me but it was empty inside. :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    @igazor Picturing your avi with a blue face :lol:

Is this another way of trying to force 1.69 on us? :disappointed: I think downloads cost a website money? So why would they provide us with a download for 1.67, huh?

Also wondering if the files in the ContentPatch folder are specific to our game, like the store content? Example: If I download a store item to use on my desktop (disc install), that item will not work if I copy it to my laptop game (Steam install). The items are specific to the game install. So the question is = would the ContentPatch folder items be the exact same for everyone and something we could share with others? I don't know how to test this because I'm not even sure what these patches do exactly. I did notice that my Head Start playpen was borked, which was why I checked my folder for the content patches. But I transferred the patches from an old save and the playpen is still borked.
    The blue effect is not all that bad, but it depends on the shirt I am wearing at the time. :)

The ContentPatches are the same for all of us, as far as I know. At some point they included a "Do Not Bug Me Until the Next Patch" file because it was driving players crazy to keep getting the offer to download the Store Patches when they already had it. I've shared mine with other users in the past, don't know how EA feels about that concept, though.

As far as 1.69 conspiracies go, that doesn't make sense here because players on the Steam 1.67 and Mac 1.67 versions of the game need the Store Patches too and there is no 1.69 version for us.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    As far as 1.69 conspiracies go, that doesn't make sense here because players on the Steam 1.67 and Mac 1.67 versions of the game need the Store Patches too and there is no 1.69 version for us.

@igazor I always wanted to be a conspiracy theorist so thanks for blowing up my dreams.

Okay, so it's a bug then? In which case, I reported it over on the EA forums awhile ago and got zero response.
    Let's try something bold and different here.

@EA_Mage - Hi there. Do you have or can you possibly suggest a way to find out what's going on with the EA Store Patches (aka ContentPatches) for TS3 players on Patch 1.67? Historically the Launcher always offered them up immediately if it detected they were missing and if the player was on patches 1.63-1.67, but as of recently in the past month or two that seems to have stopped happening. Possibly an EA TS3 side server issue? The files themselves are pretty small and add up to less than 8 MB in total. It's a relatively minor thing I guess, but it's beginning to disturb players who have no path to update to 1.69 and who need the small store item patches. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member
    They stopped offering the Content Patch about 5 months ago at least for the PC.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2018
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    Do you know that if it is something that is done on purpose? I am on Steam, I noticed this before and backed up my content patch folder. But if I got a nasty virus or something that deleted my files, I should be able to get patched up.

It doesn't make any sense. There are many players on Steam who plays TS3. This means there are potentially a lot of players who probably have no idea that a patch like this exists. This is like really really bad.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
    berginon wrote: »
    Do you know that if it is something that is done on purpose? I am on Steam, I noticed this before and backed up my content patch folder. But if I got a nasty virus or something that deleted my files, I should be able to get patched up.

It doesn't make any sense. There are many players on Steam who plays TS3. This means there are potentially a lot of players who probably have no idea that a patch like this exists. This is like really really bad.

It could be intentional or it could be a glitch on their side. But I doubt it's a virus on your computer causing it to not be offered I just got a new PC and with a fresh install the Content Patch never got offered same thing happens with my old Win 7 computer so it's not OS related either.
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    edited February 2018
    It could be intentional or it could be a glitch on their side. But I doubt it's a virus on your computer causing it to not be offered I just got a new PC and with a fresh install the Content Patch never got offered same thing happens with my old Win 7 computer so it's not OS related either.
    I didn't mean it is because of a virus. What I meant is that; I have a backup of the patch now, but what happens if it gets deleted by a virus, or I somehow accidently delete it? How am I supposed to install it back, since store content patches are no longer being offered?
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
    edited February 2018
    berginon wrote: »
    I didn't mean it is because of a virus. What I meant is that; I have a backup of the patch now, but what happens if it gets deleted by a virus, or I somehow accidently delete it? How am I supposed to install it back, since store content patches are no longer being offered?

