Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is DCBackup folder?

2...Next

Comments

• mickeysimmousemickeysimmouse Posts: 41 Member
    I don't mean to necro an old thread, but I have a concern. I am a creator, well a brand new one. I recently built a house and shared screenshots, and people really want me to upload it to be downloaded. The problem is, I've deleted everything in the DCBackup folder. I was completely unaware that you can't upload creations with CC if you do that until I found this thread. Is there any solution to this? Do I have to re-download every piece of CC in the build in order for it to work properly?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    I don't mean to necro an old thread, but I have a concern. I am a creator, well a brand new one. I recently built a house and shared screenshots, and people really want me to upload it to be downloaded. The problem is, I've deleted everything in the DCBackup folder. I was completely unaware that you can't upload creations with CC if you do that until I found this thread. Is there any solution to this? Do I have to re-download every piece of CC in the build in order for it to work properly?
    In that case, you would need to reinstall the relevant CC so that the DC Backup entries can be re-created. Whether that requires downloading them again depends on whether you have spare copies of the sims3pack files for that CC to install again.

If players do not have the CC you have used on their own, then the game will make somewhat random and not always pretty or appropriate substitutions wherever you have used the CC that players are lacking.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    In that case, you would need to reinstall the relevant CC so that the DC Backup entries can be re-created. Whether that requires downloading them again depends on whether you have spare copies of the sims3pack files for that CC to install again.

If players do not have the CC you have used on their own, then the game will make somewhat random and not always pretty or appropriate substitutions wherever you have used the CC that players are lacking.

One more question. I've read that the files that appear in DCBackup after installing CC through the launcher are package files, and therefore can be moved to your mods folder like other package files. Is this true? And if it is, can I still upload creations and have the CC be installed by the downloader normally, or would they have to have the files in their package folders as well?

I really just want to get away from using the launcher for CC as much as possible, basically I only want to use it for store content. It's just so much easier to sort, keep track of, and remove custom content using the mods folder.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There are ways to extract and convert sims3pack content to package files for your own use. I've never heard of putting the files originally landing in DC Backup in Mods\Packages and have no idea if that would work, perhaps someone else here can comment on that.

http://modthesims.info/d/364038
    (but I see you already have this tool and have posted there)

But either way, I don't see how that will help others who wish to download your creations if they do not have the same package based CC installed that you have used on them.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    edited July 2018
    There are ways to extract and convert sims3pack content to package files for your own use. I've never heard of putting the files originally landing in DC Backup in Mods\Packages and have no idea if that would work, perhaps someone else here can comment on that.

@mickeysimmouse Yes, when you install a sims3pack it puts a package file into your dcbackup folder. If you move that package file into your mods/packages folder you will have that content in your game. However, as igazor said, it won't upload with a build as a package file in the mods folder. You have to have the sims3pack installed and the package file in the dcbackup folder for the content to be uploaded with your build.

If it is store content, you don't have to have the package file in the dcbackup folder. If the person who downloads it owns and has installed the store content you've used, the game will recognize it and put it in its proper place. I personally tested that out and it worked.
    ZeeGee wrote: »

@mickeysimmouse Yes, when you install a sims3pack it puts a package file into your dcbackup folder. If you move that package file into your mods/packages folder you will have that content in your game. However, as igazor said, it won't upload with a build as a package file in the mods folder. You have to have the sims3pack installed and the package file in the dcbackup folder for the content to be uploaded with your build.

If it is store content, you don't have to have the package file in the dcbackup folder. If the person who downloads it owns and has installed the store content you've used, the game will recognize it and put it in its proper place. I personally tested that out and it worked.

Thank you both! Yes, I have the tool and downloaded it, and fully intended on using it. But I was unable to even open it because I'm on a Mac...So I decided to see if there were any alternates and came across that solution. I suppose I'll have to provide downloaders with links to all of my CC if they want it to look right...lol.

Thanks again for your help!