I have everything mods, several copies of the Content Patch and my Store Items all backed up on a couple of external HDD's. That way if I lose one I still have another somewhere else safe.

*Edit*
    Currently if you lose it there is no way to get another Content Patch so make sure you have some copies of it on an external HDD or two.
    @berginon Yes, what ScottDemon said. Have lots of backups. We could also upload the folder to make it available for everyone who needs it.

@igazor Would it be possible to keep a download of the ContentPatch folder available on the NRaas site?
    edited February 2018
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    @igazor Would it be possible to keep a download of the ContentPatch folder available on the NRaas site?
    We can do that, but wouldn't want to annoy EA if they deem that to be against the rules. Would prefer to hear from them first as to why it's no longer being offered automatically and how they would feel about others making it publicly available. In the meantime, if any 1.67 players really need a replacement store patch they can PM me or contact me by PM at NRaas.

Many of us do have things like this all backed up in safe places. Not just because we are expecting viruses to suddenly come knocking on our doors but with computers anything can happen -- hard drives can fail and need to be replaced or systems need to wiped and games reinstalled for other reasons. Relatively small things like this can easily be overlooked in the process.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited July 2018
    Look at what I found. So they're still there, just don't download automatically anymore. @igazor Is this the right thing?

https://www.thesims3.com/store/patches
    Post edited by ZeeGee on
    ZeeGee wrote: »
    Look at what I found. So they're still there, just don't download automatically anymore. @igazor Is this the right thing?

https://www.thesims3.com/store/patches

Afraid not it gives the description of what they added to the patch but no download link anywhere.
    Oh sorry, I thought the big blue down arrow was the download link.
    Due to a recent post by TOLKIEN in the general section of the Sims 3 forum, I'm going to provide a link to download the patches. This is a simfileshare direct download so no adfly or other covert links.

CONTENT PATCH DOWNLOAD
  • SimTeenRMSimTeenRM Posts: 200 Member
    @ZeeGee
    I have been searching everywhere for a way to download the most recent store patch. I think this will be the thing that finally lets me download my store content properly (following a cataclysmic computer death which has left me scrambling through complex recovery processes trying to salvage as much of my Sims data as I can from the ruins). In short, thank you! Thank you, thank you, thank you, for the love of God thank you!
    Always Remember to Smile =)
    @SimTeenRM You're very welcome. :)
    The official answer from EA is.... update to 1.69. See first post which I've updated.

@igazor I was RIGHT! Bwaahaaahaaa. (jk, please don't stop helping me)
    edited July 2018
    @ZeeGee - Uhm, who are you again? o:)

Okay, much time has passed here and I've come to agree (quite a few months ago) that the removal of the patches for 1.67 players was going to be permanent. The official stance now that players should update to an Origin controlled 1.69 game in order to get the fixes is disappointing, but not as surprising as it seemed so long ago.

Those of you who are still offering the store patches up as downloads for other players on 1.67 who need them should be commended, you are helping them out a great deal. Or even if their content, games, and ability to install store content still work exactly the same way with or without them, at least it's one less thing for them to worry about if/when something goes wrong.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    @ZeeGee - Uhm, who are you again? o:)

I am your NUMBER ONE FAN...

:wink:
  • joralydjoralyd Posts: 55 Member
    can I just but in here? I just want to double check, should there be files in my ContentPatch folder if I have store content? my game is 1.69 patched, PC version.
    The folder is currently empty but Ive managed to find the latest patches, just not sure if I need them?
    I took the pledge
    joralyd wrote: »
    can I just but in here? I just want to double check, should there be files in my ContentPatch folder if I have store content? my game is 1.69 patched, PC version.
    The folder is currently empty but Ive managed to find the latest patches, just not sure if I need them?
    On Patch 1.69, the store content patches are in the Program Files and are put there by Origin. They do not need to be in the user game folder in Documents as with 1.67.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    Just a slight bump because this thread is very useful!!! :wink:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top